Chino Valley Grinder 2016- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Chino Valley Grinder 2016

I know it's a few months out but wanted to get the thread rolling and give a heads up to anyone on the fence as registration prices increase February 28th...who's IN? What are you riding? Hows training going? etc etc.

I'm waffling between half the suffering and all the suffering as far as distance goes...I really want to do the whole thing but am afraid I won't be able to get many long rides on gravel in this spring in Flag. The forest roads could easily be a soggy mess right up to april. Will be riding my Surly SSteamroller unless a really good deal on a geared cx bike pops up on craigslist soon. Have gotten two solid 100+ mile weeks in last week and the week before with the mild weather...longest ride ever was in the 65 mile range a few years ago but had a solid 57 miler last week that felt good.

Go get some gravel

"These things are very fancy commuter bikes or really bad dirt bikes, but they are not mountain bikes." - J. Mac

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmctav23 View Post
    I know it's a few months out but wanted to get the thread rolling and give a heads up to anyone on the fence as registration prices increase February 28th...who's IN? What are you riding? Hows training going? etc etc.

I'm waffling between half the suffering and all the suffering as far as distance goes...I really want to do the whole thing but am afraid I won't be able to get many long rides on gravel in this spring in Flag. The forest roads could easily be a soggy mess right up to april. Will be riding my Surly SSteamroller unless a really good deal on a geared cx bike pops up on craigslist soon. Have gotten two solid 100+ mile weeks in last week and the week before with the mild weather...longest ride ever was in the 65 mile range a few years ago but had a solid 57 miler last week that felt good.

Go get some gravel
    Do the whole thing. I did it two years ago, its a long hard day but a real feeling you accomplished something. The last 15 miles or so coming in, we had a heavy head wind, which is kinda normal up there.

There was a guy up at the ski resort turnaround, cooking bacon for the racers???
    Drinkin the S-Works Kool-aid

Low speed, High Drag
    I'll probably do the 42 again, this year. Had fun last year, and I think I convinced a few other people to try it, as well.
    I need a cool saying to put here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    warm enough to train even in Flag...first ride around Mormon Lake

mtbr member
    Im on the fence. Did the whole thing on my SS crosscheck 2 years ago. Thinking doing the same this year. I just keep remembering the last 10-15 miles hurting so bad. I really hated my bike at the time. That and coasting downhill into a head wind on a SS for 20+miles.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by fixgeardan View Post
    Im on the fence. Did the whole thing on my SS crosscheck 2 years ago. Thinking doing the same this year. I just keep remembering the last 10-15 miles hurting so bad. I really hated my bike at the time. That and coasting downhill into a head wind on a SS for 20+miles.
    yeah at the end of yesterdays' 73 mile ride I couldn't really imagine tacking another 33 miles on but I think riding in a group will help as I've done all my road riding solo so far. what gearing did you run for it and did it match up well? I'm at 39-18 at the moment and I could go harder for the road but on gravel with hills it seems good and I can spin up into the low 20 mph range if I really want to.

mtbr member
    I think it was 39x17 with a 1.8 tire. Now im running 42x19 its about the same as your 39x18. I was in much better shape 2 years ago and 2 years younger. Ill tell you what, that bacon and pepsi at the turnaround was so good!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Feeling purty good about signing up for the full course after this past weekend at the tommyknocker 10hr mtb race in NM

Chino Valley Grinder 2016-screen-shot-2016-03-01-4.42.26-pm.png

Chino Valley Grinder 2016-screen-shot-2016-03-01-6.36.11-pm.jpg

Black and Sticky
    Just signed up for the 42 on Monday. Maybe the full meal deal next year. Thanks John McT for posting about this over in the cyclocross forum. Otherwise I would have missed this, or at least missed out on the cheaper entry fee.

Bob
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    This will probably be one of my longest training rides for the long course at Chino Valley, a nice boost of confidence especially with the long grinding uphill after the halfway point at Grand Falls. Some of the worst washboard miles I've ever experienced but the legs still felt surprisingly frisky on the last few rolling hills. Fueled off two gels with caffeine, two fig bars, one clif bar, one dos equis lager, and a large pepsi.

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-03-17 at 11.07.18 PM.png
Views: 168
Size:  38.6 KB

Riding 39-18 SS meant the gradual climb on the way back really packed a wallop.

Chino Valley Grinder 2016-screen-shot-2016-03-17-11.14.04-pm.png

Chino Valley Grinder 2016-screen-shot-2016-03-17-11.15.33-pm.jpg

Chino Valley Grinder 2016-screen-shot-2016-03-18-10.58.28-am.png

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    just cooked up another long training ride route...feeling the need for at least one more big outing before the race. Will be done on a weekday with an early start to bomb down the switchbacks. Easy pitstops in Sedona and Mormon lake.

Chino Valley Grinder 2016-screen-shot-2016-03-23-1.10.32-pm.png

any advice on tires or good spots to vape welcome.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    bump...anybody doing this thing? New bike and I are ready...

Chino Valley Grinder 2016-screen-shot-2016-04-19-7.38.49-pm.jpg