c-ride report of new coachwhip trail at MMP- Mtbr.com
    im4Gsus

c-ride report of new coachwhip trail at MMP

rod and i started promptly at 7am and rode up granite/bluff to pemberton. the morning air was crisp with a slight, cool breeze - the perfect conditions for a fun, casual ride.

at the intersection of pemberton with tonto tank we met up with dale. since he couldn't make the RTR time, he rode up tonto and patiently waited for us to get there.

back on pemberton, about a mile further south, and just before climbing rocky ridge, we found the trail entrance. some of the trail building equipment was still there - this IS a new cut trail!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "If God is your co-pilot you're in the wrong seat!" S Barrington

im4Gsus
    off we went unto new territory! as many have reported, the soil is somewhat soft; it definitely needs a mild rain soak to firm it up. the first part of the trail has a nice twisty flow and meanders for a while along the desert floor...then...

im4Gsus
    then the climbing starts. it climbs and climbs until it finally meets with the windmill trail, which was rerouted a bit to meet with this new trail.

in the last pic, where the guys are waiting for my tail to make it up the hill one can see in the distance where we came from.

then looking south we saw a steep trail which looked fairly new and we wondered if it's the one that goes to tom's thumb....

im4Gsus
    the original plan was to make a loop with dixie mine back to pemberton but we opted to ride the same trail back and check out how it flowed going downhill. we all agreed: it was a bumpy ride!

back at pemberton we went cw to ride bluffs/granite back to the cars. by now the gentle breeze had turned into a wicked wind with gusts that would almost push us off the trail. the ride down bluffs was, as always, a total hoot. in all we rode 18.5 miles without crashes or mechanicals, just a lot of rest stops!

in town we stopped at seņor taco for some delicious nutritional replenishment.

thank you guys for a great day out in the desert!

mtbr member
    In that second pic I look like I'm gonna hurl. That new section is pretty fun but will be better once it rains and packs it down and mellows out some of the water bars.
    I'm tired of chasing my dreams, I'm just gonna find out where they're going and hook up with them later!

Black and Sticky
    Glad you guys had a good ride on new Coachwhip. That is a great climb and I really look forward to when the trail gets a little more broken in.

Y'all need to mark your calendar. Night rides at MMP begin May 8. Here is the link: http://www.maricopa.gov/parks/mcdowe...x?EventID=2352

Sativa why don't you start organizing a night "C-ride" at Pemberton.

Bob
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

Shovel Ready
    Nice job on the photos.

I especially like this one!

Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome. :)

mtbr member
    Thanks Sativa,

That new section was great!

Good ride, good people, can't ask for anything better!

I sure am pooped from that climbing into that wind.

Was nice seeing you again Bob and to meet your wife. Hope you had a good ride.
    I will be doing that 1st night ride. Maybe see you out there.

Be safe everyone and have a good weekend!

Rod
    What if you get scared half to death?.......Twice

im4Gsus
    Quote Originally Posted by Bituman
    Y'all need to mark your calendar. Night rides at MMP begin May 8. Here is the link: http://www.maricopa.gov/parks/mcdowe...x?EventID=2352

Sativa why don't you start organizing a night "C-ride" at Pemberton.

Bob
    bob, it was good seeing you again and meeting your wife. how did she like the trail? will she be back???

re organizing a night c-ride...NAH!!
    first: i don't have lights and second: i don't like night riding! oh, i've tried it several times with good and bad (halogen) lights. it's just not something i enjoyed...sorry!

Combining Old and Bold
    Quote Originally Posted by kaboose
    then the climbing starts. it climbs and climbs until it finally meets with the windmill trail, which was rerouted a bit to meet with this new trail.

in the last pic, where the guys are waiting for my tail to make it up the hill one can see in the distance where we came from.

then looking south we saw a steep trail which looked fairly new and we wondered if it's the one that goes to tom's thumb....
    The last photo in this section is what you thought: the new "East End" trail that goes up to Tom's Thumb. I hiked it Sat. with the pooch, also scouting it out for a future MTB ride. I was trying to decide whether a Tom's Thumb loop ride would be best going up on the west side and down the east side or vice-versa. Ultimately, I think it is best to have a helicopter drop you off at the top. Seriously, the East End trail, as that photo clearly shows, is a push-fest if you're climbing it. The switchbacks are tight, and the trail pitch is actually steeper, I think, than the Tom's Thumb trail (west approach). I'll probably try it going up the west and down the east. Tough day any way you cut it!

Black and Sticky
    bob, it was good seeing you again and meeting your wife. how did she like the trail? will she be back???

re organizing a night c-ride...NAH!!
    first: i don't have lights and second: i don't like night riding! oh, i've tried it several times with good and bad (halogen) lights. it's just not something i enjoyed...sorry!
    I think she liked the ride but don't believe she will become hard core! Did as you suggested we went CCW around Pemberton to Bluff and down Bluff back to Pemberton and then staging area, 13 miles total. Nice relaxing ride for me and not too bad for Mandee the noob.

Oops I forgot you don't like the night gig. Well then isn't it otherwise time for one of your patented C epics? That is, before the oven comes on for good.

Bob
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

yeah, that is the new East End extension that goes up to Thom's Thumb. My wife and I checked it out Saturday morning. It is a nice trail until you get to the bottom of the switchbacks. Then it goes up with a vengeance. Some of the pitches are so steep it was difficult to push a bike up. Not so bike friendly. But the views are great from the top.

Saw a LOT of hikers up there Saturday. I guess the word is out about the trail.

im4Gsus
    Quote Originally Posted by dtownmtb
    yeah, that is the new East End extension that goes up to Thom's Thumb. My wife and I checked it out Saturday morning. It is a nice trail until you get to the bottom of the switchbacks. Then it goes up with a vengeance. Some of the pitches are so steep it was difficult to push a bike up. Not so bike friendly. But the views are great from the top.
    that trail does look steep even from where we were. taking my bike for a hike is not my idea of a fun time. i'll stick with coachwhip and dixie mine on that end of the park!

i think next time i'm going to "bite the bullet" and climb up the rocky ridge to dixie mine and take coachwhip back to pemberton. weather permitting we'll go cw on pemberton and take westfork to boundary and come back down on rodeo. it could be a bit ambitious if the temps are going to be high. summer is coming, drats!

Members who have read this thread: 0