Chain-ring ?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Chain-ring ?

Shovel Ready

Cool-blue Rhythm Chain-ring ?

What the difference between a 36 tooth compact and standard chain-ring.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome. :)

mtbr member
    I believe the compact is made for the shorter length cranks mate, the bolt ring diameter is smaller than a normal chainring to match the smaller diam ring. and er, don't forget the helmet
    Last edited by Mrweelz; 03-23-2007 at 04:51 AM.
    [I][SIZE=1]Speeding beneath a field of blue like a silver speedbird one, all your life's below you, pouring fast to a hazy di

Shovel Ready
    Thanks, I did not think you could have a smaller diameter ring with the same amount of teeth. Trying to set up a 36th tooth middle ring if I can get clearance.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome. :)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trb2929
    What the difference between a 36 tooth compact and standard chain-ring.
    The difference is the placement of the bolt holes.

on a Compact ring (assuming 5-arm) the center of the holes fall onto a circle that is 94mm wide, on a standard ring the circle is 110mm. A standard ring can only be made as small as 33 teeth, a compact ring can be down to 30 teeth.

Over the Hill
    I have a set of Middleburn compact cranks, 180 mm, set up with a 42,30,20 rings.

Dean

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon
    The difference is the placement of the bolt holes.

on a Compact ring (assuming 5-arm) the center of the holes fall onto a circle that is 94mm wide, on a standard ring the circle is 110mm. A standard ring can only be made as small as 33 teeth, a compact ring can be down to 30 teeth.
    S'what i said intit ? must have lost somethin in translation now i read it back, foreigners heh
    [I][SIZE=1]Speeding beneath a field of blue like a silver speedbird one, all your life's below you, pouring fast to a hazy di

Shovel Ready
    Translation was fine. Thanks for all the responses. Friend (AKA Size) has a 36 tooth I'm going to try. Hopefully it will clear the chain-stays. If not I'll just run the 32, heck its a geared ride anyway.

Shovel Ready
    Installed the 36 tooth middle ring on the SIR 9. There is all sorts of room for even a larger ring. Need to get some time on it but I may see if I can get a DH 38 on it if the mounting is the same. Anyone know of a XC 38 tooth ring?

For the Niner (Tamale Red) owners, found that if you get some of the paint off the little brush and lightly use a paint stroke. I matches much better than dabbing it on the billion paint chips I have already. Absolutely love this frame!! But the paint is a disappointment. It is a mountain bike so I'm not going to make an issue out of it. But it would be nice to see a more durable painting method used on these frames.

Shovel Ready
    2x9 setup

Front 36 & 22
    Rear 32 - 11

Members who have read this thread: 0