buy sell/donate cheap mtn bikes in Sedona- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004

buy sell/donate cheap mtn bikes in Sedona

Hey Y'all- we are planning a honeymoon trip to Grnd Canyon and Sedona for a week at the end of March. We road bike - but it will be too expensive to take road bikes with us ($80 airline fee each way per bike). Rental is kind of pricey, too.

So we are considering just buying a couple cheap "mountain" bikes, like $80 to $100, at Walmart or Target. I would pack my trunk-mount bike rack, and then we would have bikes all week for tourist-y riding plus some lighter trail riding in Sedona.

On the web, I can't find Walmart or Target in Sedona. Would I have to go to Flagstaff? Or is there somewhere in Sedona that sells these inexpensive bikes?

How could I sell these bikes, considering it would probably HAVE to be Sat. morning, Mar 19?

OR Where in Sedona could I donate the two bikes, like an adolescent treatment center or something?

And what mechanical problems would I be most likely to have with these "Huffys"?

OH- and feel free to mention trails to ride: we are road not mtn bikers but can handle a challenge.

Thanks! -PJ

banned
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Pjay
    Hey Y'all- we are planning a honeymoon trip to Grnd Canyon and Sedona for a week at the end of March. We road bike - but it will be too expensive to take road bikes with us ($80 airline fee each way per bike). Rental is kind of pricey, too.

So we are considering just buying a couple cheap "mountain" bikes, like $80 to $100, at Walmart or Target. I would pack my trunk-mount bike rack, and then we would have bikes all week for tourist-y riding plus some lighter trail riding in Sedona.

On the web, I can't find Walmart or Target in Sedona. Would I have to go to Flagstaff? Or is there somewhere in Sedona that sells these inexpensive bikes?

How could I sell these bikes, considering it would probably HAVE to be Sat. morning, Mar 19?

OR Where in Sedona could I donate the two bikes, like an adolescent treatment center or something?

And what mechanical problems would I be most likely to have with these "Huffys"?

OH- and feel free to mention trails to ride: we are road not mtn bikers but can handle a challenge.

Thanks! -PJ
    No, fortunately there is no WM or Target in Sedona. Flagstaff of Prescott would be closest.

I would suggest renting. You SHOULD be able to get a decent rate since you are renting 2 bikes for multiple days. And the quality of bike will be so much better for what you would rent at a shop than the frustration and crap ride quality of a WM special.

If you want to rent in Phoenix and return them in Phoenix, I'm sure some of the folk on here can give reco's of good shops to try. Or I can suggest one as well. Or, Absolute Bikes in Sedona & Flagstaff is also a good choice.

Noble to want to donate them, but why would you want to suffer like that?

mtbr member

bike and bean

I think the bike&bean shop in sedona rents bikes. Google them.

banned
    Dec 2003
    Cool avatar Kendogg, is that from "Officespace"?

mtbr member

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by DownHillFast
    Cool avatar Kendogg, is that from "Officespace"?
    I found it on some avatar site. That is one of my favorite movies. Unfortunately, it's very much like where I work.

banned
    Dec 2003

Uh-huh

Quote Originally Posted by kendogg
    Unfortunately, it's very much like where I work.
    I know the feeling.

zul
    Will Guide for Beer

Super WM in Cottonwood

I'd rent. Then you could enjoy cross bike routes and dirt trails. Try the bike and bean 928-284-0210. Good guys, they'll hook you up.

mtbr member

Good job! An EXCELLENT road ride in the area...

There's a Super WalMart 15 min form Sedona in Cottonwood, but I think there are better options for you:

Biking @ Grand Canyon? There is a book available on raodbiking the GC - seen it @ Barnes and Noble. For the past decade I've spent several days per week @ the grand canyon spring, summer and fall - the roads are VERY congested on the S. Rim, esp in March w/ spring break. BE CAREFUL!

An EXCELLENT road ride in the area is between Sunset Crater and Wupatki National Monuments! Many miles of incredible, outrageuos scenery - from open Ponderosa pine forest flooded w/ stark black lava flows and massive cones of cinder, to wonderfully sublime red deserts bordering the painted desert itself where you can ride right up to some of the most stunning ancient Anazasi ruins anywhere! The newly surfaced road seems totally out of place as it rolls up and down through the hills (this is not flat desert), w/ almost no cars at all - like a few per hour max., a few per day sometimes! I've done this road ride on my mtn. bike a number of times because of the setting - shhh, don't tell the mtb police - and I live and work in the Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce, Sedona... Not "posing", just a reference for you of my perspective.

I can't reccamend this ride enough!!! Rent good bikes in nearby Flagstaff and have a ball. I usually do about 30 miles on the fat tires and 30+ lb full boing, but you could probably do up to 65 miles on a road bike if you want to!

My .02$ would be to rent good bikes for the above suggestion or here or in Sedona, and spend time in Grand Canyon hiking in the Canyon rather than wrestling the cars on it's rim. I am a mountain biker though, and hike a couple hundred miles in the canyon per year...

My .02$
    Last edited by Rollin'in'Zona; 12-28-2004 at 07:05 PM.

viva la v-brakes!

just rent em

I would just rent some bikes on the specific days you want to ride. It would be as cheap if not cheaper, plus you'd get a real bike. Those walmart bikes are pretty miserable, no wonder most people think riding a bike is a shitty way to get around.

Bike and bean and Mountain Bike Heaven in Sedona, there are shops around every corner in Flag, but remember flagstaff and the GC will be pretty cold and wet and probably muddy during that time of year.

Lastly, I don't know what airline you're flying but $80 each way per bike is steep. I've traveled a lot with a bike and typically have had to pay $40-$50 per bike. On some airlines a League of American Bicyclists membership will allow your bike to fly free.

As for where to ride, there are plenty of easy dirt road rides around flag, again if it's not muddy. A good road ride here is Lake Mary Road.

In Sedona you might like the Bell Rock Pathway, though short, it has awesome views. Schnebly Hill Road is a great challenge with incredible views all the way up. Also try out some of the dirt roads off of Dry Creek Road.
    Last edited by FishMan473; 12-29-2004 at 02:40 PM. Reason: cause I said so
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

thanks! itinerary change

Thanks everyone for ideas-
    My travel plans have changed, which helps - I waited before booking flight into Sedona, and the next day all flights were gone. So I am flying in and out of Phoenix, where I have family.

My plan now is to buy a couple used mtn bikes through family, get them loaded onto rack when I arrive in Phoenix, then re-sell them once I leave- if family will agree to help.

Thus, if it all works out well, I can have decent bikes for little money, and for my use whenever I want all week of my trip.

The prob with the rental is having to pick up and return, and the restriction on the schedule.

Keep posting if you have any other suggestions, including rides at Grand Canyon or Sedona.
    -PJ