mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Boycott Bun Huggers!

For all of you folks who recommended Bun Huggers in Flag as the best way to end a long ride on Elden, I want my $25 back. The place is jacked up. Maybe fine for the drunks next door who wobble in for a sandwich, but not so good if you are really hungry, sober and can see and taste straight.

The pimply teenagers were too busy eating onion rings and talking about how f----d up they got last night to get the real food ready. The tables were dirty. The condiment bar looked like someone maybe cleaned it last month, and all of the tubs of stuff were open and mixed up and just looked like they could very well have been a breeding ground for flies, mosquitoes, and the nostril hair of the innocents who hovered around it.

Most of all, the food was downright nasty. I could have flipped a better burger at home, and to beat you to it, I will next time. $5 spent on a combo meal at McDonalds would have topped it. I mean, how hard is it to cook a decent one up? I usually like a little meat with my char. A steak sandwich we got looked like it was roadkill. The chili-cheese fries tasted reminscently of, well, nothing. They didn't have a taste at all. And the onion rings had the flavor of those little puff balls you get that are cooked right along with the seafood at a cheap fish 'n chips shack.

It's not like I was expecting something fantastic--just edible. Maybe if the owners had someone working in there who was past the age of puberty it would be worth going back.

For now, screw tradition. There are plenty of other places around there that deserve some business.

Jm.
    mtbr member
    Bun huggers is nasty. Went there once. Never again. The reasons you listed are exactly why.

Please, go to Beaver Street Brewrey
    Last edited by Jm.; 07-04-2005 at 08:19 AM.
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

Saucy Size
    Beaver Street Brewery gets my nod as first post-ride choice. Not sure where you got Bun Huggers.

p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

Ouch, I am hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    Beaver Street Brewery gets my nod as first post-ride choice. Not sure where you got Bun Huggers.

p.
    It was Silver_Slug and Fletch F. Fletch that mentioned it in the "Pizza in Flagstaff" post. Something about a post-ride tradition.

One needs to be careful about taking restaurant recommendations. I once went to a Chinese place that this guy I met raved on and on about. Pure crap. Not just average or eh. Pure crap. I mean dog sh!t. This dude must never had real Chinese food before.
    I AM JUST A JERK

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B

p.
    I third that. I can't really vouch for the food (I've eaten there plenty, but the food IMO is only so-so) at Beaver Street Brewery, but they have some real nice beers.

It's a slugfest!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    It was Silver_Slug and Fletch F. Fletch that mentioned it in the "Pizza in Flagstaff" post. Something about a post-ride tradition.
    Thank you DirDir for stating that it was a "mention" as opposed to a recommendation...Fletch and I merely mentioned an old tradition...not something that I have even done in the last year or two.

It was also a family tradition for mom to make cheese and pimento and some kind of oliveloaf/bologna piece of crap sandwitches on every stinking family vaction that we took. And while I mention this to the group, please note that I do not recommend them to ANYONE!!!!

I will take the "new information" that I have learned in this thread, and it will effect my next Flagstaff eating experience.

-SteveC
    "I've got nothing to hoard...."

mtbr member

Can I 4th that?

I don't have a very refined pallette but I have enjoyed the food, the beer and the atmosphere at the Beaver Street Brewery on more than one occassion.

Ouch, I am hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    I third that. I can't really vouch for the food (I've eaten there plenty, but the food IMO is only so-so) at Beaver Street Brewery, but they have some real nice beers.
    I don't get it then. As stated herein, the food there is so-so, yet everyone can't seem to stop recommending the place. First, Jeff has told me some of his favorite places to eat. Most of them blow. So, if he says that BSB's food is so-so, my guess is that the food must really blow. More importantly, I am sick and tired of these Brewery type places. Beer/Burgers/Blah, Blah, Blah. How about something else, like Souper Salad.
    I AM JUST A JERK

mtbr member
    I don't get it then. As stated herein, the food there is so-so, yet everyone can't seem to stop recommending the place. First, Jeff has told me some of his favorite places to eat. Most of them blow. So, if he says that BSB's food is so-so, my guess is that the food must really blow. More importantly, I am sick and tired of these Brewery type places. Beer/Burgers/Blah, Blah, Blah. How about something else, like Souper Salad.
    Super Salad rocks

(And no offense, but Chuys IS good.)

Ouch, I am hot!
    Super Salad rocks

(And no offense, but Chuys IS good.)
    Fine, you go then. Go to the dime-a-dozen crapola home breweries and the run of the mill tex-blow-mex-grilled pollo porta poties and the fill your hole with all the stale turd vegies you can eat stands, I am going to Taco Bell to get some authentic latino food.
    I AM JUST A JERK

mtbr member
    Fine, you go then. Go to the dime-a-dozen crapola home breweries and the run of the mill tex-blow-mex-grilled pollo porta poties and the fill your hole with all the stale turd vegies you can eat stands, I am going to Taco Bell to get some authentic latino food.
    Well, if I told you I had an Eegees yesterday, would you be jealous?

6'4"-6'9" with the afro

Bonking ... not feelin' well I'll take the bullet on this one...

Quote Originally Posted by Silver_Slug
    Thank you DirDir for stating that it was a "mention" as opposed to a recommendation...Fletch and I merely mentioned an old tradition...not something that I have even done in the last year or two.

It was also a family tradition for mom to make cheese and pimento and some kind of oliveloaf/bologna piece of crap sandwitches on every stinking family vaction that we took. And while I mention this to the group, please note that I do not recommend them to ANYONE!!!!

I will take the "new information" that I have learned in this thread, and it will effect my next Flagstaff eating experience.

-SteveC
    Can't contest. However, consider this: The other night after work I did a monster ride on South Mountain. Left when the sun was up and did the 2nd half of the ride w/ my light. Great ride. By the time I returned to my car I was close to 100% bonk. I dragged myself to my car, loaded the bike and headed to Circle K. Those two hot dogs I had there were possibly the best food I had ever tasted. Easily up there w/ a Ruth's steak (OK, maybe that's an exaggeration).

My point is: food tastes better than it really is when you're dead tired after a great ride. Add buddies and the joy of being in Flag after an epic ride (and a pending spin in Sedona for part II of the afternoon) and it's easy to love whatever you eat. If I were to stop there during a road trip, I'd probably run out screaming. Will try this other joint folks are mentioning next trip up there. Sorry for any indigestion I may have caused.

Stu

BTW -- I caught this thread from my hotel in Washington while checking work emails on vacation. And I still can't stay away from this damn website!!! What's more sick, that I check work emails on vacation, or that I post here on vacation? (Granted, it is a family reunion, so that explains some of it.)

Ouch, I am hot!
    Eegees? Is that a slurpee joint? I am jealous of everything you do.
    I AM JUST A JERK

mtbr member
    I would only add that at one time, several years ago, Bunhuggers was about the only decent burger place in Flag. I would say very similar to Chuckbox in Tempe (cooked over mesquite, same build it yourself thing, same cleanliness level). Pretty good back then for Flag. Obviously a little different story these days.

mtbr member
    Eegees? Is that a slurpee joint? I am jealous of everything you do.
    A slurpee joing? It's THE slurpee joint.

Are you jealous of me spending the last two weekends in the attic. (Sorry, that is why I missed the Sunday ride. I was installing a new sound system in the house. I needed to get it done before the 4th.)

Occidental Tourist
    and none for me? not even Rosas? duuude....
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by YuriB
    and none for me? not even Rosas? duuude....
    I tried, but it melted on the way up, I swear it did

Ouch, I am hot!
    A slurpee joing? It's THE slurpee joint.

Are you jealous of me spending the last two weekends in the attic. (Sorry, that is why I missed the Sunday ride. I was installing a new sound system in the house. I needed to get it done before the 4th.)
    First, I am really tired of your house issues. Its over. No more credit. No more free passes. No more sympathy. As far as I am concerned, your house is done, finished, over.

Second, it sounds like you had a nice party at your place on the 4th. Thanks for the invite sarcastic boy.

Third, 7-11 is THE slurpee joint. "7-11's got Slurpee Rock Cups!!"

Fourth, it was a Saturday ride.
    I AM JUST A JERK

mtbr member
    First, I am really tired of your house issues. Its over. No more credit. No more free passes. No more sympathy. As far as I am concerned, your house is done, finished, over.

Second, it sounds like you had a nice party at your place on the 4th. Thanks for the invite sarcastic boy.

Third, 7-11 is THE slurpee joint. "7-11's got Slurpee Rock Cups!!"

Fourth, it was a Saturday ride.
    Okay, okay, I didn't HAVE to get it installed by the 4th, but I WANTED to. (We headed down to Tucson for the fourth, but I wanted to get the system in before then....it was a gift the SO and I bought for each other, so I was anxious to get it in.) Oh hell, why am I even bothering to explain myself. You don't even stop and say hi.

Only problem with 7-11, you need to seach hi and low for the sugar free ones.

Ouch, I am hot!
    Okay, okay, I didn't HAVE to get it installed by the 4th, but I WANTED to. (We headed down to Tucson for the fourth, but I wanted to get the system in before then....it was a gift the SO and I bought for each other, so I was anxious to get it in.) Oh hell, why am I even bothering to explain myself. You don't even stop and say hi.

Only problem with 7-11, you need to seach hi and low for the sugar free ones.
    Sugar free slurpees. What was that noise I just heard? Oh...I think it was your credibility, on Slurpees and everything else, floating away in the wind. Sugar free slurpees!!!! My god man.

I do stop by and say hello, but everytime I do, its the SO that talks to me while you hide in the attic.
    I AM JUST A JERK

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    One needs to be careful about taking restaurant recommendations. I once went to a Chinese place that this guy I met raved on and on about. Pure crap. Not just average or eh. Pure crap. I mean dog sh!t. This dude must never had real Chinese food before.
    It's OT, but if you find a real chinese place in Phoenix let me know.

Then again, most of the real Chinese food tastes like crap too. See the picture for one reason why. Hint: the small red barrels take the place of indoor plumbing in many parts of China.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lkfoster
    It's OT, but if you find a real chinese place in Phoenix let me know.

Then again, most of the real Chinese food tastes like crap too. See the picture for one reason why.
    HHmmm, I take it you've never been to China?

We went about a year ago, and looked for something authentic when we returned. Rey's market at the Cofo center has really good Chinese goods. The closet place we found to authentic Chinese food I think was called Great Wall at Camelback and 35th Ave.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    HHmmm, I take it you've never been to China?
    Nope, four years in Taiwan and six months in China, mostly Shanghai where the picture was taken. Which is longer than ghe time I've spent in PHX since 1994 which is why I don't know where the decent places are.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lkfoster
    Nope, four years in Taiwan and six months in China, mostly Shanghai where the picture was taken. Which is longer than ghe time I've spent in PHX since 1994 which is why I don't know where the decent places are.
    When I was at Purdue, I had several friends from Taiwan. When we'd hit a Chinese restaurant they'd always order off the menu, or even more interesting, ask for and get what I presume to have been the 'real Chinese food' menu. Maybe it's just a matter of knowing the secret handshake?

BTW, Beaver Street does have good food, if overpriced. Over the years, I've learned people like to hedge their bets when giving most any recommendation - restaurant or otherwise. That way, if you think it sucks it doesn't fully reflect on their personal taste/value system, whatever. Hence, the so-so BSB recs. Can't say I've ever had a bad meal there.

BunHuggers has sucked since 91. Can't vouch prior to that.

obligatory mountain bike content: Went up and did Elden this past Saturday. Damn, it's good to see Flag so frickin GREEN again. Can't believe I didn't mtb when I lived up there... Elden truly is like Disneyland - something for everyone.
    "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity."

~ Charles Mingus

mtbr member
    FWIW, My inlaws are fillipino and the Great Wall seems to be a fave with that crowd. I lived in Hong Kong when I was a kid and that pretty much cured me of any desire for "authentic" chinese food. There is another place down on McDowell & 16th St or so, Golden Phoenix maybe? Supposedly has a seperate menu for those that ask. Looks like a dump but has got "Best Of" in years past.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bake
    FWIW, My inlaws are fillipino and the Great Wall seems to be a fave with that crowd. I lived in Hong Kong when I was a kid and that pretty much cured me of any desire for "authentic" chinese food. There is another place down on McDowell & 16th St or so, Golden Phoenix maybe? Supposedly has a seperate menu for those that ask. Looks like a dump but has got "Best Of" in years past.
    Golden Phoenix does look like a dump, but has great food. I seem to judge most Chinese restaurants by their "hot and sour" soup, and Golden Phoenix does a great job with that. When I was there two years ago, they did have a separate menu. IIRC, mostly Penang hawker-type fare. Nothing like congealed globs of pig's blood in your soup....GOOD STUFF I tell ya.

You know, asking about Chinese food is like asking about European food. Kinda depends on where in China it's from.
    "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity."

~ Charles Mingus