Come Ride New Epic Arizona Singletrack With Us!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Come Ride New Epic Arizona Singletrack With Us!

We've discovered some really good, epic singletrack north of Payson this summer. I won't say these trails are new, but they are definitely not well known to the mountain bike world.

If anyone wants to do some good long rides before the snows fly on the Rim, you are welcome to join us. I will be doing a 30-40 miler on Sunday morning October 12th. So far I'm doing the ride on my own, but would welcome anyone who wants to join me.

I am going to ride (hike) up the face of the Mogollon Rim, and then ride some of the best, unknown singletrack you can imagine. All of the singletrack will be above 7,000 feet. This ride ends with a fast downhill down the Mogollon Rim. You get bragging rights that you rode up and down the rim. Going up and down the rim is a bit of a hike a bike, but it saves an hour or more of driving on dirt roads, and I'd rather be on my bike than in my car.

This is a bit of a discovery ride too, as I do not know anyone yet who has done this entire loop. We Payson riders have been riding this area all summer, but none of us have taken the time to do the longer loop.

We are doing a Payson locals ride on Sunday October 19th up on the Rim too. This ride will be in a different area, but should be another good Epic exploring new areas.

There's a lot of singletrack on the Mogollon Rim, north of Payson, that is screaming to be explored. What we've discovered is good stuff. I think it rivals anything else I've personally ridden in Arizona, and I feel these trails could become the next hot spot in Arizona Mountain Biking.

If interested in riding with us RSVP! These aren't slow rides, and they aren't fast rides. These are definite Soul Rides.

Cheers,

Mick Wolf - mickbwolf@yahoo.com

more beers, lees gears.
    so north of Payson, how are you getting there? we have a cabin in pine, and have yet to find many good trails.
    A burrito is a sleeping bag for ground beef.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

From Pine

We haven't discovered much in the Payson/Pine/Christopher Creek areas either.

All the good stuff seems to be on the Rim in the Coconino and Sitgreaves forests. Since the Tonto NF Payson Ranger District can't control motorized off-road use, there isn't much around Payson that isn't quad track. What singletrack lies around Pine, such as the Highline, seems to not be good for riding, or so I've been told.

The trails we are riding on the Rim are closed to motorized use, and they are signed for hiking, mountain biking, and horseback riding. I think the singletrack is only recently getting good signage, trail maintenance, and even new singletrack has been put in this summer.

The problem is none of these trails are a hop, skip, and a jump from anywhere. You have to take the time to drive to them.

We rode one trail system early in the summer, and the singletrack would come and go. We'd ride half a mile on some good trail, then the trail would totally disappear. The only thing keeping us on the bikes were the non-trail sections were flagged, so we'd follow the flagging. After a couple of months, we came back, rode that area again, and discovered someone put in new singletrack, and the entire loop was now good riding.

As for how we are getting to these trailheads, it's mostly all dirt road access.

If you want specific directions to these trails, privately email me, or stop by the bike shop in Payson, and we'll write them out for you, or come ride them with us. I will say that the first few times we rode these trails, we got lost a lot. Having ridden the trails once or twice helped us a lot. I wouldn't say though, we have great local knowledge of these trails just yet. That's why we plan to ride them more before winter sets in.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Is anyone creating GPS tracks from your explorations?
    Do what it takes to move through

Exhale Bikes
    2814 W Bell Rd
    Phoenix, AZ 85053-7530
    (602) 548-0567

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Gps

It will get GPS'd in due time, and we will list that, but I don't use a GPS, and have no intentions to.

If anyone with a GPS wants to come ride this with us, we'd love to see the results.

Tucson, AZ
    Hope to get up there soon...the next few weeks are busy with rides/races.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Sunday Rides

I work 6 days a week, and can only do my big off-road rides on Sunday, but if we get a good, mild, dry fall, we plan to ride every Sunday from now until too much snow covers the trails.

We can plan good Sunday rides from here on out. The other ride we need to get in is a Lake Mary to Blue Ridge Reservoir ride, then a Blue Ridge Reservoir to Washington Park ride. Those are two Epics along the Arizona trail that I hear has good singletrack.

We'd have to shuttle these rides as they will be one way, but with enough riders and trucks, that shouldn't be a problem.

more beers, lees gears.
    around pine, there is pint trail head. Its okay. Not the best riding, but lots ridable.

I have ridden the Pine-Strawberry loop, and its basically ridding hard scable road till it ends (really long steep climb) and then taking forrest service road to straberry, back along the highway.

I know the AZ trail runs along the 87, and I have seen signs, but hard to find the trail as it fades away in many areas like others mentioned.

Im excited to see the progression of a bike / hike only trail.
    A burrito is a sleeping bag for ground beef.

Members who have read this thread: 0