Calling all locals re:AZSF04- Mtbr.com
    Kathleen in AZ

Calling all locals re:AZSF04

Ok all you Arizona locals, who is going to participate in your very own backyard MTBR gathering? Dates are March 12-14 and thus far there are about 50 (locals and visitors) confirmed for at least one ride of the fling. You can participate by just showing up and riding. You can also participate by being a ride leader!

Ride leaders will not be alone out there to fend against a mass of visitors - we will team up a minimum of 2 locals to lead hopefully no more that 10-15 per group.... the more leaders we have, the smaller the group sizes can be. We are in desperate need of "A", "B", and "C" leaders familiar with Sedona for Sat and Sun rides. We also are hunting for the perfect patient individual(s) to lead the beginner "C" ride at South Mountain on Friday. Please post your preference for which rides (A,B,C) and which days/locations (SoMo Fri, Sedona Sat, Sedona Sun, Hawes Sun) and I'll add you to the roster.

If you haven't seen it yet, I have posted info for the fling in the middle of this thread: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?postid=5206#poststop

To suscribe to the AZSF04 Yahoo group list, send an e-mail to: [email protected]

I will soon be placing trail maps on the the Yahoo group file page. These are FANTASTIC topo maps that have been created by my good buddy Dale Wiggens (occasionally posts on MTBR as Epicrider or Beef) after riding each and every tail with his trusty GPS. These will be available on-line only for a short time. If you use one, thank him when you meet him!!

Finally, there will be a party on Friday night March 12 at a S.Mtn ramada off Central. I'm hoping for a headcout on the party so that we know how much BEER to buy (Kegs only, no glass bottles please)

Kathleen in AZ
    hellloooooo..... anyone out there? I'm sure at least ONE of you AZ posters wants to help out with Spring Fling in (less than) 2 weeks.

XC Geek
    I might be the patient person for South Mountain, what time is the ride. I'm assuming the "C" group will be riding Desert Classic out and back? Let me know, I'll see if I can get the day off.
    I should be doing something more productive with my time!

MTBR Tool
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    hellloooooo..... anyone out there? I'm sure at least ONE of you AZ posters wants to help out with Spring Fling in (less than) 2 weeks.

I will most definitely be attending 1 or 2 of the rides but have yet to obtain full hall pass status. I would love to help out w/the ride leader role but don't know the trails well enough to feel comfortable leading. I will sign up as soon as hall passes are forthcoming.

Jan 2004

Good job! I'll Help.

I'm sure at least ONE of you AZ posters wants to help out with Spring Fling
    Hi DurtGurl.

Since this is my first AZSF, I was going to go with the flow and not decided about Sunday until I was in Sedona on Saturday. But I will help AZSF anyway I can. If I can be of assistance, since me up to lead a Hawes Pass Sunday ride. I am doubtful if I would be best to lead an "A" ride, but I could definately lead a "B" ride. By the hilly nature of Hawes, I doubt there will be many "C" riders but I could do that too if needed. OK Durtgurl, look forward to meeting you and let me know if I can be of assistance with Hawes Pass or anything else.

P.S. - If Srexy's boss issues him a Hall Pass perhaps he can lead an A ride! :-)

Steven 'AZClydesdale'
    Scottsdale, AZ

Jan 2004

Hawes Pass

Quote Originally Posted by Srexy
    I would love to help out w/the ride leader role but don't know the trails well enough to feel comfortable leading.
    No Worries Rex! Hawes Pass is just a loop. Act like you know exactly where you're going and steer clear of those mine pits that you screamed by on the way down. You will be a fine leader!

Seriously, just keep veering right and you will stay on the outter loop. Veer left when you are near the backyards of the homes and it will take you right up to the saddle. If you went straight here, you'll have a nice out-and-back mile detour. No biggee. You're the man Rex!

DISCLAIMER TO ALL MTBR'S: Absolutely NO bushwacking occured on last Saturday's ride. Honest Injun.

Jm.

Jan 2004
    I'm not the best person for this in sedona or south mountain if i can make it on friday. I'm very familier with prescott trails of course, but for sedona I usually just make it up as I go and go with what I know, but there are certain parts of the trail that I just "go that way" without really thinking about it. I can usually lead them in the right direction but I dont think for either of those rides(doubtfull I can make it on friday anyhow) I should do any leading. If anyone wants to come to prescott for some riding on sunday...and the snow has melted, I would be up for that. You never know and when we get the 50s and 60s the snow can be gone in a day, but it's been pretty "wintery" lately.

For prescott I can make some huge loops around granite mtn that are a lot of fun, as well as around the costco area, those are two very easy to do rides (as far as planning and logisitics go) and each can easily be 4+ hours with lots of fun descents and climbs.

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Steelhead
    I might be the patient person for South Mountain, what time is the ride. I'm assuming the "C" group will be riding Desert Classic out and back? Let me know, I'll see if I can get the day off.
    Definitely - take off the day!!! We have two (zer0-Rita and another ride friend of mine, Michael) for the C Desert Classic out and back, but more are always welcome. Michael hopes to lead the more adverturesome C riders on Secret trails and maybe to the Helipad. Rita and you could keep the flatlanders happy on a less vigorous pace. Truth is, I have NO IDEA how many will be showing up for any of the rides... better to have too many leaders than not enough.

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Srexy
    I will most definitely be attending 1 or 2 of the rides but have yet to obtain full hall pass status. I would love to help out w/the ride leader role but don't know the trails well enough to feel comfortable leading. I will sign up as soon as hall passes are forthcoming.
    Hope you can show up just to ride, meet a few new folks, and maybe learn some new trails!

pedaller

Ride, lead, whatever :)

Durtgurl,

I'm planning on taking Friday off and was hoping to partake in a "B" ride but I'll be happy to help lead a "C" ride if you need me. Count on it. (I think Kevin mentioned possibly doing this as well)

I was all set for Sedona too but I just found out that I'll be attending a funeral on Sat so I guess I'll be missing out on that. Bummer.

If I can't ride on Sat, then I'll definitely be around for Sunday and yes, I've taken "C" riders on the TRW trail out by Hawes and it qualifies as a "C" ride as you know. Crossing the road into Hawes is a different story but even some of the lower middle section is doable at "C"

In any case, I can't wait for AZSFIV!!!
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelg
    Durtgurl,

I'm planning on taking Friday off and was hoping to partake in a "B" ride but I'll be happy to help lead a "C" ride if you need me. Count on it. (I think Kevin mentioned possibly doing this as well)

I was all set for Sedona too but I just found out that I'll be attending a funeral on Sat so I guess I'll be missing out on that. Bummer.

If I can't ride on Sat, then I'll definitely be around for Sunday and yes, I've taken "C" riders on the TRW trail out by Hawes and it qualifies as a "C" ride as you know. Crossing the road into Hawes is a different story but even some of the lower middle section is doable at "C"

In any case, I can't wait for AZSFIV!!!
    Will your lovely wife Amy be riding any of the fling days?? If so, is she too willing to lead?? Sorry to hear that you have other "engagements" for Saturday. We will sign you up for leading a low-key TRW/Hawes ride on Sunday. We are still deciding on where to park, which is a problem for large groups out at Hawes.

pedaller
    Will your lovely wife Amy be riding any of the fling days?? If so, is she too willing to lead??
    No, my lovely wife has to work on Friday and will try to join us on Sunday (I like how you tried to upsell me on another ride leader though ) You should be in management!!
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

Kathleen in AZ
    Spring Fling info has been updated!! Maps too!

Rita (Zero) and AZ Steelhead... are you still planning to help lead our C rides on Friday??

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Rita (Zero) and AZ Steelhead... are you still planning to help lead our C rides on Friday??
    well, i am too slow to be a leader but i will be a good follower and bring up the rear. looking forward to the fun.

Rita

XC Geek

I'll be there, I'm looking forward to a nice casual day of riding.
    See ya Friday
    I should be doing something more productive with my time!

Saucy Size
    Kathleen,

Brian Cannon and I will be in Sedona. No plans, don't really feel like taking on any specific obligations, but we'll be sure to make our guests feel welcome. :-)

p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    Kathleen,

Brian Cannon and I will be in Sedona. No plans, don't really feel like taking on any specific obligations, but we'll be sure to make our guests feel welcome. :-)

p.
    Paul, I'm so glad to see that you will be participating!! After all your organizing last year and also after this year's events in your life, I want you to just kick back and have some good fun.

Same goes for Brian!