Thread: co2 cartridges

Eleven - it's one louder

co2 cartridges

What's a good (preferably local) source for 16g co2 cart's? Unthreaded are fine. I have heard they are cheapest by the case from paintball supply stores but I can't find them that way. The best deal I've found are 3 for $10 at Walmart.
    Today's solid oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground. -Anonymous

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBadConrad
    What's a good (preferably local) source for 16g co2 cart's? Unthreaded are fine. I have heard they are cheapest by the case from paintball supply stores but I can't find them that way. The best deal I've found are 3 for $10 at Walmart.
    Yes, you can get them cheap at Walmart, Kmart, etc., but this is the easiest way to show a little support for your LBS, and get to know them. I have probably 10 cartridges, most if not all of of them I bought because my LBS wasn't going to charge me for some small repair. I bought three after Sunday Cycles charged me nada for getting a pesky pedal off my crank.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

dirt visionary
    I am all for supporting the LBS but certain with certain things it nice not to get rapped for a rebranded/repackaged item that sells for a small fraction elsewhere.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by clockwork
    I am all for supporting the LBS but certain with certain things it nice not to get rapped for a rebranded/repackaged item that sells for a small fraction elsewhere.
    I wasn't necessarily talking about the one shops have with their branding. Just saying that CO2 cartridges are inexpensive and just a small way to show a shop a little love. It goes a long way.

dirt visionary
    Neither was I . I was refering to the industry. I get a 40ct for 22 shipped and if I am in need I pay 30 from a gun shop. If you pay more than $1 for a co2 threaded or non threaded your getting rapped sorry. Ideal price is .50cents a pop

mtbr member
    Neither was I . I was refering to the industry. I get a 40ct for 22 shipped and if I am in need I pay 30 from a gun shop. If you pay more than $1 for a co2 threaded or non threaded your getting rapped sorry. Ideal price is .50cents a pop
    Ok, wasn't sure what you meant by rebranded/repackaged. 40 cartridges is a lot. You must get a lot of flats.

dirt visionary
    nope but not paying 3 bucks for one.

Got a suspension fork
    I bought a bunch of 'food service' grade 16oz cartridges off of eBay for I think it was around $1 per cartridge.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

Eroding into the trail
    Check the head shops, sometimes 20 pk (or more) for good $$.

Big B's Trails
    Why do head shops have co2?
    I dig dirt!

dirt visionary
    its called nitrous oxide its for homemade whipped cream but the kids huff it for a quick buzz

Big B's Trails
    Yeah I'm familiar with whipits but we used whip cream cans didn't know they were making "homemade" ones now....
    I dig dirt!

dirt visionary
    Yeah they have a lil cracker that punctures the cartrige and fills a ballon they huff. My grndma used to make homemade whipped cream and it was the bom way better than store bought stuff.

No Clue Crew
    Great clue, Randy! Sometimes I forget the obvious...

30 16g for $49 w/ shipping

Eleven - it's one louder
    Do you mind sharing where you get them? I am new to CO2 inflators and was surprised at how much the cartridges cost. I am totally supportive of my LBS (2 actually. Spent $300 in them this week alone), but figure I can save a few $$ on these.
    Today's solid oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground. -Anonymous

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    I wasn't necessarily talking about the one shops have with their branding. Just saying that CO2 cartridges are inexpensive and just a small way to show a shop a little love. It goes a long way.
    Are LBS taking donations??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PhxChem
    Are LBS taking donations??
    Huh? Who said anything about paying for nothing? It's 3 friggin dollars (if that's what the cost; to be honest I have no idea what I paid).

If you absolutely, positively need 30 C02 cartridges, by all means get them online, at a painball shop, etc. All I was saying is, it's easily the cheapest item you can buy at a LBS (outside maybe a patch kit), and you get some positive ju-ju in the interim.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Huh? Who said anything about paying for nothing? It's 3 friggin dollars (if that's what the cost; to be honest I have no idea what I paid).
    Alright.....jsut the normal amount og MTBR snark.

However, this is much more major issure that must be addressed:

Quote Originally Posted by ImaFred
    Why do head shops have co2?
    its called nitrous oxide its for homemade whipped cream but the kids huff it for a quick buzz
    Chemistry mode on........

Ummmmmmm.....since when is CO2 called nitrous oxide? I mean, it's possible that IUPAC (it's real, look it up) made some changes overnight and decided to confuse the entire world of chemistry.

Assuming that didn't happen, carbon dioxide (CO2) is not the same as nitrous oxide (also known as dinitrogen oxide, N2O).

However, N2O does come in little catridges like CO2. And assuming it does not somehow react with the rubber in your tires (can't vouch for that), it could also be used. And as long as it is under the same pressure as CO2 cartridges, you would have the same amount of gas to fill your tires. And apparently, you can also get high while you're at it..........

Chemistry mode off.....

dirt visionary
    I was pointing out it wasn't c02 and that it was nitrous the head shop has. Never said they were the same

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I get mine @ Wal-Mart 25 for around $20 I think.

Eroding into the trail
    I have seen ads from several head shops for Co2 cartridges, I never knew they had NOS.
    Professional restaurant supply companies may be another source for Co2 (used in professional chef type whipped cream canisters), but maybe Walmart is cheaper IDK.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I've gone through quite a few cartridges myself, and due to buy another 50 or so.

- I have a road bike, mountain bike, and beater
    - My wife has a road bike and mountain bike
    - I run across a lot of knuckle heads on the road or trail that don't have the proper gear and I'm a nice guy (I also use a lot of patch kits)

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I was pointing out it wasn't c02 and that it was nitrous the head shop has. Never said they were the same
    My bad....I suppose I expect scientific illiteracy from most people. Since you didn't say "yes" or "no" to the question, your statement was open to interpretation. I assumed the worst (which is normal for the general public, no offence general public...you're really a good bunch of nice people).

Now if the general public could only get behind ridding the world of the deadly solvent dihydrogen monoxide.....my work would be done.....

No Clue Crew
    FWiW...

I bought these 16gr cartridges off ebay. Unfortunately, I do not have the screw on head like many of you do. I've got the fully contained version.

The cheap threaded cartridges are about 1/16" longer than the unthreaded cartridges that GI designed their product for. I would bet their threaded cartridges are shorter as well so we can't use cheaper air. Probably even different threads. Dicks.

So, I went to Big 5 and bought 15 12gr Daisy cartridges for $13. Until I decide on buying a Microflate, I'm sure I will at some point, or similar I'll stick with the 12gr.

Members who have read this thread: 0