Check out my Mad Skills- Mtbr.com
    Got a suspension fork

Check out my Mad Skills

Yesterday late afternoon climbing up VOAZ in Dreamy Draw I somehow managed to endo my 29'er up a steep hill! I didn't even think that was possible.

It was a steep hill and I was sitting very forward on the tip of the saddle, pedaling hard to clear an upcoming really steep section with steps, I hit a blunt faced babyhead without giving it a second thought, and before I knew it I was flying over the bars.

wow.

Ok, share your best moments.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

Old and Slow
    I saw a guy do the exact same thing on the Raptor trail a couple of months ago! An uphill OTB....crazy! Hope you are ok.
    Getting out there one day at a time.

_____
    Jul 2007
    I endoed climbing VOAZ last week and nearly did it again yesterday, same spot. That climb is deceiving.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I've done the same thing in the same spot. Don't feel bad. It's just bad weight transfer; typically a self-correcting problem. Least you didn't fall off the side of the mountain.

How do I do that?
    I know I suck but I could swear VOAZ is not as smooth as it used to be I filmed a simple and smooth descend back in December and for some reason, I can't even ride down it without getting hung up on something now

That fall I had last month, my worst, must have really messed up my head.....I think I'm lamer then ever

mtbr member
    I've done this exact same thing twice, recently. First time was on the first few steps back uphill from the BV parking lot on National. Second one was Saturday at the PMP in a spot I've done hundreds of times. I was trying to figure out if I was hitting the brake or what. It would suck if it happened on VOAZ though, depending on the spot.

A little off topic, I went right by a 3' rattler on VOAZ on Saturday morning. They're out!!!!
    Making Milk by Day, Beer by Night

EDR
    I endo'd coming out of the dirt singletrack heading into the paved 46th st parking lot (SoMo). I have no idea what exactly I did but when I hopped the 4'' curb separating the lot from the desert I stood my rear end straight up in the air, and my face straight at the ground. Being clipped in, my feet stayed on the pedals and I performed some weird super slo-motion, time warp maneuver. Felt like I was upside down for 5 seconds. The entire rear end of the bike went up and over with me, and eventually landed on top of me. My friend was laughing uncontrollably and said that was the slowest/biggest crash he ever saw.

This all happened at about the average walking speed of a 5 year old girl

mtbr member
    Wasnt an OTB, but my front wheel washed out in some soft dirt on the side or the trail going up Javelina about a month ago. I was standing and cranking up the last climb to the top and went down extremely hard and one mid size rock nailed me in the side and broke two ribs. Hurt my shoulder and cut my knee and forearm.

Of course caught a cold same week and had great coughing spells to help the ribs feel great. Work and life sucked for the first couple of weeks. Since been back up past the spot and keep wondering how I did it.

But falling going uphill sucks!

mtbr member
    A lot of times I finish the dirt portion of my ride by comming into squaw peak park on the north end where the road ends (trail 304 i think). there is one spot where I have to get far enough off the back of my saddle that my headphones get caught under the front of my saddle and then my headphones get RIPPED out of my ears. after three consecutive times and roasting a set or two I finally learned to tuck the cord a bit further into my jersey pocket before doing that downhill section.

The other one that sucks is when you get a rock under your back tire that is just the right size while youre up and trying to pedal and it kills half your momentum and practically throws you over the bars
    Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by randyharris
    Yesterday late afternoon climbing up VOAZ in Dreamy Draw I somehow managed to endo my 29'er up a steep hill! I didn't even think that was possible.

It was a steep hill and I was sitting very forward on the tip of the saddle, pedaling hard to clear an upcoming really steep section with steps, I hit a blunt faced babyhead without giving it a second thought, and before I knew it I was flying over the bars.

wow.

Ok, share your best moments.
    P and D maybe 8 or 9 years ago. Climbing up a relatively steep hill that had two deep MX ruts in it. Towards the top, my rear tire falls in one of the ruts, and I fall over backwards, off the trail. Unfortunately, I sat right in the middle of a cholla. Thankfully, the girlfriend was with me, so she was able to help me get it out. She originally started to take the thorns out one at a time. I told her to just yank my shorts off. Now I know what velcro feels like.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BritMtnBiker
    Wasnt an OTB, but my front wheel washed out in some soft dirt on the side or the trail going up Javelina about a month ago. I was standing and cranking up the last climb to the top and went down extremely hard and one mid size rock nailed me in the side and broke two ribs. Hurt my shoulder and cut my knee and forearm.

Of course caught a cold same week and had great coughing spells to help the ribs feel great. Work and life sucked for the first couple of weeks. Since been back up past the spot and keep wondering how I did it.

But falling going uphill sucks!
    Broken Ribs Suuuuuck - I separated some ribs on a houseboat trip years ago doing some dumb a$$ tubing. The worst pain was when I watched Shallow Hal for the first time that night - nearly killed me from laughter. Went to the hospital a day later and they sent me on my way with pain killers. I still get weird pains in my back from this area, but I know what you're going through. Heal up in time for next race season.
    Making Milk by Day, Beer by Night

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Pynis McDermott
    I've done this exact same thing twice, recently. First time was on the first few steps back uphill from the BV parking lot on National. Second one was Saturday at the PMP in a spot I've done hundreds of times. I was trying to figure out if I was hitting the brake or what. It would suck if it happened on VOAZ though, depending on the spot.

A little off topic, I went right by a 3' rattler on VOAZ on Saturday morning. They're out!!!!
    Combining topics for a moment... what are the chances of endoing into a rattler? Falling is always a possibility and seeing a snake this time of year has good odds... but those two events occurring at the exact same time have gotta be pretty rare, right?

Pivotal figure
    Some of my worst crashes have been on an uphill, that's why I wear knee pads all the time now. Noting quite compares to a handlebar to the chest or breaking a shifter with your knee, all while huffing up a steep climb.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Went OTB going down national one time because I thought it was a good idea to grab the front brake coming off a ledge...

Also, hit a teensy little jump at the bottom of Elden last summer, landed crooked, washed out my front wheel, and just about crashed into a couple kids coming towards me. The fact that I had hit that thing like 5 times before that made it worse. Also, I still can't feel like half the skin on my right quad because of it...

Endoing up a hill though, I dunno... that takes skill.
    Disclaimer: Bo does not actually know anything at all.

Members who have read this thread: 0