Cactus Bike Group Ride 1/30- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Cactus Bike Group Ride 1/30

Saturday group ride time! As far as I can tell there are no events going on this weekend on South Mountain so National should be clear and the weather will be PERFECT. So, we will do the ride I originally planned last week. Starting at 9am we will leave from the Ahwatukee shop at 48th St and Elliot and head out on Desert Classic to Telegraph pass. Hike/bike up Telegraph pass then take the remaining sliver of National to the Buena Vista parking lot and head back down National to Pima Canyon and back to the shop and Los Taquitos for some kickass burros! Anyone is welcome to join and there are tons of bailout points so if you feel up to it give it a shot! It is a great loop, one of my favorites of all time. If you have any questions feel free to email me at [email protected].
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cactus Bike Group Ride 1/30-img_1364.jpg  

Cactus Bike Group Ride 1/30-img_1355.jpg  

Just Joshin' ya!
    Ahh yes, the terror of teacher ride. If I don't get wife approval for Bootleg and there are no Saturday shuttles, I think this would be the shiznit.
    Getting a dropper post is like getting a bidet. I didn't know I needed one until I get one and boy, does my ass thank me.

Shred...it's the new drug
    will there be drifting involved? if so...

And I don't mean the band
    I hope to be there, sounds like a fun loop. Depends on how the new bike build is going!
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. --Mark Twain

BLAWG

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by latedropbob
    HAHAHA all drifters will be shot on site...It will be a fun loop, it is a perfect mix of climbing, descending, and cruising. Plus it ends with the best part coming down National so there will be a smile on your face when your done!

lurker extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by Average Joe
    HAHAHA all drifters will be shot on site...It will be a fun loop, it is a perfect mix of climbing, descending, and cruising. Plus it ends with the best part coming down National so there will be a smile on your face when your done!

I was thinking of going but, if I can't drift, screw it. I was thinking of getting my drift on while climbing/hiking Telegraph. Is that possible?

mtbr member
    I would like to make this ride, but will have to see what my workd schedule is like on Saturday morning first ;(

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by latedropbob

That .., It will only happen at McDowells.

Plasko
    What's the stats on the ride - mileage, time, etc? I've never done this loop, but it sounds like a blast! Also, what skill levels are going to be represented on this group ride?

Just Joshin' ya!
    This ride is somewhere in the neighborhood of 18 to 20 miles if I remember right. You start at Pima Canyon. You have the first 9 miles through Desert Classic which is an easy to moderate XC trail. No huge climbs there. Then you get to Telegraph Pass. This is a 1.5 mile hike a bike if I remember and it sucks. But you get up pretty quickly and this trail is LOADED with hikers on weekends so its no use trying to ride anyway. Once you get to the top of Telegraph, there is a biatch of a climb and some flats on National (or you can take the road back to Buena Vista) and that lasts for I think like 3 miles. Finally you get to Buena Vista and then it is mostly downhill all the way back down National to Pima Canyon. Right where you started from.

If I missed anything, please correct me.

Joey, even though I have only ridden with you like two times, I was talking about this ride at a yoga class with the instructor, Phaedra. She apparently knows you and asked that I say hello. Like I said before, if I don't go to Bootleg, I am in for this ride as it as been a couple of years since I have done this loop.
    Getting a dropper post is like getting a bidet. I didn't know I needed one until I get one and boy, does my ass thank me.

mtbr member
    Haha nice good to hear from Fedra I havent seen her in a long time. Quite the hot little momma huh? Definetly a good yoga partner. As for the ride, and skills, and all that good stuff...My theory is as long as you can find your own way back why not give it a shot? What is the worst that could happen? You join the ride, end up in the back the whole time, and get to push yourself more than you usually do which will make you a stronger rider. This is not a guided tour, it is a group ride. We will wait up a reasonable amount for stragglers but if there is someone who is really exceptionally slow it might be best for them to opt out and either do the ride at their own pace or head back on the trail. There is only one way to find out...come out and ride! It will be a good time, its hard to go wrong when you are riding with a good group of diverse riders.

OK looks like I'm ready to go!

There will highly likely be some tweaking on the way, it will be the maiden voyage....

Check it out: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=589221

BLAWG

mtbr member
    Nice read up on your build. Hope you enjoy

mtbr member
    I'll be heading out on my first national c2c2c attempt tomorrow about that time so more than likely I'll run into you all..at that point please tell me to stop whining and suck it up since I'm sure I'll be looking for reasons to wuss out

Elitest thrill junkie
    I think I'll be there for this Cactus ride on my "XC" bike.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Anyone who is on the fence of whether they should go or not...

Joey leads a great group ride. You won't be dropped and you'll have a good time. Its very chill and definitely not a Race Pace.

Plasko
    Well, a blown-out rear tire from tonight's ride is probably going to preclude my ability to join this particular group ride

lurker extraordinaire
    Fun ride, guys. Thanks again for organizing this, Joey!

haha came home, did another hawes loop. now I'm completely wore out

Joey, I'm probably taking the Covert into the shop tomorrow, I checked it over when I got home, it had a major 'clunk' in the rear through both rides so I took it easy on it. I'm pretty sure it's that loose shock-bushing/spacer, everything else was nice and tight....

Bike was awesome though, buttery smooth handling

BLAWG

Meatbomb
    buttah

Elitest thrill junkie
    Yep, fun ride.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    That was a solid ride, good stuff and a great group! Here are some pictures, if you want to see the rest become a fan of Cactus Bike on Facebook and check out the album! If you want me to tag you in any of them friend Joey Raymond and I will tag you all up!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cactus Bike Group Ride 1/30-groupride1-29-1.jpg  

Cactus Bike Group Ride 1/30-groupride1-29-2.jpg  

Cactus Bike Group Ride 1/30-groupride1-29-9.jpg  

Cactus Bike Group Ride 1/30-groupride1-29-7.jpg  

Cactus Bike Group Ride 1/30-groupride1-29-14.jpg  

Cactus Bike Group Ride 1/30-groupride1-29-6.jpg  

mtbr member
    gotta try something

Last edited by Average Joe; 01-31-2010 at 01:21 PM.

mtbr member
    damn nice pics. Looked like fun.

Members who have read this thread: 0