My other ride is your mom

Casner Durty Century Ride

Here it be....post up if you'd like to partake. I'll work on the gpx between now and then for the full Hundy....for those who are already thinking of doing a half.....I can't guarantee NAU sorority girls at the base of the wagon trail to transport you back to Flagstaff.....but I can guarantee that the brewery will have beer down in Sedona....they also have hotdogs on the patio......and there may be some old retired dude with a truck who will transport wayward souls for beer money back up top if you coordinate........

PM me for details.......but please check out the official site first for details if you have questions and please express your intent here and the site listed below:

http://rockyroad5050.wordpress.com/2...dirty-century/

For those who have never done an AES.....this is a very accessible AES ride if done as a half ride......ASSUMING you can tolerate ambiguous directions, gpx cues and extreme temperature differences. Outside of that....well....if you really want to do the hundy....you already know what you're doing. It would be nice to know ahead of time who is planning on doing the half, and who is planning on doing the whole. That won't change anything....but starting the conversation here will help. To be clear......

There are no fees, no prizes, but all attempts will be made to record your finish time in comparison to others. The goal is to finish these challenges while setting your own pace. A start time and route are provided here and it is up to the participant to understand the route, and also have full responsibility for their navigation and well being. These are not group rides, although some people might do these as rides with friends or even other riders they meet at the start, along the route.

Since the events are self-supportive, it should be understood that these are for experienced backcountry cyclists only. If you question your ability to complete such an event, it is best that you consider another option before trying one of these. Also, maps, gps devices, water filtration units, and other back country tools are methods to ensure you complete the race. Therefore it is up to you – and you alone – to ensure your safety!!

For what it's worth....I've never done this full route either because the smell of the brewery last year pulled me off track and kept me there.......YMMV......

pedaller
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    If you question your ability to complete such an event, it is best that you consider another option before trying one of these.
    Wow. How did I miss that? It's only fun if I DO question my ability to complete such an event!

I'm in for at least the 50 and very scared of the 100. So I guess that puts me somewhere in between.
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

Rhino
    Maad, you'll see Rhino. I'm in for the full hundo. I might make it an overnight and ride Casner>Coco (ccw). Guessing 125ish. I never seem to follow the intended route, so I figured why start now.

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Most likey 50 for sure. If I'm doing the 100, I'm just going to bring my bikepacking gear....I"ve never done 50 miles under 10 hours, anywhere, so for a full hunsky, I'll need a nap. I take it its not a group ride like last year?
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

banned
    Sep 2007
    I believe last year the trip from the top to Sedona was 60 miles or thereabouts. I don't know if the route down is being shortened this time or not, down to 50 miles.

Tucson, AZ
    Some pics will help this cause:

The telephone road that we will be riding down from Flagstaff goes through wilderness on both sides. It's a special place, seen by few people, mtbikers and off-road enthusiasts alike.

I am also talking to TrailDoc to see if he can make some of the rollers on the powerline easier for us so it is not as hard as last year. More on that to come.
    Last edited by azepicriderandrunner; 04-25-2011 at 10:06 AM.

Here is a link to some more pics from last year's half a hundy ride....

http://maadjurguer.blogspot.com/2010/05/half-dirty.html

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Is the .gpx up on the Google Group or anywhere else yet?

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Count me IN for the 1/2 century. Really looking forward to this one.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

Ahhh the pain....
    I'll take 100 please...

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    What's the elevation gain for the 100 ride and about what's the average time for an average rider wanting to do the 100? Any places to fuel and rehydrate along the route?

Occidental Tourist
    Tentative in for the hundy.
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

Rhino
    @Chad / Maad...has anyone finished the ACTUAL course to get a time to shoot for?

I haven't looked at the gpx file yet. Same as last year or will there be changes. -Rhino

Right now, the route is as advertised last year. However, I'm looking into alternatives to the "gasline" traverse once we get down Casner....

total stats on the complete route as done last year are 100miles and 7800ft of climbing. I'll let others comment on how long it took....

Rhino
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    Right now, the route is as advertised last year. However, I'm looking into alternatives to the "gasline" traverse once we get down Casner....

total stats on the complete route as done last year are 100miles and 7800ft of climbing. I'll let others comment on how long it took....
    I think it took me 7 hours to get from Flag to Sedona (Schnebly Hill turnoff). That's riding all the singletrack in Sedona. I'm sure it can be done much faster, as I am slow.

Is the death march through Sedona coming out (I think this is the gasline section you refer too?) ? With my mad HAB skills I dominate that section.

Tucson, AZ
    The GPX will be up as soon as we finalize the new route. I can send anyone last year's if they PM their email, as can Maad.

I did it the first year solo, including all the stuff in Sedona although I skipped riding up Hot Shot. Last year, we skipped nearly all the singletrack in Sedona. I presume that we will skip some of the singletrack again, perhaps head farther north to Aerie. Maad and I need to talk about the new route.

This is the 5th year of this race/ride. We used to go through Lake Mary AZT/Munds before using the Casner route. It's a fun day on the bike.

parenting for gnarness
    planning on this, at least the 50.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

mtbr member
    I've really wanted to do this one (half verison). I should try to get my act together and make plans in time this year. What do people do the night before? I'm dumb enough, though, I would probably consider leaving home at 3am, driving up and starting

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    The AES website states this is a group ride. What does this mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Pedlin' Slow
    Any places to fuel and rehydrate along the route?
    Burger King in Sedona. Nothing like a whopper and fries before climbing Shnebly road.

The ride from Flagstaff to Sedona is pretty much all dirt road and mostly trends downhill - as I recall. There is one killer climb before you start the big drop down into Sedona. So, personally, I didn't require a lot of water on that first part. However the singletrack through Sedona was rather grueling. I think Maad is looking for alternate routes. You will pass through town before heading up Shnebly. And really, we did stop at Burger King - but there are many other options. Once you do the long climb up Shnebly and out of Sedona, you pass a gas station about a mile down I-17. So that is another possible water/fuel stop. It is mostly rolling from there back so you should be fine.

The views from the first part of the ride are spectacular and make this worth doing. Also quite scenic as you head up Shnebly.

--Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by ARIZycle
    The AES website states this is a group ride. What does this mean?
    It means that we are not logging times on this ride. Last year, the group was pretty well matched as we rolled out of flagstaff and to Casner. After the drop, the faster-full meal deal group separated from the slower and half meal deal group.

I would anticipate something like that happening again, possibly even sooner if required. With that being said, I would not only highly recommended a GPS....I would insist upon it because while we may be riding as a group....if you have a flat or mechanical, the entire group is not going to wait for folks. To put it another way, you need to be prepared to navigate this thing by yourself just in case.

Ahhh the pain....
    Something tells me that climbing Schnebly after downing a whopper might go something like this...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Raybum
    Something tells me that climbing Schnebly after downing a whopper might go something like this...
    heh, fortunately no. But I'm blaming that on making me last one up the hill.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Regarding how long it took last year. There a handful of us that stuck together the whole & I think we pretty much stuck to the route. My garmin shows a tick shy of nine hours RIDE time but, I think the total time including stops was about 11hours. the BK stop is key. A chicken sandwich, some caffeine, and sugar is what you need going up Schnebly. Great ride.

mtbr member
    Why is it every time this ride happens, I'm out of town!!

pedaller
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    planning on this, at least the 50.
    +1

More monkeybutt!

Tucson, AZ

Where's the optimal place to park a car for the half century shuttle/pick up? I might be able to get my hands on a truck if others are in need of getting back to Flag with bikes.

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Dag Nabbit
    Where's the optimal place to park a car for the half century shuttle/pick up? I might be able to get my hands on a truck if others are in need of getting back to Flag with bikes.
    Basha's on Coffee Pot would be the best place. It is in stumbling distance of the brewery.

Occidental Tourist
    Quote Originally Posted by YuriB
    Tentative in for the hundy.
    Eh, make that the fiddy.
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

Fiddy for me too....bout to bust it big and I'm not too sure I'll be up for another hundy....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azepicriderandrunner
    Basha's on Coffee Pot would be the best place. It is in stumbling distance of the brewery.
    What all can you do at that location (the actual brewery) of Oak Creek??? I think you just blew my mind a little because Google maps had given me the impression there wasn't anything there anymore and the only thing you could go to was the grill at Tlaquepaque. I wish I would have realized that last time I stayed in Sedona for a couple days almost right across from the Basha's!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tonebone2000
    What all can you do at that location (the actual brewery) of Oak Creek???
    You mean other than drink the most amazing AZ beer: Oak Creek Nut Brown.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

you can eat hot dogs there too....

Tucson, AZ
    What all can you do at that location (the actual brewery) of Oak Creek??? I think you just blew my mind a little because Google maps had given me the impression there wasn't anything there anymore and the only thing you could go to was the grill at Tlaquepaque. I wish I would have realized that last time I stayed in Sedona for a couple days almost right across from the Basha's!
    Eat poopcorn, order in pizza, drink beer, talk to the crazy regulars (watch out for the guy with the vest, ripped jeans and constuction hat, he will talk your ear off) and enjoy some live music/fire pit (assuming you stay that late)....

It's chilled and laid back, perfect after such a ride.

There are also good hotdogs at the Brewery now....

mtbr member
    I was misled into thinking the Grill was the only place to go.. weak!

I was pretty surprised when I profiled the track for the half, it still has ~3800 ft of elevation gain. That's not far off the last long ride (BCT from HTM to Emery Henderson) I did where I about died (exaggeration). I've been a little paranoid about long rides since then, because I'm a wuss.

There are a few early bailouts to 89a though. The half is really more like 60 mi and the first bail would be right about 41 in. I'm not the only one that bails often enough that I plan bail routes along with a ride am I?? lol.

Anyone still have room in their shuttle?

Looks like the start won't be too terribly cold.. I was thinking I'd have to actually get some cold weather gear since I haven't ridden in anything cooler than ~50 since I moved here.

I always plain bail points....that's part of the deal with going longer....the real trick is not allowing yourself the luxury of bailing on something before you really need it....something I always struggle with.

I'm back in for the Hundy, having found a sucker.....er....partner to come with me.....

mtbr member
    Maad, I'll see you at the start. Would be cool to make it to the Brewery with you, but understand when you drop me.
    b

Rhino
    Quote Originally Posted by urbanseeds
    Maad, you'll see Rhino. I'm in for the full hundo. I might make it an overnight and ride Casner>Coco (ccw). Guessing 125ish. I never seem to follow the intended route, so I figured why start now.
    I'm out. Probably will tackle the full hundo plus some extra miles and the end of May or possibly next weekend...when the weather is much warmer

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by urbanseeds
    I'm out. Probably will tackle the full hundo plus some extra miles and the end of May or possibly next weekend...when the weather is much warmer
    that's too bad, Maad is going to be giving out shammy-butterings.

Ahhh the pain....
    Warmer? Eesh...climbing schnebly sat afternoon gonna be plenty warm. I'm gonna need some butter on my "shammy"...
    looking forward to it. Real nice up here today, should be similar on sat.

I'm handing out Name Tags at the start.....that's it....no shammy butterings.......that's sayin' a lot more than Chad can......

Thanks to all who threw it down yesterday....post up your pics if you got'em....I'm all pic'd out on the week and did not bring my camera on this one.....Glad to meet some more folks and put handles to faces and faces to names

DFL>DNF>DNS
    I had a great time yesterday especially after I realized my seat was slightly misaligned causing significant discomfort. The higher altitude really hit me, but I finally settled in & met up with Dag Nabbit, NoelG & BrianC for the rest of the day. Here's a link to the full photo album: Casner Pics

A couple of notable hi moments from the day were: having the 4 of us buzzed (within a foot)by a couple of sparrows up on the ridgeline, spotting a turquiose collared lizard on the Casner run-out, seeing a red-tailed hawk gliding around, NO mechanicals, finishing with daylight to spare and having a celebratory brew at Oak Creek Brewery. Good day indeed.

Here's a small sampling of pics:

Bill Williams Mtn. in the distance
    From AES Casner Mtn.

The lesser seen side of Sedona, Sycamore Canyon WIlderness view
    From AES Casner Mtn.

One of the few climbs on the route
    From AES Casner Mtn.

The San Francisco Peaks provided a nice backdrop for our lunch stop
    From AES Casner Mtn.

BrianC dropping off into oblivion
    From AES Casner Mtn.

Dag Nabbit speeding by on the descent
    From AES Casner Mtn.

Collared lizard sighting
    From AES Casner Mtn.

NoelG finishing out the singletrack
    From AES Casner Mtn.

Mmmmm....beer.
    From AES Casner Mtn.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Good times yesterday. For being pretty much all dirt road, I didn't care with the sweet views of the Red Rock Secret Mountain Wilderness and Sycamore Canyon Wilderness we were witness to from a sliver of non-wilderness that runs between the both of them. Incredible scenery and great ride. Worth the 30 "road"miles to get there.

Just getting getting going with BrianC in the morning, who caught me in a few miles on the dirt. We later grouped up with Freeskier and Noelg.

Sycamore Canyon Wilderness, as we first saw it. Quite impressive.

Our ridge of solitude. On the left, Red Rock Secret Mountain Wilderness and on the right, Sycamore Canyon Wilderness. Good thing people need power, or we'd be in Wilderness! The ridge ride was a treat!

RRSMW

We even caght Yuri and YetiSurly making the grind up the ridge. We thought we were close, but effort wise, we had a bit to make it to where they were. Both are toiling away in this picture somewhere.

The road that was cut in was pretty impressive.

Up and up!

Awesomness of Nature, behold!

Coming down was pretty steep stuff.

Bombing down that was pretty fun.

We finished on some dirt roads the finally, at about mile 55, hit some singletrack. But no matter, those veiws were still in my head.

Ahhh the pain....
    Thanks for taking pics guys. The scenery was amazing. Paul D and I were on a mission to complete the whole thing in 12 hours so our stops were fairly short. Still took us 11:34 to roll back into Safeway... I feel like ground meat today...

sprocket
    Great morning on the bike!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Casner Durty Century Ride-casner-50.1.jpg  

Last edited by yetisurly; 05-15-2011 at 04:40 PM.

Occidental Tourist
    i don't know why i brought the rip9 but i sure was glad to have it for the drop off casner mtn. scenic ride for sure.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Casner Durty Century Ride-cimg2988.jpg  

Last edited by YuriB; 05-16-2011 at 01:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yetisurly
    Great morning on the bike!

You need a big "Beer Mug" icon at the end of your track.....and a flask icon at least at 40min in from the start......it's up to you to be truthful on your other flask stops

I was battling Thai food bowel irregularity all day (but damn if Dara Thai don't taste good).....when you pulled the flask out at 7am, my gut turned a loop....and so I moved on, hoping for that exercise induced constipation which never quite happened until I ate a fish sandwich and fries at Burger King.....that fixed it.....

Is that too much info?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    It was good meeting some of you and riding, Special thanks to Ray and another guy for waiting on me and motivating me to finish. The single track into Sedona was as brutal as it was scenic.

Got a suspension fork
    Nice pix Freeskier and Dagnabit - and a hell of a ride everybody.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

sprocket
    was RandyBoy there or not?

mtbr member
    The award for the first person to loose his nametag.........Chollaball. Who left his mark soon after we hit dirt for the first time.
    b

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by brianc
    The award for the first person to loose his nametag.........Chollaball. Who left his mark soon after we hit dirt for the first time.
    oops. i hope you did me a solid and left no trace.

sprocket
    [QUOTE=Maadjurguer]You need a big "Beer Mug" icon at the end of your track.....and a flask icon at least at 40min in from the start......it's up to you to be truthful on your other flask stops
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Casner Durty Century Ride-casner-50.991.jpg  

Tucson, AZ
    Name tags....the tradition continues.

pedaller
    Signing in at the start and getting our name tags. Sadly, within 20 minutes, I wouldn't see most of these folks again...

THIS is why we came on this ride...

The baddest mofo seen on the trail on this ride...

Hike-a-bike! I love seeing the SF Peaks (our starting point) SO far away!

Yes, it took our breath away...

Which way do we go again??? GPS highly recommended! (we had 3!)

Finally hitting the black top near Chimney Rock we can almost taste the brews...

OH YESSSSSS!!!

I LOVE AES rides. The people, the routes, the vibe...awesome...

A great day on the bike! Thanks Chad for dreaming these up and thanks Maad for covering for Chad!

Sorry this one turned into a bit of a hammer fest and less of a group ride...but I knew you guys in the back were having a blast. We basically had 3 groups......uber fast (50 miler group from Flag).....trying to hang with uber fast (100miler group trying to keep pace)....and the party crew (in the rear with the beer).

I guess the three groups above pretty much represents the core of any AES event I've ever been at....this ride in particular is a toughy for the camaraderie in the end because of the 50/100 mile split options....50milers end at the brewery...100milers get done at Safeway and just want to go home.

For those of you whose first AES ride was this one...congrats. For your next one, try the Kentucky Camp...you get to camp out....that's where the name tags truly shine....

pedaller
    Never had any illusion that this was going to be a group ride. I was happy to be with the flower sniffing crew and that we were free to snap as many pics as we wanted without worrying about a group -though I never saw the supposed beer you speak of.

IMO, group ride or not, everyone should show up prepared to be self-sufficient anyway. You never know what is going to happen out there.

mtbr member
    The fact that I did *not* have a beer in my pack had no bearing on my finishing this AES event and my failure at the last AES event, with a beer in my pack.

maybe at PMC I should have drank the beer before the 42 mile mark and saved off the cramps just long enough to finish.

Yes the Flower sniffers had some fun. while there was no beer...there was a flask. Which apparently there was strength in that thing. Way to finish boys!
    b

The back of the pack, flower sniffing, ride sweeping, picture taking, flask tipping group is where its at! All that uber riding is just too much work, which means I'll be in this group for the foreseeable future. But I'm fine with that! Picture pace is my race. Just love collecting those pixels....

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Might as well round out the foursome here. I don't know if it was the flask or not, but I felt better at mile 55 than mile 10!! This was my 4th AES event and every one has been a blast, I'll keep coming back and assume position as trail sweeper any day. It's all about the ride.

While I'll never be in the 'hammer' group, I am in awe at the times some folks can post & on SS to boot.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    I've really enjoyed the pics from everyone. Thanks for sharing your experiences. I wasn't able to make it but was still thinking about doing this ride either soon, before it gets too hot, or in the fall. What's the water situation like for the half? Are there potable or at least filterable sources along the way or should I bring ~150oz on me?

mtbr member
    I've really enjoyed the pics from everyone. Thanks for sharing your experiences. I wasn't able to make it but was still thinking about doing this ride either soon, before it gets too hot, or in the fall. What's the water situation like for the half? Are there potable or at least filterable sources along the way or should I bring ~150oz on me?

we passed a few tanks that had better water than some. but none of the flower sniffers filtered any water. I had 100oz bladder plus 2 bottles. Which was not quite enough for the 8.25H of saddle time. John and Seron had 200 oz and they shared some with Noel and I. so your estimate of ~150oz should be ok.

the only water spots we saw were up on the Rim, so in the 1st 30 ish miles. When you really need the water is once you drop off the edge of the world. and we didn't see anything close to the route with water to filter.

It was on the edge of too hot already. 42F at the start, but when we got to Sedona it was cookin'. thankfully we had a good day with temps on the "cool" side for May.
    b

Tucson, AZ

Bring tablets for emergency and 150 ounces should be fine. Brian has the best beta.

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by freeskier46
    It's all about the ride.
    Well said. "Pushing yourself" has hopefully come synonymous with AES. The Coconino 250 is well within reach now!

parenting for gnarness
    finally got my pixels processed. More pics and blather here: https://chollaball.net/blog/2011/05/...y-century.html

Meatbomb
    my ass hurts just reading your reports.... i'm in awe. you guys rock !!

Members who have read this thread: 0