Closed or not?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Closed or not?

mtbr member

Closed or not?

Haven't rode Mane Event on the backside of Hawes yet but whatsup with the sign and bloackage that was up Tuesday and gone a few days later? was it accepted by the FS?

IMG_3940 by driverfound337, on Flickr
    IMG_3941 by driverfound337, on Flickr

I am Walt
    Closed and returned to its natural state by the FS. Gonzo...
    Ride more; post less...

My other ride is your mom
    I once heard of some guys building out there off the grid....one day some of them, or someone who knew them, posted up a video on the u-tubes and bragged about it. Then, someone built a nice wooden sign to advertise said new trail. It was a nice wood sign which required some woodwork. It was identical in style to those you see at Gold Canyon and sometimes....shock...horror....Sedona.

Well, that sign got torn down by someone. Later, another sign showed up....but this time....the builder put up a metal post with bent bolts to prevent someone from tearing said sign down or its post. That someone who cut down the original sign went out there...some say at night...and cut that metal post down too and then took that pretty wooden trail sign as a trophy.

I'm not sure if it's the same crew building the trails....but I'm guessing that the person who still has that wooden sign they took under the starlight still looks at it and chuckles with a beer in her hand. That person is no longer local, but if she were....I'm guessing she might be looking for another trophy.

mtbr member
    I also noticed that there are a few other trails no longer listed on online sites like trailforks.com such as Alpe d'Huez (sp?) and Goat Trail. Wonder if they've been shutdown by the FS too.

mtbr member
    Love me that High Horse trail whih was removed as well, My favorite one out there!

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by chillis View Post
    I also noticed that there are a few other trails no longer listed on online sites like trailforks.com such as Alpe d'Huez (sp?) and Goat Trail. Wonder if they've been shutdown by the FS too.
    Not shut down; the FS asked for them to be removed from Trailforks. But Mane Event was too much, and they drew the line there, and nuked it. They’ve agreed not to close the other “illegal” trails as long as the wildcat building stops.

There is a planning meeting with the Hawes Trail Alliance this coming Tuesday for all of us to align on this so we can avoid these situations going forward.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by Driverfound337 View Post
    Love me that High Horse trail whih was removed as well, My favorite one out there!
    I think High Horse is already one of the better trails out there; it flows really well from E -> W. Great routing and build quality...it is already really solid and bedded in.

Ride more; post less...

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz View Post
    I think High Horse is already one of the better trails out there; it flows really well from E -> W. Great routing and build quality...it is already really solid and bedded in.

Is this the narrow singletrack that peels off to the left and back west (when on TS or Wild Horse heading east to The Pit) and sneakily joins back up to the bottom of Mine, at the backside of the hill?

Came across it last week, along with the signed closure and got to talking to another rider about it, he was surprised when he pulled up TF and is was no longer there. Anyhow it was nice to be on real singletrack, only a few feet wide, for now.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    Is this the narrow singletrack that peels off to the left and back west (when on TS or Wild Horse heading east to The Pit) and sneakily joins back up to the bottom of Mine, at the backside of the hill?

Came across it last week, along with the signed closure and got to talking to another rider about it, he was surprised when he pulled up TF and is was no longer there. Anyhow it was nice to be on real singletrack, only a few feet wide, for now.
    High Horse roughly parallels Wild Horse, just to the south of it. The east end starts towards the east end of Wild Horse, and the west end rejoins Wild Horse about 1/2-3/4 mile east of the juncture with Twisted. It will remain open.

Mane Event started at about the same place as High Horse, on the east, and paralleled HH and WH, a bit further south than HH. It continued all the way up to Twisted Sister, just short of the “white rock” droppy area. It’s closed and has been covered.

The trail that joins the bottom of Mine is Horse Tale, which is a good, tough trail, and starts just north (towards the road) of the Twisted/Wild Horse juncture.

Hope that helps...your description was kind of unclear.

Ride more; post less...

EDR
    ^^^
    Yeah describing locations is difficult.

I came to a sign while going down twisted sister but I didn't take note of what the sign said. I'm pretty sure it was at the junction where to the right begins wild horse, or if you continued straight it would take you down to the highway towards the river. while looking at that I found a trail to the left which was unsigned but had a ton of tire tracks on it so I took that back towards the West and eventually it skirted along the north side of the (Mine tr.) hill and joined up at the bottom of mine trail. It's no longer shown on TF.

EDR
    If you look at the junction of where twisted sister and wild horse meet (or somewhere around there) it fills the void westwardly back to saguaro, on the North end

I am Walt
    ^^^
    Yeah describing locations is difficult.

I came to a sign while going down twisted sister but I didn't take note of what the sign said. I'm pretty sure it was at the junction where to the right begins wild horse, or if you continued straight it would take you down to the highway towards the river. while looking at that I found a trail to the left which was unsigned but had a ton of tire tracks on it so I took that back towards the West and eventually it skirted along the north side of the (Mine tr.) hill and joined up at the bottom of mine trail. It's no longer shown on TF.
    The sign you saw was likely at the closed west end of Mane Event.

The trail you found, and went left on, is Horse Tale. Good, tough trail, though some of the routing is suspect and will probably be fixed.

Ride more; post less...

I am Walt
    If you look at the junction of where twisted sister and wild horse meet (or somewhere around there) it fills the void westwardly back to saguaro, on the North end
    Yep; that’s Horse Tale. The Forest Service had Trailforks remove all of the “illegal” trails. For now.

Ride more; post less...

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by rydndrt View Post
    So, some "wildcat" trails are OK, but others are not? What makes the difference, just something as simple as timing.
    Technically, none are OK, but the FS had left it alone until the building - and publicity - really increased over the past year/year and a half. The building and "opening" of Mane Event, including a sign the builder stuck in the ground at the east end, were the straw that broke the camel's back. The FS said they were closing and rehabbing Mane Event, but will leave the rest along, and work on getting them adopted, unless the wildcat building continues, in which case, they'll start closing other "illegal" trails.

Net-net, the Hawes Trail Alliance is now working closely with the FS to get the current illegal trails adopted, and coordinate trail planning and building efforts going forward. In fact, there was a meeting this past Tuesday night where the HTA, in conjunction with the FS, presented a vision of a master plan for Hawes, including some very cool new stuff. Anyway, lots of moving parts right now.
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the info, waltaz.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by rydndrt View Post
    Hopefully, the land managers and advocacy groups can begin to adopt a proactive approach to keeping up with the "demand," and try to stay a little bit ahead of the curve.
    Who has money? The Phoenix Parks Dept doesn't have money for trail maintenance let alone adding trails to keep up with "demand." I doubt there are many parks or government entities that put enough value on recreational trails to dump money into them... Thus the rogue trail builders.

Ahhh the pain....
    Walt, thanks for being part of that trail group...need more folks to get involved in that sort of thing to build "bridges" with land managers. Keep it up...and you need to host an EB ride out there before it gets too hot.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    Who has money? The Phoenix Parks Dept doesn't have money for trail maintenance let alone adding trails to keep up with "demand." I doubt there are many parks or government entities that put enough value on recreational trails to dump money into them... Thus the rogue trail builders.
    Actually, the Hawes Trail Alliance just got a donation from MBAA (if I recall correctly), and is about to pick up a “five-figure” donation from the City of Mesa as a part of a large land sale that was just completed near Hawes. The sale included the stipulation that ‘x’ millions of dollars would go towards recreation (or something to that effect), and this is part of that.

Plus, there is a very large volunteer contingent that is involved and turning out for trail building and maintenance days. Pretty impressive.

Ride more; post less...

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    Walt, thanks for being part of that trail group...need more folks to get involved in that sort of thing to build "bridges" with land managers. Keep it up...and you need to host an EB ride out there before it gets too hot.
    It’s my backyard! And yes, I know I need to host something...need to get my shite together!

Ride more; post less...

EDR
    I went out there again today. Props to all of you that are all working on the area. There are lots of new trails, new to me at least.

my intention was to ride all the way up microwave tower road and down Hawes back to the highway but I chickened out at the closed gate. I know it's always closed and I've been up there before but only on a weekend. today the locks on the chain were on the inside as if someone had locked it after they went in... And there was a full trash can at the gate waiting to be picked up. I was pretty certain that there were people up in the buildings above, so I turned around and came back all the way. Good times!

Saw this today. Biggest desert tortoise I've ever come across. Small rattlesnake also delayed my trip a few minutes as it lounged in the middle of the trail.

EDR
    The sign you saw was likely at the closed west end of Mane Event.

The trail you found, and went left on, is Horse Tale. Good, tough trail, though some of the routing is suspect and will probably be fixed.

I scoped it out again today yeah that trail doesn't start from that junction exactly, you have to head down twisted sister 50 or 75 yards and then it's to the left and back to the Mine trail area. Anyhow I thought it was pretty cool and didn't think it was too tough, however I'm freaking Superman on a bike, or as others have described me...more like an overweight Jessica Jones.

It also looked like someone was doing some recent work. There was fresh overturned dirt in several sections.

mtbr member
    Great to see a group of engaged enthusiasts working with the FS there to get some new trails on the ground! I've been working with the Tonto NF heavily on some OHV projects this year. They have a lot on their plate so it's great to see the willingness to work with the user group out there. I love the Hawes trail system.

Also, that's not a desert tortoise. Someone's pet that got dumped. Needs to be rounded up before it perishes in the summer...

dirt visionary
    There are a few that are trying to get it out of hawes. I think its just been the timing of where it was seen and how quick someone can get out to collect it.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by clockwork View Post
    There are a few that are trying to get it out of hawes. I think its just been the timing of where it was seen and how quick someone can get out to collect it.
    Well, I couldn't put it in my backpack. That's for sure.

dirt visionary
    You still rock a backpack? I thought we digressed to fanny packs lmao
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

EDR
    Hell yes! Water bottles are for posers.

My other ride is your mom
    It's not a fanny pack, it's an Enduro Bro Kit.

EDR
    Regarding horsetail trail. (For those looking for beta l

I rode it again today. This time I hopped on it from the bottom of mine trail and road it west to east. It was a lot harder in that direction. The steeps are very loose and I ended up pushing my bike up the hill a few times.. Highly recommend riding it east to west starting near the intersection of twisted sister and wildhorse. Just flows much better in that direction and makes a nice additional loop to add some mileage to your day if you want to get out of Hawes proper a little bit.

I am Walt
    Regarding horsetail trail. (For those looking for beta l

I rode it again today. This time I hopped on it from the bottom of mine trail and road it west to east. It was a lot harder in that direction. The steeps are very loose and I ended up pushing my bike up the hill a few times.. Highly recommend riding it east to west starting near the intersection of twisted sister and wildhorse. Just flows much better in that direction and makes a nice additional loop to add some mileage to your day if you want to get out of Hawes proper a little bit.
    Yep; E -> W rides much better, for sure.

Ride more; post less...

EDR
    Yep; E -> W rides much better, for sure.

Live and learn. Fun loop counterclockwise, kind of a grind to say the least in the opposite direction