Cattle on BCT- Mtbr.com

Thread: Cattle on BCT

Ride More
    Jan 2004

Cattle on BCT

Hi!

I was riding on the BCT yesterday and came across a herd of cattle. In the past, this was a non-issue as the cows would normally get startled and run off. Yesterday, there were a number of bulls in the herd and they had the big horns and acted feisty...they were even mounting some of the cows! I waited it out and they eventually took off. I was wondering if there is a standard protocol for how to handle these situations. The last thing I want to do is get gored by a bull!

Thanks
    Drew

Ahhh the pain....
    Just be glad you were not wearing a red jersey....
    Actually, it's a good question. I've tried ringing my bell but it's pretty pathetic. As I approach them, they tend to run off; guessing they are really nearsighted.

The PNF Ax Man.
    May 2011
    Like this loner? This guy was right in the middle of the trail out and back. Going out I simply waited for him to move along which didn't take too long. Coming back I was running out of daylight. Yelling and waving both arms didn't seem to bother him one bit. In fact, he was standing his ground and did not look at all interested is sharing his territory. He did not like being stared at. What finally worked was not staring in his direction for about ten minutes. Then he continued to walk the trail and finally veered off it. I can tell you every time I made a move toward him he looked ready to defend himself.

Dash
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cattle on BCT-bct_cow.jpg  

Clearer-er of Prescott trails. Downhill downfall in your way? PM me. Have ax, will travel.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    not interrupting the mounting is probably a safe thing...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Rocks work wonders!
    Because, one is never enough.

Dirt Merchant
    You know what they say...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cattle on BCT-you-mess-bull-breakfast-club-richard-vernon-demotivational-posters-1298922737.jpg  

Keep pedalin'. You can catch your breath on the downhill!

'10 Stumpjumper Comp FSR
    '06 Rockhopper Comp

EDR
    they had the big horns and acted feisty...they were even mounting some of the cows!....I was wondering if there is a standard protocol for how to handle these situations
    Put your 20 bucks in the jar and wait your turn?

The PNF Ax Man.
    May 2011
    I came across another group of them at a different section. They all ran scared like crazy. They usually do. Not this guy though. He looked mean man. Didn't try throwing rocks. Didn't cross my mind for some reason. I don't mind telling you when I came around that corner and saw this guy right on the trail it scared the >>>> out of me.

Dash
    Clearer-er of Prescott trails. Downhill downfall in your way? PM me. Have ax, will travel.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    Just be glad you were not wearing a red jersey....
    Or that you don't look like a girl cow. <-- Redundant redundant.

mtbr member
    When they're mating is when they're the most unpredictable. Always stay on guard around them- they might be okay with a few people passing but can turn on you without much warning. Like many herd animals, if you have one that's across the trail, continuing forward and toward their backside will sometimes get them to move. You can't be scared when doing this though, you have to do it with authority. Really, the best bet is to not ride that 20 feet of trail and go around towards their backside.

Just don't wind up looking like this guy...
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

Over the Hill
    A show steer or a riding horse has no flight zone, but cattle that seldom see people have a large flight zone, varying from a few feet to 100 yards or more. When a person enters the flight zone, the animal will turn away. If a person is outside the animal's flight zone, it will turn and look at him or her. The size of the flight zone is determined by three interacting factors:

genetic traits (excitable versus calm),
    amount of contact with people (see them everyday or only twice a year)
    and the quality of the contact with people (negative versus positive).

SAFE HANDLING OF LARGE ANIMALS (CATTLE AND HORSES)

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Try this.....let us know how it goes....

mtbr member
    Bonus points for the Crocodile Dundee! Its always been my dream to try that out...maybe on something more docile than a bull, though...
    "There's nothing like touching earth you've never touched"

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    Quote Originally Posted by bazooka_beard View Post
    Bonus points for the Crocodile Dundee! Its always been my dream to try that out...maybe on something more docile than a bull, though...
    on the cop during a roadside sobriety test...

Closekids.com
    Quote Originally Posted by DashRiprock™®© View Post
    Like this loner? This guy was right in the middle of the trail out and back. Going out I simply waited for him to move along which didn't take too long. Coming back I was running out of daylight. Yelling and waving both arms didn't seem to bother him one bit. In fact, he was standing his ground and did not look at all interested is sharing his territory. He did not like being stared at. What finally worked was not staring in his direction for about ten minutes. Then he continued to walk the trail and finally veered off it. I can tell you every time I made a move toward him he looked ready to defend himself.

Dash
    What part of the trail is this? Looks great.
    Me to my riding buddy, "Want to ride this afternoon?"
    Him, "I can't. I have to chop this guys foot off at 2".

The PNF Ax Man.
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomingSooner View Post
    What part of the trail is this? Looks great.
    That was within the first mile or so south of Hidden Treasure Mine trail head.

Dash

Multiple Lines Rock
    In Hurricane, I rode up towards a bull around a corner who would not move off the trail. Stood his ground, as we slowly walked our bikes got as close as 10- 15 yards, saw him at 18, and stopped at once, dismounted and walked... he even advanced at us as slowly we retreated while facing him, walking backwards. I then got off trail and put a bush between me and him, and even then he slowly walked around the bush, we quickened our pace and walked away. Later, he was in the parking lot. I think he was looking or me. I was scared. It was bull number #18, will never forget.