Butterscotch- Mtbr.com

Thread: Butterscotch

parenting for gnarness

Butterscotch

I've been obsessed with this! Really obsessed. And I don't know why cause I don't even own a flask. OK don't get me wrong - whiskey is awesome. And CactusJoe has good whiskey. But I'm not really into the hammer to my head. And oil cans are good too, except they make me feel fat - no good unless the ride is almost over. DurtGurl's Peppermint Schnapps was a revelation, and sensory orgasm after tasting dry, dusty mouth for the last 5 hours. But at the end of the day, peppermint tastes like the Dentist.

I gotta start packing butterscotch schnapps!!!
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

Pivotal figure
    Howzabout Smores Schnapps
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    I've been obsessed with this! Really obsessed. And I don't know why cause I don't even own a flask. OK don't get me wrong - whiskey is awesome. And CactusJoe has good whiskey. But I'm not really into the hammer to my head. And oil cans are good too, except they make me feel fat - no good unless the ride is almost over. DurtGurl's Peppermint Schnapps was a revelation, and sensory orgasm after tasting dry, dusty mouth for the last 5 hours. But at the end of the day, peppermint tastes like the Dentist.

I gotta start packing butterscotch schnapps!!!
    Two words: butterscotch dipped Dairy Queen soft serve.

(Me, personally, I'm a Sambuca man when it comes to getting warm.)
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

aka Diesel
    Sambuca or bust.
    I am the only one I know who loves Sambuca with an undying passion (especially with a cute little coffee bean at the bottom), but you should try it!
    "People do not lack strength; they lack will" (Victor Hugo)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteKis
    Sambuca or bust.
    I am the only one I know who loves Sambuca with an undying passion (especially with a cute little coffee bean at the bottom), but you should try it!
    Yes, MUST have a coffee bean....and set on fire.

aka Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Yes, MUST have a coffee bean....and set on fire.
    A

Agreed! My fav sambuca drink is when you add 1/2 oz blue curacao liqueur and set it on fire. Here's a great link for all things sambuca...

http://www.drinksmixer.com/desc228.html

Pivotal figure
    I got to develop a taste for Sambuca while on deployment in Italy. Haven't had any in quite a while now though, might have to pick some up (another excuse to imbibe, yay!)

"Yabut"
    Does Sambuca go bad? I think I have a bottle that must be 15 years old, maybe older.
    ~Aaron~
    "I like the night life. I like to boogie."

www.CosmicRaces.com

aka Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by MyBike'sBroken
    Does Sambuca go bad? I think I have a bottle that must be 15 years old, maybe older.
    Only one way to find out.... hand it over to skinny-tire, kenbentit & I... we'll let you know...
    I thought I was the only one who loved Sambuca... I think it tastes like Good & Plenty. But alas, love all things Italiano!

"Yabut"
    Only one way to find out.... hand it over to skinny-tire, kenbentit & I... we'll let you know...
    OK, I'm gonna crack this thing open and give it a test. If nobody hears from me in the next 24 hours, call 911.
    ~Aaron~

www.CosmicRaces.com

aka Diesel
    OK, I'm gonna crack this thing open and give it a test. If nobody hears from me in the next 24 hours, call 911.
    Well now I'm dyin' to know how this turns out!
    I've got to think that after 15 years it's taken on something of an absinthe effect.

Pivotal figure
    I'd be willing to bet that the booze will preserve it for a long time. Heck, I'd be willing to umm, verify it's cleanliness

"Yabut"

The results are in

Well now I'm dyin' to know how this turns out!
    I've got to think that after 15 years it's taken on something of an absinthe effect.
    OK, first of all, that stuff definitely has a "warming" effect. The label says 42% alcohol. But I don't know, it's pretty strong. Can the alcohol level raise over time?? Secondly, I had no idea it tasted like licorice. So THAT was a surprise. And yes, I put a couple coffee beans in the little glass. I don't think I could taste the coffee beans, but they looked good floating on top. I think I prefer some sort of cinnamon schnapps, but I could see taking this on a cold night ride, no problem. Maybe I'll try to make a future night ride, and bring a flask.
    ~Aaron~

www.CosmicRaces.com

aka Diesel
    OK, first of all, that stuff definitely has a "warming" effect. The label says 42% alcohol. But I don't know, it's pretty strong. Can the alcohol level raise over time?? Secondly, I had no idea it tasted like licorice. So THAT was a surprise. And yes, I put a couple coffee beans in the little glass. I don't think I could taste the coffee beans, but they looked good floating on top. I think I prefer some sort of cinnamon schnapps, but I could see taking this on a cold night ride, no problem. Maybe I'll try to make a future night ride, and bring a flask.
    It's an "anise flavored liqueur", infused with witch elder and licorice, sugar, and spices. I have never tried the "black" Sambuca, just the white... dayummm... now I want a night cap.

Okay, and if anyone knows the "coffee bean etiquette", I feel like a hick asking this, but are you supposed to eat the coffee bean? I mean, you know, I always do! But I'd hate to be "that girl" crunching away on the bean, when it's only for flavor... hmmm... Ah what the hell.. I don't care... I like to eat the bean at the end. Consider it my java-worm.

Yes... make a future night ride, invite all the sambuca fans, and we will all stand there with our flasks, while you hook us up!

Glad you're still alive... had to check before I hit the hay.... sambuca-less. *pout*

"Yabut"
    Yes... make a future night ride, invite all the sambuca fans, and we will all stand there with our flasks, while you hook us up!
    OK, I'll bring the entire bottle, and a bag of coffee beans.
    ~Aaron~

www.CosmicRaces.com

Pivotal figure
    42% is 84 proof which is pretty stout. Did you chill it or pour it straight? I usually chill it with ice then pour through the little strainer thing so it doesn't get watered down. You can tell it's cold when it turns milky looking. Obviously the black sambuca doesn't change color although it will make your tongue a really, unique tone.
    Edit; I usually leave the bean just so I don't end up wide awake at 2 am.

"Yabut"
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit
    42% is 84 proof which is pretty stout. Did you chill it or pour it straight? I usually chill it with ice then pour through the little strainer thing so it doesn't get watered down. You can tell it's cold when it turns milky looking. Obviously the black sambuca doesn't change color although it will make your tongue a really, unique tone.
    Edit; I usually leave the bean just so I don't end up wide awake at 2 am.
    I drank it at room temperature. But yeah, I think if it were cold, it would be better. I guess I had better try another glass, huh?
    ~Aaron~

www.CosmicRaces.com

parenting for gnarness
    I drank it at room temperature. But yeah, I think if it were cold, it would be better. I guess I had better try another glass, huh?
    well my initial reaction to all this wackiness was i have been scarred on sambuca years ago by one too many South Philly Joey Bagadonuts blowing licorice breath in my face growing up...but that 15 yrs old bottle sure sounds intriguing. mmm mmm. We expect constant updates Aaron!!!

i'm just s'posing the coffee bean is to give a bitterness vs the sweetness of the drink. would be really good if you cracked it I think, to let the flavor out a little. I hate munching coffee beans the flavor is ok but the mouthfeel is awful and its worse than flossing after popcorn.

I'm still liking the butterscotch for *my* flask - i need something to taste yummy deep into a ride.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

Not a Barry supporter.
    At first I thought you were talking about the candy and I was going to mention that I make awesome chocolate / butterscotch chip cookies. I've never had butterscotch schnapps but I bet it's sure tasty. Gotta check it out sometime.

I'm a Seagram's man myself. Is there anything better than a nice chilled 7n7 after a long stressful day at work?

And CoyoteKis...I'm Italiano...
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

mtbr member
    well my initial reaction to all this wackiness was i have been scarred on sambuca years ago by one too many South Philly Joey Bagadonuts blowing licorice breath in my face growing up...but that 15 yrs old bottle sure sounds intriguing. mmm mmm. We expect constant updates Aaron!!!

i'm just s'posing the coffee bean is to give a bitterness vs the sweetness of the drink. would be really good if you cracked it I think, to let the flavor out a little. I hate munching coffee beans the flavor is ok but the mouthfeel is awful and its worse than flossing after popcorn.

I'm still liking the butterscotch for *my* flask - i need something to taste yummy deep into a ride.
    Yeah butterscotch is a good mid ride, before the gnarly dh warm up. Loosen up babay....

mtbr member
    A while back on a cool night ride Alan S and I had a nice flask of Tuaca at the top of the climb past secret where Corona Loma dumps out. Made for an interesting ride back to the car, kinda spacey and flowey....

"Yabut"
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannonball
    A while back on a cool night ride Alan S and I had a nice flask of Tuaca at the top of the climb past secret where Corona Loma dumps out. Made for an interesting ride back to the car, kinda spacey and flowey....
    Oh yeah! Tuaca is tasty! That's another one I'll add to the list.
    ~Aaron~

www.CosmicRaces.com

AKA shitbird
    Sambuca eh? I'll have to try this stuff out....always looking for a new flavor
    JRA

wretch
    Coffee bean. . . stands for something like health, happiness, and prospierty, it's just a garnish, can be chewed, and if toasted can add a subtle flavour.

Chilling out
    winter: MacAllan 12 or older. (winter defined as temps below 55F)
    summer: Rum, 10-12 or older, lots of good stuff. Bonus points for darker.

note: if you go for ice-cream after a summer ride, pouring some rum over it really completes the taste sensation. :P

mtbr member
    I just got into a bottle of MacAllan cask strength. Tasty!

Pivotal figure
    Not sure that I've had MacAllan, too many to keep track of. I've been drinking a bit of ElDorado rum though. 15 years old and oh so tasty. I'm getting thirsty just thinking about it

Chilling out
    Mac Cask is my fav, but not often on the "buy" list. ;^(

mtbr member
    Limoncello - I firsted tasted this while in Italy a few years ago. Just found it in Costco and it will be gracing my flask soon at the Pagosa hot springs after a "hard" day's boarding!

aka Diesel
    well my initial reaction to all this wackiness was i have been scarred on sambuca years ago by one too many South Philly Joey Bagadonuts blowing licorice breath in my face growing up...
    Oh gawd! I died laughing when I read this. And you just forever ruined my (apparently false) vibe of thinkin' I was all uptown and grown-up for drinking an Italian liqueur. BOO!!!

aka Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash_FLMB
    And CoyoteKis...I'm Italiano...
    Oh and don't I know it! It's what makes you so d@mn good in the... ... kitchen! hehe

:-X

aka Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckee Trash
    Coffee bean. . . stands for something like health, happiness, and prospierty, it's just a garnish, can be chewed, and if toasted can add a subtle flavour.
    Yeah, I got curious, so after my post asking about it, looked up why it's even in there. Love what it stands for!

But given I agree with the point that Jason made the point about how chewing it really isn't all that pleasant, in the future I am going to work around the beans, which always try to end up in my nose anyway, the buoyant little buggers. It was always a conflict of interest anyway, with the sambuca making my eyes go half-mast, and then the coffee beans amping me back up.

mtbr member
    I don't think so. My SO's boss, before recently moving to SC, dropped off his entire liquor suppply, which he bought when he was in the Army (including the very first bottle of liquor he every bought: an unopened bottle of So Co). I think the stuff was at least 30 years old. Included in the batch was some Sambuca, which we eventually had a small nip. And as you can see, I'm still alive...barely.

mtbr member
    Okay, and if anyone knows the "coffee bean etiquette", I feel like a hick asking this, but are you supposed to eat the coffee bean? I mean, you know, I always do! But I'd hate to be "that girl" crunching away on the bean, when it's only for flavor... hmmm... Ah what the hell.. I don't care... I like to eat the bean at the end. Consider it my java-worm.
    I do. The first--and only?--time I had a coffee bean was at some Italian restaurant on 16th St (name escapes me), and they gave you a free shot with dinner. I had no idea what to do with the bean, so I ate it .

If you make the ride after the doc gives me the okay to start riding, count me in, and I'll bring my 30 yr old bottle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by supermoto
    Limoncello - I firsted tasted this while in Italy a few years ago. Just found it in Costco and it will be gracing my flask soon at the Pagosa hot springs after a "hard" day's boarding!
    A friend of mine just dropped off a homemade batch of lemoncello for us Friday (it's vodka, lemon zest, and some sugar mix). It's in the freezer right now, and will be trying it this weekend.

Be sure to try it while sitting in the Lobster Pot.

I ride with tools

Ick!

Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit
    Howzabout Smores Schnapps
    That sounds SO nasty! But then I tried to eat a S'mores Luna Bar last week and was very traumatized by the experience.

"Yabut"
    Quote Originally Posted by supermoto
    After C gave this suggestion, I looked up how to make it. This is not the best description of how to make it, but it's HILARIOUS! I didn't hear "Joey Bagadonuts", but I expected it at any second. http://video.google.com/videosearch?...um=4&ct=title#
    ~Aaron~

www.CosmicRaces.com

Pivotal figure

Gimme S'More!

The origin of smore schnapps....
    Attached Images Attached Images

aka Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire

If you make the ride after the doc gives me the okay to start riding, count me in, and I'll bring my 30 yr old bottle.
    Well if the Sambuca can wait 30 years to be consumed, then we certainly can too! Wait for you, that is!

Members who have read this thread: 0