Close to Home - Be Careful out there- Mtbr.com
    parenting for gnarness

Close to Home - Be Careful out there

Some of you may have seen this and other related articles.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/144325

Probably you read it and thought just another statistic, I have done that myself many times when the desert gets someone. In this case, the lost hiker is my neighbor directly across the street. We're not close, but certainly cordial and friendly, and our cul-de-sac is all worried about his wife.

Not enough is known to say if this was a user-error or just bad luck. I've heard he had 2 gal of water, was alone, and had hiked Flatiron before. He had his cell but did not have his cell phone on, which implies whatever happened was an accident not a dehydration or getting lost thing. I've done Flatiron half a dozen times, and its a tough hike, where you can get into the wrong set of boulders sometimes - I would not do it alone, but having done it several times, I can understand how you could think you could be ok doing it alone. I have witnessed several bad accidents on this trail, including one in my group once where a woman slipped and faceplanted and broke a tooth. I've made the round trip in 3 hrs when going hard, and while I probably would have left at the crack of dawn, I don't think his 7:30 departure was too bad.

This is all going through my head as I prepare to ride National and 24th St. today, probably by myself. Not really sure I have a point here other than to respect the trails and their dangers, stay on trail, and let someone know where you are going. good luck and be safe.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

Disgruntled Peccary
    I've been paying attention to that... and yes, all too easy to just chalk it up to another statistic. Especially so at the end of the summer. Stay safe out there.
    mike

My other ride is your mom
    reason #1 I got a SPOT.....I'm usually out alone and you never know. Even if I became unconscious, just being able to automatically report my current position or last known position is enough to get folks to my general location in case things go bad. Hope this turns out ok....regardless of user-error or not....the margin for ha-ha funny error discussed over beer vs. life epic error is pathetically small....far smaller than even experienced folks realize.

pedaller
    Unfortunately the hiker has been found - and he did not make it.

"Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

In the rear with the beer
    Prayers for him and his family. Another reminder to us all to appreciate each day and not take anything for granted
    Last edited by bigdudecycling; 09-16-2009 at 10:45 AM.
    Salvation Outdoor
    "Take it Outside...Again!!!"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdudecycling
    Prayers to his family. Another reminder to us all to appreciate each day.
    ^^

EDR
    Cholla, he was a member of Red Mtn. Comm. Church in our neighborhood.

Really very sad.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    Some of you may have seen this and other related articles.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/144325

Probably you read it and thought just another statistic, I have done that myself many times when the desert gets someone. In this case, the lost hiker is my neighbor directly across the street. We're not close, but certainly cordial and friendly, and our cul-de-sac is all worried about his wife.

Not enough is known to say if this was a user-error or just bad luck. I've heard he had 2 gal of water, was alone, and had hiked Flatiron before. He had his cell but did not have his cell phone on, which implies whatever happened was an accident not a dehydration or getting lost thing. I've done Flatiron half a dozen times, and its a tough hike, where you can get into the wrong set of boulders sometimes - I would not do it alone, but having done it several times, I can understand how you could think you could be ok doing it alone. I have witnessed several bad accidents on this trail, including one in my group once where a woman slipped and faceplanted and broke a tooth. I've made the round trip in 3 hrs when going hard, and while I probably would have left at the crack of dawn, I don't think his 7:30 departure was too bad.

This is all going through my head as I prepare to ride National and 24th St. today, probably by myself. Not really sure I have a point here other than to respect the trails and their dangers, stay on trail, and let someone know where you are going. good luck and be safe.
    Terrible news. I know Autumn has hiked out there a couple times, and we have a friend who does it almost on a weekly basis. Iíve never done it, but I hear there is a lot of scrambling.

The most scared I have been for my life was about a month after I moved to Phx. Dumbass me decided to do the Peralta Trail in the middle of the afternoon on the warmest day of the year: 118. A clue it was a bad idea was that there was not a car in the parking lot. Armed with my fanny back, and 2 20 oz bottles of water, I began the 12 mile loop. 6 miles in, I drank my last swig of water. Obviously turning around was not an option. About 2 miles from the trail head, I started to get queasy, and started seeing stars, etc. I had to stop every 5 mins, and there was not a shade tree in sight. Acting on pure instinct, I tried to drink the juice from the prickly pear fruit. I eventually made it to the car, but was scared shitless. I actually thought I was going to die.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

parenting for gnarness
    they found him. weird that it was on a simple trail near the parking area. Guess details to follow. There was a sheriff's truck parked at their house last night, i figured something bad was up.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/p...iker16-ON.html

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    How can you die on a half mile offroad sidewalk?
    how could they miss him on such a short trail?

Sorry to hear about your neighbor.
    and the lurker returns to the dark corner

Meatbomb
    A heart attack can kill you in the parking lot.

parenting for gnarness
    what I've heard is that he did have a heart attack, very close to the end. They found traces of his hike at the top. The parking area there is next to a campsite, and he was taking a short cut or something more directly to the parking area. Its pretty amazing that they would search for so long and not find him, but I don't know anything about search and rescue so really cant comment.

I don't know if the stress of the hike and heat contributed to the heart attack - i would think perhaps they would be aggravating factors, but really don't know. I know he was a pretty active guy, and an experienced hiker. The things to definitely take away from this are dont travel alone, and stay on the trail. Very sad.

mtbr member
    That sucks, On tuesday I went for a road ride after work on Pecos in Ahwatukee, and saw a police car stopped. Once I passed the cop car, I saw a lady loading what appeared to be either a Tri-bike or a road bike with aero bars badly dammaged into a car. In front of that was a Volkswagen with the front window bashed in and a huge dent on the hood. It makes you realize you need to be carefull and aware.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    what I've heard is that he did have a heart attack, very close to the end. They found traces of his hike at the top. The parking area there is next to a campsite, and he was taking a short cut or something more directly to the parking area. Its pretty amazing that they would search for so long and not find him, but I don't know anything about search and rescue so really cant comment.

I don't know if the stress of the hike and heat contributed to the heart attack - i would think perhaps they would be aggravating factors, but really don't know. I know he was a pretty active guy, and an experienced hiker. The things to definitely take away from this are dont travel alone, and stay on the trail. Very sad.
    That is what I am sayin. If he was on a 1/2 mile loop trail, and tried to take a shortcut back, how far was he from his bike? Seems like the search should have started from his last known location at the motorcyle. They must have searched alot of miles when he was 200 ft from their search HQ.
    and the lurker returns to the dark corner

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by ttocs
    That is what I am sayin. If he was on a 1/2 mile loop trail, and tried to take a shortcut back, how far was he from his bike? Seems like the search should have started from his last known location at the motorcyle. They must have searched alot of miles when he was 200 ft from their search HQ.
    *nod*
    but like I said, I've never done search and rescue, and obviously they had plenty of skilled people out there, so you have to believe they did the best job they could. The only thing I've done by way of comparison was years ago in lifeguard training, we had the whole class close our eyes and sweep the bottom of the pool in a grid, looking for a brick. you'd think it would be easy, but it took a long time for us to find it. Thankfully, it probably made no difference - you'd hate for the family to be thinking "what if..." another good reason to wear tacky bike jerseys.

wow....just, wow.

Members who have read this thread: 0