C-ride Saturday 11-3-07- Mtbr.com
    im4Gsus

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! C-ride Saturday 11-3-07

hi all

meet at Dreamy Draw to ride t-100 and it's many offshoots.
    gather ~7:45am, RTR 8am.

this is not a beginner ride!

some technical and bike handling skills are necessary for these rocky trails. The pace will be casual and hopefully the group can ride close together.

who's in?

ms K
    "If God is your co-pilot you're in the wrong seat!" S Barrington

rockcrusher
    Saturday is no bueno. I may do all of DC on Sunday, I need to make up for last weekend

Shovel Ready

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by kaboose
    The pace will be casual and hopefully the group can ride close together.
    If by chance this comment is related to Tuesday night. I asked you a couple times if you were OK. You said you were hanging back because of the dust. I know I lost you over the small ridge. But in my defense, I looked back and you were coming over the top and thought you saw where I was going. That was the first time I have ever created some distance between another rider and myself. I don't consider myself to be a fast rider. I do like to keep up a little pace with the SS though. Helps get the fat boy up some of the small climbs. Going too slow makes me lug through something and that is hard on me. Maybe riding with 'Size and his friends has helped a little more than I thought. Then again maybe it's just the asthma meds working. Sorry If you felt I was just taking off and not looking back for others.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I'm still on the fence, I don't know if I can make it or not, but I'll let ya know!
    -Monica

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I'm undecided, but am leaning more towards a non-C-ride for Saturday.

im4Gsus
    Quote Originally Posted by trb2929
    If by chance this comment is related to Tuesday night...
    tim, this comment was TOTALLY unrelated to tuesday night!!
    like you said, i gave you room because of the dust. when i got closer to you i'd back off again and, yes, i did see you peek over the shoulder to check up on me.

the reason for the comment was this: in the past i've been part of some "C" group rides where riders came who were not really C riders, and their pace was not casual at all. i found myself riding alone most of the time. (they say "it's lonely at the top" but i'll add "it's also lonely at the back!") oh yes, they'd be ahead mile or so and would be waiting. however, by the time i'd join them conversations were going on and they were ready to roll! not much socializing or time to catch a breath - very frustrating after a while!.

imo, riding closer together - at least within earshot of each other - is part of the fun of a group ride. seeing which line the rider in front takes, what things/obstacles they make/don't make and things like that. also if there's a mechanical or crash others can assist right away. once i had a mechanical and it was more than 10 minutes before someone in the group ahead thought to come back and check up on me. i was not that far behind, they were just involved and didn't miss me for a long time.

last saturday at mmp, we did ride closer together on the long loop and i had a really good time. both times umbrous had a mechanical we were right there to assist. the pace, however, was not as fast as kevinb is used to, but he was gracious 'nuff to hang with us.

umbrous and i are pretty compatible and we ride together a lot. most times i do better on the climbs and he does better on the dHs. i like it that he sends me ahead on the dHs and gives me 15-20 second head start. this way if something happens to me i know he'll be there to help! knowing that gives me confidence to stretch myself a bit.

ok, so that's my take on riding together or "group ride". can anyone else relate?
    Last edited by kaboose; 11-01-2007 at 01:28 PM.

It rains here. :(
    I'm out, I have some stuff I need to do on Saturday. I got the SS back yesterday with a loner fork, it's a Rock Shox Dart (yeah not the best but at least I have suspension again), my Reba was sent back for Rock Shox to examine/fix the problem. The EBB is still as squeaky as all heck, I guess I need to figure out how to take this thing apart and grease and lube this thing. Have a good ride everyone, I'll be back next Saturday. Maybe for a little TRW/Hawes?
    07 GF Rig

im4Gsus

Ps

Quote Originally Posted by kaboose
    all the above...
    in my haste to respond to trb's concern, i forgot to mention another important aspect of riding with a group too fast for my pace. i don't like it that i'm slowing the group down. them waiting down the trail makes me feel i'm spoiling their ride. i've asked many riders to just go on riding and not wait for me. some have gone on and i'm happy they've found others to ride with. some have not and i still felt guilty...

ok, i'm stepping down now.

mtbr member

Got room for one more?

I was going to ride t-100 from Dreamy Draw saturday morning solo but if I can ride along with y'all that would be cool. I'm always looking for new people to ride with. You can't miss me. I'll be the fat guy on the black Chumba.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I'm in! See you there!

im4Gsus
    Quote Originally Posted by jesterspaw
    I was going to ride t-100 from Dreamy Draw saturday morning solo but if I can ride along with y'all that would be cool. I'm always looking for new people to ride with. You can't miss me. I'll be the fat guy on the black Chumba.
    yes, dars always room for jello and one more rider!

i drive this but will ride my black turner instead of the 29er.

see you there!
    Attached Images Attached Images

im4Gsus
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinB
    I'm undecided, but am leaning more towards
    a non-C-ride for Saturday.
    i know. we're slower than you, but it'd be an opportunity to ride
    a new trail; something other than mmp...

im4Gsus
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbrous
    ...next Saturday. Maybe for a little TRW/Hawes?
    that'll be cool; i like trw/hawes!

kevinb also wants to do a loop starting from the pemberton parking lot up to dixie mine, whip coach, windgate - or something like that - in the near future. i'm waiting for cooler temps cuz that's gonna be close to a 20-mile ride and 3-4 hrs of riding.

im4Gsus
    Quote Originally Posted by r39205
    I'm in! See you there!

yipeee!

Members who have read this thread: 0