Camping/Riding Sedona- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Camping/Riding Sedona

I am looking for a camping site that ties into a trail or that has a short ride to a trail head. I am not to familiar with Sedona. I am taking a Newbie with me and I could use a camping spot that ties into a nice C-ride.

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by scanjok
    I am looking for a camping site that ties into a trail or that has a short ride to a trail head. I am not to familiar with Sedona. I am taking a Newbie with me and I could use a camping spot that ties into a nice C-ride.
    Ain't going to happen. Camping inside Sedona or Oak Creek is nearly nonexistent. Hotel it or camp farther away and drive to the trails (don't forget to pick up your park pass). If you search thru Spring Fling posts from this year, there was discussion about camping near Sedona that you might find useful.

Saucy Size
    There's some really nice camping up on the rim above Oak Creek Canyon (drive in from I-17) but it's nowhere near any riding. I've never checked the forest above Schnebly Hill Road but there might be some backcountry camping areas up there. That'd put you near the top of Munds Wagon Trail, which is not a C-ride (it's a solid B).

p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

just 1 more
    There's a campground out at Wet Beaver Creek, get off the 17 at the 179 (Sedona) exit and go right instead of left. There's one easy trail that goes a couple of miles upstream to a wilderness border. And it's a short distance to the VOC from there.
    bikes, guns, dogs....perfect

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    Ain't going to happen. Camping inside Sedona or Oak Creek is nearly nonexistent.
    Ahh, that stinks. I wish it was warmer in Flag, I like the camping and trail access there.

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by azjeff
    There's a campground out at Wet Beaver Creek, get off the 17 at the 179 (Sedona) exit and go right instead of left. There's one easy trail that goes a couple of miles upstream to a wilderness border. And it's a short distance to the VOC from there.
    +1 We usually take the 2nd left off of Wet Beaver Creel.

sonoranbiker
    Dec 2006
    One of my all-time favorite campsites is at the top of Schnebly Hill Road. After you get up on the Mogollon Rim, take one of the next right turns (might be Rd. 152a). You need high clearance and I haven't driven it in years, but I've gotten a 15-passenger van in there, so how gnarly can it be? A little exploration and finding the right fork will put you about 20 feet off the rim looking out over Schnebly Hill Rd..

I'm not familiar with the riding in Sedona, but that site is worth it regardless of how close it is to riding. If you don't have high clearance, there is plenty of other backcountry camping up on the rim past the turn-off I mentioned. Wet Beaver Creek is also great, go for a swim while you're there.

Occidental Tourist
    You can head West of town and camp off of one of the forest roads not too far from some of the Cockscomb area trails.
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by YuriB
    You can head West of town and camp off of one of the forest roads not too far from some of the Cockscomb area trails.
    Between the D2D and the Sedona BFL, Dave and I tried to sleep up on Jordan Rd trailhead only to be kicked out by a real nice cop, who said that the city limits end at the Jim Thompson bridge. Soooo, we slept on the other side of the bridge under the little ramada there.

If you just want to throw down a thermarest, the JT bridge is another option.

Quote Originally Posted by azepicriderandrunner

If you just want to throw down a thermarest, the JT bridge is another option.
    Not necessarily the best one, tho. As if I needed less sleep that night...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Oak Creek free camping

About 10 miles west of Sedona you can drive about 2 miles down a dirt road road to camping off 89a. It's right next to the creek. Not a organized site but one used for years, no bathroom.
    agmtb

Members who have read this thread: 0