mtbr member

Camping with the family

Wife wants to do some camping this summer. Where's a good place to camp that has a good trail within riding distance of the campgrounds. I like camping but would love it even more if I can sneak out for a ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Lake Mormon. There's a campsite at the base of the Mormon Trail, which links up with the AZ Trail. It's popular and not to far from town, plus there's bathrooms. It's not "roughing" it, but it's perfect for family camping with trail access.

mtbr member
    May 2010

Wmys

Quote Originally Posted by sjreeves717
    Wife wants to do some camping this summer. Where's a good place to camp that has a good trail within riding distance of the campgrounds. I like camping but would love it even more if I can sneak out for a ride.

In the Pinetop/Lakeside area, Los Burros....good camping...and the Los Burros trail is right there. You could also consider Fool Hollow campground in Show Low...more extensive facilities, and easy driving distance to the White Mountains Trail System

www.tracks-pinetop-lakeside.org for all the WMTS trails.

EDR
    Flag - Mt. Elden. Lot's of open camping up top of Shultz Creek rd with fires allowed. Great trails right from the campsite. 20 minutes down to Flag for dining/drinks.

Pinetop - hundreds of miles of trails - see TRACKS or WMTS. Los Burros would be a good spot and is a kick-arse trail that can be linked up with others.

Payson/Rim-Woods Canyon Lake area. TH260 is half way down the rim. You can drop off a car there and ride up Military Sink Hole, take the Rim trails a few miles and come down Drew Canyon (?) to Christopher Creek or back to the TH. Not sure of other options in that area.

Flag and Pinetop would be my choices for ride convenience and camping combined.

pedaller
    Prescott - Granite Basin
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

mtbr member
    Sweet, lots of options. Thanks everyone.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I think I am going to hit up los burros in the next few weeks. The website said they only have 5 campsites there. Is it usually full?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    there are other places to camp in the area but they are not "Campgrounds" per say. it is getting to be that time of year,you would want to check on fire restrictions. my family likes to stay away from camp grounds unless we are doing a big group thing. holiday weekends camping is big up here, lots of people in the woods. you can always find places in non camp grounds though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    summer = north

I have camped all over the world and still one of the best trips I ever had was at sedona.
    and the lurker returns to the dark corner

EDR
    Los Burros has been crowded with horsie folks every time I've been there on a summer weekend. It's a great place to chill for a night and ride but hardly a fantastic 'campground' imo. There is no creek/lake that I know of and it's loved by the equestrians. Not much to do besides Los Burros trail itself and chill out/cook/drink. IMO a night or two is all I'd want to do there. So much more to do in the Tonto Creek area, but no great riding that I know of aside from Military Sink Hole/rim area.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I camped up on the rim maybe 5 miles east of Woods Canyon Lake and rode the Carr Lake Trail system. Nice to be able to camp wherever and be close to some trails.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    Los Burros has been crowded with horsie folks every time I've been there on a summer weekend. It's a great place to chill for a night and ride but hardly a fantastic 'campground' imo. There is no creek/lake that I know of and it's loved by the equestrians. Not much to do besides Los Burros trail itself and chill out/cook/drink. IMO a night or two is all I'd want to do there. So much more to do in the Tonto Creek area, but no great riding that I know of aside from Military Sink Hole/rim area.

Hmm.. yeah i did some more research on it and it looked kinda boring. I think I'm gonna hit up christopher creek campground since the girlfriend wants a place where there is water so the dogs can get crazy. Anyone ever camp out there? How are the trails? I'm a noob so I really don't wanna kill myself on some technical downhill or anything.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by CancelOnMe
    Hmm.. yeah i did some more research on it and it looked kinda boring. I think I'm gonna hit up christopher creek campground since the girlfriend wants a place where there is water so the dogs can get crazy. Anyone ever camp out there? How are the trails? I'm a noob so I really don't wanna kill myself on some technical downhill or anything.
    We used to camp at CC a lot when I was a kid. There is fishing and hiking to Box Canyon is fun. I went back last year and it was a nightmare. We picked up in the middle of the night and left. It was a complete drunk-fest of about 20 people. Pucking everywhere and being waaay obnoxious. CC is a big site and the weekend crowd seems to be roudy, ymmv. Plus you can clearly here the highway noise. That bothered me, maybe not you.

Just a few miles before CC is a left hand turn. The sign says Tonto Fish Hatchery. 1 mile up the road is Upper Tonto Creek campground. It's awesome but you'll be unlikely to find a spot if you don't get there before a Friday. It only has 9 sites, has a bathroom and water. You can hike the Horton Creek trail for miles and it's absolutely beautiful, especially when you drop into the creek and hike through that. Mini waterfalls and clear water abound. The campground is at the junction of the Tonto and Horton creeks. Just up the road a few miles is the hatchery. If you go past the campsite a mile or so there is a forest road turn-off to the left. Lot's of free camping down that way. If you get there before the monsoons you'll need to hike a mile or so up Horton before the water runs above ground....and there are often fire restrictions but they are lifted when the rains come.

If you go to that area you gotta go make your way down Box Canyon. You have to swim/jump from hole to hole. It's a lot of fun and only about a 1/2 mile hike from the highway. I can pm a gpx file for that hike, if I still have it.

Box Canyon sits down between 180ft sheer pink quartzite walls. You can spend 1 to 4 hours down there depending on if you choose to canyon-eer (?) or not. Did I mention I recommend it?

mtbr member
    Don't know where you're coming from, but try out the rainbow rim trail up on the north rim of the Grand Canyon. Camp out on the forest six feet from the trail at any of several points. Camp at a middle one and do an eastbound out and back on one day, and a westbound out and back the next. The views are fantastic, some hiking to be had if you want to take the family out, and... most importantly, some excellent solitude and escape from any kind of hustle and bustle.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    We used to camp at CC a lot when I was a kid. There is fishing and hiking to Box Canyon is fun. I went back last year and it was a nightmare. We picked up in the middle of the night and left. It was a complete drunk-fest of about 20 people. Pucking everywhere and being waaay obnoxious. CC is a big site and the weekend crowd seems to be roudy, ymmv. Plus you can clearly here the highway noise. That bothered me, maybe not you.

Just a few miles before CC is a left hand turn. The sign says Tonto Fish Hatchery. 1 mile up the road is Upper Tonto Creek campground. It's awesome but you'll be unlikely to find a spot if you don't get there before a Friday. It only has 9 sites, has a bathroom and water. You can hike the Horton Creek trail for miles and it's absolutely beautiful, especially when you drop into the creek and hike through that. Mini waterfalls and clear water abound. The campground is at the junction of the Tonto and Horton creeks. Just up the road a few miles is the hatchery. If you go past the campsite a mile or so there is a forest road turn-off to the left. Lot's of free camping down that way. If you get there before the monsoons you'll need to hike a mile or so up Horton before the water runs above ground....and there are often fire restrictions but they are lifted when the rains come.

If you go to that area you gotta go make your way down Box Canyon. You have to swim/jump from hole to hole. It's a lot of fun and only about a 1/2 mile hike from the highway. I can pm a gpx file for that hike, if I still have it.

Box Canyon sits down between 180ft sheer pink quartzite walls. You can spend 1 to 4 hours down there depending on if you choose to canyon-eer (?) or not. Did I mention I recommend it?
    Thanks for the info! I dont mind the crazy drunk people.. As long as they are cool people I will probably be drinking with them. How are the mountain bike trails out there?

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by CancelOnMe
    Thanks for the info! I dont mind the crazy drunk people.. As long as they are cool people I will probably be drinking with them. How are the mountain bike trails out there?
    The only trails that I know of I mentioned before. TH260 half way up the rim, it's on the left of the highway when heading up. It's a grunt up Military Sink Hole. If you are looking for family rides you can take your bike up to the rim road trail (top of Rim, turn at Forest Lakes rd). You can ride the paved bike path skirting the Rim for nice views and/or bike all through the Woods Canyon Lake area. Lots and lots of paid camp spots up there......... A TON!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    The only trails that I know of I mentioned before. TH260 half way up the rim, it's on the left of the highway when heading up. It's a grunt up Military Sink Hole. If you are looking for family rides you can take your bike up to the rim road trail (top of Rim, turn at Forest Lakes rd). You can ride the paved bike path skirting the Rim for nice views and/or bike all through the Woods Canyon Lake area. Lots and lots of paid camp spots up there......... A TON!

ok cool thanks for the info! I just saw that you said they where hiking trails so I didn't know if they where multi-use.

Members who have read this thread: 0