Calling All Goats............- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Calling All Goats............

Saturday 5 of us braved Goat Camp at White Tanks. After the 7.4 mile climb to the Notch below the towers the descent down began! Poi Boy made a super run down Jack Hammer making it look way too easy. Good time, but I think I speak for all of us when I say that at the end of the approx. 13 miles that day we were all pretty shot!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

A couple more.....

Poi Boy making it look TOO easy.............
    Attached Images Attached Images

AKA shitbird
    That was a great ride, that descent is the best in the valley, sooo fun. Thanks for the pics! Let's get out there again when it's a little cooler
    JRA

Maui Grown
    That is one sick trail. Can't believe it took me so long to finally get out there. When you're doing that climb you're hating life, but once you get to the top, it is so worth it. Can't wait to get back out there, once it cools off a little. It was Mo's bright idea to ride the Goat in 100 degree weather! All but two of us ran out of water.

AKA shitbird
    Quote Originally Posted by Poi Boy
    That is one sick trail. Can't believe it took me so long to finally get out there. When you're doing that climb you're hating life, but once you get to the top, it is so worth it. Can't wait to get back out there, once it cools off a little. It was Mo's bright idea to ride the Goat in 100 degree weather! All but two of us ran out of water.
    It was your idea to follow my lead by riding a DH bike to the top though. Therefore the torture is all your fault.

How's THAT for finger pointing?! Sorry........all the crazy right vs. left stuff going on today in the news must be rubbing off on me.
    JRA

Don't believe the Hype...
    How much travel would you say you need to do the down hill section with out it really sucking? I've done the XC up and back 4 times I think. That's pretty damn fun, but I want to see what I've been missing out on...
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

Maui Grown
    Quote Originally Posted by luckybastard
    How much travel would you say you need to do the down hill section with out it really sucking? I've done the XC up and back 4 times I think. That's pretty damn fun, but I want to see what I've been missing out on...
    You're missing out on a lot! Gotta do the DH. I'd say you need 5" or more to enjoy the DH, but Landon tore it up on his Specialized, and I think it only has 4" but I may be wrong.

AKA shitbird
    Quote Originally Posted by luckybastard

I've ridden it quite a few times on my 6" bike and that's perfect, while the 8" bike was fun coming down, it sucked pretty bad on the way up. BUT, I've also ridden a couple times with people on straight up little travel XC bikes and they did pretty good. If you're a good technical rider I think the most important thing would be that you can drop your seat fairly low. One guy showed up on an mtbr ride last year (don't remember who) and rocked the goat gnar on a ridged singlespeed. I was impressed....
    JRA

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Poi Boy and eabos are right on, my 6" Balance worked great up and down. I brought 3 liters of water and was bone dry by the time we hit the pavement. Tough one, but really nice up there. Landon did tear it up, and on a shorter travel bike too!!

******ed or Branded??
    That trail is really fun. Next time I would suffer major on the climb with a big bike so that the gnar won't beat me up too much. Kavu and I are planning to hit it a soon as it cools down. I know poiboy would be down. Hopefully I can clean that spiral a little better this time around. I need more travel to have more confidence. But that's just me cause I suck!!!!!

Don't believe the Hype...
    Quote Originally Posted by doodooboi
    That trail is really fun. Next time I would suffer major on the climb with a big bike so that the gnar won't beat me up too much. Kavu and I are planning to hit it a soon as it cools down. I know poiboy would be down. Hopefully I can clean that spiral a little better this time around. I need more travel to have more confidence. But that's just me cause I suck!!!!!
    Just pack a lunch for the climb up and take your time Man, it took me forever with a my Monocog. The first time was with Helimech, Lostboyz and their crew. And the second time was with Jeff and SuLing, all of them were waaaaay faster than I was. Hopefully I've improved since then.
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

mtbr member
    Nice TLS36 & Poi Boy, good to hear you got a taste of GC. BUT you all missed out on MOAB. LPS, Jackson tr and portal are the ssssssshhhhhhh!!!!!!!TTTTTTT. Looking FWD to some GC in the cooler days.
    SHITBIRD

Everyone Bleeds!

Cool-blue Rhythm I think it was....

Willygoat from Idaho. I met him one afternoon at dreamy Draw. I think he said he works at a shop up there and he was staying with a sister that lives here in the valley. Said he was going to go ride with the guys from the pig. He also went on a ride at BCT. (<~~~~very good memory)

Quote Originally Posted by eabos
    I've ridden it quite a few times on my 6" bike and that's perfect, while the 8" bike was fun coming down, it sucked pretty bad on the way up. BUT, I've also ridden a couple times with people on straight up little travel XC bikes and they did pretty good. If you're a good technical rider I think the most important thing would be that you can drop your seat fairly low. One guy showed up on an mtbr ride last year (don't remember who) and rocked the goat gnar on a ridged singlespeed. I was impressed....
    Everyday of my life, I'm forced to add another name to the list of people that piss me off!

Members who have read this thread: 0