Carbon wheels in AZ- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Carbon wheels in AZ

So I'm looking at getting into a 2015 SC Bronson. Of course the Enve wheels look great and are very light. However, I'm very curious about how they'll hold up in rocky terrain that we ride here in AZ. I rode three trails today in Prescott and at least 5 times the aluminum wheels on my Bronson took a beating. I don't think these wheels would stand a chance here... Anyone able to comment on this one???

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    They'll be fine, don't worry about it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Anyone I know that really rides a bike and has bought carbon rims has had the rims crack within 3 or 4 months of riding them.

If you are light and ride really conservatively it might be ok.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I'm 200 in gear and rode the snot out of mine at SoMo and PMP. No cracks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Thanks.. I figured it'd be a few answers. If I added the, (very pricey) option and I broke them, I'd be pissed! The guy who owns the shop I buy parts and gear from told me I'd destroy them.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Enve's on my bronson, no issues. Well worth the $$

mtbr member
    I think ENVE warranties their wheels for around 5 years and guarantees 50% of MSRP for life if they're ever damaged in a crash. You'll have to google the specifics, but ENVE certainly stands behind their product. I'm not a good enough rider to justify the kind of money those wheels cost, but I've never heard anyone regret having them.

mtbr member
    I have about 750 miles on my light bicycle carbon rims on the 14 Bronson with no issues. I have rode SoMo, Sedona Flag and most local Phoenix trails.

I had the rims laced up to my stock DT Swiss 350 hubs.

mtbr member
    Ive had two sets of carbon haven wheels (26/29) and have beat the piss out of them for 2-3 years and have not had an issue. I weigh 190 with gear. On my 29er I run 23 psi front, 25 rear.

I tried 27.5 light bicycle rims and those cracked after 2 months, I may have flatted first and then hit a rock, but dont know. They were warrantied but have not ridden since, mostly because I got a 29er. (If anyone wants a lightly used pair of light bicycle AM build 27.5 rims laced to CK hubs PM me)

I love the ride of carbon rims, I can tell the difference from them and my old flows

Bottom line, I would not worry at all about the ENVE AM or carbon Haven rims. I have only read about cracks and chips in lighter weight rims or other brands - and I looked for reports.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    Anyone I know that really rides a bike and has bought carbon rims has had the rims crack within 3 or 4 months of riding them.

If you are light and ride really conservatively it might be ok.
    Stop lying, I have never owned carbon rims.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    For a less expensive option to the Enve's, get super Dave Thomas to put together a set of Nox wheels for you. They are very stiff and roll very fast. I think they were about $500 less than the enves I priced out.

Ow!
    After reading many reviews and forums, I think it depends on the quality of the carbon rim. Both ENVE and Easton have very good reps for carbon rims. I have a set of Haven carbons that I bounce around on rocks here in Tucson with no problems, and do not expect any. I read through the thread for Light bicycle and decided I wouldn't try them. Too many people had problems when it involved rocks or off-landings (and seems just riding along too), which I have/do both. Both ENVE and Easton have (or had) very good warranties on their rims/wheels. I use some carbon Ritcheys on another bike that are doing well also, though I have not had as much time on them.

Now the Easton hubs may still be a ?. I had to send my rear wheel in for warranty, which Easton quickly rebuilt with the newer hub. So far it is working well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    That's it.. I'm buying this wheel set. Thank you all for the input! FYI ENVE has a very good warranty program.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitzmiller80 View Post
    That's it.. I'm buying this wheel set. Thank you all for the input! FYI ENVE has a very good warranty program.
    You should have a look at these before pulling the trigger on the Enve's at twice the cost. Ibis 741 Carbon 27.5" Wheelset > I > Ibis Bicycles | Jenson USA

Go wide. You can thank mr.whir later.