Bontrager is a pain in my....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2015

Bontrager is a pain in my....

I just picked up a 2015 X-Cal 9 and the saddle is a pain in my arse. Not looking to be pampered by any means but something that will help out on the longer rides. Thx!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RC22 View Post
    I just picked up a 2015 X-Cal 9 and the saddle is a pain in my arse. Not looking to be pampered by any means but something that will help out on the longer rides. Thx!
    There are a TON of comfortable options out there... My butt never got sore on any of my long rides (including a 9 hour beat down) on this one..

Respiro Athletic Bike Saddle - Unisex

mtbr member
    Saddles are a very personal choice, as you probably know. I currently ride a Charge Spoon ti and like it a lot for 2-5 hour rides. It's relatively light and inexpensive. I've also had good experiences with WTB saddles, and all three mid-range models I've tried have worked well from day one. Sorry can't remember the model names. I have a Brooks b17 on my touring bike that I also like, but it took about 1000 miles to break in. It's heavy, though, and the leather squeaks. Again, it really comes down to personal preference and trial and error. I'm blessed with a fairly tolerant arse when it comes to saddles. Any bike shops in your area have loaner saddles to help you decide which one works for you? If not WTB is a good place to start, as they have a lot of models and seem to work well for many riders.

Edit: Never heard of it or tried it, but the Respiro recommended by the previous post looks pretty good and rei has a good return policy if you don't like it.
    Veni vidi velo!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    The reviews for the respiro looked positive but I guess you're right, what works for some might not work for others. Everyone's tolerance is different. Just gotta go out and try. Thanks.

A plethora of pinatas
    True, saddles are a very personal thing. The Bontrager Evoke is my favorite saddle! If you are getting rid of it, let me know.
    Marty

Meatbomb
    I'm happy with the WTB Pure V. And they are not real expensive.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Once I find the right one for me, I will definitely let you know.

A plethora of pinatas
    Once I find the right one for me, I will definitely let you know.
    Great, thanks. I am not sure of your background and what bike/saddle you were riding before, but a few thing to consider:

- Bike Fit? It might be worth having a profession fitter take a look at your set up.
    - Can you move your old saddle over to your new bike?
    - Riding shorts and chamois?
    - Chamios Cream?
    Marty

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mcoplea View Post
    Great, thanks. I am not sure of your background and what bike/saddle you were riding before, but a few thing to consider:

- Bike Fit? It might be worth having a profession fitter take a look at your set up.
    - Can you move your old saddle over to your new bike?
    - Riding shorts and chamois?
    - Chamios Cream?
    I was fitted when I bought the bike from Trek. This is actually my first "true" mtb so there is no old saddle to move over. I've only had the bike a couple weeks, so maybe I just need to give it a little longer to break in. (not sure I want to wait 1000mi like Veloborealis). I guess there a few things I should explore/invest in before I start making changes to my bike.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    WTB rocket v almost same or same design as the pure v and in ti
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

Captain Calico Jack
    If it is a new bike to you and new sport to you. I would recommend putting atleast 50 miles on the saddle. For me personally the saddle that was super ultra comfortable off the bat was the one that 10 miles in I was screaming get me off this thing.

Captain Calico Jack
    Also invest in a good set of riding shorts, not particularly the baggy on the out side but the chamois on the inside. Again personally I ride with a nice set of compression style chamois pants covered up by any old baggy I want so I don't look like a roadie. Cause we all know roadies are lame.

parenting for gnarness
    you need a 29er compatible saddle. Try posting over in the 29er forum.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I was fitted when I bought the bike from Trek. This is actually my first "true" mtb so there is no old saddle to move over. I've only had the bike a couple weeks, so maybe I just need to give it a little longer to break in. (not sure I want to wait 1000mi like Veloborealis). I guess there a few things I should explore/invest in before I start making changes to my bike.
    It takes awhile to toughen up when you start riding for the first time or when you've been off the bike for a few months.
    Give yourself a few hours.

mtbr member
    Evoke off my fuel is pretty bad for my tastes. Many years of riding on my fatt butt so I don't think it's s get used to it deal. Thiknking I'll try out some WTB seats and would LOVE a pro bike fit. Need help with cockpit setup

mtbr member
    Most shops have a demo fleet of saddles from various manufactures(WTB, SDG, Bontrager, Specialized, etc) and may take a look into borrowing a few of those and finding what you like. Saddles always require fine adjustment for your fit/riding style and thus even one that really does fit you great will take time to feel perfect, especially if you are new to mtb and don't have a conditioned ass yet.

You absolutely have to go out and buy a nicer pair of shorts. Bib-shorts alone are the most comfortable, but you will look like a roadie or a racer.
    Bib-shorts under a pair of tight fitting mtb shorts is second best.
    Chamois and mtb shorts with a very good chamois is probably what you have or would buy, get the nicer ones, the cheap Performance Bike or discount website pair is that way for a reason.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by PhxBenK View Post
    especially if you are new to mtb and don't have a conditioned ass yet.
    I think this may have a lot to do with it. The other common theme seems to be Chamois and short.

Got a suspension fork
    WTB Rocket V works well for me.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

mtbr member
    Maybe I should start a new thread on this, but, someone mentioned getting a pro bike fit done. Any recommendations on the west side?