Brakes - Cable v. Hydraulic???- Mtbr.com
    rockcrusher

Brakes - Cable v. Hydraulic???

My last 2 bikes had XTR V-brakes (yeah.. it's been a while) My new bike came with Avid BB5's, while the difference between cable disc brakes and V brakes is night and day. How do BB5's compare with a decent hydraulic brake set like Oro K24's? The novelty is starting to wear of with the Avids and all I have for comaprison is moto and sportbike brakes.

Zipper
    Hey 2equis stick with the BB5's Take the bike to a good shop like Cactus and get them dialed in. they do a great job unless your running uber long DH's then they dont cool enough and will fade a bit but thaty are a really good brake
    Zipper aka Rob

Ouch, I am hot!
    Avid mechs are fine brakes, but the K24's are much, much better. Mechs are simply not as good as hydros no matter what some folk say.

For me, it is a no brainer. Moreover, all the pro mech folk will tell you that mechs are awesome because they are super adjustable. Yea, that is because they need constant adjustment. The thing that killed it for me as to the mechs was the damn constant adjusting I had to do.
    I AM JUST A JERK

banned
    Friends don't let friends ride cable operated brakes.

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    I'm running BB7 cables and Hope Mono Mini hydraulics. The hydros feel nicer, and have slightly more stopping power, but the cables were half the price. I'm happy with both.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    The hydros work better and are generally lighter, but if you're into endurance races or long multi-day rides in the middle of nowhere, the cable brakes are more repairable on the trail(just toss a spare cable in the pack). Hydro failures are few and far between, but when they do go, you're kinda screwed. If budget is a consideration go cables.
    You COULD do it on a geared bike, but I wouldn't reccomend it!

Derailleurs are for failures!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    Avid mechs are fine brakes, but the K24's are much, much better. Mechs are simply not as good as hydros no matter what some folk say.

For me, it is a no brainer. Moreover, all the pro mech folk will tell you that mechs are awesome because they are super adjustable. Yea, that is because they need constant adjustment. The thing that killed it for me as to the mechs was the damn constant adjusting I had to do.
    Don't mean to hijack thread but are you running actual Formula K24's or the oro puros? How do the Formulas stack up to any other hydraulics you've used? Rotor size? Definitely worthy of the $$?
    i am a human derailleur

Ouch, I am hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by jennytalia
    Don't mean to hijack thread but are you running actual Formula K24's or the oro puros? How do the Formulas stack up to any other hydraulics you've used? Rotor size? Definitely worthy of the $$?
    I have the K24's. They are in a different league compared to my older Hayes hydros. While I have not owned Juicy's, the consensus is that my K24's have a much nicer overall feel than the Juicy's based on limited "can I try your brake" mini-rides. Rotors are 180 front and 160 rear. I think they are worth the money.
    I AM JUST A JERK

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by 2equis
    My last 2 bikes had XTR V-brakes (yeah.. it's been a while) My new bike came with Avid BB5's, while the difference between cable disc brakes and V brakes is night and day. How do BB5's compare with a decent hydraulic brake set like Oro K24's? The novelty is starting to wear of with the Avids and all I have for comaprison is moto and sportbike brakes.
    Mechs are ok if you don't have the money for hydros, but the hydros are far better and worth the money.

-Hydros are lighter.
    -Hydros have better "feel" to them.
    -My avid mechs would heat up pretty crazy-hot, and require pad adjustments on some nasty downhills.
    -My avid mech pad-adjuster would back out during rough descents.
    -My avid mech pad-adjuster knobs eventually flew off, never to be seen again.
    -There's the whole "adjust the pads as you wear them down", less extreme than the "adjust after one run" that I experienced, but still somewhat of a pain.
    -You obviously have to change the cables every once and a while with the avid mechs.
    -My pads never lasted very long with avid mechs, 2 months or so was about it and I needed new pads, all the hydros I owned lasted far longer between pad changes.

I had some of the first hope DH4 4-piston brakes, and I loved them because I never had to do anything but get new pads, and it took a LONG time for them to go through pads. I use the mono M4s now (actually pretty darn light) and everything that I remembered about my DH4s is evident in these brakes. I've also had many other brake sets, mostly hydro, but the avid mechs really just fell apart in their 2nd season. They didn't seem to dissapate heat worth a damn and the rotors would glaze over pretty easily compared to hydro brakes. One thing that avid ususally does well is they tend to make very grippy pad compounds that "stop" effectively...this would also probably contribute though to the over-heating and excessive wear that I experienced.

Go for decent hyros if you can. Make sure to have someone set them up that is experienced with the brakset you are buying. If you aren't very mechanically apt it would be better to go with something like shimano XT that most shops should be familier with, rather than something more exotic that may not get set up correctly. Not to say that the XTs aren't a good brake at all, they are fantastic and every bit as good as most others, just they and a few others might happen to be more "mainstream".
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Shovel Ready
    What did you think of the Hope M4's?
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by trb2929
    What did you think of the Hope M4's?
    Remember, there were a few brakes with similer names. The M4s were 2-peice designs, kind of in-between the old DH4s and Mono M4s weight wise. They consisted of 2 caliper-halves bolted together. There are still many brakes that utilize this basic setup. The Mono M4s are a one-peice design, supposedly stiffer, less critical seals, lighter.

You can get 2 different rotors with them as well.

The 2-peice "floating" rotor is comprised of an aluminum carrier that is pinned to the steel braking surface. This is not to save weight, although it does come out a little lighter. The idea is that the steel braking surface can expand radially as it heats up due to the interface, and because it's not a once-peice design it won't tend to warp back on itself (a once peice rotor wouldn't be able to "stretch" as much). I use this rotor in the rear actually, and even though it's only a 165mm rear brake, it's plenty of power and modulation, no fade.

I use the one-peice 200mm rotor up front, I don't have a full-on DH bike so I figured this would be fine (as opposed to the 2-piece front), and it is. It works very well.

In any case, the biggest thing about the Hopes that I've owned is that I never had to think about em, and I never thought about them much. They just work and become one of those "transparent" components that you just take for granted. I don't do many rides where I think about how great my brakes are, I tend to not think about them because they simply always work.

In any case, disc brakes are NOT all that different from manufacturer to manufacturer, it's a master cylinder, and some pistons at the caliper. It should have some way to expand for thermal relief (referred to as an "open" system), and in the end these things aren't all that different. There's a lot more difference with pad materials IMO than the actual workings of the brake with a few exceptions due to shoddy hardware or construction.

Yeah, it sounds like I have a hard-on for Hopes, but I'd buy these brakes again in a heartbeat if I needed brakes for my bike.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Shovel Ready
    Mine are the 05 black twin piston style. Only issue I have with them is you need to keep the piston slides clean or they with hang and drag a little. As far as feel they work great for me. But I have not tried every brand on the market!

Ouch, I am hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by trb2929
    Mine are the 05 black twin piston style. Only issue I have with them is you need to keep the piston slides clean or they with hang and drag a little. As far as feel they work great for me. But I have not tried every brand on the market!
    Tim, your brakes are excellent. I forgot to mention them. I would not hesitate to get these Hopes.
    I AM JUST A JERK

Shovel Ready
    XTR's on my Niner are not bad either but also don't have the power the Hopes have in my opinion. Being a heavy guy I like stopping power. Hope's do need to be kept clean. It is not hard to expand the piston wipe it off with some dot 4 and q-tips. But I was just asking as I can't afford to try them all! So was just curious how they compared.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    Yea, that is because they need constant adjustment.
    I disagree.

Although i am a happy bb7 user, i did find that the juicys definitely are a stronger brake.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Members who have read this thread: 0