mtbr member

Can we talk tail etiquette for a second?

If you and ten of your buddies(and some unleashed dogs) are riding and want to take a break and leave your bikes and dogs in the middle of trail, that's fine. Whatever. However, there's a lot better places to do it then on a blind curve of a downhill section of trail. Please tell me I'm not the only one who thinks this is a breach of etiquette.

For the record, nothing happened, but if I was really going fast, might not have been good.

Click Click Click
    Agreed, that is bad form... I would probably have just said something like "You guys may want to move your bikes off the trail..." If they were in a blind corner, then I probably would have been going slow enough because I would have been watching for hikers / rocks / etc, so it would not have been much different. I have ridden in groups a lot, and it is easy to get caught up in the group and not realize you are on the trail. Usually someone in the group will notice and say, hey here comes a rider, we should get off the trail.

This was probably an isolated incident and I would not worry about it.
    "You either want to or you don't."

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Even if you are drunk on whiskey and she is "off leash" don't try to tap your buddies wife/girlfriend, that is very bad tail etiquette.

Ahhh the pain....
    yeah, in general, bad form for sure. But heck, we're all probably guilty of a few of those simply because we weren't thinking. If they were apologetic then no harm done.
    But....speaking of trail etiquette, I was traveling east on T100, about a 1/2 mile west of cave creek on Wednesday, and some woman on a horse starts having a fit as I approach her. She's waving her arms, yelling at me from about 50 yards away. So I stop, move off the trail and let her by. I know it's a multi-use trail, but I just don't get taking a very nervous horse on T100 then being shocked when bikes show up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Well you just can't fix stupid I suppose. Parking in the middle of a blind corner on a speedy descent is not so smart, it's like hanging out in the middle of a ski slope on your bum with your back turned to the uphill traffic or even worse, hanging out under a blind roll over or jump. The lack of spacial awareness out there can be unbelievable.

Check out these kids at Snowbowl.

EDR

Re: Can we talk tail etiquette for a second?

Hopefully an isolated incident. I've been guilty of it by sheer mistake.

We once stopped on a section of Porcupine because one of us had a bike issue. It was pretty wide open jeep track but in a very fast and ledgy/jumpy area. Before we even realized how we were impeding the flow a biker came hauling ass down. He got spooked because he didn't expect to see anyone there and he crashed kinda hard. I felt like a tool and was very apologetic.

Of the one hundred times I've been cognizant to get off trail when stopped all it takes is one quick lapse to look like you don't care. I wouldn't worry about it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    She's waving her arms, yelling at me from about 50 yards away. So I stop, move off the trail and let her by. I know it's a multi-use trail, but I just don't get taking a very nervous horse on T100 then being shocked when bikes show up.
    That shit don't work, I just laugh, 'cuz it gives 'em a hint not to step in my path.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    +1 for the obscure NWA lyric.

livin' the dream......
    yeah, in general, bad form for sure. But heck, we're all probably guilty of a few of those simply because we weren't thinking. If they were apologetic then no harm done.
    But....speaking of trail etiquette, I was traveling east on T100, about a 1/2 mile west of cave creek on Wednesday, and some woman on a horse starts having a fit as I approach her. She's waving her arms, yelling at me from about 50 yards away. So I stop, move off the trail and let her by. I know it's a multi-use trail, but I just don't get taking a very nervous horse on T100 then being shocked when bikes show up.
    The horse was probably scared of your gold chains and gansta rap blasting from your headphones. I think they can sense 'angry single speeders' too..
    Less f*cks to give every passing day, use them well. - geraldooka

Ahhh the pain....
    Quote Originally Posted by tjkm View Post
    The horse was probably scared of your gold chains and gansta rap blasting from your headphones. I think they can sense 'angry single speeders' too..
    Good point, perhaps the blue chucks, and bottle of colt 45 was a giveaway.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    This thread has potential for gold. Horses, 40's, dogs off leash, NWA lyrics, and proper tail etiquette? Are you kidding me? All this needs is some ridiculous German disco music. Here ya go.......perfect.

Ahhh the pain....
    damn, I've gotta get me a kit like that dude in the green cumberbun...that would definitely amp up my trail anger!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    damn, I've gotta get me a kit like that dude in the green cumberbun...that would definitely amp up my trail anger!
    Oh yes. If you amp it up and kill it like Dschinghis Khan you will be unstoppable!!!

WHOO........HA........WHOO.........HA!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I've been guilty of stopping too close or in the trail before when not thinking, but you would think such a large group of people would know better. I've come to the conclusion that about 10% of the population is totally clueless and they don't even have the skills necessary to handle everyday life, unfortunately some of these people are mountan bikers.

Now about trail etiquitte, I was out at Usery MTP for the Rocky Mountain demo day, when I ran into about 35 horses with a bunch of beginner riders at least thats what it seemed. So after about 1/2 mile at less than walking speed where I couldn't pass or do anything, I start getting about 30 ft from the rear horse and it started to buck and get all nervous, so the rider turned around and yelled at me. "don't ever sneek up on a horse" I said sneek up, I've been stuck here for the last 10 minutes and there's no way to get around. Her reply was "this is a multiuse trail and you will just have to wait". So at that I throw the bike on my back and hike into the cacti and had to walk about a 1/3 mile in cycling shoes just to get arround these idiots. When I'm finally passed, the lead rider yells "these are multiuse trails and you need to be more considerate..." That's the final straw and I lost it and flipped him a hand signal and blasted them about "being more considerate".

Don't know what group this was, but can't imagine why people would think it's OK to have a group of 35 horses in a row on a single track trail where there is no way around them for over a mile on a busy weekend...
    Last edited by john.wilkinson@datacon.at; 03-17-2014 at 10:46 AM.
    26FS & 29Rigid... best of both worlds

Meatbomb
    Horses have rights to use the trails too.

Got a suspension fork
    Clearly she doesn't know that T100 is your personal property.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Yep, we are not meant to live like rats in cages. Living in populated areas puts most of us on a competitive edge.

parenting for gnarness
    I ran into this riding Brown's Ranch during the McDs AES race. I don't give them 50 yards no matter how pissy they get . I pull over about 5 yards away like normal competent in-control people sharing a multiuse trail. If they are going slow, I will ask from a few yards back if I can pass. If they wont let me pass and won't work with me in a shared effort, I ride around, and eff them if it freaks out their horse - they shouldnt be on it and it shouldnt be on a multiuse trail if it gets scared when things come up behind it. I have yet to meet a horseperson I've liked for whom this has been problematic. I look at this like how I look at riding and hiking with kids - my kids being nervous or incompetent is not another trail user's burden, but we do still have to work together to share the trail. I expect to make my kids get out of the way constantly, to be yieldy for just about everyone, but i expect people to communicate and give my kids a little time to react.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    Yep, we are not meant to live like rats in cages. Living in populated areas puts most of us on a competitive edge.
    Huh?
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Give it a crank
    Good tail etiquette is yoga pants on the trails. Why is everyone talking about trail etiquette? The title says "tail", lets see some tail etiquette, please.

Big B's Trails
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn-Rider View Post
    Good tail etiquette is yoga pants on the trails. Why is everyone talking about trail etiquette? The title says "tail", lets see some tail etiquette, please.
    especially LuLuLemon ones
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YBRUhGnXj4
    I dig dirt!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by randyharris View Post
    Clearly she doesn't know that T100 is your personal property.
    Speaking of angry single speeders...
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

Eroding into the trail
    This thread has potential for gold. Horses, 40's, dogs off leash, NWA lyrics, and proper tail etiquette? Are you kidding me? All this needs is some ridiculous German disco music. Here ya go.......perfect.

I am truly ashamed that I actually watched this entire video, but it WAS hilarious!
    It makes me question where you obtained it and more importantly why you have this video!
    Strange fascination w/German Disco? or maybe just the costumes for future use to scare the
    bejesus out of the poor horses (and maybe tourists)? The dancers hat might make a unique helmet though!

Agreed that horses shouldn't be out on the trail unless accustomed to a multi-use environment and
    the inherent distractions. Proper training and acclimatization are a necessity!
    Equestrians (some) can frequently blow things far out of proportion due to their concerns for personal
    safety and that of their steed, but that being said, how many riders does one see wearing a riding helmet? gloves?
    Horses can often move off the trail far more easily than cyclists! (yes, I am an experienced equestrian).
    As much as I hate ringy dingy bells on a bike, they do alert horses & riders of approaching traffic on the trail.
    I think that horses should move over for cyclists, after-all, they do have "4 wheel drive"! Allright,
    they have hooves, but you know what I mean!
    I have never had a flat hoof on my horse from off road use!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn-Rider View Post
    Not sure if this is appropriate "tail" etiquette or not... but me likes it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Can we talk tail etiquette for a second?-imb-ad..jpg  

Big B's Trails
    ^^^whale tail^^^
    I dig dirt!

Give it a crank
    Bike-related, nice one!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DustyBones View Post
    I am truly ashamed that I actually watched this entire video, but it WAS hilarious!
    It makes me question where you obtained it and more importantly why you have this video!
    Strange fascination w/German Disco? or maybe just the costumes for future use to scare the
    bejesus out of the poor horses (and maybe tourists)? The dancers hat might make a unique helmet though!

Agreed that horses shouldn't be out on the trail unless accustomed to a multi-use environment and
    the inherent distractions. Proper training and acclimatization are a necessity!
    Equestrians (some) can frequently blow things far out of proportion due to their concerns for personal
    safety and that of their steed, but that being said, how many riders does one see wearing a riding helmet? gloves?
    Horses can often move off the trail far more easily than cyclists! (yes, I am an experienced equestrian).
    As much as I hate ringy dingy bells on a bike, they do alert horses & riders of approaching traffic on the trail.
    I think that horses should move over for cyclists, after-all, they do have "4 wheel drive"! Allright,
    they have hooves, but you know what I mean!
    I have never had a flat hoof on my horse from off road use!!!
    HA! I worked with this German guy a few years ago and he pulled it up, I couldn't peel my eyes away from it! I was laughing my butt off and I couldn't believe that it was real. Whenever I need a laugh I find my self rocking out to some Dschinghis Khan.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by quelocotony View Post
    Not sure if this is appropriate "tail" etiquette or not... but me likes it.
    That would be my test of choice for checking stem/handlebar integrity.

Captain Calico Jack
    Quote Originally Posted by john.wilkinson@datacon.at View Post
    I've been guilty of stopping too close or in the trail before when not thinking, but you would think such a large group of people would know better. I've come to the conclusion that about 10% of the population is totally clueless and they don't even have the skills necessary to handle everyday life, unfortunately some of these people are mountan bikers.

Now about trail etiquitte, I was out at Usery MTP for the Rocky Mountain demo day, when I ran into about 35 horses with a bunch of beginner riders at least thats what it seemed. So after about 1/2 mile at less than walking speed where I couldn't pass or do anything, I start getting about 30 ft from the rear horse and it started to buck and get all nervous, so the rider turned around and yelled at me. "don't ever sneek up on a horse" I said sneek up, I've been stuck here for the last 10 minutes and there's no way to get around. Her reply was "this is a multiuse trail and you will just have to wait". So at that I throw the bike on my back and hike into the cacti and had to walk about a 1/3 mile in cycling shoes just to get arround these idiots. When I'm finally passed, the lead rider yells "these are multiuse trails and you need to be more considerate..." That's the final straw and I lost it and flipped him a hand signal and blasted them about "being more considerate".

Don't know what group this was, but can't imagine why people would think it's OK to have a group of 35 horses in a row on a single track trail where there is no way around them for over a mile on a busy weekend...
    Perfect this is what I love. I have said it before and will say it again, I am yearning for that day when a horse gets just squirelly enough to merit pulling out the burner and putting it down on the trail. Could you imagine the story in the Arizona Repugnant? Seriously though until they mandate horses must wear **** catch bags while on trails i will not yield to them. If my dog takes a crap in a city park its like a $300 fine, but nooooooooooo this 1 ton animal can back a dump truck up and drop its load in the middle of the trail for multi use users and no biggie. Yup nonsense.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Tha Dawg Catcher View Post
    Perfect this is what I love. I have said it before and will say it again, I am yearning for that day when a horse gets just squirelly enough to merit pulling out the burner and putting it down on the trail. Could you imagine the story in the Arizona Repugnant? Seriously though until they mandate horses must wear **** catch bags while on trails i will not yield to them. If my dog takes a crap in a city park its like a $300 fine, but nooooooooooo this 1 ton animal can back a dump truck up and drop its load in the middle of the trail for multi use users and no biggie. Yup nonsense.
    Make sure to yell "Stick 'em up!" and let two fly.

mtbr member
    Trail etiquette has nothing to do with what you are using on the trail. There are a-holes amongst all different groups of trail users. I'm just thankful for multi use trails. How much would it suck if certain ones were closed off for specific users only? I say a lot. Bikers complaining that the good trails are taken by the hikers and horses. No one group deserves to use the trail more than the other. I'll deal with the 1% of crap to enjoy the other 99% of riding.

But yeah, lingering in the middle of the trail by any group is a bit inconsiderate.
    “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen

EDR

Re: Can we talk tail etiquette for a second?

. If my dog takes a crap in a city park its like a $300 fine, but nooooooooooo this 1 ton animal can back a dump truck up and drop its load in the middle of the trail for multi use users and no biggie. Yup nonsense.
    Pretty sure your dog can crap on the trail without getting a fine, and in turn pretty sure if a horse takes a dump in a city park the owner is looking at a citation.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tysonnemb View Post
    Trail etiquette has nothing to do with what you are using on the trail. There are a-holes amongst all different groups of trail users. I'm just thankful for multi use trails. How much would it suck if certain ones were closed off for specific users only? I say a lot. Bikers complaining that the good trails are taken by the hikers and horses. No one group deserves to use the trail more than the other. I'll deal with the 1% of crap to enjoy the other 99% of riding.

But yeah, lingering in the middle of the trail by any group is a bit inconsiderate.
    I would happily give up access to some hiker type trails that are terrible for biking to have some bike specific type trails that are closed to horses. This is actually the direction that most systems are starting to take, not all of the systems but some on some trails it makes complete sense. I get pretty bored after while riding on the standard multi use kind of trail.

parenting for gnarness
    I would happily give up access to some hiker type trails that are terrible for biking to have some bike specific type trails that are closed to horses. This is actually the direction that most systems are starting to take, not all of the systems but some on some trails it makes complete sense. I get pretty bored after while riding on the standard multi use kind of trail.
    i would like to see the greenbelt closed to other users. Its hard to commute to work in a timely manner with all these kids, dogs, baby joggers and seniors out enjoying the weather. They should stay on the sidewalk where they belong. They don't pay MUP taxes. They are just asking to get hit out there with the bigger, faster vehicles.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

Ouch, I am hot!
    There is too much whining and "high horse" attitude in this post and many other posts in this thread. I've been riding locally for years and 99.9% of the time there is nothing truly legitimate to complain about. This city has so much going for it on the mountain bike front. HTFU, or alternatively, try complaining about the weather if you need to get it out of your system.
    I AM JUST A JERK

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir View Post
    There is too much whining and "high horse" attitude in this post and many other posts in this thread. I've been riding locally for years and 99.9% of the time there is nothing truly legitimate to complain about. This city has so much going for it on the mountain bike front. HTFU, or alternatively, try complaining about the weather if you need to get it out of your system.
    I don't have a problem with horses either. Once tho I had some poop come flying up off my tire and into my mouth! That was nasty but that was once in almost 30 years of mt biking.
    Last edited by raisingarizona; 03-19-2014 at 06:12 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I don't have a problem with horses either. Once tho I had some come flying up off my tire and into my mouth! That was nasty but that was once in almost 30 years of mt biking.
    You had some come fly into your mouth? Sux bro!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr View Post
    Make sure to yell "Stick 'em up!" and let two fly.
    +1 for the Paul Revere Beastie Boys quote.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr View Post
    You had some come fly into your mouth? Sux bro!
    Well yeah, doesn't everyone shoot for the mouth when solo sending?

Alive and Lurkin'
    Can we keep our focus here people? Paris tail etiquette! What with all the horsin' around?!?

Pumpin & Pimpin

Captain Calico Jack
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir View Post
    yup hee haw hi ho silver you my friend have just joined the equestrian list, matter of fact im not yielding to you on the trail either, ill bend your rims on the trail if i see you. hahahah.