mtbr member
    Nov 2018

C02, Tools and Tube.... In your backpack or on the frame?

LightSport Man AZ MTB & Road Bike Nation
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Ligh...ManAZMTBNation

Meatbomb
    Everything goes in my pack.

mtbr member
    Under the seat.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LightSportMan View Post
    I used to carry everything a pack. But have moved to using bottles on the bike so carry evertying on the bike. I feel lighter and cooler than with a pack, but I still use one from time to time. For my FS Epic I use SWAT box with CO2, Tube and bacon, and swat tool mounted to the bottle cage. For my single speed I use an EVOC seatbag and SWAT tool. For my Santa Cruz 5010 I use SWAT tool on the bottle cage and seat bag I mount between the top tube and down tube since I don't want to limit my dropper post travel.

For rides longer than 2-3 hrs I will bring my camelbak with more water and more tools/spares especially for backcountry stuff where if something breaks you are just way out.

Sometimes I carry my pump in my jersey pocket as well as I hate to run out of C02.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    I used to carry everything a pack. But have moved to using bottles on the bike so carry evertying on the bike. I feel lighter and cooler than with a pack, but I still use one from time to time. For my FS Epic I use SWAT box with CO2, Tube and bacon, and swat tool mounted to the bottle cage. For my single speed I use an EVOC seatbag and SWAT tool. For my Santa Cruz 5010 I use SWAT tool on the bottle cage and seat bag I mount between the top tube and down tube since I don't want to limit my dropper post travel.

For rides longer than 2-3 hrs I will bring my camelbak with more water and more tools/spares especially for backcountry stuff where if something breaks you are just way out.

Sometimes I carry my pump in my jersey pocket as well as I hate to run out of C02.
    I would love to see a photo of you setup

mtbr member
    my Epic

my 5010
    C02, Tools and Tube.... In your backpack or on the frame?-lemmondrop.jpg

My HT
    C02, Tools and Tube.... In your backpack or on the frame?-29plus.jpg
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Everything in a bag under the seat or tool bottles cages. The only thing on my back/jersey are the phone and ID, money, etc., inside a pouch.

mtbr member
    I use a small hip pack for all that stuff. Much less obtrusive/sweaty than a backpack, without stuff hanging off my bike. I don't notice it at all when I ride. I have an aversion to stuff being strapped to my bike. Not sure why.
    Binary • Transition Bikes • Demon Dirt •

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    I just ordered this what do you think
    https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/pro...xoCgWAQAvD_BwE

Just A Mountain Biker.
    I used to be an "everything in the pack" guy, but over the past year or so I have migrated everything to a bag on the bike. I happen to like the Wolf Tooth pump bag, not because of being able to put a pump in it but because I have to carry a 19mm open end wrench in case I have to pull my rear wheel and re-tension it (eccentric hub). The bag give me the length I need, but not too much. Otherwise I would have just put my stuff in a seat pack.
    MTBR: Your dad's online mountain bike forum.

livin' the dream......
    SWAT box on my Fuse, or seat bag on my Stumpjumper. I usually ride with a Camelback once the temps get above 100* and have the extra storage there too.
    Less f*cks to give every passing day, use them well. - geraldooka

My other ride is your mom
    Not wearing a pack is super nice and so freeing.

mtbr member
    But doesn't all that gear and water on your bike make it feel like your riding a lead horse that handles poorly? Most riders like a lighter bike not heavier. I feel like the extra weight would be less noticeable on one's body. Help me understand?

Ahhh the pain....
    Pretty sure you'd find that if you had to carry 15 lbs of stuff, it's way more comfy to carry it on the bike...for a few reasons
    1. Packs are HOT...make your back sweat
    2. Every time you get out of the saddle and pedal, you are raising that packup a foot or so...that adds up over a long ride.
    3. Handling a heavy bike isn't all that bad...weight is weight going up hill, but actually going DH on a loaded bike isn't bad...it handles like a bus (not twitchy).
    4. Probably not an issue if we're talking about a few lbs, but extra saddle pressure can cause all kinds of issues.
    5. A pack can shift around unless you have it really cinched to you...that can cause some problems.

On the other side, I like a pack for 4+ hour rides since it makes it easier (for me) to stay on top of hydration.

I've found after a bikepacking trip where I've spent a few days riding a loaded bike, that the same bike unloaded is almost too light (I tended to sort of oversteer it)

livin' the dream......
    Agree with Ray. I don't really notice the weight when it is part of the bike, but when it is on my back, I do notice it.

I rode BCT on saturday, and did were a camelback just to carry extra water with me. I would have preferred just going with two bottles, but due to remote feeling of that trail, I figured having some extra would be smart.

The SWAT box on my Fuse is really cool, and I am surprised more manufacturers have not adopted it. For those who are not sure what the SWAT is, (storage, water, air & tools). The storage part is essentially the entire downtube of the frame is hollowed out and can fit a variety of crap in there. I have a 27.5+ tube, a pump, co2, tire levers, TP and a tube of Nuun Hydration. I also put my car keys in there when I drive to the TH.
    Less f*cks to give every passing day, use them well. - geraldooka

mtbr member
    My Backcountry Research strap carries a tube, multitool, C02 cartridge, and inflator. I keep it with my helmet etc and move it between my bikes depending on what I'm riding. I prefer to have as little on my body as possible.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I have two “gas tanks” on my top tube. Revelate’s smaller tank under the front of my seat carries emergency tube, CO2 cartridges and multi tool; the front Revelate Mag Tank 2000 carries my gummies, phone, and various other stuff. Works out quite well. Several rides with this configuration and no issues with the bags being in the way of anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2016

Disregard

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by gwhayduke View Post
    Disregard

Posted twice, sorry about that. Fat thumbs.

Meatbomb
    Quote Originally Posted by gwhayduke View Post
    I have two “gas tanks” on my top tube. Revelate’s smaller tank under the front of my seat carries emergency tube, CO2 cartridges and multi tool; the front Revelate Mag Tank 2000 carries my gummies, phone, and various other stuff. Works out quite well. Several rides with this configuration and no issues with the bags being in the way of anything.

Water?

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Water?
    Ah. I still carry a CamelBak for water.