cave creek advise- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

cave creek advise

Soon, I'm making a mad dash weekend to the desert to escape the snow dulldrums. I was thinking about the Cave Creek Area. I'll most likely camp at the CC county regional park and ride one day here and one day there. So, what would make a good weekend of riding in your view? What trails would you not want to miss? What things would you want to avoid?
    Thanks in advance.
    There is a big difference between ripping and skidding.

wrecking crew
    mmmm...how far do you want the extention of your traveling to be?

BCT isn't too far to the north, McDowell Mtn Preserve just a smidge to the SE from there. I've ridden CC Regional Park Go John trail but it's pretty short although I'm sure there are trails around in that area.
    ~~~

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    There are definitely better places to ride than CC Regional Park. IMO it is one of the least fun trail systems in the valley. I second the BCT and McDowell suggestions, and would also recommend National to Geronimo on South Mountain if you haven't already been there. Hawes (Red Mountain) is another don't miss.
    Enjoy.

Chunky Monkey

CC Park

Chak,

Cherk your pm's.

Thx,

John

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Anyone who says CC park doesnt have good riding hasnt explored all th park has to offer!
    Im a local Creeker and live just on the other side of the park so i spend most of my time riding around in the hills out here.
    Sure Go John and Overton trails are good but theres much much more out there!
    Theres many different connectors that branch off of the main park trails that are really good riding. One of my personal favorites is riding Overton to Go John and then catching one of those connectors all the way up to the Spur Cross trail (which not many people know of) and its all great single track!
    One warning though is once you get off of the CC Park land NONE of the trails are marked and there are tons and tons of them going in various directions and its very easy to get lost.
    The best way to get in some great riding is to do one of the Flat Tire Bike Shops sunday morning rides, they usually do the loop i described above, just give them a call to make sure their riding and show up with plenty of water! their number is:480 488 5261. If not PM me and i will be happy to show you around!

mtbr member

Muchas Gracias!

Much appreciated circusubet and grody. Seems like Flat Tire bike shop is a great shop to have in your community. I'm looking forward to getting out of flagtown for a couple of days. and will be calling.
    There is a big difference between ripping and skidding.

dirty hippy mountainbiker
    What is BCT?

-M
    Mike Henderson, Dirty Hippy Mountain Biker and part owner of Jet Lites.

mtbr member
    Su ling~ posted some excellent info on trails north of cave creek in this thread
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=284829

It's been almost two years but probably still applies. An out and back on trail 4 to a nice swimming hole on the creek would make for 5 or 6 mile out and back. Not sure on the mileage. Otherwise, the next closest stuff besides CC park is Pima and Dynamite but that kind of blows in a winding, motorcycle trail, seemingly going nowhere kind of way.

Chunky Monkey

Bad advice

Quote Originally Posted by grody
    Anyone who says CC park doesnt have good riding hasnt explored all th park has to offer!
    Im a local Creeker and live just on the other side of the park so i spend most of my time riding around in the hills out here.
    Sure Go John and Overton trails are good but theres much much more out there!
    Theres many different connectors that branch off of the main park trails that are really good riding. One of my personal favorites is riding Overton to Go John and then catching one of those connectors all the way up to the Spur Cross trail (which not many people know of) and its all great single track!
    One warning though is once you get off of the CC Park land NONE of the trails are marked and there are tons and tons of them going in various directions and its very easy to get lost.
    The best way to get in some great riding is to do one of the Flat Tire Bike Shops sunday morning rides, they usually do the loop i described above, just give them a call to make sure their riding and show up with plenty of water! their number is:480 488 5261. If not PM me and i will be happy to show you around!
    Grods,

Shhhhhhhh.

They all need to stay at SOMO, the riding is better. The Spur Cross trail is gone.....The last to ride that trail was lost and only bones were found. MRP, T-100, SOMO, MMRP need the love...

Thx,

John

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by circusubet
    Grods,

Shhhhhhhh.

They all need to stay at SOMO, the riding is better. The Spur Cross trail is gone.....The last to ride that trail was lost and only bones were found. MRP, T-100, SOMO, MMRP need the love...

Thx,

John
    Oh yes thats right, The fabled Spur cross trail.. I heard a massive rock slide took out the whole thing! What a shame....

SOMO is much better! Blows everything we have up here out of the water

Chunky Monkey

P and D

Quote Originally Posted by Chalkpaw
    Much appreciated circusubet and grody. Seems like Flat Tire bike shop is a great shop to have in your community. I'm looking forward to getting out of flagtown for a couple of days. and will be calling.
    Chalk,

Check your pm's again.

Thx,

John

Kathleen in AZ
    Tomas - my sister lives just east of P/D and I ride from her house to both P/D area and to Pemberton in the McDowell county park. I'll be up that way next weekend (Feb 28-29) and will be available to ride on Sunday if that is your planned weekend escape. Also, I'm betting I can get you an invite to stay with her (Heather and new pup invited too) during your escape from snow. Post us when you plan to wander on down this way

Dooosh!
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfy
    What is BCT?

-M
    Black Canyon Trail. One of the best in the valley.

Members who have read this thread: 0