mtbr member

Christmas/New Years Sedona?!

Hello everyone, searched the forums and couldn't really find a lot of information on this one. Planning a mountain biking trip to Sedona 12/27-1/5, does anyone have beta on trail conditions during this time of year?

I read that it can be freeze/thaw giving you sloppy trails. If that's the case, are there trails to ride that don't get damaged when ridden wet? Is there somewhere within a 3ish hour drive from Sedona which would have good 'wet' weather riding if there's freeze/thaw?

Thanks everyone & really appreciate any advice or trail conditions! Currently a medical student in effing Iowa and jonesing for some sweet desert riding
    A medical student who wandered into Iowa

mtbr member
    The freeze-thaw dealio really only comes into play during a cold snap that follows a couple of inches of snow. The sun is so low in the sky in Dec-Jan that nothing dries out during the warmer part of the day. The Carrol Canyon area is your best bet during that scenario since the area is southerly facing. If the overnight temps are not getting below freezing at night then the trails dry out much quicker.

If it's bad go ride Black Canyon Trail.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    If it were me I'd go to Phoenix and avoid all the potential issues and you would have primo conditions--Sedona could easily be OK or a total bust with wet and cold which you have before you travel

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    This^. Iím always interested to read folks bending over backward to ride in Sedona, when thereís such incredible riding AND weather 90 minutes south.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

EDR
    There is tons of sweet desert riding in the Phoenix area and winter time is the primo time to hit it. Sedona is cool but like others have said it's going to be hit and miss that time of year.

It drops below freezing at night a couple of times a year in Phoenix on average. But even if that happens riding conditions are awesome, just layer a bit and cover the legs in the mornings. trails are awesome even if it does rain, for the most part.

The .05 percent
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    This^. Iím always interested to read folks bending over backward to ride in Sedona, when thereís such incredible riding AND weather 90 minutes south.
    Cause it's that good and you dont hav2 go to Phoenix.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Meh.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Word! Thanks for the help on picking the spot everyone. Phoenix trails look rad. Can't wait to go play in the desert. You people rock, thanks again
    A medical student who wandered into Iowa

Over the Hill
    A group of friends and I have been riding Sedona the week between X-Mas and New Years for the past 15 years. We have only lost a few days of riding during those weeks a couple of times. Caution: When slickrock is wet and it is cold out it can be like black ice and it is not even walkable. I have been surprised how fast Sedona trails can dry out after a rain. My favorite is the ride during first snow before it gets slushy. Some days stay away for slickrock get up early ride while the trails are still frozen.

Worse part about that week is thru the years it seems more people are spending the holidays in Sedona...traffic and going out to eat can be busy.