banned
    Sep 2007

Chain lube for endurance riders?

Kind of curious, what do you folks use for chain lube that will go 50, 70, 100 miles when you are putting it all on the line? Do you use a wet lube, a dry lube, a wax base lube?

How long does a chain last you when you stay on top of maintenance? I pretty much toast a drive train every 5 to 600 miles.

Cleaning, lubing and wiping off tips?

I've been using Pedro's Dry Ice wax, so far... I don't think it does the job on really long rides.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    From my experience you need a thick oil to get any kind of duration out of a lube.
    Phil Woods Tenacious, Chain L, etc.
    I've been using Chainsaw Bar & Chain oil with good results.
    Maybe something with MoS2 in it would last longer too. I've been thinking of finding some MOS2 powder and adding it to the bar & chain oil I've been using.
    Obviously none of them are as clean as a dry lube but they last longer.

The other option might be something like the Scottoiler: http://www.scottoiler.com/cycle/ but then you are stuck buying their lube, not sure how easy it is to get in North America and I don't think it's cheap.

A plethora of pinatas
    We have tried several different lubes over the years and Squirt Lube is the best that we have used. The key is that you need to clean you chain real well before the 1st application. After that, you just wipe the chain down and reapply. We get 4-5 rides before we need to re-apply the lube. Awesome stuff and our chains stay quiet and clean.

http://www.squirtlube.com/
    Marty

parenting for gnarness
    i prefer dry lube, but use whatever is around. i clean my chain about every 5 hrs. i keep a small tube in my pack and wipe\apply during a ride if needed. old socks make good sacks for tools and double and trail rags.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

mtbr member
    I use OP lube on my chain (whatever other people let me use at the beginning of the ride)

I do not use any kind of wax based lube - it wears off super fast because it is designed to ball up around dirt particles and fall off... thats why your chain stays pretty. Unlike Marty - the absolute worst lube for long rides I have ever used is Squirt - it stops working halfway through even short rides and causes event my SS drivetrain to sound noisy and dry! (I need to find that stuff for you one of these days marty... I know I have a box somewhere in my house!)

Favorite OP lube for endurance events... anykind that makes your drivetrain look nasty after 10-12 hours on the bike (think finish line wet lube)... seems to work the best but requires more cleaning afterwards, less application and issues during the race/ride

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I don't do any super long rides, but here are my thoughts. I usually ride 12-25 miles. I use white lightning clean ride, and put it on after about every other, to every third ride, or put it on the night before when packing up. Usually about once a week. My bike is a 2004 GF Marlin, I bought it at the end of last summer, and I think it has the original drive train. I checked for chain stretch when I got the bike, there was no measurable stretch then, and there is none now. I also take the chain off every couple months ans complete clean it, soaking it in solvent overnight and getting everything out of it.

NardoSS
    Wipe chain, use wet lube, let sit overnight, wipe. Yes, letting it sit and penetrate all night long matters. (that's what she said)

Rhino
    Astroglide seems to work the best on my linkage, never seem to have a problem with friction or dirt.

Any good wet lube is a good idea for really long rides - especially if they include stream crossings. I use dry lube for day to day, but go to Pedro's Synlube (or similar) for the really big rides.

Chad was making fun of the red dust coating my chain on the Casner ride, but it was still well lubed at the end. In contrast, I ran a dry lube on the Big Friggin Loop and had to listen to my chain squeaking the last part of the day - very annoying.

Powered by ice cream.
    Dumonde Tech. I have given up on wax lubes, but have not tried Squirt.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

Rhino
    *ATB for this kid.

vmb
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

the light stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by urbanseeds
    *ATB for this kid.
    +1

I prefer the lighter formulation. The heavier formulation (with the red dot on cap) attacts too much dirt. I also suggest treating the chain a day before the ride to let the carrier evaporate.

I've also had good luck with Maxima Chain Wax that you can get at moto shops. It is a wax base and requires a nice clean chain, but one application will last for a full 24 hour race (it's nice to treat the chain once, then not worry about it for the rest of the race).

It works well too in both wet/dry conditions...

Tucson, AZ
    We used to use lard down in Mexico, just head into a restaurant and bam, grease the chain up. Crazy, eh?

Nowadays, I use Demond Tech.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vmb
    +1

I prefer the lighter formulation. The heavier formulation (with the red dot on cap) attacts too much dirt. I also suggest treating the chain a day before the ride to let the carrier evaporate.

I've also had good luck with Maxima Chain Wax that you can get at moto shops. It is a wax base and requires a nice clean chain, but one application will last for a full 24 hour race (it's nice to treat the chain once, then not worry about it for the rest of the race).

It works well too in both wet/dry conditions...
    +2 for ATB
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Trail Monger
    ATB baby! Anything else gets coated up and gets greasy. Not sure if light or heavy tho...

My other ride is your mom
    Chad beat me to the lard reference.....the podcasts from the last Great Divide race indicated several riders were utilizing grease trap dumps from food joints as chain lube when they ran out. Great innovation.....perhaps not the best alternative when in bear territory though.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by azepicriderandrunner
    We used to use lard down in Mexico, just head into a restaurant and bam, grease the chain up. Crazy, eh?

Nowadays, I use Demond Tech.
    long ago i worked in a comedy club, and pretty much everything that needed it was lubed with oil from the popcorn machine.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

My other ride is your mom
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    long ago i worked in a comedy club, and pretty much everything that needed it was lubed with oil from the popcorn machine.
    I was wondering why when you farted on trail, you smelled like popcorn.....

banned
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    I was wondering why when you farted on trail, you smelled like popcorn.....
    You didn't reach in there for a handful of buttered, did ya?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    +3 for ATB

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I use http://www.crc-canada.ca/Support/pro....aspx?PN=73050 , it contains moly. It sprays on extremely thin (I believe it use a hexane carrier). After a few minutes it sets up into thick lube. It is quite sticky though, but I can barely hear my chain once lubed.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    is that as in bdenum or ringwald??

mtbr member
    Dumonde tech(green)

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I just put 100 dusty miles on my chain with one application of Chain-L. It works great and my drivetrain was surprisingly clean. I did make sure to wipe the excess off after the initial application.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I've been using ATB for years.

Have tried others in a pinch and nothing seemed to have worked as well, especially on all day rides.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by itikia
    I use http://www.crc-canada.ca/Support/pro....aspx?PN=73050 , it contains moly. It sprays on extremely thin (I believe it use a hexane carrier). After a few minutes it sets up into thick lube. It is quite sticky though, but I can barely hear my chain once lubed.
    Too bad it only seems to come in an aerosol. I've always found aerosol cans to be the most wasteful and messy way to apply chain lube.
    Where do you buy it?

gears weigh too much
    Starting with a perfectly clean chain, put a few good coats of wax lube down as your base. Then after that has dried go back with ATB. From then on just wipe clean and reapply the ATB.

Members who have read this thread: 0