Browns Ranch - Pima & Dynamite update- Mtbr.com
    Just another half mile...

Browns Ranch - Pima & Dynamite update

Hey all,

Here is a little update on the Phase 3 trails in the Pima & Dynamite area. The trail builder is basically done for this year, but was able to complete Corridors A & B in order to get peeps who park at the temporary trailhead at P&D out into the north and east parts of the park. Signs are going up to help peeps find their way.

Trailforks has been updated to show the current trails in the P&D area.

Here is a fun little loop that I rode for a quick turn and burn. Very reminiscent of the old P&D days. The ride back from the high point on Wranger back to the P&D TH via Rustler and the new Corr A is a blast very similar to the old Roller Coaster trail.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/ac...qf75mx6h0.link

Go get some before is gets hot!

mtbr member
    Going on Sunday would you be able to post a screen shot image of the new trails? Didn't find the updates on trailfork..

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Quote Originally Posted by broncbuster View Post
    Going on Sunday would you be able to post a screen shot image of the new trails? Didn't find the updates on trailfork..
    I didnít see it at first, but then it updated / refreshed and Corridor A & B both showed up.

Thanks for the update, Dale!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    MTBR: Your dad's online mountain bike forum.

mtbr member
    Thx BL couldnt get it to update but doing a search for corridors A & B loads each one temporarily so got a few screen shots for quick reference.

Awesome thx ER...

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Weird, mine just show up as trails on the map in that area, I didnít have to search anything. Oh well, have fun! Iím going to try and get out there tomorrow myself.

mtbr member
    They both look more like destination trails to me rather than corridors. Hope they're on the fast side...

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Rode Corridor B today N and S, lot of fun. Not that familiar with Browns trails, but having ridden most of the W side stuff recently felt like it was a great addition. Will definitely take it over Axle Grease which relatively speaking I found to be an exercise in slow flat loose frustration the couple times I've ridden it north (haven't headed S on it).

Only just finally exploring Browns as I've slowly gone more XC from (originally) a DH background and had dismissed it due to others' thoughts...I've found it's great, just in a different way vs the gnar I'm used to.

mtbr member
    I guess Im no Daniel Boone. Plan was to ride counter clockwise up Corridor A but mistakenly thought the trails were marked already anyway took the wrong fork and rather than double back just rode the Powerline road #2 to Browns Ranch road to Corridor B TH which is where Hawksnest trail use to tee Brown's ranch road but now intersects it. Rode it for a while but same deal though ended going up Browns Mountain trail so decided to scratch that and rode back Axel grease favorite trail at this time and plenty fast. Have to try the corridors again maybe clockwise next time when I have more patience..

Closekids.com
    I guess Im no Daniel Boone. Plan was to ride counter clockwise up Corridor A but mistakenly thought the trails were marked already anyway took the wrong fork and rather than double back just rode the Powerline road #2 to Browns Ranch road to Corridor B TH which is where Hawksnest trail use to tee Brown's ranch road but now intersects it. Rode it for a while but same deal though ended going up Browns Mountain trail so decided to scratch that and rode back Axel grease favorite trail at this time and plenty fast. Have to try the corridors again maybe clockwise next time when I have more patience..
    If Axel Grease is your favorite...I'd like to intro you to some new trails out there
    Try Great Divide or the Diablos, or High Desert to Renegade West to East...But you may hate those...YMMV. Glad you are enjoying them.
    Me to my riding buddy, "Want to ride this afternoon?"
    Him, "I can't. I have to chop this guys foot off at 2".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomingSooner View Post
    If Axel Grease is your favorite...I'd like to intro you to some new trails out there
    Try Great Divide or the Diablos, or High Desert to Renegade West to East...But you may hate those...YMMV. Glad you are enjoying them.
    No hate have rode those and high desert is to my liking but east to west. Thanks for the tip bruv...

mtbr member
    No hate have rode those and high desert is to my liking but east to west. Thanks for the tip bruv...
    What is the new corridor trail 'A' like?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by seandm View Post
    What is the new corridor trail 'A' like?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
    Didnt ride much but looks to be an existing trail that has been worked in places it gets you into the boulder area. Lots of tire tracks and some new sign post (only) are in place so wouldn't think it will be too long before the signs are up.

Corr A uses a lot of the existing trails except for the new section from the south end of MTV up to Hackamore. So itís a lot of old school P&D.

Corr B also uses a bunch of old trails with a few reroutes. The biggest reroute was around the steep and eroded section of Old West Express (which was left in place for now). Then routed over to the Old Flower Garden trails on the south side of the power lines and then up and over a small ridge line to connect to Hawnest. There was talk about Corr B becoming an extension of Hawknest. Dara Sarah will remain mostly as is with some cleanups and a couple of short reroutes in the center area where there a couple of severely eroded sections.

The fate of Old Bail Out and MTV are yet to be determined. West and East Flower Garden trails will most likely get replaced with a new Corr F trail somewhere in between to connect Cone Mtn with Axle Grease.

There will be a new loops or loops that will be built snaking in and around the boulder fields in between Dara Sarah and Corr B and will be slow and techy and should be lots of fun.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Dale,
    If there hasn't been a final decision re: MTV, I really hope they keep it. It rides really well 'as is', but I could see some minor cleanup for drainage purposes. If you have any say in the matter, try and make it stay!! And, if it does stay, leave the TV out there!!

Also, if you guys are using the Trailforks app, don't forget to re-sync the AZ map. That would cause any new changes to not show up immediately. Goto 'Settings' - 'Downloaded Regions' and then hit the refresh icon.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Got out there a checked it out with my 8 yo old. She has previously only ridden Axle Grease. ďDad can we go ride the twisties?Ē

She got to ride some rocks for the first time. Coached her down the rock slab at the top of Corridor A. Good stuff!

The fate of MTV and Old Bail Out will be determined next fall once the trail builder comes back, and will depend on how Corridors C & D get routed along with the inner Boulder loop. The trail planning committee will be involved in the routing of C & D. Right now both trails run parallel to each other and part of the preserve goals is to provide adequate habitat space in between trails. My guess one of them will go, and part of each may be incorporated into C. I have been pushing to keep as much of the existing trails in this area, and was able to keep a lot of existing for Corr A & B.

Quote Originally Posted by schillingsworth View Post
    Dale,
    If there hasn't been a final decision re: MTV, I really hope they keep it. It rides really well 'as is', but I could see some minor cleanup for drainage purposes. If you have any say in the matter, try and make it stay!! And, if it does stay, leave the TV out there!!

Also, if you guys are using the Trailforks app, don't forget to re-sync the AZ map. That would cause any new changes to not show up immediately. Goto 'Settings' - 'Downloaded Regions' and then hit the refresh icon.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveo View Post
    Got out there a checked it out with my 8 yo old. She has previously only ridden Axle Grease. ďDad can we go ride the twisties?Ē

She got to ride some rocks for the first time. Coached her down the rock slab at the top of Corridor A. Good stuff!
    A great ride for a child is starting over at Granite Mtn TH. The climb up Granite may be hard, but then you just go on the front of there and Cholla mtn. Hit amphitheater, balanced rock and all the cool formations so kids can play.

I also like Browns Parking Area up Latigo til the 2-track, then work your way back through Cholla, Maverick and the single track that goes in front of Brown's Mtn.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

mtbr member
    Got to ride some more of corridor B yesterday, again its not what I would call a corridor and its similar to some of the easier diablo trails at least the western part I rode. Some rain on it would be nice to compact the banks but a nice addition. The thing I like about P&D is you can ride 5-6 miles uphill using powerline road #1 which is probably the shortest/fastest way to get to the east end of the preserve and really more of a corridor except for some wash areas that suck but then hit the trails for all pretty much downhill back to the parking. West express is a fun roller-coaster then axle grease for some fairly fast twisty stuff. P&D really is more suited for MTBers than hikers or equestrian riders IMO..

Corr A & B are just temporary manes until the City officially names the trails that run along Corridors A & B. Most likely Corr B will be renamed as Hawknest since it ties directly into Hawknest at the north end. Not sure what Corr A will be renamed too. Also, why would one ride up the ugly powerline road when there is more fun singletrack to ride next to it.

Got to ride some more of corridor B yesterday, again its not what I would call a corridor and its similar to some of the easier diablo trails at least the western part I rode. Some rain on it would be nice to compact the banks but a nice addition. The thing I like about P&D is you can ride 5-6 miles uphill using powerline road #1 which is probably the shortest/fastest way to get to the east end of the preserve and really more of a corridor except for some wash areas that suck but then hit the trails for all pretty much downhill back to the parking. West express is a fun roller-coaster then axle grease for some fairly fast twisty stuff. P&D really is more suited for MTBers than hikers or equestrian riders IMO..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicrider View Post
    Corr A & B are just temporary manes until the City officially names the trails that run along Corridors A & B. Most likely Corr B will be renamed as Hawknest since it ties directly into Hawknest at the north end. Not sure what Corr A will be renamed too. Also, why would one ride up the ugly powerline road when there is more fun singletrack to ride next to it.
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but seriously like to get to the high point as fast as possible and then the singletrack is more fun with gravity on your side.. duh

mtbr member
    Rode Stagecoach - West express - Axle grease yesterday. Pretty much everything you could hope for as far as trail riding. Rained out there since last weekend and the trails where perfect.

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Rode Stagecoach - West express - Axle grease yesterday. Pretty much everything you could hope for as far as trail riding. Rained out there since last weekend and the trails where perfect.
    I love that route as a finish, curious how you got up there (which route) and where you parked? Always looking for a new loop.

mtbr member
    I just ride the powerline #1 road from P&D. About 6 miles pay to Stagecoach for about 10 payback..
    Quote Originally Posted by blaklabl View Post
    I love that route as a finish, curious how you got up there (which route) and where you parked? Always looking for a new loop.

Just A Mountain Biker.
    I just ride the powerline #1 road from P&D. About 6 miles pay to Stagecoach for about 10 payback..
    Cool, thanks. I've been tying in some Hackamore/Cone/Corridor B/Hawknest/Stagecoach and back down, you're right it doesn't get much better than that!

mtbr member
    No problem...Your route sounds pretty ambitious especially this time year..
    Cool, thanks. I've been tying in some Hackamore/Cone/Corridor B/Hawknest/Stagecoach and back down, you're right it doesn't get much better than that!

For a ripping good fun, try Wrangler from Browns Ranch Rd, then hook onto Rustler than Corridor A. Has a much steep gradient, is a fast ride. See Garmin route in my first post.

Here are few pics from a couple of rides over the last few weekends in the P&D area.

Browns Ranch - Pima & Dynamite update-31472578_10204350558720872_6434916905642885120_o.jpg

Browns Ranch - Pima & Dynamite update-31445137_10204350556520817_3206439183795093504_o.jpg

Browns Ranch - Pima & Dynamite update-31408273_10204350557200834_4273706220042321920_o.jpg

Browns Ranch - Pima & Dynamite update-31939749_10204374358515852_573265086181801984_o.jpg

Browns Ranch - Pima & Dynamite update-31949591_10204374356235795_4692376939111907328_o.jpg

Browns Ranch - Pima & Dynamite update-31946975_10204374355915787_9139103408412688384_o.jpg

Browns Ranch - Pima & Dynamite update-31530930_10204374353755733_5548459308133384192_o.jpg

Browns Ranch - Pima & Dynamite update-31947740_10204374355155768_472137710375534592_o.jpg

livin' the dream......
    That looks too easy and so boring..................
    Less f*cks to give every passing day, use them well. - geraldooka

mtbr member
    Looks exactly like what I need. But maybe next fall. Nice work out there!

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Looks exactly like what I need. But maybe next fall. Nice work out there!
    dont text, dont call, i dont want to ride with you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    dont text, dont call, i dont want to ride with you.
    Did someone pee in your cheerio's this morning? Let's ride! But I need 4 more weeks for my collarbone to heal.

More fun stuff coming to Brown's Ranch trails. Went out on a walk about yesterday with the City of Scottsdale and the trail planning committee that I am on to help plan the trails out there. We walked several flag lines and some of the new trail that is being built through the boulder piles. Good stuff coming! The goal is to get as much of the Phase 3 trail completed this season.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Browns Ranch - Pima & Dynamite update-20181214_162956-r.jpg  

Browns Ranch - Pima & Dynamite update-20181214_162009.jpg  

Browns Ranch - Pima & Dynamite update-20181214_162128.jpg  

Browns Ranch - Pima & Dynamite update-20181214_162156.jpg  

Browns Ranch - Pima & Dynamite update-20181214_162534.jpg  

Browns Ranch - Pima & Dynamite update-20181214_162622.jpg  

Browns Ranch - Pima & Dynamite update-20181214_162651.jpg  

Browns Ranch - Pima & Dynamite update-20181214_163013.jpg  

mtbr member
    Right on! I really like the new stuff that's going in. Kudos and thanks for all the hard work

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    @epicrider. I've heard of Detroit Rock City at Brown's.
    Pointe me in the right direction?

There is no official trail called Detroit Rock City. That might be referring to the rock pile that is designated on the Trail Corridor Plan as Area K, which is shown as K-rock on Trail Forks off of Latigo about a mile NE of the P&D parking lot. The K-rock area still needs to be routed and built, but there be some fun routes on and around the rock pile. There are a couple of lines off the top now.

One of the current lines off the top that I showed the builders to incorporate into the K-rock loops. The exit from this line needs to be routed and improved when the builders get there sometime later this spring.
    Name:  kRock.jpg
Views: 1713
Size:  53.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by #mtnbykr View Post
    @epicrider. I've heard of Detroit Rock City at Brown's.
    Pointe me in the right direction?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Thx. I've rode the K rock trails. The new alignment looks like fun.

livin' the dream......
    I am really enjoying the 'new' stuff out of the Pima Dynamite TH. This is the very first place I rode when I moved here 17 years ago. Going further and further out each time, exploring and learning how to move around out there, and return in one piece.

So far, I am very pleased with all of the new trails and reroutes. It is fun to ride it, and thanks to Dale and COS for putting in the time to lay down some quality trails.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Been exploring more on the west side of browns and it never seems to disappoint (at least til i get pointed back uphill.) Need to install a lift from p&d back to hawknest/divide so i can just run that downhill on repeat all day long.

Axle grease was a nice bonus last weekend too. Kinda worried that im starting to run out of new stuff though.Browns Ranch - Pima & Dynamite update-screenshot_20181218-020605_samsung-internet.jpg

My other ride is your mom
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoreau View Post
    Been exploring more on the west side of browns and it never seems to disappoint (at least til i get pointed back uphill.) Need to install a lift from p&d back to hawknest/divide so i can just run that downhill on repeat all day long.

Axle grease was a nice bonus last weekend too. Kinda worried that im starting to run out of new stuff though.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20181218-020605_Samsung Internet.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	207.3 KB 
ID:	1229564
    Thoreau, is this your personal heat map or the heat map for all users in the area?

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    Thoreau, is this your personal heat map or the heat map for all users in the area?
    My own

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Trailforks has a cool feature related to heatmaps. I have my Strava rides set to auto-import to Trailforks. The ride data is analyzed and trails are marked as 'ridden', then on your profile page a pin is placed for each trail ridden. It's a cool way to see what you haven't been on. Plus, you can see all your rides highlighted on the map and they are selectable. This is my map from the profile page:
    Browns Ranch - Pima & Dynamite update-tf_trailsridden.jpg

Here's a zoomed in view of Brown's Ranch:
    Browns Ranch - Pima & Dynamite update-tf_trailsriddenbr.jpg
    My Two Schillingsworth

Your heat map doesn't show any of the trails up un the TNF. Surprised you haven't venture up there to explore. There are some fun trails up there, and also some really crappy trails too. Will take a some time to find out which ones are worth while. It been years since I ventured up there, and my guess the motos have ridden more trails than what I mapped. I think your the man to venture up there and add the fun stuff to TF.

Here's a zoomed in view of Brown's Ranch:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TF_TrailsRiddenBR.JPG 
Views:	94 
Size:	110.0 KB 
ID:	1229589

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Yeah, it's one of those blank spots on my heat map!! I've wanted to get up there an explore a bit, just never seem to set aside the time.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Any plans (any time soon) for a new trail to access axle grease from the Pima and dynamite parking lot instead of the connector trail?

Yes there are plans to construct a new trail up to Axle Grease from the new TH building once it gets built starting some time next year or the year after.

Any plans (any time soon) for a new trail to access axle grease from the Pima and dynamite parking lot instead of the connector trail?

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Mother of god the new stuff is nice... Stumbled across one of the new chunks by chance today. Kinda seems like Diablo, but m0ar betters by far. Then another section I had to backtrack due to dead-ending at the trail building equipment.

Can't wait for it to all go live and be mapped so I can reliably find my way and try the new trails at speed =)

mtbr member
    Yes there are plans to construct a new trail up to Axle Grease from the new TH building once it gets built starting some time next year or the year after.
    Thx...

Mother of god the new stuff is nice... Stumbled across one of the new chunks by chance today. Kinda seems like Diablo, but m0ar betters by far. Then another section I had to backtrack due to dead-ending at the trail building equipment.

Can't wait for it to all go live and be mapped so I can reliably find my way and try the new trails at speed =)
    Sounds like the newer Hawknest trail if so some of that is on the fall 2018 current map. Obviously not the trail being built that tees off that though...

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Sounds like the newer Hawknest trail if so some of that is on the fall 2018 current map. Obviously not the trail being built that tees off that though...
    Almost. There are 3 new trails in that area, they link into the southern end of Hawksnest. They are on Trailforks as: New trail, NT2 & NT3 - super original names for now. NT3 continues across one of the dirt roads for about a mile, but as stated, dead ends at the dozer.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Agreed...the 'new trails' are a ton of fun. Really well out together.

Met Dale out there for the first time today...sure appreciate all of his efforts!!!

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk
    I may not be very fast...but I sure am slow!!!

livin' the dream......

Sounds like I rode the same sections you did yesterday too. Found the trail building toys and had to back track. The rocky sections before that were very cool. I still see other flag lines out there that are not cut in yet, this is amazing!

mtbr member
    My hats off to the trail builders, the new stuff they have been putting in is a blast. Referring to the newer stuff that they have added over the last week connecting the trails on the east side of the powerlines to the trails connecting to hawksnest - Very well thought !

Only question I have is there is an old part of P&D trails off of trail C they seemed to avoid, are they planning on incorporating that somewhere down the line?

I had to look at my old fat tire book as Dales maps are no longer up it seems. It was the old section of Dare A Sarah that went up that hill between a boulder pile and then ran down into the wash below.

parenting for gnarness
    Finally got out there. Worked my way mostly up Hawksnest, exploring whatever spurs I found and much of the new Trails on trailforks. Hawksnest and all the similar routing through the rocks is fun and very pretty, but nothing technical other than K Rock. I was hoping for more rock challenges like Diablo and Coyote Canyon, which are themselves only beginner to intermediate rock challenges. Anyone have a current gpx or description of some good routes?

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I too rode the new stuff on Saturday. No disrespect. But I found it meh. I think I can see what the idea was. But I found it too twisty to really ďflowĒ. Donít get me wrong. Itís great work. Just wasnít my cup of tea I find it odd that a mere few boulders in a trail that in other trails you wouldnít blink at, designate a trail as black diamond at Browns. Who determines a trail difficulty rating?

The new trails are intended to provide more variety so they are not all the same. Yes they are twisty through the boulders, which was by design. There are plenty of other trails out there are are all the same that have that that flow you are looking for. I had asked John to give the new trails a black rating on TF until they get completed and signed with trail names. This was to help keep novice peeps from getting over their head and modifying (dumbing) down the trails before they are signed properly. Difficulty is all relevant to the trails in the area. The new trails off of Hawk Nest are more difficult that most of the other blue trails in the Browns ranch area, which is why they are shown as black for now. The ratings may change once they are all completed and signed. There is not a lot of big terrain out there and the builder is doing the best with what they have to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by Five0 View Post
    I too rode the new stuff on Saturday. No disrespect. But I found it meh. I think I can see what the idea was. But I found it too twisty to really ďflowĒ. Donít get me wrong. Itís great work. Just wasnít my cup of tea I find it odd that a mere few boulders in a trail that in other trails you wouldnít blink at, designate a trail as black diamond at Browns. Who determines a trail difficulty rating?

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I hear you. By no means did I intend trash talk the trails. They are really nice. The black rating for now makes sense.

livin' the dream......
    Digging the new granite trails under the power lines.

Epicrider - I may have asked this before, but do you anticipate the City doing any work to the Central and South area trails in the near future? I wonder what the current trail system coming out of Gateway would like if it were being put in now, vs. 8-10 years ago. I think there are some real opportunities for re-routes and high connections.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by tjkm View Post
    Digging the new granite trails under the power lines.
    Concur, bigly...

Browns Ranch - Pima & Dynamite update-pl1.jpg

Browns Ranch - Pima & Dynamite update-pl2.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by tjkm View Post
    Sounds like I rode the same sections you did yesterday too. Found the trail building toys and had to back track. The rocky sections before that were very cool. I still see other flag lines out there that are not cut in yet, this is amazing!
    Went back and checked my route from that ride, and I'm pretty sure the spot I hit with equipment was farther east of the 3 'new trail' segments on tf. a spur that comes off of 'old bail out', and dead ended to the southwest.

So much goodness out there it's hard to keep track of, especially for someone like me who fails miserably at navigation in most situations.

I do hope that they aren't planning to 'upgrade' the P&D trailhead though. It's already getting really packed, and would probably only get worse if not for the unpaved lot. Still pissed about the overhaul at Granite Mountain TH too. What schmuck aligned the parking spots under the saggiest bit of the HV lines? In the right spot, the rock sliders on my truck try to give my knees a pretty stern jolt if I lean into the vehicle to get something =) Also loving how a carbon bike in a hitch rack vibrates as i run my hand over it when under the lines, and my chain tries to murder me by electrocution if i dare clean it while the bike is on said rack. All in all, that money shoulda just been sent to trail work. Much MUCH better bang for the buck compared to more shitters and ramadas and crap.

mtbr member
    Went back and checked my route from that ride, and I'm pretty sure the spot I hit with equipment was farther east of the 3 'new trail' segments on tf. a spur that comes off of 'old bail out', and dead ended to the southwest.

So much goodness out there it's hard to keep track of, especially for someone like me who fails miserably at navigation in most situations.

I do hope that they aren't planning to 'upgrade' the P&D trailhead though. It's already getting really packed, and would probably only get worse if not for the unpaved lot. Still pissed canabout the overhaul at Granite Mountain TH too. What schmuck aligned the parking spots under the saggiest bit of the HV lines? In the right spot, the rock sliders on my truck try to give my knees a pretty stern jolt if I lean into the vehicle to get something =) Also loving how a carbon bike in a hitch rack vibrates as i run my hand over it when under the lines, and my chain tries to murder me by electrocution if i dare clean it while the bike is on said rack. All in all, that money shoulda just been sent to trail work. Much MUCH better bang for the buck compared to more shitters and ramadas and crap.
    For fun that would have been a good place for the horse trailer
    parking..

There's a lot of work planned for the Pima and dynamite Trailhead parking lot also...

Yep, the new trailhead is under design and should start construction later this year. The new TH will be located just west of the powerlines. See site master plan. The existing dirt parking area will be used for overflow. The sooner the better to reduce the amount of TP blowing in the wind...

Browns Ranch - Pima & Dynamite update-trailhead-site-plan-large.jpg

For fun that would have been a good place for the horse trailer
    parking..

There's a lot of work planned for the Pima and dynamite Trailhead parking lot also...

Latest update for the Phase 3 trails. Since we had all that awesome rain this season the trail builder was able to build most of the Phase 3 trail this season except for the K area rock pile. There are a bunch of new trails out there that will offer a good variety of trail experience and loop variations from the P&D TH. A lot of the old moto trails that are Trail Forks in the P& D area have been obliterated and TF will need to be updated. In the mean time I have updated my old map with the new trails in the P&D area. Green trails are system trails and red dashed are the obliterated old trails for reference.

Go out and get some!

Browns Ranch - Pima & Dynamite update-p-d-trail-update-4-14-19.jpg

Closekids.com
    Thanks for the update. I've ridden quite a few times out there and could easily run the trail forks app if that records the ride and uploads it as well. I'm in search of a good sequence for the new stuff! It is easy to get lost, ride the same thing twice or miss something good altogether.

Very grateful for the new builds!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Excellent news Dale!!! Thank you for all of your efforts out at Brown's and elsewhere.
    Pretty hard to get lost out there. Trailforks will be updated soon enough.
    Looking forward to riding out there tomorrow morning. :-)

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk
    I may not be very fast...but I sure am slow!!!

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomingSooner View Post
    Thanks for the update. I've ridden quite a few times out there and could easily run the trail forks app if that records the ride and uploads it as well. I'm in search of a good sequence for the new stuff! It is easy to get lost, ride the same thing twice or miss something good altogether.
    Trailforks can record & upload a ride. When you open the app, the big yellow circle with the + on it records the ride. If you use Strava, you can then sync your Trailforks ridelog to upload to Strava automatically. I've been in the habit of recording it on Strava and having it auto populate to Trailforks. Doesn't really matter. You just can't record on both apps at the same time, if for some reason you wanted to. I tried it once as a test and failed.
    My Two Schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade2 View Post
    ER I find it interesting how you have continued to produce your own map of certain areas rather than just update a Trailforks or MTB Project database. For Browns Ranch you could have pimped out one of the online apps and it could be shared with thousands of users rather than a limited few.

My goal has always been to provided mountain bikers with the best information to formulate a ride plan and once on that ride to be Albee to reorientate while on the ride when someone gets disorientated.

Do you do any updating of Trailforks or MTB Project for Brownís Ranch, so those databases are up to date?
    C'mon SB2, give Dale a break. His original maps a very well put together, they were one of, if not, the first gpx accurate maps of the area. (and a bunch of other areas too!) While Trailforks is great, along with some other trail apps, not one of them show the legacy trails at Pima/Dynamite as complete as Dale's map. So, it's real nice to see how the the new trail builds overlay on the moto trails. Only a handful of those are mapped on TF. It was beginning to get a little confusing on the app trying to determine if a moto trail was still legit or where an unmapped one led. Personally, I have no issue if Dale ever submits an update to TF. As long as his maps are updated, it's easy enough for myself or anyone for that matter, to update the app. I'd rather have Dale out there routing cool new lines than trying to make his map interactive with gpx downloads.

Just keep the Sedona updates coming, we all appreciate that!!
    My Two Schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS
    I scoured over Dale's map and compared it to Trailforks. There are quite a few missing gpx files for new trails. Here's the map showing the missing TF data circled in orange. If you have a ride with these trails, please submit it to TF. You can simply import a Strava ride and crop the route to the area in need. Please double check the track for any overlapping points and be sure the endpoints connect with the system. Just name it 'New Trail 6, 7, etc' until the official map is released with trail names.

I deleted the moto trails Dale marked as red dashed lines on his map. If I missed something, submit the change or let me know. Thanks for your assistance.

Browns Ranch - Pima & Dynamite update-p-d_missinggpx.jpg
    My Two Schillingsworth

Hey John,
    I will send you my GPX data of the missing tracks and provide and update on trail names that I know will change. The City is working on an updated map of the area with a slew of new trail names. Should be out by the end of summer.

I scoured over Dale's map and compared it to Trailforks. There are quite a few missing gpx files for new trails. Here's the map showing the missing TF data circled in orange. If you have a ride with these trails, please submit it to TF. You can simply import a Strava ride and crop the route to the area in need. Please double check the track for any overlapping points and be sure the endpoints connect with the system. Just name it 'New Trail 6, 7, etc' until the official map is released with trail names.

I deleted the moto trails Dale marked as red dashed lines on his map. If I missed something, submit the change or let me know. Thanks for your assistance.

Name:	P&D_MissingGPX.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	505.7 KB 
ID:	1246981

Ahhh the pain....
    Nice work gents...

Now hoping that after Life Behind Bars returns from the ban hammer driving range, he tee's up Traildick for the BS and needless S*dona mention.

FORE!!!!!!!

IPA tester
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    Nice work gents...

Now hoping that after Life Behind Bars returns from the ban hammer driving range, he tee's up Traildick for the BS and needless S*dona mention.

FORE!!!!!!!
    Tiger Woods came back
    "We'll ride it until they pave it."

-Urban Yeti
    Dirttreaders.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Name:	P&D_MissingGPX.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	505.7 KB 
ID:	1246981
    I tried for quite a long time to find the trail between axelgrease and hawks nest. It is the westernmost circle in Johnís map additions, between the number 20 and the word hawksnest. Anyone find it? While I was looking a trail steward came by to see if I needed help. He had a map app on his phone with a more detailed map than is in Trailforks. Anyone know what that one is?

The blue trail has not been built yet, but was flagged. To be constructed next fall.

The map app the the trail steward was using was probably Maprika with the PD Temp Summer 2019 downloaded. It shows most of the newly constructed trails overlaid on top of the City trail map.

Here is the latest City Trail Map, which be updated later this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by fbear View Post
    I tried for quite a long time to find the trail between axelgrease and hawks nest. It is the westernmost circle in Johnís map additions, between the number 20 and the word hawksnest. Anyone find it? While I was looking a trail steward came by to see if I needed help. He had a map app on his phone with a more detailed map than is in Trailforks. Anyone know what that one is?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

map with gps

The blue trail has not been built yet, but was flagged. To be constructed next fall.

The map app the the trail steward was using was probably Maprika with the PD Temp Summer 2019 downloaded. It shows most of the newly constructed trails overlaid on top of the City trail map.

Thanks for the link to the city map. However, the one the trail steward used showed my location on the map. Anyone know how to get that one?

recovering roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by fbear View Post
    Thanks for the link to the city map. However, the one the trail steward used showed my location on the map. Anyone know how to get that one?
    Download an app called Maprika (sometimes it's listed as "GPS on Ski Map") and then look at nearby maps - you'll probably be able to find the right one there.

Quote Originally Posted by dobbs View Post
    Download an app called Maprika (sometimes it's listed as "GPS on Ski Map") and then look at nearby maps - you'll probably be able to find the right one there.
    Download the "PD Temp Summer 2019" map in Maprika.

IPA tester
    ^^^Oh... I don't know... maybe because this thread is about Browns Ranch.
    "We'll ride it until they pave it."

-Urban Yeti
    Dirttreaders.com

parenting for gnarness
    So if this is a Browns Ranch thread why is Dale telling MTBR viewers to download the PD Temp Summer 2019 Map? Is Dale able to make his exceptional Browns Ranch map available on Maprika?
    The PD Temp map via Maprika will work great for Sedona. I tried it twice.

Ahhh the pain....
    yep, Maprika map works great for Sedona.

Just A Mountain Biker.
    SB Itís actually my preferred map for Sedona, you should try it

recovering roadie
    I guess it's inevitable.

Just A Mountain Biker.

Browns Ranch - Pima & Dynamite update

Blak I see about six differenent Sedona trail maps in Maprika none on them compare to Trailforks. Please do a screen shot of the Dry Creek area trails in Maprika and give the name of which map you are using. I see Dales 2015 map, but thatís way out of date. Thanks
    Not getting sucked into this.

Meatbomb
    Quote Originally Posted by dobbs View Post
    I guess it's inevitable.
    Yup....

Just A Mountain Biker.
    I find it interesting that the OP hasnít chimed in on whether his current map is available on Marika. In 2015 his Sedona map was made available to Marika, so I am assuming the same could or has been done for his current Brownís Ranch map.
    This is why we canít have nice things.

Ahhh the pain....
    What is Marika?

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    'tards be tarding up in this thread. Meanwhile, I'm just riding my bike all over those shiny new brown's ranch trails without issue or additional fancy apps. Yay trailforks, and an ability to also read the (not exactly complicated) maps posted in this thread.

Blak itís unfortunate that you arenít willing to provide the Sedona Maprika map information that you used while riding in Sedona. I personally doubt the Marika information you used was as up to date as the Trailforks database.

I am still curious if Daleís current up to date Brownís Ranch map is available on Marika?

Take it to pm's.
    "These things are very fancy commuter bikes or really bad dirt bikes, but they are not mountain bikes." - J. Mac

mtbr member
    Browns Ranch - Pima & Dynamite update-blocked.png

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by dsrt taco View Post

Name:	blocked.png 
Views:	21 
Size:	6.2 KB 
ID:	1249514

Well shit, now I need to block him too. Thanks for making me aware of that feature!

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Quote Originally Posted by life behind bars View Post
    Take it to pm's.
    Iím not taking anything to PMís, I didnít do anything wrong. I hope youíre directing that towards the never-ending-thread-ruiner that is SB. I canít believe he still hasnít been banned or given a time out, he adds nothing and only sucks the air out of this place.

Iím not taking anything to PMís, I didnít do anything wrong. I hope youíre directing that towards the never-ending-thread-ruiner that is SB. I canít believe he still hasnít been banned or given a time out, he adds nothing and only sucks the air out of this place.

It was aimed directly at the legend in his own mind who has been permabanned.
    "These things are very fancy commuter bikes or really bad dirt bikes, but they are not mountain bikes." - J. Mac

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Finally! Thank you.

Iím sure a game of whack-a-mole will now ensue though....

Finally! Thank you.

Iím sure a game of whack-a-mole will now ensue though....

If it even smells like the infamous trail ambassador it's going to be vapor.

Meatbomb
    Nice work.

mtbr member
    Wait, banned for being annoying?

I guess 1st amendment rights don't apply to discussion forums but this place will be quite a bit more boring without the traildoc.

Back to regular scheduled programming. Been playing with some GIS software to make some better maps. Here is a KMZ of the Northern Region City Map with the new P&D trails overlaid. Download to phone and open in Google Earth on your phone.

Latigo has been rerouted around the K-rock area to move it away from the future K-Rock techi trails to be built next fall.

West Express will be extended down to Latigo.

Hackamore extended Axle Grease.

The other new trails have yet to be named, but will be by next fall when the new City Trail map comes out.

I guess 1st amendment rights don't apply to discussion forums

Hint, when requested by a mod to take it to pm's it's best to take it to pm's. He's been asked in the past not to hijack threads, not to turn every single thread into a sedrama fest etc. Suicide by Mod is the official cause of death.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by life behind bars View Post
    Hint, when requested by a mod to take it to pm's it's best to take it to pm's. He's been asked in the past not to hijack threads, not to turn every single thread into a sedrama fest etc. Suicide by Mod is the official cause of death.
    Thank you very much!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Jun 2017

I guess 1st amendment rights don't apply to discussion forums but this place will be quite a bit more boring without the traildoc.
    You should probably learn what the bill of rights is for, what it applies to, and WHO it applies to.

Since your teacher failed you, I'll make it brief... The bill of rights, including 1st amendment, 2nd, etc. are there to prevent GOVERNMENT from infringing on your rights because the government has the force of law behind it.

It has not a single thing to do with internet forums (unless they happen to be government run I suppose.)

Edit: and I just re-read your quote above and realized I did read that all wrong. Good illustration of why I myself am not a professor. Not the first, or last time, my feet will be in my mouth. =)

mtbr member
    You should probably learn what the bill of rights is for, what it applies to, and WHO it applies to.

Since your teacher failed you, I'll make it brief... The bill of rights, including 1st amendment, 2nd, etc. are there to prevent GOVERNMENT from infringing on your rights because the government has the force of law behind it.

It has not a single thing to do with internet forums (unless they happen to be government run I suppose.)
    It was just an analogy Holmes but thanks for the lesson anyway.

Guess I draw the line at personal attacks. My teachers also taught me to keep an open mind and consider the viewpoints of others. But whatever, in my narrow view of things an internet forum is like satellite TV. If you don't like the traildoc channel switch to a different channel.

But since the hijack lives on, time to switch channels. Thanks Epic and others who are helping make Browns a great place to ride.
    Last edited by rockman; 05-02-2019 at 10:53 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    It was just an analogy Holmes but thanks for the lesson anyway.

Guess I draw the line at personal attacks. My teachers also taught me to keep an open mind and consider the viewpoints of others. But whatever, in my narrow view of things an internet forum is like satellite TV. If you don't like the traildoc channel switch to a different channel.

But since the hijack lives on, and switching channels thanks Epic and others who are helping make Browns a great place to ride.
    I actually generally side more with your initial/intended viewpoint, but above all else will first defend private/individual rights, and the forum operators have those rights here, nobody else.

Personally, I'd be fine with forums not having mods at all (give or take a little spam cleanup here and there) and agree things will be a tad more boring without the illustrious jackwagon that has recently left us. But i wont shed a tear for him either, so onward we go indeed!

And speaking of the trails out there, im usually not the type to advocate excessive trail grooming, but any chance the city is planning on some weed whackers out there to trim back the crazy overgrown brush on either side of some of the narrower trails? It's fine to ride through from a physical standpoint, but mentally, all I can think about is snakes in the grass as I ride through now. =)

recovering roadie
    Epicrider - Thanks for the map, and thanks for guiding the city in their trail design. I rode some of the new new stuff yesterday and loved it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Thanks for the app. It worked perfectly, and sorry I did not read your response very well. Saw the link and there I went.

mtbr member
    No more Sedona Pit Toilet threads w/pics?! *tear*

mtbr member
    I went out there saturday to ride the new stuff. It is pretty cool and I liked it, Route finding even with GPS is pretty hard as it tough to find the B-line (or are they A-line) around some features. Following a track sounds easy, but you get so turned around that it hard to know which way is up. I was on my single speed and generally climbing most of the stuff and it was not bad. Challenging, but not stupid crazy. Sinage like at Diablo where they show the "Most Difficult" b-lines will be needed. Good area to be play on. I hit new trail 1, 2, 4,5, but missed 3 due navigation error. Hit Dara Sara and Hawksnest Extension.

BTW.. I have to admit is pretty cool the number of overall miles Browns. There more miles of trails just in Browns than some locations have within a 150 miles.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    I am not seeing any of the "new stuff" on any map anywhere on the web... does anyone have a link to that ?... and yes, I looked at epicrider's link

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RajunCajun44 View Post
    I am not seeing any of the "new stuff" on any map anywhere on the web... does anyone have a link to that ?... and yes, I looked at epicrider's link
    trail forks. Trail 1, 2 3,4,5
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Ahhh the pain....
    trailforks?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    trail forks. Trail 1, 2 3,4,5
    got it thx Joe

Closekids.com
    Best "loop" i've done that includes the new stuff. Did it in reverse order the next time, just as good.

https://www.trailforks.com/ridelog/view/6100020/