mtbr member

Carbon protection here in AZ

I've got my eye on a used carbon bike, and want to know what peeps here in AZ do to protect their carbon frame from rock strikes, particularly on the down tube and under the bottom bracket. I've read other threads about helicopter tape, and wonder if it does a good job, or is something thicker better?
    I primarily ride PMP and other North side Phx trail systems with lots of loose rock.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

its been on 5 months now. No signs of peeling off and it protects.

mtbr member
    This kit installed quite nicely on mrs. rockman's Ibis Mojo. Don't even know it's there. Frameskin

mtbr member
    It's a sign of a good relationship when your lady doesn't notice your frameskin

Ahhh the pain....
    I found some fairly thick tape on ebay (3M Polyurethane Protective Tape Transparent 4"x 12" Helicopter Bike Frame per Ft | eBay) that I just put on my carbon frame. It's thicker than the usual helicopter tape. I think all these tape products will work for the small rock or pebble strike, but if you get a decent sized sharp rock hit it with enough velocity, the tape isn't going to do much. The skid plate type solutions I think are really the only answer to big strikes.

Give it a crank
    What Raybum said.

My aluminum frame has a few big dents at the BB/down tube joint, only a thick skid plate would protect a carbon frame from the big hits that made those dents.

Carbon or Commie?
    Rtv a titanium plate on if you want super duper protection.

Real helicopter tape will outlast your frame though.

Ahhh the pain....
    my A9C actually has the 2nd set of water bottle mounts on the underside of the downtube. I put on a cateye plastic cage there and I'm thinking that's gotta help deflect stuff.
    I think someone with some fab skills could take a piece of plastic, shape it to fit the down tube then use some double sticky tape (the kind with a little foam in between) and fasten it on. If the frame had bottle mounts, you could use those or just use zip ties.
    The two Ti frames I've owned have suffered small dents in that area from the BB to about 10" up the downtube. That's probably the highest risk area.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the good options. In my mind I'm picturing thick neoprene, or a mouse pad type material, maybe a skid plate is what I should get if I buy the bike.

Ahhh the pain....
    Quote Originally Posted by stevland View Post
    It's a sign of a good relationship when your lady doesn't notice your frameskin
    I think my parents had mine removed before they took me home from the hospital.

DFMBA.org

Carbon protection here in AZ

This stuff is sold by the foot at Home Depot and it's really durable and pretty light. I just cut a pice to size, zip-tied it to my frame and used some double-sided tape as a little insurance. Works really well. http://t.homedepot.com/p/Multy-Home-...3US/100174337/

"It's a mountain bike, get over it." -Kaolin
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    I think someone with some fab skills could take a piece of plastic, shape it to fit the down tube then use some double sticky tape (the kind with a little foam in between) and fasten it on. If the frame had bottle mounts, you could use those or just use zip ties.
    Cytoe is a member here who makes something like what you described:

Rock protection for the Santa Cruz Tallboy Niner Ripley Ibis frames, and Ibis Ripley - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    i just maintain the thick accumulation of dust on my downtube and no ever ever sees the dings.

Just here for the scenery
    Quote Originally Posted by GR1822 View Post
    Thanks for all the good options. In my mind I'm picturing thick neoprene, or a mouse pad type material.
    That's what I wanted too.

Carbon protection here in AZ-wp_005212.jpg

Try this stuff. Flexible, conformable rubber tape about 1/16" thick, with super tacky adhesive on one side. I molded it to the contours all around my bottom bracket and up the downtube. Make a good chainstay protector too.

Found it in the electrical section at Home Depot, in the rack with the electrical tapes. NOT available in decorator colors though.

trail "cleaner"
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbAZ44 View Post
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

its been on 5 months now. No signs of peeling off and it protects.
    2nd this. It's been on my RIP RDO for over a year now with no signs coming off. It's better protection than many of the other options listed in this thread.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Largely overrated. I've been trying to break an HD for a while, the carbon is intact.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    That's really cool, but I've got dents on my steel frame down tube that are higher up than that protector covers, would be nice if you could get XL length.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by randyharris View Post
    That's really cool, but I've got dents on my steel frame down tube that are higher up than that protector covers, would be nice if you could get XL length.

You could always contact him and ask.

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    You could always contact him and ask.
    I would if I buy a carbon frame, but I'm rolling old school steel and don't care much about protecting it much. Like longhairmike I find that keeping the bike dirty hides all.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by randyharris View Post
    How much higher up the downtube? If I go longer, it may require the use industrial mounting tape to keep the plate flush against the frame. Also, shipping becomes more expensive... I could offer an additional separate downtube only protector that is positioned above the regular plate.

Click Click Click
    Bwahahahah

Name:  sFECet5.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  62.3 KB
    "You either want to or you don't."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdennis View Post
    Bwahahahah

Not entirely true. I just traded in the aluminum frame for a carbon one. Weight wise, about the same. But man, the carbon rides so much nicer.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Click Click Click
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
    Not entirely true. I just traded in the aluminum frame for a carbon one. Weight wise, about the same. But man, the carbon rides so much nicer.
    Yeah, just feeling like a smart ass today (like pretty much every day) To each their own... In the end they are all just mountain bikes, ride them till they break, then replace the broken parts, pretty simple...
    "You either want to or you don't."

mtbr member
    Bwahahahah

Love it!

I wish it were the case though. I'm just looking for a different bike, and found a pretty good deal on one that happens to be carbon. I need to drop weight off my gut before I worry about weight from he bike

I made made the mistake of going to a bike bike shop to ask about it, and talked to the owner for about an hour (super good dude, just met him today), and he almost has me sold on on an aluminum bike now.

F*ck. I'm a hot mess of indecision right now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GR1822 View Post
    Love it!

I wish it were the case though. I'm just looking for a different bike, and found a pretty good deal on one that happens to be carbon. I need to drop weight off my gut before I worry about weight from he bike

I made made the mistake of going to a bike bike shop to ask about it, and talked to the owner for about an hour (super good dude, just met him today), and he almost has me sold on on an aluminum bike now.

F*ck. I'm a hot mess of indecision right now.
    What bike shop, and what bike? My HT carbon is night and day a better ride than my HT aluminum. Basically the same bike--same manufacture, same, year, etc.--but a world of difference in how they ride.

That said, I'm really not sure how much different carbon makes over aluminum for a FS bike. But then again, I've never ridden a carbon FS bike either.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Yeah, just feeling like a smart ass today (like pretty much every day) To each their own... In the end they are all just mountain bikes, ride them till they break, then replace the broken parts, pretty simple...
    Unless it says "S" on it.
    Drinkin the S-Works Kool-aid

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
    What bike shop, and what bike? My HT carbon is night and day a better ride than my HT aluminum. Basically the same bike--same manufacture, same, year, etc.--but a world of difference in how they ride.

That said, I'm really not sure how much different carbon makes over aluminum for a FS bike. But then again, I've never ridden a carbon FS bike either.
    Long story... I'm going back tomorrow to talk to him more about it... Nuts and bolts are a used '13 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR expert carbon 29er versus a closeout '13 Scott Genius 930 29er.

It's friggin Thunderdome in my head right now.

mtbr member
    I did a demo on a carbon hardtail... I was not in the market for a new bike... but within a month after that demo, I bought a carbon hardtail...

much more comfortable ride than aluminum...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Have been using this on 2 Carbon MTB..Made for the down tube.. Good stuff

All Mountain Style

Mtbr minion
    May 2006
    I just finished installing an Invisiframe kit - it's amazing!! From 3 feet away, you cannot see it. Especially on my Matte Carbon Santa Cruz Nomad C. It's made from 3M automotive Ventureshield.

Bicycle Frame Protection | Invisiframe

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    for those on a budget, try slapping some maxi-pads on the bottom of your downtube

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Mariposa Shelter - it's thicker than anything else I've seen and a bit expensive but so far so good. Also, like others have said, it's a mountain bike so accept that it's going to get scratched & dirty - I'm mainly concerned with protecting the downtube/bottom-bracket getting cracked - I've kicked up some pretty big rocks and I don't even ride the most technical trails...