Blood Spiders Srexy- Mtbr.com
    Ouch, I am hot!

Blood Spiders Srexy

My alergies are on fire. I don't know if it is the dryer air, the hard workout today or the dust on the new trails. In any case, allergies are so bad I am incapacitated. Here are some pics of today's ride. Read Walt's report on that other thread.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I AM JUST A JERK

Ouch, I am hot!
    More pics.
    I AM JUST A JERK

wrecking crew
    Wow...you boys saw some carnage today! Everyone is okay I take it? No broken elbows? Thanks for posting up the pics Geoff! Trail critters are cool! Nice shots of the Tarantulas. I have yet to see one mtn biking. I've seen them hiking but not while biking.

Steep, your bike is seriously large! How much does that thing weigh?
    ~~~

Kathleen in AZ

Bloody boys on the trail

That pic of Walt and Rex is superb

Hope yur sniffles are better today, dirdir. I also had an off day yesterday - will be posting pics of the Somo ride on that other tread...

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    My alergies are on fire. I don't know if it is the dryer air, the hard workout today or the dust on the new trails. In any case, allergies are so bad I am incapacitated.
    OMG!!! I don't have allergies, per se, but all day Sat. and last night, my nose has been running like a hose (...nice), and I've been sneezing, etc. I can't believe the irritation. Must be something out in the desert, combined with the long, aerobic effort.
    Ride more; post less...

MTBR Tool

Fresh meat

It was a beautiful day in the preserve. Thanks to Walt, Eric, Geoff, Steve, JM, and Doug for hosting me.

Windgate (sucking Windgate) Pass was a real lung-buster - there's nothing quite like the metallic taste of lung tissue early in the morning. I was loving the downhill after our summit until my front wheel washed out and produced a nice bit of trail rash. I guess the MTB gods were just extracting their dues for my extended MTB layoff. The Dixie mine trail was a nice mix of whoopties and climbing and the long downhill back down Windgate and Bell Pass confirmed that roadies use a different muscle group as my calves and brake fingers started screaming for mercy.

Whilst not sporting the technical chops of Somo or Goat Camp I think the Preserve system is a great addition to the MTB scene in the valley. We only saw 3 other sets of bikers the whole time so it's definitely not overcrowded.

Thanks to Walt for his wilderness response (his first words after seeing my carnage was - "do you have a camera?") and to him and Eric for hanging back with me whilst I got my wind back.

Ouch, I am hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by Srexy
    It was a beautiful day in the preserve. Thanks to Walt, Eric, Geoff, Steve, JM, and Doug for hosting me.

Windgate (sucking Windgate) Pass was a real lung-buster - there's nothing quite like the metallic taste of lung tissue early in the morning. I was loving the downhill after our summit until my front wheel washed out and produced a nice bit of trail rash. I guess the MTB gods were just extracting their dues for my extended MTB layoff. The Dixie mine trail was a nice mix of whoopties and climbing and the long downhill back down Windgate and Bell Pass confirmed that roadies use a different muscle group as my calves and brake fingers started screaming for mercy.

Whilst not sporting the technical chops of Somo or Goat Camp I think the Preserve system is a great addition to the MTB scene in the valley. We only saw 3 other sets of bikers the whole time so it's definitely not overcrowded.

Thanks to Walt for his wilderness response (his first words after seeing my carnage was - "do you have a camera?") and to him and Eric for hanging back with me whilst I got my wind back.
    Good to see you Rex. If they handed out awards for MTBR posters, you would win, among others, the award for most endearing smiles while bleeding.

The ride was great and the area is another hidden gem of Phoenix. Riding with you again brought back many memories. It was like old times. The only thing missing was a naked teenage albino running about.
    I AM JUST A JERK

I am Walt

Here's my ride report from the other thread...

...since Geoff felt compelled to start a new thread for the pix...

Here's a quick ride report - after getting 4 hours of sleep, then doing a 4-hour ride, then sitting in the sun at the ASU game, I am...as Rex would say...nackered...

We had 7 riders: Rex, Steep, Doug, Eric, Geoff, John (for the first climb) and me. Geoff and I on 29'er SS's; everyone else on gears. Launched at 6:40 in the loaming...

'Twas a looong climb up Windgate, but much better than climbing Bell. Doug, Rex and Eric disappeared way ahead; Steep, Geoff and I muddled our way up. I flatted my front going UP, I think due to pushing my bike over a thorn, otherwise, it was uneventful, though strenuous. Eventually, we gathered at the Windgate Pass saddle.

We started down the Ftn. Hills side of Windgate. I stopped at the juncture of the Bell connector and waited to direct traffic. By went Geoff, Steep and Doug...but no Rex and Eric. Hmm... Finally, they showed up...with Rex dripping blood onto Geoff's 5-Sport from a gash in his forearm due to a nasty crash. Figures - his first real ride after his Cheesegrater crash, and he wrecks again with carnage. We helped him patch it up and on we went...

On the Bell connector, the group had come to a halt. It seems Mr. Tarantula decided to make an appearance. Very cool - the first tarantula I've seen on the trails. We took some pix and continued on. Towards the juncture with the Bell Summit trail, I brushed a nasty desert tree (Mesquite or Creosote, I think) and scratched the sh*t out of my arm. Nice and bloody...

Anyways, we headed down towards Dixie Mine, with Steep leading out, followed by Doug. Down a ways, I come around a corner and...there is Doug, off his bike, crying like a little girl. OK, he wasn't crying, but he had managed to flip a rock that nailed him hard right on his patellar tendon. Pretty painful, it seemed...

We hit the dirt road, then picked up Dixie Mine going north and back towards Windgate. We encountered our second tarantula right in the middle of the trail, shortly before the Windgate climb begain. Two tarantulas on one ride, after never seeing one....

The climb up Windgate from the east began. Again, Doug, Rex and Eric disappeared, while Steep, Geoff and I made them feel good. But we made it up.

Then down we went - down Windgate, up Bell Loop, then back to the TH. I forgot how exhausting that descent is - rocks, turns, steeps, looseness (aka, chossiness). No carnage, but some close calls. Much fun, despite the searing pain the the hands and quads from braking and squatting on the pedals. At one point, my rear brake lever went all the way in... I had to pump it to bring it back. Not a very comfortable feeling...

Anyways, it was a good, hard ride and a good time. Geoff has some pictures to post and I took a picture of Rex's gash with his cell phone. When he has a chance to e-mail it, we'll post it up.

Next up is the Southern Double Bypass Redux, with a slight variation. Targeting Nov. 11, I think. After that will be the Triple or Quad, likely in Dec.

walt - out
    Ride more; post less...

Fragile - must be Italian
    Walt's report sums the ride up pretty well. All in all it was a really fun ride with some really good friends on a really fabulous day. Did I say the weather was fabulous? This is such a great time to be in AZ.

The initial slog up Windgate pass was harder than I thought it would be. This is the first time I have ridden up Windgate pass on the west side and it's a looooooong climb.

This is also the first time that I rode what Walt called the "Bell Pass Cutoff" (or something like that) -- a connector trail that hooks up the lower section of the Windgate Pass (west side) with the mid-section of the Bell Pass loop. This short section has a fair amount of climbing...but then you are rewarded with more fun descents on the connector loop with even more fun downhill on Bell Pass.

The Funky moment of the day goes to a HUGE saguaro cactus that fell down in the middle of the trail. It was a "fresh" fall so it had not rotted away yet. Just when we get around this downed cactus we run into a HUGE barrel cactus that fell down in the trail. Strange.

The Mutual of Omaha moment of the day goes to the two tarantula spiders we saw in the trail. I've never seen a tarantula spider in the wild before...and on the ride we saw 2. Those things are so cool looking.

And finally...the Dork moment of the day goes to Rex and I trying to ride Steve's monster bike. Even with the seat dropped all the way down both of us could barely reach the pedals. We both looked like circus clowns on a gigantic bike.

Rex -- it was great to have you on the trails again. Hopefully the ride yesterday satisfies your MTB cravings until you can make it back to Phoenix again.

Thx...Doug

Steep Hill

Send in the Clowns

That was a great ride. Doug (or Rex) could have taken the Zinn to Tour de Fat and fit right in. It was great riding with Rex again, it felt like he never left! Hope the next time we ride is not so far away. Seeing two Tarantulas and clearing a downed saguaro were also highlights of my day. I went to bed early that night.

Let it be known that Rex is one tough MoFo. He never hems and haws or carries on about his wounds. Then there's Doug....well, you know Doug.

;-)

Steep Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    We had 7 riders: Rex, Steep, Doug, Eric, Geoff, John (for the first climb) and me.
    Just for the record, the "John" mentioned above was actually Jean Michell (ie - J.M.).
    ** Obey gravity. It's the law. **

Members who have read this thread: 0