Coast to Coast on Sunday?- Mtbr.com
    Occidental Tourist

Coast to Coast on Sunday?

Anyone up for a coast to coast on Sunday? If I can get a yes or to I'll have to go. I have yet to go past telegraph - not for lack of skill or anything but the coast to coast would be more fun with some participants. I wuz thinking earlyish, say 7?
    Where do you hook back up with the trail after it dumps you at Telegraph?

Glutton for punishment
    Not sure we'd be able to make it, but I'll find out by tomorrow.

Picking up National after Telegraph is easy - ride down the road across the pass (heading W) and look for the trail marker posts, the one on the right takes you down Kiwanis to the Central trailhead. National starts on the left (you'll make a u turn on the road and start the killer climb). It's a long steep, rocky uphill that seems to go on forever. Then it levels out and gets fun, but totally different than the East end of National.

ScottN

Saucy Size
    Quote Originally Posted by crash test dummy
    Anyone up for a coast to coast on Sunday? If I can get a yes or to I'll have to go. I have yet to go past telegraph - not for lack of skill or anything but the coast to coast would be more fun with some participants. I wuz thinking earlyish, say 7?
    Ride up the road about 20 yards and look for the trail that turns back up the mountain and heads up to a little rock building. It'll be a hike-a-bike to get up on that ridge. Steppy staircase thing.

p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

Skinny legged XC geek

More hike-a-bike than you'd expect

Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    Ride up the road about 20 yards and look for the trail that turns back up the mountain and heads up to a little rock building. It'll be a hike-a-bike to get up on that ridge. Steppy staircase thing.
    There's more hike-a-bike in the first quarter to half mile than you'd expect, but once past that, you'll have a really nice trail all to yourself. The only other section I remember for its difficulty is a steep, loose downhill about halfway from Telegrpah to the far end. I walked a good chunk of that, too. In between, the trail is really fun with great views. Make sure you take it all the way to the bitter end at the rock house at the San Juan lookout. Most folks ride the canal system and streets back, or if they have more energy left, ride up the road to Buena Vista and back down the east end of National. If you're really smart (heh, heh) you'll have a shuttle ride and some cold ones waiting for you at San Juan.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Shuttle National C2C?

Quote Originally Posted by pedalAZ
    If you're really smart (heh, heh) you'll have a shuttle ride and some cold ones waiting for you at San Juan.
    If you are man enough to ride coast to coast, at least be man enough to ride back under your own power. If you want cold beverages, ride to a bar afterwards. Leave the frickin' cars at home. There's too many as it is on the roads without people shuttling bikes all over the place. Rant out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hey Scott,

What's the Kiwanis trail like? I was eyeing it the other day but didn't know if anyone had ridden it. Is it better than Geronimo?

I dunno what I'll ride this weekend. My schedule plus mercury rising only leaves ~3hrs. Maybe I'll try the Kiwanis loop.

-kevin

Occidental Tourist
    Quote Originally Posted by murphy
    If you are man enough to ride coast to coast, at least be man enough to ride back under your own power. If you want cold beverages, ride to a bar afterwards. Leave the frickin' cars at home. There's too many as it is on the roads without people shuttling bikes all over the place. Rant out.
    Well if anyone else actually joins me on this we can vote on the route back - either via the canals or back up Vista - otherwise it'll be a one man dictatorship

I just got goth served!

Bonking ... not feelin' well Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by murphy
    If you are man enough to ride... ...at least be man enough to ride back...
    Damn, am I doing something wrong here? All this time, I've been using my feet and legs to pedal, and my arms and hands to steer, with a little hip and torso action for body english, but I've never used my man parts while riding. I usually have them tucked out of the way in my chamois. As a matter of fact, the few times they have contacted the bike while riding, it usually resulted in great pain.

Am I missing out? Is there some sort of pedalling efficiency lost for not using my male genitalia? I'm confused. Can some one fill me in here?

Is riding now somehow gender-specific or genitalia-invloved?

brian
    insert witty comment here

mr. wonderful
    kiwanis is a blast, arguably the best trail on the hill. it certainly has the best 100 yards of sustained technical descent on south. more technical than geronimo, along the likes holbert or 24th street. and it's fun to ride both up and down.

Glutton for punishment
    Agreed, Kiwanis is tough stuff but fun. Very short, but then you can just ride back up and have a go at another trail.

ScottN

freak of nature
    ctd-

keep riding, my genetically challenged friend. devin and i did a 20 mile out and back last night. we went at 7pm from the u of a out to starr pass and all around. it was a sweet and fast-paced ride with lights. no rattlers, but a boat load of geckos and moths. i was a bit worked this morning, considering the all-out pace and the beers (at kingfisher) that followed.

i am going to ride a big ride up on mt lemmon saturday. i need one more good high-elevation climbing ride before prescott. i'll be thinking of you while i'm yaking on the side of the trail.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by hcooper; 04-29-2004 at 01:57 PM.
    may your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. may your mountains rise into and above the clouds.
    -edward abbey

Occidental Tourist

La Virign

Quote Originally Posted by hcooper

i am going to ride a big ride up on mt lemmon saturday. i need one more good high-elevation climbing ride before prescott. i'll be thinking of you while i'm yaking on the side of the trail.
    I hear your yack spot in prescott looks the virgin mary and that the faithful are flocking to the site. Where ya riding on lemon? I heard most of the trails are still closed- cept of course the lower stuff. why don't you nix the lemon and come ride something new?

Drugstore Trailrider

CTD, are you still planning to do this ride Sunday?

Your thread has taken several turns, so I am not clear whether you still plan to do this ride. I am interested in joining you, but would be coming up from Tucson, so I would hope not to start before about 7am.

If you are riding, what time did you have in mind to start?

John W.
    Body Armor--Don't Leave Home Without It!

Occidental Tourist

welcome to short attention-span theatre

Quote Originally Posted by papajohn
    Your thread has taken several turns, so I am not clear whether you still plan to do this ride. I am interested in joining you, but would be coming up from Tucson, so I would hope not to start before about 7am.

If you are riding, what time did you have in mind to start?

John W.
    Yup I'm still doing the ride. My only concern with starting later then 7 is that it is supposed to hit 97 on Sunday. I'd be willing to bump it a bit - What time can you make it by?

Drugstore Trailrider

I hear you about the heat.

Yup I'm still doing the ride. My only concern with starting later then 7 is that it is supposed to hit 97 on Sunday. I'd be willing to bump it a bit - What time can you make it by?
    If I leave Oro Valley at 4:30am (AARRRGH), which I can, I would be at the Pima Canyon Trailhead parking around 6:15, and we could be on our way around 6:30.

Would that work for you? Have you got any other takers?

John W.

Occidental Tourist
    If I leave Oro Valley at 4:30am (AARRRGH), which I can, I would be at the Pima Canyon Trailhead parking around 6:15, and we could be on our way around 6:30.

Would that work for you? Have you got any other takers?

John W.
    Why don't we bump your departure time to 5 and plan on meeting a 6:45 at Pima Canyon. I think that'll give us enough time to ride to the end before it gets too hot and we can always cruise back via the canals (and a circleK) so if its hot then we won't be too much worse for wear. Looking like it'll just be you and me. Check you PMs for my contact info as I likely won't be online after 3pm today.

Drugstore Trailrider

That sounds like a plan.

Why don't we bump your departure time to 5 and plan on meeting a 6:45 at Pima Canyon. I think that'll give us enough time to ride to the end before it gets too hot and we can always cruise back via the canals (and a circleK) so if its hot then we won't be too much worse for wear. Looking like it'll just be you and me. Check you PMs for my contact info as I likely won't be online after 3pm today.
    I'll be in a red Toyota Tacoma Prerunner with matching camper shell on an Ellsworth Id that is the same color. (No, that WASN'T intentional, I am not that anal).

I assume you will be the guy with his middle finger prominently displayed. I will indeed check PM and will leave you my cell #.

See you at 6:45 Sunday.

John W.

freak of nature

... and if we just ... Are you smokin' the rock, again?

I hear your yack spot in prescott looks the virgin mary and that the faithful are flocking to the site. Where ya riding on lemon? I heard most of the trails are still closed- cept of course the lower stuff. why don't you nix the lemon and come ride something new?
    listen crack-boy. trade a high elevation ride in the ponderosa pines for a four hour round trip drive to a 97 degree ride with 50,000 hikers walking three abreast? i think i will stick to my original plan. i do appreciate the offer, though.

i am going to check on the meadow/aspen closures and then make my decisions from there. i did an awesome shuttle a few weeks back that consisted of green mtn to hitchcock, down the road to prison camp, down molino and then across to la milagrosa. 20 miles through three life zones with an elevation drop of 5,500 ft.

enjoy the 97 degrees. no overheating, ok?

Occidental Tourist
    I assume you will be the guy with his middle finger prominently displayed.
    John W.
    Guilty as charged ;-) but I promise not to give you that signal. Just look for this truck

Occidental Tourist
    Quote Originally Posted by hcooper
    listen crack-boy. trade a high elevation ride in the ponderosa pines for a four hour round trip drive
    4 hours? you drive too slow

Drugstore Trailrider

Had a Blast on National today with CrashTestDummy

We got started from Pima Canyon at 7:00am, and didn't get back until noon. I only remember seeing three other riders the whole time! There were a lot of hikers but friendly vibes, and it wasn't like what I expected for a weekend.

We rode to San Juan Road, what we prefer to call "Coast to Coast" though I know the purists will point out that there is more of National to the West. I was incredibly impressed that CrashTestDummy was on a hardtail with a short travel fork, and he cleaned all but a very few short segments of even the sketchiest downhills. Nice riding Yuri!

Both of us being sissies, we didn't have the Right Stuff to ride back up to Buena Vista, so we slunk along the canals for the shameful low altitude ride back to the trailhead. Glad there are no photos of that.

I rode La Milagrosa with "Ironbar" yesterday, so this weekend I got two really enjoyable rides in with AZ Forum members that I had never met before. That is what I hoped might start happening. Very cool.

John W.

Occidental Tourist
    Amen to a sweet ride. I'm going to have to start doing that one more often. John doesn't give himself any props so I will. That guy is faster and more brave than many guys I know half his age and nary a complaint out of his mouth as he rode his Id up Nat'l and bombed down it. There were a few diggers on the ride but nothing too bad and no mechanicals. I cetainly gained a whole prespective on the FOTP. hasta