Black Canyon Trail directions?- Mtbr.com
    Steep Hill

Black Canyon Trail directions?

There is no MTBR trail review for the Black Canyon trail.

Can you provide directions to access the trailhead on the 60-mile trail running parallel to I-17? Has anyone been on this trail? I would like to check it out this Sunday morning, let me know if you are interested in a 2-3 hour ride.

MBAA Trax newsletter has an article about a proposed redesign of the trail system into stacked loops along the model of Kokopelli's Trail in Fruita, CO. The trail apparently has rock formations, indian ruins, etc.. I see this area on the way to Sedona/Prescott and I think it is time to try it.

Thanks in advance
    ** Obey gravity. It's the law. **

Saucy Size
    Quote Originally Posted by AZClydesdale

Can you provide directions to access the trailhead on the 60-mile trail running parallel to I-17? Has anyone been on this trail? I would like to check it out this Sunday morning, let me know if you are interested in a 2-3 hour ride.

MBAA Trax newsletter has an article about a proposed redesign of the trail system into stacked loops along the model of Kokopelli's Trail in Fruita, CO. The trail apparently has rock formations, indian ruins, etc.. I see this area on the way to Sedona/Prescott and I think it is time to try it.

Thanks in advance
    Cool ride, still pretty primitive. I-17 north to New River Road, turn west. Park on the dirt lot at 43rd Avenue and head northwest -- when you reach an open lot with a multi-way intersection, a road that goes due north toward a big white pipe thingy and a road that goes west up a hill, go up the hill. Keep your eyes open to your right (north) for brown BCT signs. Head north. Trail splits in about 3 miles and you can/should take the doubletrack split to the left, which climbs a saddle (steep but doable) and then drops fast. Ride as far north as you want to, but peters out around Table Mesa Rd.

Sorry the instructions aren't up to my usual standard -- it'll get better treatment in the next edition. ;-)

p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

Steep Hill

Gps?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    Sorry the instructions aren't up to my usual standard -- it'll get better treatment in the next edition. ;-)p.
    What...no GPS coordinates? Sheesh!!!

Thanks Paul

XC Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by AZClydesdale

Thanks in advance
    If there's 60 miles of trail 54 miles of it is very primitive. The trail is nice to Table Mesa as Paul pointed out but from there it basically unridden. I followed it for a mile or so North and it was tough, it needs to be ridden or worked, lots of vegitation on the trail and it's very soft in places with lots of ruts.
    At the start of the trail we followed the East loop which had lots of switchbacks, wash crossings and rocky climbs, sounds like the West loop is more double track.
    I should be doing something more productive with my time!

Steep Hill

AZSteelhead...

Thanks for following up on BCT. I hope good things are in it's MTB future.

I decided to spend the better part of my Saturday exploring Pima and Dynamite's East Express up to Punk Rock Mtn. There are numerous trails that intersect E.E., so I was lured and diverted several times. There were very few motorcylces out there, so mostly I could only hear wind blowing through the creosote. Riding loopy horsetrails through the Metate rocks around Cholla Mtn was awesome, especially since no rattlers were encountered.