Biking in Strawberry/Pine- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Biking in Strawberry/Pine

I'll be in Strawberry next week and have seen some posts about this area but nothing specific. Most suggestions are for riding on the rim or towards Payson which can't do.

I have found some information about Highline from Pine but not how it is on a mountain bike. Also was checking out the Fire on the Rim map but appears to cross private property that won't be open.

I found information on a loop around Strawberry Mountain that sounds interesting but no details about how to get to it or a map. Anyone done this?

trails.com/tcatalog_trail.aspx?trailid=BGS122-035

mtbr member
    Call Mick at Hike, Bike, and Run in Payson. He could give you some good trail information.

600 East Hwy 260 #3
    Payson, AZ 85541
    (928) 478-6918

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    There is a loop you can do out of the Pine trailhead on the Highline Trail where you go east on the Highline, turn left on the Pineview Trail and then left again on the Pine Canyon trail that will take you back to the trailhead. Not terribly long and a weird mix of mostly too easy and some too hard. Probably the best ride in the immedate Pine/Strawberry area.

The loop around Strawberry Mountain is mostly road riding with some tough singletrack thrown in. Climb Hardscrabble Rd starting at the Ponderosa Market in Pine. Take Hardscrabble Road west up to the top of Hardscrabble Mesa and then north to Strawberry. Take Fossil Springs Road east through Strawberry and then take a right on Highway 87 for a quarter mile or so to the Pine-Strawberry Trailhead. Take the Pine Strawberry Trail singletrack south until is comes out on Hardscrabble Road.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    The loop bweide is talking about is a good fitness loop with a fun piece of singletrack. On the rim toward 260 lots of forest service roads... some fun jeepish trails around West Clear Creek Wilderness (south side).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido39 View Post
    I have found some information about Highline from Pine but not how it is on a mountain bike. Also was checking out the Fire on the Rim map but appears to cross private property that won't be open.
    The sign at the Pine TH says that the Highline trail was built by mules in the 1890's. And they didn't do a very good job of it.

The 17 miles form Pine TH to Washington Park is one of the hardest parts of the AZT 750 race.

I have hiked the loop that bweide suggests I think it would be fun. Also the AZT folks did a little reroute east of there a couple of years ago, the trail isn't that bad for a while. You could add a couple of miles to that ride by doing an out and back. Just turn around before you start getting into too much hike a bike. Unless you like HAB and then the Highline might be right for you.

It's great country up there I look forward to seeing what the Fire on the Rim trails turns out to be.

Enjoy
    Tim
    Singin' I love hike a bike!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks for the info. I'm used to riding some fine singletrack in Prescott but I'll take anything as long as I get out. Sounds the like the future is looking bright for the Strawberry/Pine area as far as trails and proposed trail building in 2012. I think most communities are seeing the $$ mountain bikers can bring in (like Prescott).

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    If you don't mind a bit of HAB adventure, there is a way to add some distance/time to the Highline/Pineview/Pine Canyon Loop. When you get to the Pine Canyon Trail turn right. Follow single track north to where you get near some cabins and go straight uphill on a bulldozer track. For me the bulldozer track is mandatory HAB up hill and mostly ridable downhill. At the top of the bulldozer go north on old double track until you reach scenic and shady Dripping Spring. Head back the way you came.

If you are looking for a training ride, I know people that do laps up the unending hill on Hardscrabble Road.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Dripping spring is where the fun begins. Veer off to the right up a steep hill. I've taken it all the way to camp Lomia. Some HAB, some steep, loose climbs, and some steep chunk downhill. Good exploring. BTW, I rode the steep uphill bulldozed section

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I think I will give the Hardscrabble loop a run this morning!