mtbr member

Budget Behemoth / Total Transformation!!

It's your fault Enel!! I am now full tilt Behemoth berserk!!

I built up the budget Behemoth, and then bought an Orange Moth for my girlfriend from Bonesetter2004. Haven't built it up yet though.

Then I asked Enel a fork question, and he tells me this guy in Colorado has a Behemoth for sale that is too small for him. Next thing you know, it's in my garage!! I could not resist it. I got the budget Behemoth recently, but it was the long chain stay model, and a large. This is the short chainstay model in medium. How could I say no to $1250 shipped!!!

It is in almost new condition, and the guy shipped it super fast, and he packed it to endure a nuclear attack. Can't say enough about how good the guy was to deal with. Top notch all the way.

Thanks again Enel. First the deal on the wheels and fork for the Budget Behemoth, and now you point me to a lovely new Behemoth. What's going on here? Either you are recruiting new Behemoth Cult members, or you want me. Now I know how you roll. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

With all kidding aside, I present to you "Black Betty".

Tucson, AZ
    Very nice.

Kathleen in AZ
    Oooooo! I'm curious to hear your opinions of the comparison between the long and short chainstay versions of your moth. Now if only my moth were functional. At the moment, both my WB and my Manitou are down for repairs. Congrats on landing yet another killer deal on a great frame!

pst... adjustible seatpost! Do it, you will not be sorry.

mtbr member
    That's a sexy frame!
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

mtbr member
    I am building it right now, swapping off everything from the Budget Behemoth. I have a 4 day weekend, so it will be tested!! I can't wait to try some technical climbs on it!! I am really anxious to get Sharon out on hers as well.

One thing I am not swapping over from the original build on the Behemoth is the BB-7 brakes. I did not like the way they locked up too easy, so I put on a pair of Hayes 9's, and am swapping them over instead, because they have excellent feel, and I can finesse them down steep loose junk much easier.

I do plan on a gravity dropper down the road. I think I am going to like the short chainstays, and shorter, more nimble frame as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cstem
    That's a sexy frame!
    Ha!!! You sound like my girlfriend!!

She was out in the garage going "Ooohhh baby, that is sexxxxyyy!!"

Powered by ice cream.
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    At the moment, both my WB and my Manitou are down for repairs.
    Do yourself a favor and dump both those forks when they return and get a Reba.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

Plus size jersey model
    Sweet. Will love to hear how it handles up and down Golden Gate. That trail always seems to be a great place to test out a new bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigworm520
    Sweet. Will love to hear how it handles up and down Golden Gate. That trail always seems to be a great place to test out a new bike.
    I am anxious to try that route on it. I was up til 2am last night putting it together. Had to do some derailleur mods and stuff. Had to do a few things to it this morning, so it was already hot when we got out on the trail, but got in a decent test ride.

You probably know the trail we rode. We rode from Sarasota, up through the V, and to the top of the saddle just north of Cat Mountain. Then we turned north and went up over that rough, rocky climb towards Krein, (which I cleaned) and back over NW to the trail that goes to Yetman wash. Then we did Acupunture and around to the water tower and home.

I really like the short CS!! This thing grabs traction like crazy, yet I had no problem keeping the front on line. I remember saying that the Long CS Behemoth felt like a big wheeled Motolite, but I was wrong. THIS feels like a big wheeled Motolite. The inch shorter wheelbase felt more nimble, and it climbed great. Not as sensitive to position as the long CS model, and when you lift off the seat, there is no loss of traction.

So if it climbs better it surely can't go down better? Wrong It is much easier to get the weight back when dropping down stair steppy rock faces. Just scoot way back and roll on down. Very safe feeling.

I am 5'10" tall and have always been between a medium and a large because of my long legs. But my arms are short so I usually go large and put on a short stem, which is how I ride my Motolite. This time I elected to go to the Medium size and it feels great. I don't feel like I am on the wrong size. I like the shorter wheelbase than what the Long CS in size large had. This is a keeper!!

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by twowheelsdown2002
    I am anxious to try that route on it. I was up til 2am last night putting it together. Had to do some derailleur mods and stuff. Had to do a few things to it this morning, so it was already hot when we got out on the trail, but got in a decent test ride.

You probably know the trail we rode. We rode from Sarasota, up through the V, and to the top of the saddle just north of Cat Mountain. Then we turned north and went up over that rough, rocky climb towards Krein, (which I cleaned) and back over NW to the trail that goes to Yetman wash. Then we did Acupunture and around to the water tower and home.

I really like the short CS!! This thing grabs traction like crazy, yet I had no problem keeping the front on line. I remember saying that the Long CS Behemoth felt like a big wheeled Motolite, but I was wrong. THIS feels like a big wheeled Motolite. The inch shorter wheelbase felt more nimble, and it climbed great. Not as sensitive to position as the long CS model, and when you lift off the seat, there is no loss of traction.

So if it climbs better it surely can't go down better? Wrong It is much easier to get the weight back when dropping down stair steppy rock faces. Just scoot way back and roll on down. Very safe feeling.

I am 5'10" tall and have always been between a medium and a large because of my long legs. But my arms are short so I usually go large and put on a short stem, which is how I ride my Motolite. This time I elected to go to the Medium size and it feels great. I don't feel like I am on the wrong size. I like the shorter wheelbase than what the Long CS in size large had. This is a keeper!!
    Ahhh... so now you've experienced the super secret powers of a Lenz 29er.... Enjoy!! Don't forget to post up a pic of your wife's orange moth!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    Ahhh... so now you've experienced the super secret powers of a Lenz 29er.... Enjoy!! Don't forget to post up a pic of your wife's orange moth!
    I do like the Moth super powers.

Sharon is not my wife, but we jokingly refer to each other as "spousal equivalent"

I would have to say that getting her a Behemoth is a definite show of commitment!! I think of our matching bikes as our "rings of matrimony" in a sense. Sure beats a wedding ring!! And riding together is a much better way to bring togetherness than any ring can do.

Here is a picture of it as it sits in her office tantalizing her constantly.

Members who have read this thread: 0