Camping in Sedona- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Camping in Sedona

I are heading to Sedona in May for a week of biking and was wondering which campgrounds are the best? Is there a spot that we can ride trail without having to drive?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Just North of town....
    Attached Images Attached Images    

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    It's expensive but the KOA in town is right there in the heart of a lot of killer rides.

Tucson, AZ
    Free camping at Beaver Flats....it's about 4 miles from Bike n Bean. Worth the drive for the free camping, spend your money on coffee at BnB and then hit up the trails. Best plan, IMHO.

Just another half mile...
    The area around Sedona is closed to camping (see Map) except for the developed campgrounds located north of town in Oak Creek Canyon. Dispersed camping is allowed outside the Sedona closed zone, and AZepic gave one good location off of Beaver Flat Road south of the Village of Oak Creek. There is also free camping off of Red Canyon Road west of town on SR 89a. (See Map), which is a good location if you want to ride the more XC type trails in the Cockcomb/Boyton Canyon area. More info HERE
    Quote Originally Posted by azepicriderandrunner
    Free camping at Beaver Flats....it's about 4 miles from Bike n Bean. Worth the drive for the free camping, spend your money on coffee at BnB and then hit up the trails. Best plan, IMHO.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Camping in Sedona-red-rock-big-map.jpg  

Last edited by Epicrider; 01-27-2011 at 11:36 AM.

EDR
    I'm no Sedona camping expert, in fact in hindsight the one time we pitched a tent around there I don't think it was even legal...looking at the map above. But I think you can camp up Schnebly Hill rd if you go far enough. That would put you just a few miles from HO/Damifino/Munds and stuff. Maybe not ideal but Sedona camping is sparse.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    I'm no Sedona camping expert, in fact in hindsight the one time we pitched a tent around there I don't think it was even legal...looking at the map above. But I think you can camp up Schnebly Hill rd if you go far enough. That would put you just a few miles from HO/Damifino/Munds and stuff. Maybe not ideal but Sedona camping is sparse.
    Yep. Once you go to the top of the rim on Schnebly, you can camp and for free. There is a sign letting you know.

Lone Wolf McQuade
    Subscribed

Matt
    I should be out riding....

mtbr member
    Any updates to this 4 year old thread? Looking to take a trip next week...would love something I can do at least one ride out of.

mtbr member
    You can camp on top of Schnebly. Ride Munds/Merry Go Round/Cow Pie/Hangover... Then climb the road back up. But that's about it. And the road is not a fun drive.

Forest Road 525 is very close to all the XC type stuff out west.

Beaver Flat is Closer to High Line/Hogs trails.

Camping up Oak Creek is pretty and fills fast from what I have read. Make reservations if possible.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin MD View Post
    You can camp on top of Schnebly. Ride Munds/Merry Go Round/Cow Pie/Hangover... Then climb the road back up. But that's about it. And the road is not a fun drive.
    I attempted to drive up Schnebly Hill Road last week but gave up before I got to the first turn. Definitely need high clearance. Even the tour jeeps were taking it slow and easy.

The USFS campgrounds in Oak Creek Canyon have had FULL signs out every day the past two weeks. Reserve or arrive early.

-db-

mtbr member
    I just camped off of FR 525 on the west side. It was nice and the forest road was easy in my rental Nissan versa .

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Hey agleck7. Gonna ride Sedona for 1st time since mid 90s next week.
    As per usual, I'm on the cheap car camping. Have an AM setup but I'm an experienced wuss especially on unknown single track. Looking to start with some intermediate XC. Which trails did you ride?

It's just me and my pooch...FR 525 sounds safe and not too remote. Most locals are cool but I've had some close calls (i.e., White Mtns) with Mtn youth partying too hard/ territorial off-the-gridders hating on "Valley people". Heard Sedona in past decade has become super touristy so sounds inviting. Any problems with camping?

mtbr member
    I think it could be a local party spot, but it was really quiet when I was there. I don't see sedona having too ornery of locals anyway

Trails- my advice just go to a shop (over the edge is where I went) and get a map and tons of trail info. It was my first time in sedona and they gave me good advice. All the trails are well signed too.

Also, $3 swim/shower at the community pool. Byo towel and soap.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Cool. Thx for the extra info. I'll check it out

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    This is good info y'all. Thanks. I'll be there 5/19-5/23 after Overland Expo for some riding (road and mtb). I'll be bumming it in the camper van. Give me a shout if anyone wants to hook up for some rides. I'm a mellow, no drama older fart who can ride whatever anyone wants and pedal as far as needed. Cocktails waiting back at the van.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kccourtney View Post
    This is good info y'all. Thanks. I'll be there 5/19-5/23 after Overland Expo for some riding (road and mtb). I'll be bumming it in the camper van. Give me a shout if anyone wants to hook up for some rides. I'm a mellow, no drama older fart who can ride whatever anyone wants and pedal as far as needed. Cocktails waiting back at the van.
    I sent you a PM with some info. AZ trail is right near the Expo.

My other ride is your mom
    Camp spot on top of Schnebly is epic and awesome!!!

Camping in Sedona-23_resting.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I spent a night in my car at the Fay Canyon trail head parking lot. The parking lots that require a fee have signs that say day use only, but this one is free and does not have any signs suggesting you can't be there over night. It worked out well, quite scenic and a short ride over to the Boynton Canyon trail head bathrooms. Plus, quick access to the Aerie trail and a bunch of great ride options!

Members who have read this thread: 2