Cave Creek Bike Fest Loop Video- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Cave Creek Bike Fest Loop Video

Perfect day on the bike today!

mtbr member
    That's some fine horse shyte dodging. I do that ride at least once a year when visiting the in-laws. I find Slate trail very refreshing after the sanitation that Overton has endured over the years but that climb back up to Surrey Rd isn't getting any easier.

Thanks for the stoke

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thanks! Today was more dodging horse footprints (it rained last night) than crap. Seriously ridiculous. Trail would be 5 feet wide. 2 feet mud, 3 feet bone dry. EVERY SINGLE HOOFPRINT WAS IN THE WET.

My wife is an equine vet, and we both ride, but I am starting to come around to why mountain bikers get so pizzed at them.

But the ride was still awesome, and much needed.

I didn't do the Surrey climb, since the new CCBF loop goes out some new trails to New River Rd... I did not miss the Surrey climb though. lol Nothing like having one of the hardest climbs 20 miles into a ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pointerDixie214 View Post
    Thanks! Today was more dodging horse footprints (it rained last night) than crap. Seriously ridiculous. Trail would be 5 feet wide. 2 feet mud, 3 feet bone dry. EVERY SINGLE HOOFPRINT WAS IN THE WET.

My wife is an equine vet, and we both ride, but I am starting to come around to why mountain bikers get so pizzed at them.

But the ride was still awesome, and much needed.

I didn't do the Surrey climb, since the new CCBF loop goes out some new trails to New River Rd... I did not miss the Surrey climb though. lol Nothing like having one of the hardest climbs 20 miles into a ride.
    I'm not an equestrian fan but not a hater either. Just another user group but I do find it annoying how Cave Creek Regional Park has seemingly catered to the concessionaire doing the guided tours. Overton and Go John were primo, narrow singletrack trails 15 years ago and over the years have been gradually reduced, or rather increased, to multi-user roads where hikers, bikers, and horses all have their own lane. Perhaps a necessary "improvement" I guess. That park is pretty crowded on weekends.

mtbr member
    Nice vid! I really need to hit that place too. Body is getting closer to ready!
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Yes, Cave Creek Park is an interesting world... I used to take my fifth grade students out their to do the big loop and met some not so friendly (to kids) park rangers... and I wonder when they are going to pave Overton?? and horses ... don't get me started on riding stables using park trails ....... remember the stable over by the Point ........... and Horse Piss Hill ............. never saw one of those cowboys move a rock or wield a McCleod ... even talked to them about it on many a ride ... I just love seeing a horse train of Ohioans (insert any tourist state) with some fat out of shape tourist with a straw cowboy hat chowdering up the trail totally oblivious to what they are doing. Not against horses... mucho better than quads ... but stables ... Jesus Louise .. get off your horse and walk so you know where you've been.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 90minIPA View Post
    Yes, Cave Creek Park is an interesting world... I used to take my fifth grade students out their to do the big loop and met some not so friendly (to kids) park rangers... and I wonder when they are going to pave Overton?? and horses ... don't get me started on riding stables using park trails ....... remember the stable over by the Point ........... and Horse Piss Hill ............. never saw one of those cowboys move a rock or wield a McCleod ... even talked to them about it on many a ride ... I just love seeing a horse train of Ohioans (insert any tourist state) with some fat out of shape tourist with a straw cowboy hat chowdering up the trail totally oblivious to what they are doing. Not against horses... mucho better than quads ... but stables ... Jesus Louise .. get off your horse and walk so you know where you've been.
    Nice rant.

mtbr member
    I observed one of the park rangers (maybe it was a volunteer) raking horse manure off the trail.

That's a great loop with Spur Cross. The first time I found it rather confusing trying to tie Maricopa into Cave Creek but it's a lot more burned in now. Or perhaps better signed.

Hazardous to your health!
    nice ride and nice trail! watched it on full screen lol
    2011 Specialized Rockhopper: Captain Tires, Disc Brakes, 24 speed

Upgrades:
    Shimano Clipless pedals
    x9 Rear Derailleur

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Yeah, my first few times out there I was LOST and glad I was with groups. I got it down now though.

mtb enthusiast
    Great post and comments. Broke my MTB cherry on Go John as it was the first, serious climb I did on a mountain bike. I thought my lungs were going to explode out of my chest when I reached the top. A great ride some buddies and I do begins at the top of Surrey (formally called Go John Canyon). Ride Surrey down to Slate Trail and pop out at Cave Creek Regional parking area. From there we ascend the (south side) Go John trail and ride down the back side (north side) of GJ to the gate area. The back side, I believe, is part of the race course.

From there, we turn around and climb back up GJ (an awesome, fun climb) and transfer to Overton Trail for a bit more climb to the Overton summit. The best part is the bombing run down Overton aside from the hikers that are usually coming the other way. At the bottom of Overton it's back to Slate and up Surrey. When you close out your ride with a Surrey climb it feels like a great ride. Then it's off to Harold's for a breakfast burrito and a beer.

mtb enthusiast
    My avatar is actually a section of Spur Cross Trail.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    torreyaz- that is a great loop. That's the loop I was introduced to Arizona MTBing on. I was used to 25-30 mile rides in FL with relative ease, so I was cocky about that little 12 miles jaunt (starting and ending at Flat Tire). To say I was owned is an understatement. lol

Need more cowbell
    The "race" is in 1.5 weeks!

Most people just enjoy the ride and support a good cause, otherwise there will be a group at the front hammering.

Everybody should try to make this one.

Cave Creek Bike Festival

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Agreed 100%. I am not "racing", just out to have fun. It's a beautiful ride, a great cause (to increase the amount of land we have to ride on), and there will be a lot of great people participating.

I am riding the 35 mile road ride the following day too...

mtb enthusiast
    torreyaz- that is a great loop. That's the loop I was introduced to Arizona MTBing on. I was used to 25-30 mile rides in FL with relative ease, so I was cocky about that little 12 miles jaunt (starting and ending at Flat Tire). To say I was owned is an understatement. lol
    I remember my first jaunt down Surrey on my 26" v-brake bike thinking WTF all the way down, and wondering how the hell I was going to get back up the thing. The top of Go John is a reward in itself with the spectacular views, especially during a morning sunrise.
    What I want to try next is that loop in reverse, and climb Overton. That's gonna be a nightmare.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I have done the loop to incorporate the Overton climb, and bombing down the Go John switchback side. It's not as bad as you would think. It's long, but only steep in a few places. Some days out there I will do two loops. Go John parking area to the gate at the back of Go John, back up to Overton and down. Then back up Overton from the Nature Center, down Go John to the gate, and back up and over to go down the Go John switchbacks.

That's a good workout and only takes about an hour and 15 minutes. 10 miles and almost 1,800 feet of climbing.

mtb enthusiast
    I have done the loop to incorporate the Overton climb, and bombing down the Go John switchback side. It's not as bad as you would think. It's long, but only steep in a few places. Some days out there I will do two loops. Go John parking area to the gate at the back of Go John, back up to Overton and down. Then back up Overton from the Nature Center, down Go John to the gate, and back up and over to go down the Go John switchbacks.

That's a good workout and only takes about an hour and 15 minutes. 10 miles and almost 1,800 feet of climbing.
    Good lord. Can't even imagine that, biut its encouraging to hear that going up Overton is not too bad. How long did it take you to finish the CCBF MTB race?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by torreyaz View Post
    Good lord. Can't even imagine that, biut its encouraging to hear that going up Overton is not too bad. How long did it take you to finish the CCBF MTB race?
    I haven't done it at "race pace" yet, but usually between 2 hours and 2:30 depending on how many pictures I stop to take... I always put ride enjoyment and photography ahead of fast time. The "race" will be no different.

Going up Overton isn't easy, just not as hard as I thought it would be.

mtb enthusiast
    I haven't done it at "race pace" yet, but usually between 2 hours and 2:30 depending on how many pictures I stop to take... I always put ride enjoyment and photography ahead of fast time. The "race" will be no different.

Going up Overton isn't easy, just not as hard as I thought it would be.
    Good luck with the race and stay safe. Are you going to wear the helmet cam for the race?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Of course. Let's just hope I remember to charge the battery before this one. For the TOTWM I went to click start 10 seconds before the race started and the battery was d-e-a-d.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    If I wanted to check out this course this weekend would it be possible without a gps/personal guide? I've never been on any of the trails up here but am looking for some longer rides to do this weekend. I guess Im asking if the trail portions of this race are on signed trails or on well used trails or is it like some other races I've done up north in the Sonoran Preserve where there are a million trails to choose from weaving around the desert?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Should be pretty easy, and it's on trails that are pretty easy to see. They marked the course with yellow take tied to trees/cacti at crucial intersections.

Here's the basic route though....

Start at Flat Tire Bike Shop and head North across the street. Follow Basin Road and bear left with it.
    Make a right at Spur Cross Rd.
    Take that to the park, and then get on Spur Cross Trail to the left. Keep following this (it's a fun little climb, lol)
    You'll come to the end of this at the Maricopa trail
    Follow the yellow flags/tape and they will lead you to the gate at the back of Go John Trail.
    Follow the right fork up to Overton Trail and hang a right.
    Ride down overton to the road and cross (there is more yellow tape)
    This leads you onto Slate trail... Then cross the wash and hang a right by the horse property...
    Out the gate and follow the flags again, which lead you out New River Rd through some trails and eventually out to some trails that run along Cave Creek Rd. and back to the shop.

Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Here's my track from the last time I did it if you want to check a map...

Cave Creek Bike Loop Mountain Biking 26 Oct | Mountain Biking in Arizona

I think my elevation gained is off by a bit, as it should be closer to 2,000+ feet of climbing...

Need more cowbell
    Flat Tire Bikes does a Sunday morning ride of the race loop from the shop. Give them a call.

Flat Tire Bikes

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    They are even doing two groups now too... Fast group leaves at 6, regular group leaves at 8...