Browns Ranch - Pima & Dynamite update- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 72 of 72
  1. #1
    Just another half mile...
    Reputation: Epicrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,068

    Browns Ranch - Pima & Dynamite update

    Hey all,

    Here is a little update on the Phase 3 trails in the Pima & Dynamite area. The trail builder is basically done for this year, but was able to complete Corridors A & B in order to get peeps who park at the temporary trailhead at P&D out into the north and east parts of the park. Signs are going up to help peeps find their way.

    Trailforks has been updated to show the current trails in the P&D area.

    Here is a fun little loop that I rode for a quick turn and burn. Very reminiscent of the old P&D days. The ride back from the high point on Wranger back to the P&D TH via Rustler and the new Corr A is a blast very similar to the old Roller Coaster trail.

    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/ac...qf75mx6h0.link

    Go get some before is gets hot!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: broncbuster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,236
    Going on Sunday would you be able to post a screen shot image of the new trails? Didn't find the updates on trailfork..

  3. #3
    Just A Mountain Biker.
    Reputation: blaklabl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,298
    Quote Originally Posted by broncbuster View Post
    Going on Sunday would you be able to post a screen shot image of the new trails? Didn't find the updates on trailfork..
    I didn’t see it at first, but then it updated / refreshed and Corridor A & B both showed up.

    Thanks for the update, Dale!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    MTBR: Your dad's online mountain bike forum.



  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: broncbuster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,236
    Thx BL couldnt get it to update but doing a search for corridors A & B loads each one temporarily so got a few screen shots for quick reference.

    Awesome thx ER...

  5. #5
    Just A Mountain Biker.
    Reputation: blaklabl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,298
    Weird, mine just show up as trails on the map in that area, I didn’t have to search anything. Oh well, have fun! I’m going to try and get out there tomorrow myself.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    MTBR: Your dad's online mountain bike forum.



  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: broncbuster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,236
    They both look more like destination trails to me rather than corridors. Hope they're on the fast side...

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    74
    Rode Corridor B today N and S, lot of fun. Not that familiar with Browns trails, but having ridden most of the W side stuff recently felt like it was a great addition. Will definitely take it over Axle Grease which relatively speaking I found to be an exercise in slow flat loose frustration the couple times I've ridden it north (haven't headed S on it).

    Only just finally exploring Browns as I've slowly gone more XC from (originally) a DH background and had dismissed it due to others' thoughts...I've found it's great, just in a different way vs the gnar I'm used to.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: broncbuster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,236
    I guess Im no Daniel Boone. Plan was to ride counter clockwise up Corridor A but mistakenly thought the trails were marked already anyway took the wrong fork and rather than double back just rode the Powerline road #2 to Browns Ranch road to Corridor B TH which is where Hawksnest trail use to tee Brown's ranch road but now intersects it. Rode it for a while but same deal though ended going up Browns Mountain trail so decided to scratch that and rode back Axel grease favorite trail at this time and plenty fast. Have to try the corridors again maybe clockwise next time when I have more patience..

  9. #9
    Closekids.com
    Reputation: BoomingSooner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    923
    Quote Originally Posted by broncbuster View Post
    I guess Im no Daniel Boone. Plan was to ride counter clockwise up Corridor A but mistakenly thought the trails were marked already anyway took the wrong fork and rather than double back just rode the Powerline road #2 to Browns Ranch road to Corridor B TH which is where Hawksnest trail use to tee Brown's ranch road but now intersects it. Rode it for a while but same deal though ended going up Browns Mountain trail so decided to scratch that and rode back Axel grease favorite trail at this time and plenty fast. Have to try the corridors again maybe clockwise next time when I have more patience..
    If Axel Grease is your favorite...I'd like to intro you to some new trails out there
    Try Great Divide or the Diablos, or High Desert to Renegade West to East...But you may hate those...YMMV. Glad you are enjoying them.
    Me to my riding buddy, "Want to ride this afternoon?"
    Him, "I can't. I have to chop this guys foot off at 2".

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: broncbuster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,236
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomingSooner View Post
    If Axel Grease is your favorite...I'd like to intro you to some new trails out there
    Try Great Divide or the Diablos, or High Desert to Renegade West to East...But you may hate those...YMMV. Glad you are enjoying them.
    No hate have rode those and high desert is to my liking but east to west. Thanks for the tip bruv...

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: seandm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    679
    Quote Originally Posted by broncbuster View Post
    No hate have rode those and high desert is to my liking but east to west. Thanks for the tip bruv...
    What is the new corridor trail 'A' like?

    Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: broncbuster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,236
    Quote Originally Posted by seandm View Post
    What is the new corridor trail 'A' like?

    Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
    Didnt ride much but looks to be an existing trail that has been worked in places it gets you into the boulder area. Lots of tire tracks and some new sign post (only) are in place so wouldn't think it will be too long before the signs are up.

  13. #13
    Just another half mile...
    Reputation: Epicrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,068
    Corr A uses a lot of the existing trails except for the new section from the south end of MTV up to Hackamore. So it’s a lot of old school P&D.

    Corr B also uses a bunch of old trails with a few reroutes. The biggest reroute was around the steep and eroded section of Old West Express (which was left in place for now). Then routed over to the Old Flower Garden trails on the south side of the power lines and then up and over a small ridge line to connect to Hawnest. There was talk about Corr B becoming an extension of Hawknest. Dara Sarah will remain mostly as is with some cleanups and a couple of short reroutes in the center area where there a couple of severely eroded sections.

    The fate of Old Bail Out and MTV are yet to be determined. West and East Flower Garden trails will most likely get replaced with a new Corr F trail somewhere in between to connect Cone Mtn with Axle Grease.

    There will be a new loops or loops that will be built snaking in and around the boulder fields in between Dara Sarah and Corr B and will be slow and techy and should be lots of fun.

  14. #14
    DFL>DNF>DNS
    Reputation: schillingsworth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    3,102
    Dale,
    If there hasn't been a final decision re: MTV, I really hope they keep it. It rides really well 'as is', but I could see some minor cleanup for drainage purposes. If you have any say in the matter, try and make it stay!! And, if it does stay, leave the TV out there!!

    Also, if you guys are using the Trailforks app, don't forget to re-sync the AZ map. That would cause any new changes to not show up immediately. Goto 'Settings' - 'Downloaded Regions' and then hit the refresh icon.
    My Two Schillingsworth


    Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,147
    Got out there a checked it out with my 8 yo old. She has previously only ridden Axle Grease. “Dad can we go ride the twisties?”

    She got to ride some rocks for the first time. Coached her down the rock slab at the top of Corridor A. Good stuff!

  16. #16
    Just another half mile...
    Reputation: Epicrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,068
    The fate of MTV and Old Bail Out will be determined next fall once the trail builder comes back, and will depend on how Corridors C & D get routed along with the inner Boulder loop. The trail planning committee will be involved in the routing of C & D. Right now both trails run parallel to each other and part of the preserve goals is to provide adequate habitat space in between trails. My guess one of them will go, and part of each may be incorporated into C. I have been pushing to keep as much of the existing trails in this area, and was able to keep a lot of existing for Corr A & B.

    Quote Originally Posted by schillingsworth View Post
    Dale,
    If there hasn't been a final decision re: MTV, I really hope they keep it. It rides really well 'as is', but I could see some minor cleanup for drainage purposes. If you have any say in the matter, try and make it stay!! And, if it does stay, leave the TV out there!!

    Also, if you guys are using the Trailforks app, don't forget to re-sync the AZ map. That would cause any new changes to not show up immediately. Goto 'Settings' - 'Downloaded Regions' and then hit the refresh icon.

  17. #17
    parenting for gnarness
    Reputation: chollaball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    6,243
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveo View Post
    Got out there a checked it out with my 8 yo old. She has previously only ridden Axle Grease. “Dad can we go ride the twisties?”

    She got to ride some rocks for the first time. Coached her down the rock slab at the top of Corridor A. Good stuff!
    A great ride for a child is starting over at Granite Mtn TH. The climb up Granite may be hard, but then you just go on the front of there and Cholla mtn. Hit amphitheater, balanced rock and all the cool formations so kids can play.

    I also like Browns Parking Area up Latigo til the 2-track, then work your way back through Cholla, Maverick and the single track that goes in front of Brown's Mtn.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: broncbuster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,236
    Got to ride some more of corridor B yesterday, again its not what I would call a corridor and its similar to some of the easier diablo trails at least the western part I rode. Some rain on it would be nice to compact the banks but a nice addition. The thing I like about P&D is you can ride 5-6 miles uphill using powerline road #1 which is probably the shortest/fastest way to get to the east end of the preserve and really more of a corridor except for some wash areas that suck but then hit the trails for all pretty much downhill back to the parking. West express is a fun roller-coaster then axle grease for some fairly fast twisty stuff. P&D really is more suited for MTBers than hikers or equestrian riders IMO..

  19. #19
    Just another half mile...
    Reputation: Epicrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,068
    Corr A & B are just temporary manes until the City officially names the trails that run along Corridors A & B. Most likely Corr B will be renamed as Hawknest since it ties directly into Hawknest at the north end. Not sure what Corr A will be renamed too. Also, why would one ride up the ugly powerline road when there is more fun singletrack to ride next to it.

    Quote Originally Posted by broncbuster View Post
    Got to ride some more of corridor B yesterday, again its not what I would call a corridor and its similar to some of the easier diablo trails at least the western part I rode. Some rain on it would be nice to compact the banks but a nice addition. The thing I like about P&D is you can ride 5-6 miles uphill using powerline road #1 which is probably the shortest/fastest way to get to the east end of the preserve and really more of a corridor except for some wash areas that suck but then hit the trails for all pretty much downhill back to the parking. West express is a fun roller-coaster then axle grease for some fairly fast twisty stuff. P&D really is more suited for MTBers than hikers or equestrian riders IMO..

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: broncbuster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,236
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicrider View Post
    Corr A & B are just temporary manes until the City officially names the trails that run along Corridors A & B. Most likely Corr B will be renamed as Hawknest since it ties directly into Hawknest at the north end. Not sure what Corr A will be renamed too. Also, why would one ride up the ugly powerline road when there is more fun singletrack to ride next to it.
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but seriously like to get to the high point as fast as possible and then the singletrack is more fun with gravity on your side.. duh

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: broncbuster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,236
    Rode Stagecoach - West express - Axle grease yesterday. Pretty much everything you could hope for as far as trail riding. Rained out there since last weekend and the trails where perfect.

  22. #22
    Just A Mountain Biker.
    Reputation: blaklabl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,298
    Quote Originally Posted by broncbuster View Post
    Rode Stagecoach - West express - Axle grease yesterday. Pretty much everything you could hope for as far as trail riding. Rained out there since last weekend and the trails where perfect.
    I love that route as a finish, curious how you got up there (which route) and where you parked? Always looking for a new loop.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    MTBR: Your dad's online mountain bike forum.



  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: broncbuster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,236
    I just ride the powerline #1 road from P&D. About 6 miles pay to Stagecoach for about 10 payback..
    Quote Originally Posted by blaklabl View Post
    I love that route as a finish, curious how you got up there (which route) and where you parked? Always looking for a new loop.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  24. #24
    Just A Mountain Biker.
    Reputation: blaklabl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,298
    Quote Originally Posted by broncbuster View Post
    I just ride the powerline #1 road from P&D. About 6 miles pay to Stagecoach for about 10 payback..
    Cool, thanks. I've been tying in some Hackamore/Cone/Corridor B/Hawknest/Stagecoach and back down, you're right it doesn't get much better than that!
    MTBR: Your dad's online mountain bike forum.



  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: broncbuster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,236
    No problem...Your route sounds pretty ambitious especially this time year..
    Quote Originally Posted by blaklabl View Post
    Cool, thanks. I've been tying in some Hackamore/Cone/Corridor B/Hawknest/Stagecoach and back down, you're right it doesn't get much better than that!

  26. #26
    Just another half mile...
    Reputation: Epicrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,068
    Quote Originally Posted by blaklabl View Post
    Cool, thanks. I've been tying in some Hackamore/Cone/Corridor B/Hawknest/Stagecoach and back down, you're right it doesn't get much better than that!
    For a ripping good fun, try Wrangler from Browns Ranch Rd, then hook onto Rustler than Corridor A. Has a much steep gradient, is a fast ride. See Garmin route in my first post.

  27. #27
    Just another half mile...
    Reputation: Epicrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,068
    Here are few pics from a couple of rides over the last few weekends in the P&D area.

    Browns Ranch - Pima & Dynamite update-31472578_10204350558720872_6434916905642885120_o.jpg

    Browns Ranch - Pima & Dynamite update-31445137_10204350556520817_3206439183795093504_o.jpg

    Browns Ranch - Pima & Dynamite update-31408273_10204350557200834_4273706220042321920_o.jpg

    Browns Ranch - Pima & Dynamite update-31939749_10204374358515852_573265086181801984_o.jpg

    Browns Ranch - Pima & Dynamite update-31949591_10204374356235795_4692376939111907328_o.jpg

    Browns Ranch - Pima & Dynamite update-31946975_10204374355915787_9139103408412688384_o.jpg

    Browns Ranch - Pima & Dynamite update-31530930_10204374353755733_5548459308133384192_o.jpg

    Browns Ranch - Pima & Dynamite update-31947740_10204374355155768_472137710375534592_o.jpg

  28. #28
    livin' the dream......
    Reputation: tjkm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,852
    That looks too easy and so boring..................
    Less f*cks to give every passing day, use them well. - geraldooka

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,845
    Looks exactly like what I need. But maybe next fall. Nice work out there!

  30. #30
    parenting for gnarness
    Reputation: chollaball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    6,243
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Looks exactly like what I need. But maybe next fall. Nice work out there!
    dont text, dont call, i dont want to ride with you.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,845
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    dont text, dont call, i dont want to ride with you.
    Did someone pee in your cheerio's this morning? Let's ride! But I need 4 more weeks for my collarbone to heal.

  32. #32
    Just another half mile...
    Reputation: Epicrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,068
    More fun stuff coming to Brown's Ranch trails. Went out on a walk about yesterday with the City of Scottsdale and the trail planning committee that I am on to help plan the trails out there. We walked several flag lines and some of the new trail that is being built through the boulder piles. Good stuff coming! The goal is to get as much of the Phase 3 trail completed this season.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Browns Ranch - Pima & Dynamite update-20181214_162956-r.jpg  

    Browns Ranch - Pima & Dynamite update-20181214_162009.jpg  

    Browns Ranch - Pima & Dynamite update-20181214_162128.jpg  

    Browns Ranch - Pima & Dynamite update-20181214_162156.jpg  

    Browns Ranch - Pima & Dynamite update-20181214_162534.jpg  

    Browns Ranch - Pima & Dynamite update-20181214_162622.jpg  

    Browns Ranch - Pima & Dynamite update-20181214_162651.jpg  

    Browns Ranch - Pima & Dynamite update-20181214_163013.jpg  


  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,845
    Right on! I really like the new stuff that's going in. Kudos and thanks for all the hard work

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    55
    @epicrider. I've heard of Detroit Rock City at Brown's.
    Pointe me in the right direction?

  35. #35
    Just another half mile...
    Reputation: Epicrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,068
    There is no official trail called Detroit Rock City. That might be referring to the rock pile that is designated on the Trail Corridor Plan as Area K, which is shown as K-rock on Trail Forks off of Latigo about a mile NE of the P&D parking lot. The K-rock area still needs to be routed and built, but there be some fun routes on and around the rock pile. There are a couple of lines off the top now.

    One of the current lines off the top that I showed the builders to incorporate into the K-rock loops. The exit from this line needs to be routed and improved when the builders get there sometime later this spring.
    Name:  kRock.jpg
Views: 1161
Size:  53.5 KB

    Quote Originally Posted by #mtnbykr View Post
    @epicrider. I've heard of Detroit Rock City at Brown's.
    Pointe me in the right direction?

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    55
    Thx. I've rode the K rock trails. The new alignment looks like fun.

  37. #37
    livin' the dream......
    Reputation: tjkm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,852
    I am really enjoying the 'new' stuff out of the Pima Dynamite TH. This is the very first place I rode when I moved here 17 years ago. Going further and further out each time, exploring and learning how to move around out there, and return in one piece.

    So far, I am very pleased with all of the new trails and reroutes. It is fun to ride it, and thanks to Dale and COS for putting in the time to lay down some quality trails.
    Less f*cks to give every passing day, use them well. - geraldooka

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    329
    Been exploring more on the west side of browns and it never seems to disappoint (at least til i get pointed back uphill.) Need to install a lift from p&d back to hawknest/divide so i can just run that downhill on repeat all day long.

    Axle grease was a nice bonus last weekend too. Kinda worried that im starting to run out of new stuff though.Browns Ranch - Pima & Dynamite update-screenshot_20181218-020605_samsung-internet.jpg

  39. #39
    My other ride is your mom
    Reputation: Maadjurguer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,314
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoreau View Post
    Been exploring more on the west side of browns and it never seems to disappoint (at least til i get pointed back uphill.) Need to install a lift from p&d back to hawknest/divide so i can just run that downhill on repeat all day long.

    Axle grease was a nice bonus last weekend too. Kinda worried that im starting to run out of new stuff though.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20181218-020605_Samsung Internet.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	207.3 KB 
ID:	1229564
    Thoreau, is this your personal heat map or the heat map for all users in the area?




  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    Thoreau, is this your personal heat map or the heat map for all users in the area?
    My own

  41. #41
    DFL>DNF>DNS
    Reputation: schillingsworth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    3,102
    Trailforks has a cool feature related to heatmaps. I have my Strava rides set to auto-import to Trailforks. The ride data is analyzed and trails are marked as 'ridden', then on your profile page a pin is placed for each trail ridden. It's a cool way to see what you haven't been on. Plus, you can see all your rides highlighted on the map and they are selectable. This is my map from the profile page:
    Browns Ranch - Pima & Dynamite update-tf_trailsridden.jpg

    Here's a zoomed in view of Brown's Ranch:
    Browns Ranch - Pima & Dynamite update-tf_trailsriddenbr.jpg
    My Two Schillingsworth


    Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

  42. #42
    Just another half mile...
    Reputation: Epicrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,068
    Your heat map doesn't show any of the trails up un the TNF. Surprised you haven't venture up there to explore. There are some fun trails up there, and also some really crappy trails too. Will take a some time to find out which ones are worth while. It been years since I ventured up there, and my guess the motos have ridden more trails than what I mapped. I think your the man to venture up there and add the fun stuff to TF.

    Quote Originally Posted by schillingsworth View Post

    Here's a zoomed in view of Brown's Ranch:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TF_TrailsRiddenBR.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	110.0 KB 
ID:	1229589

  43. #43
    DFL>DNF>DNS
    Reputation: schillingsworth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    3,102
    Yeah, it's one of those blank spots on my heat map!! I've wanted to get up there an explore a bit, just never seem to set aside the time.
    My Two Schillingsworth


    Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation: broncbuster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,236
    Any plans (any time soon) for a new trail to access axle grease from the Pima and dynamite parking lot instead of the connector trail?

  45. #45
    Just another half mile...
    Reputation: Epicrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,068
    Yes there are plans to construct a new trail up to Axle Grease from the new TH building once it gets built starting some time next year or the year after.

    Quote Originally Posted by broncbuster View Post
    Any plans (any time soon) for a new trail to access axle grease from the Pima and dynamite parking lot instead of the connector trail?

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    329
    Mother of god the new stuff is nice... Stumbled across one of the new chunks by chance today. Kinda seems like Diablo, but m0ar betters by far. Then another section I had to backtrack due to dead-ending at the trail building equipment.

    Can't wait for it to all go live and be mapped so I can reliably find my way and try the new trails at speed =)

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation: broncbuster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,236
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicrider View Post
    Yes there are plans to construct a new trail up to Axle Grease from the new TH building once it gets built starting some time next year or the year after.
    Thx...

    Quote Originally Posted by Thoreau View Post
    Mother of god the new stuff is nice... Stumbled across one of the new chunks by chance today. Kinda seems like Diablo, but m0ar betters by far. Then another section I had to backtrack due to dead-ending at the trail building equipment.

    Can't wait for it to all go live and be mapped so I can reliably find my way and try the new trails at speed =)
    Sounds like the newer Hawknest trail if so some of that is on the fall 2018 current map. Obviously not the trail being built that tees off that though...

  48. #48
    DFL>DNF>DNS
    Reputation: schillingsworth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    3,102
    Quote Originally Posted by broncbuster View Post
    Sounds like the newer Hawknest trail if so some of that is on the fall 2018 current map. Obviously not the trail being built that tees off that though...
    Almost. There are 3 new trails in that area, they link into the southern end of Hawksnest. They are on Trailforks as: New trail, NT2 & NT3 - super original names for now. NT3 continues across one of the dirt roads for about a mile, but as stated, dead ends at the dozer.
    My Two Schillingsworth


    Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    311
    Agreed...the 'new trails' are a ton of fun. Really well out together.

    Met Dale out there for the first time today...sure appreciate all of his efforts!!!

    Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk
    I may not be very fast...but I sure am slow!!!

  50. #50
    livin' the dream......
    Reputation: tjkm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,852
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoreau View Post
    Mother of god the new stuff is nice... Stumbled across one of the new chunks by chance today. Kinda seems like Diablo, but m0ar betters by far. Then another section I had to backtrack due to dead-ending at the trail building equipment.

    Can't wait for it to all go live and be mapped so I can reliably find my way and try the new trails at speed =)
    Sounds like I rode the same sections you did yesterday too. Found the trail building toys and had to back track. The rocky sections before that were very cool. I still see other flag lines out there that are not cut in yet, this is amazing!
    Less f*cks to give every passing day, use them well. - geraldooka

  51. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation: seandm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    679
    My hats off to the trail builders, the new stuff they have been putting in is a blast. Referring to the newer stuff that they have added over the last week connecting the trails on the east side of the powerlines to the trails connecting to hawksnest - Very well thought !

    Only question I have is there is an old part of P&D trails off of trail C they seemed to avoid, are they planning on incorporating that somewhere down the line?

    I had to look at my old fat tire book as Dales maps are no longer up it seems. It was the old section of Dare A Sarah that went up that hill between a boulder pile and then ran down into the wash below.

  52. #52
    parenting for gnarness
    Reputation: chollaball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    6,243
    Finally got out there. Worked my way mostly up Hawksnest, exploring whatever spurs I found and much of the new Trails on trailforks. Hawksnest and all the similar routing through the rocks is fun and very pretty, but nothing technical other than K Rock. I was hoping for more rock challenges like Diablo and Coyote Canyon, which are themselves only beginner to intermediate rock challenges. Anyone have a current gpx or description of some good routes?
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

  53. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    218
    I too rode the new stuff on Saturday. No disrespect. But I found it meh. I think I can see what the idea was. But I found it too twisty to really “flow”. Don’t get me wrong. It’s great work. Just wasn’t my cup of tea I find it odd that a mere few boulders in a trail that in other trails you wouldn’t blink at, designate a trail as black diamond at Browns. Who determines a trail difficulty rating?

  54. #54
    Just another half mile...
    Reputation: Epicrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,068
    The new trails are intended to provide more variety so they are not all the same. Yes they are twisty through the boulders, which was by design. There are plenty of other trails out there are are all the same that have that that flow you are looking for. I had asked John to give the new trails a black rating on TF until they get completed and signed with trail names. This was to help keep novice peeps from getting over their head and modifying (dumbing) down the trails before they are signed properly. Difficulty is all relevant to the trails in the area. The new trails off of Hawk Nest are more difficult that most of the other blue trails in the Browns ranch area, which is why they are shown as black for now. The ratings may change once they are all completed and signed. There is not a lot of big terrain out there and the builder is doing the best with what they have to work with.

    Quote Originally Posted by Five0 View Post
    I too rode the new stuff on Saturday. No disrespect. But I found it meh. I think I can see what the idea was. But I found it too twisty to really “flow”. Don’t get me wrong. It’s great work. Just wasn’t my cup of tea I find it odd that a mere few boulders in a trail that in other trails you wouldn’t blink at, designate a trail as black diamond at Browns. Who determines a trail difficulty rating?

  55. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    218
    I hear you. By no means did I intend trash talk the trails. They are really nice. The black rating for now makes sense.

  56. #56
    livin' the dream......
    Reputation: tjkm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,852
    Digging the new granite trails under the power lines.

    Epicrider - I may have asked this before, but do you anticipate the City doing any work to the Central and South area trails in the near future? I wonder what the current trail system coming out of Gateway would like if it were being put in now, vs. 8-10 years ago. I think there are some real opportunities for re-routes and high connections.
    Less f*cks to give every passing day, use them well. - geraldooka

  57. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by tjkm View Post
    Digging the new granite trails under the power lines.
    Concur, bigly...

    Browns Ranch - Pima & Dynamite update-pl1.jpg

    Browns Ranch - Pima & Dynamite update-pl2.jpg

  58. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by tjkm View Post
    Sounds like I rode the same sections you did yesterday too. Found the trail building toys and had to back track. The rocky sections before that were very cool. I still see other flag lines out there that are not cut in yet, this is amazing!
    Went back and checked my route from that ride, and I'm pretty sure the spot I hit with equipment was farther east of the 3 'new trail' segments on tf. a spur that comes off of 'old bail out', and dead ended to the southwest.

    So much goodness out there it's hard to keep track of, especially for someone like me who fails miserably at navigation in most situations.

    I do hope that they aren't planning to 'upgrade' the P&D trailhead though. It's already getting really packed, and would probably only get worse if not for the unpaved lot. Still pissed about the overhaul at Granite Mountain TH too. What schmuck aligned the parking spots under the saggiest bit of the HV lines? In the right spot, the rock sliders on my truck try to give my knees a pretty stern jolt if I lean into the vehicle to get something =) Also loving how a carbon bike in a hitch rack vibrates as i run my hand over it when under the lines, and my chain tries to murder me by electrocution if i dare clean it while the bike is on said rack. All in all, that money shoulda just been sent to trail work. Much MUCH better bang for the buck compared to more shitters and ramadas and crap.

  59. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation: broncbuster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,236
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoreau View Post
    Went back and checked my route from that ride, and I'm pretty sure the spot I hit with equipment was farther east of the 3 'new trail' segments on tf. a spur that comes off of 'old bail out', and dead ended to the southwest.

    So much goodness out there it's hard to keep track of, especially for someone like me who fails miserably at navigation in most situations.

    I do hope that they aren't planning to 'upgrade' the P&D trailhead though. It's already getting really packed, and would probably only get worse if not for the unpaved lot. Still pissed canabout the overhaul at Granite Mountain TH too. What schmuck aligned the parking spots under the saggiest bit of the HV lines? In the right spot, the rock sliders on my truck try to give my knees a pretty stern jolt if I lean into the vehicle to get something =) Also loving how a carbon bike in a hitch rack vibrates as i run my hand over it when under the lines, and my chain tries to murder me by electrocution if i dare clean it while the bike is on said rack. All in all, that money shoulda just been sent to trail work. Much MUCH better bang for the buck compared to more shitters and ramadas and crap.
    For fun that would have been a good place for the horse trailer
    parking..

    There's a lot of work planned for the Pima and dynamite Trailhead parking lot also...

  60. #60
    Just another half mile...
    Reputation: Epicrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,068
    Yep, the new trailhead is under design and should start construction later this year. The new TH will be located just west of the powerlines. See site master plan. The existing dirt parking area will be used for overflow. The sooner the better to reduce the amount of TP blowing in the wind...

    Browns Ranch - Pima & Dynamite update-trailhead-site-plan-large.jpg

    Quote Originally Posted by broncbuster View Post
    For fun that would have been a good place for the horse trailer
    parking..

    There's a lot of work planned for the Pima and dynamite Trailhead parking lot also...

  61. #61
    Just another half mile...
    Reputation: Epicrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,068
    Latest update for the Phase 3 trails. Since we had all that awesome rain this season the trail builder was able to build most of the Phase 3 trail this season except for the K area rock pile. There are a bunch of new trails out there that will offer a good variety of trail experience and loop variations from the P&D TH. A lot of the old moto trails that are Trail Forks in the P& D area have been obliterated and TF will need to be updated. In the mean time I have updated my old map with the new trails in the P&D area. Green trails are system trails and red dashed are the obliterated old trails for reference.

    Go out and get some!

    Browns Ranch - Pima & Dynamite update-p-d-trail-update-4-14-19.jpg

  62. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    1,466
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicrider View Post
    Latest update for the Phase 3 trails. Since we had all that awesome rain this season the trail builder was able to build most of the Phase 3 trail this season except for the K area rock pile. There are a bunch of new trails out there that will offer a good variety of trail experience and loop variations from the P&D TH. A lot of the old moto trails that are Trail Forks in the P& D area have been obliterated and TF will need to be updated. In the mean time I have updated my old map with the new trails in the P&D area. Green trails are system trails and red dashed are the obliterated old trails for reference.

    Go out and get some!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P&D Trail Update 4-14-19.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	501.9 KB 
ID:	1246895
    ER I find it interesting how you have continued to produce your own map of certain areas rather than just update a Trailforks or MTB Project database. For Browns Ranch you could have pimped out one of the online apps and it could be shared with thousands of users rather than a limited few.

    My goal has always been to provided mountain bikers with the best information to formulate a ride plan and once on that ride to be Albee to reorientate while on the ride when someone gets disorientated.

    Do you do any updating of Trailforks or MTB Project for Brown’s Ranch, so those databases are up to date?

  63. #63
    Closekids.com
    Reputation: BoomingSooner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    923
    Thanks for the update. I've ridden quite a few times out there and could easily run the trail forks app if that records the ride and uploads it as well. I'm in search of a good sequence for the new stuff! It is easy to get lost, ride the same thing twice or miss something good altogether.

    Very grateful for the new builds!
    Me to my riding buddy, "Want to ride this afternoon?"
    Him, "I can't. I have to chop this guys foot off at 2".

  64. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    1,466
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomingSooner View Post
    Thanks for the update. I've ridden quite a few times out there and could easily run the trail forks app if that records the ride and uploads it as well. I'm in search of a good sequence for the new stuff! It is easy to get lost, ride the same thing twice or miss something good altogether.

    Very grateful for the new builds!
    That is a great question and hopefully ER will respond with an outstanding ride with a bunch of those new trails included. Does ER’s map include GPX tracks for each trail?

    I think in the Sedona area all the popular commercial map developers use the database that I and others created in Trailforks to update their maps. In Trailforks you can add favorite route suggestions, so riders don’t have to second guess the suggested route.
    Last edited by Switchblade2; 4 Days Ago at 08:44 AM.

  65. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    311
    Excellent news Dale!!! Thank you for all of your efforts out at Brown's and elsewhere.
    Pretty hard to get lost out there. Trailforks will be updated soon enough.
    Looking forward to riding out there tomorrow morning. :-)

    Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk
    I may not be very fast...but I sure am slow!!!

  66. #66
    DFL>DNF>DNS
    Reputation: schillingsworth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    3,102
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomingSooner View Post
    Thanks for the update. I've ridden quite a few times out there and could easily run the trail forks app if that records the ride and uploads it as well. I'm in search of a good sequence for the new stuff! It is easy to get lost, ride the same thing twice or miss something good altogether.
    Trailforks can record & upload a ride. When you open the app, the big yellow circle with the + on it records the ride. If you use Strava, you can then sync your Trailforks ridelog to upload to Strava automatically. I've been in the habit of recording it on Strava and having it auto populate to Trailforks. Doesn't really matter. You just can't record on both apps at the same time, if for some reason you wanted to. I tried it once as a test and failed.
    My Two Schillingsworth


    Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

  67. #67
    DFL>DNF>DNS
    Reputation: schillingsworth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    3,102
    Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade2 View Post
    ER I find it interesting how you have continued to produce your own map of certain areas rather than just update a Trailforks or MTB Project database. For Browns Ranch you could have pimped out one of the online apps and it could be shared with thousands of users rather than a limited few.

    My goal has always been to provided mountain bikers with the best information to formulate a ride plan and once on that ride to be Albee to reorientate while on the ride when someone gets disorientated.

    Do you do any updating of Trailforks or MTB Project for Brown’s Ranch, so those databases are up to date?
    C'mon SB2, give Dale a break. His original maps a very well put together, they were one of, if not, the first gpx accurate maps of the area. (and a bunch of other areas too!) While Trailforks is great, along with some other trail apps, not one of them show the legacy trails at Pima/Dynamite as complete as Dale's map. So, it's real nice to see how the the new trail builds overlay on the moto trails. Only a handful of those are mapped on TF. It was beginning to get a little confusing on the app trying to determine if a moto trail was still legit or where an unmapped one led. Personally, I have no issue if Dale ever submits an update to TF. As long as his maps are updated, it's easy enough for myself or anyone for that matter, to update the app. I'd rather have Dale out there routing cool new lines than trying to make his map interactive with gpx downloads.

    Just keep the Sedona updates coming, we all appreciate that!!
    My Two Schillingsworth


    Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

  68. #68
    DFL>DNF>DNS
    Reputation: schillingsworth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    3,102
    I scoured over Dale's map and compared it to Trailforks. There are quite a few missing gpx files for new trails. Here's the map showing the missing TF data circled in orange. If you have a ride with these trails, please submit it to TF. You can simply import a Strava ride and crop the route to the area in need. Please double check the track for any overlapping points and be sure the endpoints connect with the system. Just name it 'New Trail 6, 7, etc' until the official map is released with trail names.

    I deleted the moto trails Dale marked as red dashed lines on his map. If I missed something, submit the change or let me know. Thanks for your assistance.

    Browns Ranch - Pima & Dynamite update-p-d_missinggpx.jpg
    My Two Schillingsworth


    Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

  69. #69
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    1,466
    Shil thanks for all you hard work trying to keep the different Trailforks area databases up to date. As far as legacy trails go it�s nice to have Dale�s map to refer to to see the trail history of the different areas.

    As you know I tried to keep the popular user built trails on the Sedona Trailforks database, but when the USFS recently came to me and asked me to delete them, I did what they requested.

    I think it would be nice If Dale were to have two maps. One with all the existing and legacy trails and one with just the current system trails. I am assuming a map with JUST the current system trails would be the most popular map for ride plans in that area. I could be wrong on that one, if some of the legacy trails are still in play. I am assuming if that is the case the people in the know don’t need a map to ride those trails they have been riding them and really enjoy them.

    Like Dale I still have the original legacy trails on Google Earth so they are available to anyone who would like them. Just ask me what legacy trail you want the GPX on and I will be happy to provide it.

  70. #70
    Just another half mile...
    Reputation: Epicrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,068
    Hey John,
    I will send you my GPX data of the missing tracks and provide and update on trail names that I know will change. The City is working on an updated map of the area with a slew of new trail names. Should be out by the end of summer.

    Quote Originally Posted by schillingsworth View Post
    I scoured over Dale's map and compared it to Trailforks. There are quite a few missing gpx files for new trails. Here's the map showing the missing TF data circled in orange. If you have a ride with these trails, please submit it to TF. You can simply import a Strava ride and crop the route to the area in need. Please double check the track for any overlapping points and be sure the endpoints connect with the system. Just name it 'New Trail 6, 7, etc' until the official map is released with trail names.

    I deleted the moto trails Dale marked as red dashed lines on his map. If I missed something, submit the change or let me know. Thanks for your assistance.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P&D_MissingGPX.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	505.7 KB 
ID:	1246981

  71. #71
    Ahhh the pain....
    Reputation: Raybum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,546
    Nice work gents...

    Now hoping that after Life Behind Bars returns from the ban hammer driving range, he tee's up Traildick for the BS and needless S*dona mention.

    FORE!!!!!!!

  72. #72
    IPA tester
    Reputation: Dirtrider127's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,136
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    Nice work gents...

    Now hoping that after Life Behind Bars returns from the ban hammer driving range, he tee's up Traildick for the BS and needless S*dona mention.

    FORE!!!!!!!
    Tiger Woods came back
    "We'll ride it until they pave it."

    -Urban Yeti
    Dirttreaders.com

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 77
    Last Post: 04-05-2018, 10:39 AM
  2. Pima & Dynamite new trails map
    By Mtn-Rider in forum Arizona
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-13-2013, 03:05 PM
  3. pima & dynamite gpx tracks
    By aGo in forum Arizona
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-25-2012, 09:56 PM
  4. Pima & Dynamite dry today (10/8)?
    By jae in forum Arizona
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-08-2011, 06:52 PM
  5. Replies: 31
    Last Post: 03-22-2011, 10:45 AM

Members who have read this thread: 183

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.