mtbr member

Calling North East Experts:Go John Trail to McDowell Comp Loops...

Anyone know if a ride on trails would be possible from Go John Trail to McDowell Comp Loops?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ssamplin
    Anyone know if a ride on trails would be possible from Go John Trail to McDowell Comp Loops?
    I'm not sure but there seems to be lots of houses and pavement in your way! Perhaps once in Cave creek you would head east towards seven springs then south towards Bartlett and that might get you near fountain hills I don't know whats beteween Bartlett and Fountain Hills though.

Sorry, this probably wasn't much help.....

Tiff

mtbr member
    Don't be sorry thanks for reply. Are the trails east towards seven springs then south towards Bartlett worth riding? I've only done the stuff in both parks. I have a friend who has been to most of the world class spots west of the Mississippi, coming to town to ride. Likes to ride all day long XC style. I'm trying to get some big rides ready for him in January.

AZ Biker Chick
    Nov 2006
    I would suggest - Black Canyon Trail as a longer ride in January...as I am sure half this forum would as well! There is a way to get over the McDowells but I am not sure where the access points is. From Go John you would likely have to mix some roads in. I dont think you could single track all the way.

mtbr member
    right on. ya he wants to ride 5 days, prob 20 miles at least a day and if its at least 2500 feet of climbing that's a plus!

so on my short list are:
    1.BCT
    2.SoMo
    3.Hawes(like 3 times I guess)
    4.Trail 100
    5.Cave Creek /McDowell

how's that sound to you guys?

Dad trying to keep up!
    Aug 2009
    From Go John we head north through the preserve and end up in Spur Cross Conservation Area. A round trip from Flat Tire Bike Shop in Cave Creek is about 23 miles with 3 good climbs. Show up on a Sunday morning and Kaolin will show you this route (Cave Creek Bicycle Festival course also).

If you are really wanting the adventure loop you can then go from Spur Cross to Seven Springs. Long ride and some definite rocky/hike a bike areas. From Seven Springs back on roads and trails down to Bartlett and then down the Verde River, to McDowell park. You could head west on Rio Verde (Dynamite) to 176th and get into park there and catch onto the Pemberton Trail. Haven't done it, but been at both ends and hiked 7 Springs and seems doable. Probably be close to 50 miles or more. I am sure others have ridden parts of this area.

You go first, tell us how it is
    Jeff from Cave Creek

Ahhh the pain....
    You can make a pretty big loop in the Mcdowells that will offer lots of options for brutal climbs. Do a search for Quad Bypass and also this site has maps...http://www.scottsdaleaz.gov/preserve.asp

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    All of the above are great. Also, I recomend Hawes to Pass Mtn loop (or vice versa). It is aboute 50miles with some elev. gain involved if I recall correctly (I have only done it once).

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    yeah there is no way to connect the two with out some road work.

i would shuttle up to seven springs to hook up with cave creek trail #4 and ride that into spur cross. then take the spur cross main trail to the parks west boundary and get on the maricopa trail to connect to the go john loop. then ride go john to overton to slate trail and finish in the town of cave creek. just as bike dad stated this route minus trail #4 is what we ride every sunday from the flat tire bike shop. keep in mind that trail #4 is very primitive and if something goes wrong on the trail it would be really difficult to get out and or get help!

i would love to ride with you guys in the winter so look me up when the dates get closer.....
    Increasing the peace, one bike at a time.......

mtbr member
    thanks kaolin. i'd like to join you soon on the sunday ride from the shop. what time do you roll out?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    thanks kaolin. i'd like to join you soon on the sunday ride from the shop. what time do you roll out?
    7 am from the porch....call me for info about riding on a non sunday 602-432-6023
    Increasing the peace, one bike at a time.......

Tucson, AZ
    Great thread.....I am trying to make the aforementioned connections in addition to Black Canyon Trail. Does anyone have the GPX file? Would you recommend the Barlett Lake option or Pima/Dynamite option? I am hoping to connect with Seven Springs also and would love to hear some trail conditions.

Fully loaded bike, bikepacking 2-3 day is what I had in mind. I found all the maps and info, just curious about which option would be yield better singletrack/views. Enjoy rocky, hike-a-bike climbs if it yields some scenery.

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by kaolin
    7 am from the porch....call me for info about riding on a non sunday 602-432-6023
    Just left a message with you.

sprocket

I will let you know after I piece it together this weekend.

sprocket
    Quote Originally Posted by azepicriderandrunner
    Great thread.....I am trying to make the aforementioned connections in addition to Black Canyon Trail. Does anyone have the GPX file? Would you recommend the Barlett Lake option or Pima/Dynamite option? I am hoping to connect with Seven Springs also and would love to hear some trail conditions.

Fully loaded bike, bikepacking 2-3 day is what I had in mind. I found all the maps and info, just curious about which option would be yield better singletrack/views. Enjoy rocky, hike-a-bike climbs if it yields some scenery.
    come with us this weekend.

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by yetisurly
    come with us this weekend.
    Gotta work

I am hoping to trace/connect a GPX file in the next few days, I will send it to you and Yuri.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    From the Seven Springs trailhead you can take Seven Springs Rd up to the Bartlett Lake turnoff and enter the Pima & Dynamite Trail System from the power line rd (marked as trail 1).

From there you can take the P&D trails over to the 136th exit. Get to Dynamite Rd and work your way to either the 156th or 150th Street Pemberton spurs or go to 128th St to access it via the Tom Thumb trailhead and rock knob. You can also get onto Pemberton via 138th st but that is a little harder to find.

I had this filed away from years ago and have never tried this route but it looks like it could connect the seven springs area to P&D area with less road use: http://activetectonics.asu.edu/zack/...scription.html

The first map link still works, second is broken

Tucson, AZ

This is exactly what I was looking for

sprocket
    http://www.maricopa.gov/parks/Marico...pur_cross2.pdf

this might help in connecting to BCT at New River Road.

Tucson, AZ
    http://www.maricopa.gov/parks/Marico...pur_cross2.pdf

this might help in connecting to BCT at New River Road.
    Oh, this is coming together nicely. Crossing I-17 at Anthem, the Power Line Rd to Old Mine Rd connects to Table Mesa.

sprocket
    Oh, this is coming together nicely. Crossing I-17 at Anthem, the Power Line Rd to Old Mine Rd connects to Table Mesa.
    We are thinking:
    51path to Reach11
    Reach 11 to Scottsdale Rd. various stuff to Gateway
    Gateway TH to Tom's Thumb
    TT to Pemberton
    Pemberton to 136th St. Spur
    136th St Spur to Camp Creek (aka 12 mile wash)
    12MW to Bartlett Dam Rd.
    BD Rd to road to 7 springs
    trail #4 to Spur Cross
    Spur Cross to Maricopa Trail
    Maricopa Trail to BCT TH

or something

mtbr member
    We are thinking:
    51path to Reach11
    TT to Pemberton
    12MW to Bartlett Dam Rd.
    trail #4 to Spur Cross
    Maricopa Trail to BCT TH

or something
    when are you doing this ride? how many miles and approx time?

sprocket
    when are you doing this ride? how many miles and approx time?
    this SAT/SUN.
    Unknown.. alot?
    2 days

Tucson, AZ
    We are thinking:
    51path to Reach11
    TT to Pemberton
    12MW to Bartlett Dam Rd.
    trail #4 to Spur Cross
    Maricopa Trail to BCT TH

or something
    Any reason why you decided on Trail 4 instead of one of those "difficult" trails, like trails 245, 248, 246? I am only asking b/c I have never ridden in the area and the "easiest" description of Trail 4 seemed too, well easy.

Tucson, AZ
    this SAT/SUN.
    Unknown.. alot?
    2 days

Yuri's House to Bumble Bee TH ~200 miles by rough estimates

sprocket
    Yuri's House to Bumble Bee TH ~180 miles by rough estimates
    the plan is to ride AFAP from 6:30am from my place on Saturday and then bomb back on roads/canals/washes/paths/beer stores Sunday.
    I figure we might make it to Little Pan.

sprocket
    Any reason why you decided on Trail 4 instead of one of those "difficult" trails, like trails 245, 248, 246? I am only asking b/c I have never ridden in the area and the "easiest" description of Trail 4 seemed too, well easy.
    Trail #4 is no joke.
    Easy for horses maybe.
    I am old and decrepit.

We may nix that whole MMP and Trail #4 and just ride up to Spur Cross. We have a nice dirt route from my house mostly all the way to there.

Just another half mile...
    Hey Chad,

Trail 4 is a diffucult trail to ride. The first mile or so from Seven Springs until the first river crossing has some technical bits, then gets progressily more difficult has you head west. Trails 246, 250, 248 and others to the south got really eroded out after the big fire that ripped through there a few years ago and last I heard are very difficult to follow now. I used to lead an annual all day ride out there before the fires hit and it usually took us all day to ride 24 mile loop and we usually made it out just as the sun was setting. An optin to Trail 4 is to take trail 250 and 247 from Bronco TH to Spur Cross. 247 in the past from 250 to 248 was mostly rideable with a few hike-a-bikes, but 247 from 248 to Spur Cross has more HAB if my memory serves me right. Overall this route might be less difficult than Trail 4 since the equestrians have been using this trail. I MAPPED the area several years ago and can send yo ua GPX file of the area.

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicrider
    Overall this route might be less difficult than Trail 4 since the equestrians have been using this trail. I MAPPED the area several years ago and can send yo ua GPX file of the area.

Nailing down the proposed route with a GPX file and have one question?

T100
    McDowell (Lost-Sunset-Tom Thumb-East End)
    Pima/Dynamite

Should I head up and over to Seven Springs here, even ditch the Pima/Dynamite Connector?? The map (posted above) over and around Granite and then to Kentucky Mtn looks interesting also.

Trail 4
    Spur Cross
    Go John Loop in the Cave Creek
    Maricopa Trail
    Table Mesa
    BCT (southern and northern sections)

Members who have read this thread: 0