checked out the fire damage from 89N......- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

checked out the fire damage from 89N......

checked out the schultz burn driving N. the other day. here's my take. Little Bear: ~ 75%+ burned. I only say less then 100% as i could only see the slope from the junction of sunset or so, and it's pretty bad........I would say if it ever comes back it's going to be years - maybe never with erosion. think heart trail.........waterline road - GONE. just a white, chalky line. bare rock come next spring. looks like good skiing - no trees. ditto most of schultz peak & the back of doyle, as well as sugarloaf. the IB looks great! it was saved by snow & avalanch chutes, as well as the aspen groves which are mostly intact, they burn suckily....... the road to lockett - BAD. see waterline description. spotting occured all the way out past sunset crater & crossed the road. to the N. the old burn {hostetter?} and the cinders stopped it, really. the entire deer trail area looks bad.........I expect flooding if it ever dumps, tlaqupaque style like last year. I would not be suprised to see closures in some areas of up to a year..... - my dos centavos - Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    steve garro el jefe/el solo. coconino cycles www.coconinocycles.com www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    wow. thanks for the update. Grim, but it will return. To what it was? No, but give it 5-10 years. if the FS is as aggressive as they were in recovering Los Alamos, NM, then we can look forward to some wonderful Aspen groves in 20 years.

Brian
    b

pedaller
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brianc
    wow. thanks for the update. Grim, but it will return. To what it was? No, but give it 5-10 years. if the FS is as aggressive as they were in recovering Los Alamos, NM, then we can look forward to some wonderful Aspen groves in 20 years.

Brian
    it's gonna look like this: five years - Hochderffer hills/white horse hills. ten years - Kendrick. the back of doyle/schultz looks like bull basin, grim. thirty+ years = sandy seep/heart trail/west elden. Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    steve garro el jefe/el solo. coconino cycles www.coconinocycles.com www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    seeing the pictures that Noel just posted...ouch. that was a hot fire. white "dirt" is not good. In L.A. NM, they did a lot of areal seeding, which helped. but erosion is going to frightening.
    b

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Ugh, part of me wants to look at those photos but most of me doesn't. Ridiing up Waterline during the fall colors was most excellent. It really hurts to see all the scenery go away.

Losing Ground
    It's going to be a long winter.

parenting for gnarness

ouch

this time last year
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

mtbr member
    This thread is depressing

mtbr member
    A few years back after the huge Heber fire, my company organized a wildflower seeding day that was a lot of fun/work. We even cleared off the foundations of burnt buildings so they could quickly rebuild the trailer park area. Hopefully, the organizers of the recovery effort reach out in the same way for corporate assistance.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I really hope that who ever it was that walked away from their fire gets to see these images and knows what they have done.

Pwning Trails
    Noelg:

Those pics are depressing ... my buddy Nate and I rode the first half of the crazy 88 the day before, was so beautiful , pics from waterline road ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails checked out the fire damage from 89N......-30443_129024400463928_100000691057432_193485_5791854_n.jpg  

checked out the fire damage from 89N......-img00012-20100619-1011.jpg  

checked out the fire damage from 89N......-img00010-20100619-1011.jpg  

is tall.
    Dang Phlite, why did you have to bring up the past, going to make my shed a tear. One cool thing is that the Aspen, grass, and ferns will grow back fast and thick, we'll be smiling up there again real soon!

mtbr member
    I'd like to see a set date for fire closures within a 20mi. radius of Flag, say every May 1st to Sept. 1st or so. My house backs up to the woods........fire is our Tornado. - Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona
    I really hope that who ever it was that walked away from their fire gets to see these images and knows what they have done.

That is a kind way to put it...I have some other things in mind.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Rode up Sunset yesterday. No damage to that trail from Schultz to Brookbank. Hiked the 100 yards up to ridge looking north from top of Sunset (before drop to Brookbank). Looks like that's where firefighters made their stand. Ridge is covered with retardant and hillside below is burned. I'm sure Little Bear is a mess...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

loco!

Quote Originally Posted by coconinocycles
    I'd like to see a set date for fire closures within a 20mi. radius of Flag, say every May 1st to Sept. 1st or so. My house backs up to the woods........fire is our Tornado. - Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.

So you'd like to close the coolest weather trails in Arizona for the summer? Greedy!
    I've heard most of the trails survived intact. There will always be fires as fire supression thruout the US has caused the problem. The Catalinas, Grahams and Chiracahuas have all burned, do you wish to close them, too?
    You would put Coconino Cycles and every bike shop in town out of business.
    I could understand a camping ban or closure till the monsoon, but I camp often so would not be in favor of that.
    Last edited by abegold; 07-16-2010 at 12:41 PM.
    agmtb

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by abegold
    So you'd like to close the coolest weather trails in Arizona for the summer? Greedy!
    I've heard most of the trails survived intact. There will always be fires as fire supression thruout the US has caused the problem. The Catalinas, Grahams and Chiracahuas have all burned, do you wish to close them, too?
    I could understand a camping ban or closure till the monsoon, but I camp often so would not be in favor of that.

I don't think that is what Steve was saying.....Just ban fires not close the trails. Some years they have closed the forest all together!

shred my gnar
    there was no mention of closing trails or anything like it. try some reading comprehension, bruh before you start calling people greedy. lol.

i still think, as i mentioned during the fire, that little bear will be alright in the long run. it may be a couple years but it will work out. it will take some serious effort to hold the erosion back but hopefully there will be continued contour falling as that is really the only legitimate way to slow the erosion on slopes that steep. they can aerial seed those slopes till the cows come home but 90% will end up in the flats at the bottom if there are no erosion controls in place (contour falling).

a fair amount of the drainages that little bear passes through burned much cooler than the moonscape in those waterline pics. some got nuked as well so it will be up to usfs, crec & volunteers to see how that trail plays out.

mtbr member
    I take it you did not actually read my post, so i'll let it slide. I'm all for keeping the trails open {it's just about the only reason to live here} and it either goes two ways around here: they have fire bans, OR, just close the whole damn thing. obviously, a campfire ban is more fun for everyone then a forest-wide recreation ban. - Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have NO problem with fire bans. I did think your post was calling for closure, so I am sorry.
    Desert campers in the high mountains tend to freeze at about 68 degrees, when holding a cold one.
    Camped at Tellurides campground many times where there are 1000 people in a small area where campfires were banned long ago. At 8000' and a narrow sun starved canyon it gets chilly every night.
    Just wear wool and sell it, too.
    agmtb

mtbr member
    I have NO problem with fire bans. I did think your post was calling for closure, so I am sorry.
    Desert campers in the high mountains tend to freeze at about 68 degrees, when holding a cold one.
    no worries! us mtn dwellers get hot at 90*F, but desert dwellers would be bummed if we could start biblical floods which just happened to get a little out of control at times resulting in housing & recreational loss Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.

parenting for gnarness
    Desert campers in the high mountains tend to freeze at about 68 degrees, when holding a cold one..
    agreed, but that is an excuse to bust out all the fleece we get to wear about 6x a year. i have no problems with fire bans when appropriate, nor should anyone else who claims to enjoy the outdoors.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

mtbr member
    Was that guy peeing on his bike?
    codafurnituredesign.com

mtbr member
    you dont pee on your bike?

Members who have read this thread: 0