Beetlejuice!

Cave Creek Bike Fest 2011

Didn't see a post in my search....just wondering if anyone else is heading out to the festivities this weekend...looks like we are in for rain both days. I being the idiot I am, I signed up for both the mountain and road rides...help me jeebus!
    "too weird to live, too rare to die" - HST
    "Oh Gravity, thou art a heartless bitch" - Sheldon

Need more cowbell
    It's an awesome event....you will have a blast.

See you out there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Solrider View Post
    Didn't see a post in my search....just wondering if anyone else is heading out to the festivities this weekend...looks like we are in for rain both days. I being the idiot I am, I signed up for both the mountain and road rides...help me jeebus!
    I'll be with you on both days then. Rode the mountain course Tuesday and the Road course today. Either one by itself is tiring. Can't imagine back to back days. I will be worthless Monday morning. lol

Gonna be a great time though!

Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
    You had to say the bad word relating to moisture in the air and ground.
    I am looking foward to it though, I hope to use it to my advantage but won't be too disappointed if it doesn't. Can't do the road race but that would be too much for me right now. Good luck.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

E-bikes are Mountain Mopeds

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Looks like the bad word might be happening on Sunday... I don't mind road riding in the rain. Hell, I don't mind the MTB race in the rain as long as it starts after I pass the Elephant mtn TH sign.

Gonna be nice and chilly at the least.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    does this event happen on saturday and sunday, cuz i might just to go check it out

Need more cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by 918biker View Post
    does this event happen on saturday and sunday, cuz i might just to go check it out
    Here is the Info

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskersOfDeath View Post
    Here is the Info
    Very cool thank you for the info

mtbr member

Form Cycles will have bikes on display including this one

Last edited by TiCutter; 11-11-2011 at 11:04 AM. Reason: pic

Beetlejuice!
    Quote Originally Posted by TacoBeer View Post
    You had to say the bad word relating to moisture in the air and ground.
    I am looking foward to it though, I hope to use it to my advantage but won't be too disappointed if it doesn't. Can't do the road race but that would be too much for me right now. Good luck.
    Oh! So sorry! I've been so distraught over the weather reports it just didn't even cross my mind! I won't be too upset I guess since we really do need the moisture.

Quote Originally Posted by pointerDixie214 View Post
    I'll be with you on both days then. Rode the mountain course Tuesday and the Road course today. Either one by itself is tiring. Can't imagine back to back days. I will be worthless Monday morning. lol

Gonna be a great time though!
    Glad to see I'm not the only foolio who got sucked in to both days. Its truly going to be a sufferfest for me...I've been recovering from a commuting crash for almost a month now with minimal riding...haven't been on the mountain bike in over a month! Oh well...a bad day on the bike is still a good day, or something.

So when you see the poor soul pushing her green Voodoo up the trail on Saturday, or slowing cruising the Xtracycle on Sunday please be kind, and say hellooo!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Oh! So sorry! I've been so distraught over the weather reports it just didn't even cross my mind! I won't be too upset I guess since we really do need the moisture.

Glad to see I'm not the only foolio who got sucked in to both days. Its truly going to be a sufferfest for me...I've been recovering from a commuting crash for almost a month now with minimal riding...haven't been on the mountain bike in over a month! Oh well...a bad day on the bike is still a good day, or something.

So when you see the poor soul pushing her green Voodoo up the trail on Saturday, or slowing cruising the Xtracycle on Sunday please be kind, and say hellooo!
    Cool. I'll be on a tan and white Kona Cinder Cone hardtail on Saturday and a doodoo brown Surly Cross Check on Sunday. I will also be the only roadie riding in my mountain shoes, baggies and a t-shirt. Probably with a camelbak. lol

mtbr member
    Does anyone know if registration is still open and if so, up until what time tomorrow morning?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    You can register up until 8 am tomorrow I believe...

mtbr member
    This is one of the best races around. I had such a great time last year. It reminds me of some of the first Cactus cups. I hope everyone has a great day today.

mtb enthusiast
    Good luck to everyone riding today. I'll be out in support but no participation due to injury. Pray for no rain.

Need more cowbell
    What a great race day! Weather was perfect, course was blazing fast and the volunteers were an army of smiles and support!

Congrats go out to my teammates on Green Choice Solar... 4 of the top 10 including 2nd place overall.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

mtb enthusiast
    Couldn't ride today due to injury so I showed up to take some pics of friends and racers at the beginning and the finish.

Here's a link

http://tinyurl.com/7rvxmtc
    Last edited by torreyaz; 11-12-2011 at 03:10 PM.

My other ride is your mom
    unless you melt in the rain...there is no reason to not ride in it.

Need more cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by torreyaz View Post
    Couldn't ride today due to injury so I showed up to take some pics of friends and racers at the beginning and the finish.

Here's a link

http://tinyurl.com/7rvxmtc
    Got some great pics of us at the starting line. Mind if I grab some?

mtb enthusiast
    Got some great pics of us at the starting line. Mind if I grab some?
    Oh sure. Take whatever you want.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    It was an awesome day. Great, fast track. I beat my normal time by 25 minutes! Huffy toss at Buffalo Chip was fun too...

Now off to bed to get ready for the road ride tomorrow. Gonna be chilly and wet.

Beetlejuice!
    I'm afraid I'm one epic bike fail this weekend! Went to bed Friday night all packed up and ready to go, but feeling a bit down...was hoping it was just a minor sinus thing, since I've been on/off with the allergies a couple weeks now. Woke up at 6 feeling pretty horrible and by the time I was up and dressed I had convinced myself there was no way I'd make it through the ride. Good thing, I've been in bed all day and its only getting worse, and its definitely NOT a sinus infection! I'm pretty sure at this point I won't be making the cold and wet road ride in the AM....super depressed to have missed this event now two years in a row.

Stay warm and have a great ride out there tomorrow everyone. I'll be here drugged up and trying to breathe.......

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Get better man... I am about to head out for the road ride now...

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I rode the Race course on Thursday, wow. What a great course,it had just about everything. This Colorado Boy had a fantastic time visit in AZ. Had some really fun rides and this was one we want to do again. We were had so many rides planed but we never made it out of the valley.

I'm afraid I'm one epic bike fail this weekend! Went to bed Friday night all packed up and ready to go, but feeling a bit down...was hoping it was just a minor sinus thing, since I've been on/off with the allergies a couple weeks now. Woke up at 6 feeling pretty horrible and by the time I was up and dressed I had convinced myself there was no way I'd make it through the ride. Good thing, I've been in bed all day and its only getting worse, and its definitely NOT a sinus infection! I'm pretty sure at this point I won't be making the cold and wet road ride in the AM....super depressed to have missed this event now two years in a row.

Stay warm and have a great ride out there tomorrow everyone. I'll be here drugged up and trying to breathe.......
    bummer, I had this happen to me in the past.

Question to anyone. Is this course longer in time than last year? I felt good and strong and rode all but two little hill climbs (SS 32x19t) that almost everyone else had to climb but my time is only a minute faster than last year. I feel like I should have been 10-15 minutes faster but WTF, only a minute. I know I lost a lot of time on the first half of the course because I couldn't pass the line of 20+ riders in front of me and they were all in granny gear which was tourture for me but I still felt faster than last year.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

Need more cowbell
    Conventional wisdom going into the race was that it added 10 min.

Need more cowbell
    By the way, Tacobeer, that was me yelling at you on the GoJohn climb.

"Hey is that you, tacobeer?....oh god, I just let a single speeder pass me!"

mtbr member
    That was a ton of fun. It's been a long time since I've ridden course marked so well. For the entire time on dirt, I never even once questioned if I was on the right course or not.

mtbr member
    .oh god, I just let a single speeder pass me!"
    Quit being a gearist.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

By the way, Tacobeer, that was me yelling at you on the GoJohn climb.

"Hey is that you, tacobeer?....oh god, I just let a single speeder pass me!"

I heard ya, at that point all I could say was yes. anymore than that I would have passed out. and I dont' have conventional wisdom, I get on bike and ride up!
    It's nice to know the course is longer, that means I am 11 minutes faster than last year if all is correct. seems to be a lot more faster riders this year too.

mtb enthusiast
    Does anyone miss the Surrey climb as compared to the new section?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by torreyaz View Post
    Does anyone miss the Surrey climb as compared to the new section?
    No.

I will say the course overall (due to the rain the previous week and some kind volunteers that cleared some baby heads) was faster than I have ever ridden it.

Road race turned out to be a blast today as well. Took 1st place in the 30 miler! I was pretty stoked (and in disbelief) about that when I finished, but I did check my GPS and averaged 2 mph faster than I normally do on it.

mtb enthusiast
    No.

I will say the course overall (due to the rain the previous week and some kind volunteers that cleared some baby heads) was faster than I have ever ridden it.

Road race turned out to be a blast today as well. Took 1st place in the 30 miler! I was pretty stoked (and in disbelief) about that when I finished, but I did check my GPS and averaged 2 mph faster than I normally do on it.
    Awesome. Congrats!

No.

Good for you, seems only the top three know how they finished. does anyone know when they are going to post up the results? I can't find them. it would be nice if they would post up results at the venue.

Need more cowbell
    I just posted a scanned version to the race's facebook page.

rdub
    The race event's FB site mentions pics on smugmug.com of the MTB and Kids Krit events. Check out these sites cuz you're probably on them. Some of the coolest action shots I've seen of MTB racers. Well thought out camera positioning.

bhartphotos.smugmug.com &
    gaired.smugmug.com

If you find others, post the links.
    Last edited by ryno24; 11-14-2011 at 11:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I saw these. They are great photos for sure.

Can't wait until the road photos are posted up too...

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cru_jones View Post
    That was a ton of fun. It's been a long time since I've ridden course marked so well. For the entire time on dirt, I never even once questioned if I was on the right course or not.
    I was out on the Maricopa Trail today near the north end of Cave Creek Regional Park.....the "arrow signs" are still there. It's STILL well marked.

mtbr member
    Anybody get a .gpx of the course?

Need more cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by phxrider View Post
    Anybody get a .gpx of the course?
    Here you go. CCBF Garmin

mtbr member
    Here you go. CCBF Garmin
    Thank you WoD, most appreciated!!

Closekids.com
    Can you ride the whole route now? Or is some of it "closed", etc.
    Me to my riding buddy, "Want to ride this afternoon?"
    Him, "I can't. I have to chop this guys foot off at 2".

Closekids.com
    Or the best question may be...would you ride the route outside the festival vs. just riding around CC rec area.
    Me to my riding buddy, "Want to ride this afternoon?"
    Him, "I can't. I have to chop this guys foot off at 2".

Need more cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomingSooner View Post
    Or the best question may be...would you ride the route outside the festival vs. just riding around CC rec area.
    Yep....ride it all of the time. The flat tire bike shop has group rides of this loop every Sunday morning. Give them a call for times....sometimes they do 2 times...one for "race pace", and the second is more "social"

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    BommingSooner- This is the route I ride about 80% of the time I am on the bike. Great variety of terrain and scenery... That said, it can be sort of easy to get turned around if the flags and signs are gone, so you might want to ride it with someone the first time...

rdub
    BommingSooner- This is the route I ride about 80% of the time I am on the bike. Great variety of terrain and scenery... That said, it can be sort of easy to get turned around if the flags and signs are gone, so you might want to ride it with someone the first time...
    I would only add that you'll come to a few closed gates in the Spur Cross section (prior to entering Cave Creek Rec). I forgot about the 1st gate during the preride and nearly lost that battle. There's another after you leave CCR just beyond the river. You can either go through it or head up to Surrey road. Enjoy the climb if you do.