Bootleg Canyon compares to what in Phoenix?- Mtbr.com
    Got a suspension fork

Bootleg Canyon compares to what in Phoenix?

So the new 2012 bike reports are coming out of attendees of Interbike. They talk a bit about Bootleg canyon test rides, I was wondering if anybody has ridden it before, and knows rides in the local area in Phoenix that are comparable. Just wondering what the trail is really like when they talk about how the bikes handle it.

Thanks
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by randyharris View Post
    So the new 2012 bike reports are coming out of attendees of Interbike. They talk a bit about Bootleg canyon test rides, I was wondering if anybody has ridden it before, and knows rides in the local area in Phoenix that are comparable. Just wondering what the trail is really like when they talk about how the bikes handle it.

Thanks
    Lots of sharp solid-rock impacts, not as rounded as stuff like SoMo, but still generally kind of similar. A lot of the Bootleg trails have been "hacked out" of rock to put it bluntly. Not as eroded as some of the older trails.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Kathleen in AZ
    I'm guessing a lot of the Interbike riders were doing the XC trails on the backside of Bootleg proper DH trails? The XC trails are similar to the rougher chunky PMP trails in Phoenix. Like Jayem said - it's very angular sharp rock at the Boot and that's due to the volcanic rock. While the trails are indeed blasted out and some are smooth, where you ride over rock there it nothing rounded and smooth like the granite and metamorphic rocks of SoMo or the decomposed granite of the McDowells. Fall at Bootleg without armor, and you are shredded.

Pivotal figure
    Bootleg is like having all the best stuff at SoMo (chunkiest rocks, biggest drops, jumps, etc) together in one run. Then imagine having all that chunky goodness in multiple trail options. Add in a jump park and you've got the DH trails covered. That doesn't even include the XC stuff which is kinda like a mix of Javelina and Desert Classic, depending on which routes you take. BC really is one of the coolest places to ride.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

No Clue Crew
    I've got some video of the XC trails from a couple weeks ago. Haven't gotten around to editing it yet but I'll post it here when I do. If you wanna see some of the DH trails hit up Vimeo and search Bootleg. Then search Ginger which is the roughest of the roughest DH trials up there The DH runs are very chunky. Makes SoMo look soft.

The XC runs are mostly narrow single-track with lots of loose crap right at the edges of the sweet spot on the trail. If you aren't in the center of the trail you will likely wash out one way or another because of all this loose stuff.

Many of the trails wind and twist and climb and descend with such variety and speed that you are never able to get a groove going. It's actually frustrating. If you've ever ridden Fantasy Island in Tucson it's a little like that except with no flow.

There's usually lots of exposure although the penalty for slipping off the side varies depending on location. Could be a 5' drop, could be a 40' drop off the side. My right shin and left ankle bear the wounds of two rocks that helped keep me from sliding 30' down the side of the mountain when I got off on that loose crap on the side.

I've ridden there twice and don't care a lot for the XC trails on the lower half. Boy Scout, however, is further up and reminds me more of Phoenix with a bunch of steps down as you briskly wind your way around the mountain. Girls Scout starts where Boy Scout left off and is a fast, flowy last half of the mountain down without any of the steps but a few little gullies to run through.

Right where Boy Scout ends is also the East Leg trail which descends with a little more chunk. I ran down that one in the dark with my light and enjoyed it the most out of IMBA, West Leg, Mother, POW, and Par None.

I'll post here when I get the video edited...

Shred...it's the new drug
    MOAR GNAR and Bigger teeth=MOAR FUN!!! DAS BOOT is SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK!

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    FAST, FAST, FAST, CHUNKY, CHUNKY, CHUNKY. Such a fun place to ride whether its the XC trails or DH. Lots of variety but I would suggest some knee armor even for the xc trails.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

Big B's Trails
    Wow some of you guys make it seem gnarly out here... it's not that bad as long as your not on the pure dh stuff.. I think it all flows fine on my hardtail twentynine
    I dig dirt!

mtbr member
    Core......

mtbr member
    See for yourself.

AKA shitbird
    I've ridden the Bootleg DH stuff many many times. It's definitely rockier, steeper, and more square edge than Somo, but at the same time WAY faster than anything on Somo. The video that ajcroft just put up shows some of it nicely.

I heart da boot
    JRA

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    I wish the races would come back.

mtbr member
    me too. I wish there would be an entire winter series up there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by knoob View Post
    Core......
    procor - YouTube

Big B's Trails
    Quote Originally Posted by knoob View Post
    Core......
    No doubt
    I dig dirt!

Downhill Spokesmodel

Good job! No doubt!

Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    I wish the races would come back.

Been going since 2000.
    Love the trails.
    Brent will always be 'The Trail Master of Bootleg'. Rest in Peace Brother.
    Can't wait to go back. Love the vibe in town and on the hill.
    Killer view at night from the top.
    Now I DRIVE the short bus!!

Help increase ShortBus' rep

Pivotal figure
    Milo's Wine Bar!
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit View Post
    Milo's Wine Bar!
    Boulder City Inn Lounge...always sketchy but so much fun!

******ed or Branded??
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    Boulder City Inn Lounge...always sketchy but so much fun!
    Sketchy cause the bartender can whoop your but and has both X and Y genes.......hahahaha Crazy J found out the wrong way! hahaha

mtbr member
    Kinda like Phx, without the cactus. It gets pretty windy up there at times, enough to blow you off the trail when you leave the ground.
    Whatever happened to the whole chairlift rumor a few years back?

mtbr member
    ah, that vid croft posted brings back memories... it shows the terrain very well. Looking forward to making it up there some more this winter. I agree with the overall opinion in that it is rocky/chunky like Phoenix, but a sharper style of rocks and there is opportunity for much higher speeds (on the DH runs). If you can ride Phoenix trails like at PMP and SOMO, especially the more tech trails (not DC or T100 proper necessarily) then you will adapt to Bootleg.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rideflatout View Post
    ah, that vid croft posted brings back memories... it shows the terrain very well. Looking forward to making it up there some more this winter. I agree with the overall opinion in that it is rocky/chunky like Phoenix, but a sharper style of rocks and there is opportunity for much higher speeds (on the DH runs). If you can ride Phoenix trails like at PMP and SOMO, especially the more tech trails (not DC or T100 proper necessarily) then you will adapt to Bootleg.
    You should post your go pro video from your race run, that was a good video. With wall ride and all

Shred...it's the new drug
    I hear it's pretty gnar x 2...

No Clue Crew
    Last edited by big0mike; 09-26-2011 at 08:47 AM.

Got a suspension fork
    Thanks every one, good info that helps me understand it better when people review bikes that they ride in that area.

Sounds similar but tougher with those sharp rocks that our Phoenix riding. ha, I remember when I first moved hear, my first ride out in this terrain my thought was "are you effing kidding me, people ride this stuff?". Many rides and miles later, and I absolutely love our riding here. Funny how things change over time.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

mtbr member

Bootleg Rocks!! (Literally)

Here's the simple answer since the trails are color coded. Blue trails (beginner) at BLC really are Green (intermediate). Green are really black (inter/advanced). Black diamonds at BLC (just hold on).

I lived in Vegas for the last 4 yrs and BLC made me a much better rider. It's basically hard packed with loose pebble rocks on top. There are a lot of g-outs and sharp rocks. There's really a lot of flow out there if you pump the trail. However, the best thing about BLC... $5 Friday shuttles (typically its $5 per shuttle run).

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by jdcatnau View Post
    I lived in Vegas for the last 4 yrs and BLC made me a much better rider. It's basically hard packed with loose pebble rocks on top. There are a lot of g-outs and sharp rocks.
    The north side of the park is definitely funner than the south side. Boy Scout, Girl Scout, and Caldera were definitely better trails than IMBA.