Brakes sezied on bike sitting in hot garage- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Brakes sezied on bike sitting in hot garage

So I have a 1 month old diamondback mission 2 and I haven't ridden it for two weeks. In fact, I've only ridden it twice and it has performed flawlessly, I love the bike. However, it has been sitting in my hot garage for the last two weeks without being moved and the both brakes were seized, they wouldn't release. It has sram DB5's and I can't seem to find a whole lot about them on the internet. Most of my searches came up with avids that did the same thing in the heat because they had air in the lines or too much fluid. By the way, I moved the bike inside and the brakes performed flawlessly within 20 minutes. Anybody else having a similar problem in the heat?

Meatbomb
    I'd suggest storing it inside.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Are the levers sucking in toward the bars?
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    No, the levers just are just loose, they aren't being pushed back into the open position. Just flopping around.

MEGALOMANIAC
    The levers have no pressure and the brakes are locked (wheels won't spin)?
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

mtbr member
    Thats correct.

MEGALOMANIAC
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert_Rat View Post
    Thats correct.
    Wow, that is odd.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Weird, never had that problem... but I've never really had my bikes not be touched for two weeks either. To be honest, if mine did that I'd be likely to rip them off and throw something else on, pronto. Brakes aren't really something you want to be second guessing.

Click Click Click
    Quote Originally Posted by phatmike2112 View Post
    Weird, never had that problem... but I've never really had my bikes not be touched for two weeks either. To be honest, if mine did that I'd be likely to rip them off and throw something else on, pronto. Brakes aren't really something you want to be second guessing.
    Agreed... For not much more than just some new pads, just order a pair of these and be done with it. Shimano M615 Deore Disc Brakeset | Hydraulic Brake | MTB
    "You either want to or you don't."

Trail Ninja
    Coincidentally, I was riding with a bike mechanic yesterday evening out on the trails and he brought up the topic of SRAM brakes frequently coming in, where they had such issues like the one described above, notably one where the plunger wouldn't return to its rest position in the master cylinder. Said that these were being warrantied and people were getting upgraded to fancier Guide models.
    We're all on the same ship, and it's sinking.

IPA tester
    Maybe their calipers are built with too tight of tolerances and/or get gunked up causing the clearance to be too tight then the material expansion causes it to lock up.
    "We'll ride it until they pave it."

-Urban Yeti
    Dirttreaders.com

RAKC
    Another reason to avoid sram brakes still.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

jddist
    May 2008
    Take it back to where you bought it and let them deal with it. It is clearly a warranty issue. Sitting the a HOT garage should have NO affect on the brakes if they are not defective.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    What Varaxis described above is exactly what happened to two sets of my Guides (the DB5s are the lowest on the totem of this line). Both were warrantied.

Both sets on my current bikes have been flawless.

My other ride is your mom
    SRAM lower levels suck...just XT and forget about it. After a decade of seeing these issues, I'm amazed SRAM still bothers....price point in the bulk buy must be sufficiently low to make it irresistible on both sides of the equation....too bad the third side of the equation (the 1st time buyer) is none the wiser.

mtbr member
    Sram Guide RSC is pretty dang nice. It's not the Avid turkey garble brake of yesteryear.

mtbr member
    This, 100%, bike should not be your problem after only a month, let the shop deal with this BS. Clearly a case of air in the system if when you brought them indoors to cooler temps and they started working again. As others have said, same old, same old from SRAM, even though they ditch the Avid name inhopes of distancing themselves from crap, get Shimano and be done with the worries.

Quote Originally Posted by istvisinet View Post
    Take it back to where you bought it and let them deal with it. It is clearly a warranty issue. Sitting the a HOT garage should have NO affect on the brakes if they are not defective.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    This, 100%, bike should not be your problem after only a month, let the shop deal with this BS. Clearly a case of air in the system if when you brought them indoors to cooler temps and they started working again. As others have said, same old, same old from SRAM, even though they ditch the Avid name inhopes of distancing themselves from crap, get Shimano and be done with the worries.
    Just curious but have you actually used the Guides? They're an entirely different design. After giving up on Avid Juicy 7s in 2005, going Shimano, and then Formula I'm quite pleased with the Guides. Easy to setup and bleed and nice modulation.

Personally I'm not a fan of XT or XTR. I find them grabby. They're either on or their off. But to each their own.

mtbr member
    Did you have the bike stored upside down? I've seen that happen where the levers have no pressure after. pumping the brakes for a min usually fixes it.

mtbr member
    On an actual ride, no, but I just had to bleed a guys Guide Rs and wasn't too impressed, hasn't had the bike that long. He'd had a nasty crash and the bike had been at a friends place for about 6 weeks, he came back on one ride and asked me to take a look at the bike and them, when I squeezed them at the trail I wasn't sure what to think, didn't know if that mushy feeling was what people were calling "modulation". Anyways, got the bike home, front most definitely needed a bleed, wasn't sure about the rear, until I bled the front, then realised how $hit the back was as well. Had to bleed it through 3 times to get it good, corrosive DOT fluid, so no, not impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Just curious but have you actually used the Guides? They're an entirely different design. After giving up on Avid Juicy 7s in 2005, going Shimano, and then Formula I'm quite pleased with the Guides. Easy to setup and bleed and nice modulation.

Personally I'm not a fan of XT or XTR. I find them grabby. They're either on or their off. But to each their own.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    So, another worthless opinion.

Anyway, from someone who's used most brakes currently on the market, the Guides are pretty nice. Are they the most reliable product in the world? No. But I do love the lever feel, the power and the modulation.

I personally don't like any of the modern Shimano stuff at all, but that's a personal preference and they do tend to be pretty functionally solid, just no modulation.

Best brakes on the market, IMO? Hope E4. Period. But they're spendy,

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Air.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    I've had 3 sets of Sram's 2 of the juicy's were absolute garbage.. I have a set of XX's that have been very good..

I also have SLX and XTRs both have been awesome... I think the SLX's are the best bang for the buck on the market..

mtbr member
    I'll guess that you're referencing me, and to that I'll say no, not useless and as valid as your "professional opinion", sorry we can't all turn over bikes like girls change panties, some have to buy what they know will be reliable and work with minimal fuss for a while.

Lots of new bikes in this year, all have come with Shimano, that says a lit about what's reliable and my one experience with the Guide's and after very little time they give trouble, just reinforces the fact that SRAM are not reliable, hit or miss if you'll get a brake that'll work as advertised or an absolute POS, where if you want them to be good you need to have the RSC (top of the line), where as Shimano works from Deore all the way up.

Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    So, another worthless opinion.

Anyway, from someone who's used most brakes currently on the market, the Guides are pretty nice. Are they the most reliable product in the world? No. But I do love the lever feel, the power and the modulation.

I personally don't like any of the modern Shimano stuff at all, but that's a personal preference and they do tend to be pretty functionally solid, just no modulation.

Best brakes on the market, IMO? Hope E4. Period. But they're spendy,

mtbr member
    The bike has never been upside down, I'll have to see about getting it warrantied. Probably will end up upgrading the brakes. That is shame as thing is monster and is blast on the trails right out of the box.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    Carpe Calipers

mtbr member
    Ok, heat causes fluids and air to expand. Possibly your brakes are over serviced and there is no where for the fluid to go?

Dont throw away your brakes just yet. Let some fluid out first.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    I'll guess that you're referencing me, and to that I'll say no, not useless and as valid as your "professional opinion", sorry we can't all turn over bikes like girls change panties, some have to buy what they know will be reliable and work with minimal fuss for a while blah blah blah
    Sorry your knickers got twisted, Nancy. How can anyone take you seriously? I mean, other than you taking you seriously. But I appreciate your sample size of one as scientific credibility. Cheers.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I agree with the others, just upgrade. Other than some nonsense, like somehow every post in this thread isn't an opinion, the consensus is SRAM sells the brakes that are the most likely to cause grief. I agree.

Wait until your SRAM er, Guide, I mean Avid heats up on a hot day on the trail and starts dragging or locks up. Happened to me, and it isn't like its new news. My first overheated blue Avid rotor was in 2009. Enjoy your new bike, congratulations.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I have had more failures in the shop with Shimano than with Guides. If they don't fall apart or the caliper starts leaking, they overheat and fade. That, and they feel like crap.
    That being said, as it heats up, I have replaced a couple of guides under warranty due to the master cylinder sticking. Have your shop call Sram, they will take care of you.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Fix them:

Brakes sezied on bike sitting in hot garage-img_0760%5B1%5D.jpg

Brakes sezied on bike sitting in hot garage-img_0763%5B1%5D.jpg

And then get some shimanos.

Been running shimano (few years now, XTs on one bike and XTR on the other) ever since...Just bled the XTs a few weeks ago. Was nice and painless.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Just dropped the bike off at a shop that is an official sram dealer. I got with diamondback and they said to take it a sram dealer. Makes sense I suppose as diamondback didn't manufacture the brakes. The shop said they have seen this once before on a set of avids that just needed to be bled. We'll see what happens.

mtbr member
    If it turns out that all they need is to be bled, that would make this thread awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Luke, this is your father's lightsaber. I cut him in 1/2 to get it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Just got my new set of guidr r brakes after the previous ones were warrantied. They lost modulation and the lever started sticking. The new ones have a metal piece around the adjustor. Loved the perfomance of the previous ones and hopefully the new ones will be better.

Sent from my LG-H818 using Tapatalk
    2009 Stumpjumper Comp HT.
    An old Trek 820 ST.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by darth biker View Post
    If it turns out that all they need is to be bled, that would make this thread awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any explanation from an approved SRAM service center why nearly new brakes that worked suddenly needed to be bled?

I'll cross my fingers for you and hope this is the last of your brake troubles. I was at my new LBS today and we discussed a new bike for my kid. During the conversation I mentioned my distaste for the DB5 brakes. He said "no kidding" pointing to a box on the floor with three masters with levers in it. He said he would upgrade at cost at the time of purchase.

mtbr member
    Got a call from the shop, sram is sending a new set of brakes and everything is covered under warranty. I hope these do better.

1 bike to ride them all
    Hey Desert Rat,

Both Shimano and SRAM make great brakes. That said, they have their pro's and cons... and depending on the kind of riding you participate in, one brand might offer an advantage over the other.

I had been riding SRAM/Avid brakes for a few years and then switched to Shimano (first XT's and then XTR's). I was very happy with both brands. The Shimano's had great power but lacked the modulation and adjustability of the SRAM/Avids that I was used to... kinda "light-switch" like, either on or off. So, I took a risk and went back to SRAM. I'm now riding Guide RSC's, and despite an early problem that SRAM resolved I prefer them over the Shimano XT or XTR's hands down. More modulation, when and where I want it in the lever stroke, with tons of power.

All of the comments for or against one brand over another in this thread need to be taken with a grain of salt. Both Shimano and SRAM stand behind their products and are serious about customer service/support. That said, currently SRAM's after sales support is superior. Forget the axe grinding here and give your new, warrantied brakes a try. You can always sell them and switch at a later date. Just recognize that SRAM cared enough to get your back when things weren't right. That is worth a lot.

For those folks out there who think that Shimano brakes are perfect and never have problems, do a little homework on Aaron Gwin's crash at worlds a few years ago, where he blew a corner and landed in the catch fencing. Super bummer as he was on fire. Even more of a bummer was the crash that took Cedric Gracia out for almost a whole season and most likely ended his DH career (although it was clear that he was winding it down).

Most bike or bike parts companies have products fail from time to time. It's how that bike or bike parts company chooses to respond when a product fails that matters most.

CB

mtbr member
    Just got the bike back, they replaced them under warranty with Guide R's. I just had to pay for the labor to install them and bleed them. Time will tell how well these hold up in the heat.

Meatbomb
    If it was a warranty job, why should you pay labor? Sram should have covered that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    If it was a warranty job, why should you pay labor? Sram should have covered that.
    You would think so but unfortunately its not covered.

Meatbomb
    Crappy LBS. They should have figured that out. Took my bike back due to a crappy part and it was fixed under warranty and did not pay a cent.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Glad you got new brakes. You should NOT have been charged anything.

MEGALOMANIAC
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    This topic has been discussed again and again. Some companies will cover the labor, and some will not. I have mixed feeling about both ways, so I do not judge.

An example is this:

If your car has a warranty part replaced by a private repair shop, the car manufacturer will reimburse you the cost of the part you paid for but not the labor. It is the way of things.

Being self employed, I can see it from all angles.

mtbr member
    I bought the bike online, it was taken to a shop that was a sram dealer as instructed by diamondback. I am sure that if I had bought it at a local shop and took it back to the same shop, it would be different. I used to do warranty claims at a motorcycle dealer, all companies find an excuse when it comes to payment.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Ah. Well, that last post clarifies it.

Meatbomb
    ... Sram produced a defective product that they agreed was defective by replacing it under warranty. They should pay the labor as well. No matter who does the work.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert_Rat View Post
    You would think so but unfortunately its not covered.
    If they are SRAM, more so Guides.. and they are under a year old.
    They are covered.
    Been there dealt with that crap.
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Same thing happened to me but it was before it started getting hot. They were Sram Guide R's and they were replaced by Sram working with the Bikes Direct local shop. I was told that a internal component was a few thousands off which prompted the warrantee replacement.
    2015 Pivot Mach 429 Carbon
    2008 Specialized Roubaix Expert