mtbr member
    May 2005

Canadian going to Flagstaff

Hello,

I am heading down to Flagstaff for the August 19-21 mountain bike festival and am wondering about good places to:

ride trails
    Stay
    Camp
    Eat
    Have coffee (this one is almost as important as trails)

Thansk for any suggestions.

oh....almost forgot....

"eh"

EDR
    If you haven't ridden the Red Rock country of Sedona, and you are comming all this way, then you must ride there. Not far from Flag. Ask anybody with a bike when you arrive. Stop in a one the LBS's in Sedona for trail suggestions suited to your level. It's gonna be hot, ride early.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GFWD
    Hello,

I am heading down to Flagstaff for the August 19-21 mountain bike festival and am wondering about good places to:

ride trails
    Stay
    Camp
    Eat
    Have coffee (this one is almost as important as trails)

Thansk for any suggestions.

oh....almost forgot....

"eh"
    Since you're coming for the festival, I'm guessing you'll be riding the more popular Mt. Eldon trails. Camping, I've camped in Hart Prarie, but it's far from town. Eat, I'm a huge fan of Beaver Street Brewery. Coffee, Macy's (across form Beaver Street) is a can't miss.

Have fun, eh.

sprocket
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Since you're coming for the festival, I'm guessing you'll be riding the more popular Mt. Eldon trails. Camping, I've camped in Hart Prarie, but it's far from town. Eat, I'm a huge fan of Beaver Street Brewery. Coffee, Macy's (across form Beaver Street) is a can't miss.

Have fun, eh.
    Macy's and Beaver Street. I hit them both up everytime I am in Flag. In fact, I am wearing a Macy's t-shirt right now! And my ice water is sitting on a BeaverStreet Brewery coasster that I pilfered. Elden trails are a riot.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Flag is car free

Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire

Have fun, eh.
    To add a little bit to this; Stay at Debeau Hostel (actually an old motel) - $35 for a room with bath. Why camp when you can be near everything? Next door is Macy's (best coffee in town), and accros the street from Beaver Street Brewery. A couple of blocks away is Pay-n-Take where you can get some of the worlds finest bottled beers at dirt cheap prices. ($3.50 for a Sam Smith). Late-For-The-Train is also a great coffee shop, and Pay-n-Take also serves up java as well.

We usually stay @ Debeau and ride to the trail over at Mt. Elden or also Walnut Creek and Marshall Lake. I've spent whole weeks there and never used the car. Flagstaff has everything you need within walking or biking distance.

Re: The Trails. Mt. Elden has the network...pick up Emmits Barks Map (a few errors but nothing major) and stop by AZ Bikes to get the scoop on local trails (ask for Bryce). The best guide for the area - might no longer be in print; Mike Shook's Flag/Sedona rides. Cosmic Ray has a guide as well, but I've never looked at it.

M

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thanks for the replies, Mary's and Beaver Street sound like places I must go.

I have no experience camping in Arizona but am wondering, is it legal and free to camp in certain areas? I know when I bike in Idaho and Montana I can camp for free as long as I am self sufficient (which I am), and clean up after myself (which I do). Is this legal in Arizona as well?

The Hostel sounds good, but every penny I save can be used on good food and good coffee, especially depending on what our exchange rate is when I get my American cash.

I am Doctor Remulak
    I have no experience camping in Arizona but am wondering, is it legal and free to camp in certain areas? I know when I bike in Idaho and Montana I can camp for free as long as I am self sufficient (which I am), and clean up after myself (which I do). Is this legal in Arizona as well?
    Sure is, there are many areas in the Coconino National Forest open to dispersed camping. You could find a spot at the base of Mt Elden and ride for days right from camp.

Ouch, I am hot!
    Thanks for the replies, Mary's and Beaver Street sound like places I must go.

The Hostel sounds good, but every penny I save can be used on good food and good coffee, especially depending on what our exchange rate is when I get my American cash.
    Not sure if you need to make a reservation or payment, but you can camp right near the trails of Mt. Elden. Plenty of camping by Shultz Creek off of Shultz Road. My guess is that it is free and legal and reservations are not needed, but I am not sure. PM Epicrider for an answer.
    I AM JUST A JERK

Ouch, I am hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    If you haven't ridden the Red Rock country of Sedona, and you are comming all this way, then you must ride there. Not far from Flag. Ask anybody with a bike when you arrive. Stop in a one the LBS's in Sedona for trail suggestions suited to your level. It's gonna be hot, ride early.
    In Sedona, it will be very hot, with lots of heat radiating off the rocks. Canadians be careful in Sedona this time of year. I am no expert on Sedona, so others in the know should chime in now, but my guess is that during late August Sedona should be avoided or riding should stop by 10:00 a.m. Canadians, just be careful.
    I AM JUST A JERK