mtbr member

Can anyone weld some aluminum for me?

I need a little weld/material added on to my giant reign frame. To be specific the rear triangle where the derailleur hanger attaches, approximately a cubic 1/4" of weld material is what i need added. I know this weakens the frame etc.... But i need this done. You will NOT be responsible if what you welded breaks and i happen to injure myself. We can write it on paper if you want. Can someone please help me out? I need this done before Tuesday night.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wantadhbike
    I need a little weld/material added on to my giant reign frame. To be specific the rear triangle where the derailleur hanger attaches, approximately a cubic 1/4" of weld material is what i need added. I know this weakens the frame etc.... But i need this done. You will NOT be responsible if what you welded breaks and i happen to injure myself. We can write it on paper if you want. Can someone please help me out? I need this done before Tuesday night.
    Show us a picture.

mtbr member
    Basically the derailleur hanger rotated and tore 1/8" of aluminum and i dremeled off the torn part and just need someone to weld in material.

And im located in Phoenix but i will drive to anyone's place that can help me out

Pics-
    Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

banned
    Basically the derailleur hanger rotated and tore 1/8" of aluminum and i dremeled off the torn part and just need someone to weld in material.

And im located in Phoenix but i will drive to anyone's place that can help me out

Pics-
    Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
    Show us a picure with a new hanger screwed into place. If you can't get it welded by Tuesday what happens? If you had to, would you consider using a bonding material like JB Weld to help hold the hanger in place?

TD

Shifted
    Feb 2009
    I would have let the welder decide what material he was going to cut off.

Pretty hard to build up a AL tig weld that big. I'm sure a skilled guy can get something to work but you'll have to machine that area out afterwards.

Just a suggestion:
    Would be easiest to take the frame to the welder, have him heat up both the frame, with the new hanger in place and throw a few tact welds connecting hanger to frame in that broken area. Obviously you will have to cut it off the next time and repeat.
    back at it
    2014 Trek Stache 7.

mtbr member
    Try throwing a new hanger on there as is. I am betting it will still work fine.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

Eroding into the trail

I always keep these around

I have no connection to these shops/individuals,, but the info is always valuable to those who are in need. Hope this helps you out.
    ----------------------------

Bike frame repair - (north central phoenix)
    Broken or cracked bike frame? I can weld your bicycle frame to like new. 30 years metal repair
    and fabrication experience. No job to small. Bring the job to me or I can come to you.
    I use TIG process for aluminum and gas brazing for non-aluminum repairs.
    All types of metal repair and fabrication. General welding, all metals, all processes.
    Call Tony
    602-920-3784
    ----------------------------
    AMERICAN MOTORSPORTS LLC
    WE WILL FIX YOUR BROKEN FRAME! - Typically for under $75 !!!!
    A small, dedicated fabrication and welding shop with the time to fix your bike today!
    With ten years in the off-road racing industry we have the skills you trust!
    We fix and repair:
    STEEL FRAMES
    ALUMINUM FRAMES
    BROKEN SHIFT SHAFTS
    TABS , RACKS , ARMS , AXLES , AND MORE!
    We also fix cracked frames for Cars , Trucks , SUV's , Sandrails , 4X4, Build Roll Cages and more!
    We also build and repair Sandrails and other race vehicles.
    CALL 623-236-3628 TODAY!!!
    Open M-F 9-5 Sat. 10-3 and by appointment anytime
    21630 N. 9TH AVE. SUITE 108 PHX 85027
    ------------------------------------
    Futureweld
    (602) 437-2426
    Phoenix

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info guys,

Traildoc: I plan on taking a biking trip to sedona on the 17-18 with my friend and i need to rebuild my fork, bleed my back brakes and then take it to my lbs after it gets welded to have them adjust my new derailleur all before the 17th.

I've considered stuff like JB weld, I actually have some high strength epoxy at work that might just work temporarily. Last thing id want to do but i will if i have to.

DustyBones: Thanks for the numbers I called tony up yesterday, but hes not sure if he can do it before Tuesday. I'll give the other ones a call though.

Photobucket

Photobucket
    Last edited by wantadhbike; 05-07-2011 at 04:45 AM.

Eroding into the trail
    That should be no problem to lay a few beads on that area to build it up.
    The area will, however require hand-finishing to re-establish the proper contours.
    Doesn't look like that big of a deal to repair, especially now that you uploaded pics w/the dérailleur hanger in place to provide a reference to the damaged area and the hanger.

Sh*t happens & repairs are required!
    Hope it all works out for ya.

banned
    Sep 2007
    Worst Case, take it to your favorite Giant Dealership. they can probably get a rear triangle for you, for little if any charge, since Giants have lifetime warrantys.

I know JeffJ's son lost a rear bolt to his rear triangle and broke the rear triangle a short time later. Within a week or two, he had a new rear triangle, no charge. YMMV, depending on how much business you've given your local Giant dealer and how well he knows you.

banned
    Seems to me like all the force on the hanger is forward until you hit a big rock then you might snape the new hanger a little easier. I personally wouldn't worry about it, if you don't get it fixed before the 17th. Have you already tried riding it with the new hanger?

Do you need instruction on how to adjust your derailluer, or is the alignment of the hanger off due to the crash? Put the wheel on with the new hanger and take a picture from the back of the bike (upside down) to show us if the hanger looks parrallel to the rim. Then put on the new derailluer w/o the chain and take another picture from the back looking forward.

We are trying to determine if the hanger and derailuer look parrallel (?) to the rim. If your derailluer is used (and the hanger is parrellel) and has been bent it will need some possible bending to get it into alignment. I have a park hanger alignment tool that I could use to straighten the hanger perfectly if you want to make 100% sure I am a qualified bike hanger alignment doc.

As payment for my help you can help me with some trail improvements when you are up here. There are some sections on Bell Rock Pathway that need some TLC.

TD
    Last edited by traildoc; 05-07-2011 at 09:58 AM.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the offer traildoc, but i will have to decline. There actually wasn't a crash involved, i was just pedaling up a hill and my derailleur ripped apart and caused this damage. Im guessing the derailleur had a hairline crack and it just gave away. I also ordered up a new hanger because mine was mangled. Derailleurs always give me problems, I can service nearly everything else on bike.

Good news, i got it filled in today by Tony he's a great guy and only charged me $20. Just gotta reshape it and i will be ready to ride again.

banned
    Thanks for the offer traildoc, but i will have to decline. There actually wasn't a crash involved, i was just pedaling up a hill and my derailleur ripped apart and caused this damage. Im guessing the derailleur had a hairline crack and it just gave away. I also ordered up a new hanger because mine was mangled. Derailleurs always give me problems, I can service nearly everything else on bike.

Good news, i got it filled in today by Tony he's a great guy and only charged me $20. Just gotta reshape it and i will be ready to ride again.
    Good to hear you got it almost fixed. It would be interesting to check your hanger alignment once you get it back together.

Members who have read this thread: 1