Thread: cheap wheels...

shred my gnar

cheap wheels...

if you were gonna buy a new set of wheels for $500 or less, what would you consider????

specifically, wheels that do everything. shuttle a few times a summer and basically ride everything in flag... including the ups. gotta be burly enough to deal with 220# (with gear) dropping & jumping but still pedal all the ups in flag.

i was gonna grab the easton havoc am that have been on jenson for seemingly ever for $350-399 but have finally disappeared by the time i got around to buying em. damn!

thoughts????

on yeah... 20mm ta up front required!

mtbr member
    I'm kind of in the same boat. I've been considering Transition Revolution 32's since they seam to get good reviews and the price is hard to beat. Plus you can pick rim and hub colors.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    At the OPs weight and price point, pretty hard to beat the Transition 32 wheelset. Look nice, too.

sixsixtysix
    Transition 32's and Azonic Outlaws are the same wheels. (Slightly different variations of Alex Rims) Hubs are kinda so so, not the best engagement and both are heavy.

You can get a pair of Hope Pro 2 hubs laced to Mavic 823's with Comp spokes from Chain Reaction for $392 shipped. Not bad for a full UST wheelset.

shred my gnar
    i have definitely been considering the outlaws but the weight is a bit much... havent heard much good on the hubs myself.

i am gonna check out those chain reaction hope/mavic. not a huge fan of mavic but im not gonna be picky on these... thanks for the suggestion.

any other links anyone has to what they think may be a good deal online would be appreciated.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    I've been looking at Bicycle Wheel Warehouse and the 819's laced to xt hubs for about $350. I too was looking at the Havoc AM but didn't realize how inexpensive BWW is.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

sixsixtysix
    Quote Originally Posted by happy_ending
    i have definitely been considering the outlaws but the weight is a bit much... havent heard much good on the hubs myself.

i am gonna check out those chain reaction hope/mavic. not a huge fan of mavic but im not gonna be picky on these... thanks for the suggestion.

any other links anyone has to what they think may be a good deal online would be appreciated.
    Mavic 823's are basically the best FR rims money can buy. Its just their hubs that suck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sixsixtysix
    Transition 32's and Azonic Outlaws are the same wheels. (Slightly different variations of Alex Rims) Hubs are kinda so so, not the best engagement and both are heavy.

You can get a pair of Hope Pro 2 hubs laced to Mavic 823's with Comp spokes from Chain Reaction for $392 shipped. Not bad for a full UST wheelset.
    That's the setup I've also been looking at. I've heard you can get nailed for the exchange rate and customs fees. Is that true?

pedaller
    Their Hope Pro 2 with Stans ZTR Flows for $322 look pretty good as well.
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Quote Originally Posted by dunerinaz
    That's the setup I've also been looking at. I've heard you can get nailed for the exchange rate and customs fees. Is that true?
    Exchange rate is pretty decent right now just switch the setting on their site to US dollars. I have ordered from CRC twice and have not been hit with customs fees...now my peruvian coco beans are a different story!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sixsixtysix
    Mavic 823's are basically the best FR rims money can buy. Its just their hubs that suck.
    Word. Bearings crap out QUICK.

Dig Mavic rims though. Have them built by a competent builder, and maintain them, they'll last a long time.

EDR
    That deal at Chain Reaction on the Hope/823's is a pretty good deal. The rims are $90-$100 a pop, a rear Hope hub is around $250, maybe more. Haven't even added in the front hub, spokes, labor. I'd jump on that. Solid, solid setup and it's in your price range. If the 823's are too heavy look at the 819's. These are ust though, not sure if it that matters to you.

sixsixtysix
    For the record, that $392 is in USD and any order over $200 is shipped free.

I think Hope hubs are just dirt cheap in the UK since they are a UK product. The price CRC sells them for is less than cost here in the US.

Also, the weight of those wheels would come out to about 2150 grams fully built, which is about 400 grams less than the Transition's or Azonics. Factor in the lack of tubes since these would be UST and you are almost a full 2lbs lighter.

banned
    I have the Transistions and have beaten the sh!t out of them. Only had to have yetigurly true them up once. Not a bad wheelset for the ducketts, but I would get the hopes at that price and go tubeless

Team Tortuga
    +1 for Azonic Outlaws, I am a 265# rider and use them for everything. They have been great. I believe you can score a set for $300-$400.

My other ride is your mom
    dang....I just built the same wheelset up on ChainReaction vs. Speedgrope........CR was WAYYYYYY cheeper.

mtbr member
    And of course CR is out of almost all the hope hubs again which means they probably won't have any for the next two months

sixsixtysix
    Don't get me wrong, I have owned 3 sets of Transition Revo 32's and currently have a pair of Outlaws on my DH rig, but for the money, there is no comparison between rebranded catalog wheels and custom built Hope/Hadley/Kings on Mavics

shred my gnar
    666->you the man! that is exactly why i posted. i would have had no idea about that deal. im gonna decide b/t the 823 & 819 w some silver hopes/spokes.

beer(s) on me at some point this summer if you are in flag...

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Quote Originally Posted by happy_ending
    666->you the man! that is exactly why i posted. i would have had no idea about that deal. im gonna decide b/t the 823 & 819 w some silver hopes/spokes.

beer(s) on me at some point this summer if you are in flag...

Nice! Can I have one beer if I drive up with Sixty . Memorial day weekend is not coming fast enough! BTW it will take about 14 or so days for your order which is not bad considering coming from the UK.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I just rebuild my outlaw with a new rear hub. For some reason the freehub would loosen a bit, but that combined with the fact that I rode that wheelset up absolutely crazy acents eventually killed the freehub. It kind of sucks because you can't easily replace it, but for what outlaws usually cost, I can't complain too much. I would have still bought them in the first place for sure. Now I have about $280 into the entire wheelset with the new hub, so for a 110mm/150mm DH wheelset, that is outstanding value IMO. Don't get outlaws if you want something light or blingly though.

High end vs low end hubs make no difference to me. What does make a difference is a solid build in terms of spoke tension and so on.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

pedaller
    Just ordered Hope Pro IIs (red) with 719s for $347.
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

banned
    Sep 2007
    It will be interesting to see how well the Hope pro II hub pawls and hub stand up to your weight on the climbs. There's a few of us here, that have had them disintegrate in in 4 months time, or gone through 3 hubs in a year, along with radial fractures on the rear hub. YMMV, but the Hope hub is not as headache free as King, Hadley, or DT Swiss 440 Freeride hubs, if you are a 220# clyde that climbs like a goat.

Do yourself a favor and run a 1 piece spidered cassette like a SRAM 990 cassette on your aluminum freehub carriers, so you don't get the cassette embedded into the carrier with notches so you can't get the cassette off.

Members who have read this thread: 0