Bikepacking 101 (make up class on my own time)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2005

Bikepacking 101 (make up class on my own time)

Inspired by http://forums.mtbr.com/arizona/intro...-a-863321.html I decided it was time to check out this area. I have bikepacked with some friends on BCT, but this was going to be totally different as I was going solo. And what better way to check out my new etrex20 and sawyer water filter than by going out and testing them in real life haha.

Getting started:

Lots of this:

Singletrack!

Cabin Loop:

Sleeping Spot:

With this guy watching over me:

You came down one side, now go up the other. Wretched HAB.

After this, I meandered my way back to 87 like freeskiers route showed. I regret that decision. 87 might be OK on a regular weekday or normal weekend. I wouldn't suggest trying it on Friday of a holiday weekend. I did a lot of walking on the loose and steep shoulders. I rode when it was clear, which wasn't often. The shoulder which appeared on the downhill to Clints Well was a godsend. I was hoping it wouldn't end.

It did.

I slowly made my way up but my nerves had had enough. I took forest road 147 towards potato lake. I thought I saw a way on the map to shortcut it, but I turned around because I just wasn't sure, and I needed to go for a sure thing as I was fighting a bonk. I reverted back to 147 and made my way to 300. The climb out sucked and if someone coming up from behind had asked, I might have took them up on a ride. Nobody did, so I sucked it up and continued the climb. I must say the last mile down to the truck was a glorious downhill. I went so fast that I damn near passed my truck.

The only thing I would change about this was I had a very sub-optimal bikepack setup. I carried everything on my back in an osprey 22. It was heavy, but not terrible. The worst part about it was how it made me top heavy. I definitely had to approach my riding and obstacles in particular carefully.

Overall cabin loop is amazing. Didn't see a single person on it. Totally beautiful and serene. Need to have some friends go next time. A small fire and a beer would have made the night - maybe next time with others around and after the area gets out of fire restriction.

Here's the ride:
    Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Totally Chill Mogollon Bikepack Solo near Payson | Times and Records | Strava

Ahhh the pain....
    Nice job Mike!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    Nice job Mike!
    Thanks Ray! It's because of the ride reports from guys like you who showed me what is possible.

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Cool stuff! That Blue Ridge HAB to the north side seems never-ending. Boy, do I need to get out sometime soon.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Way to go Mike, glad you were able to check out this route. My original intent last year was to take a forest road route back to the car and not take the AZT out to AZ87, but I really enjoy that section, HAB and all. So that's what we did. I'm hoping to do another Bikepacking 101 ride this summer, probably on the same route as it's a nice distance and great terrain.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

mtbr member
    I did the route last year with freeskier but had to do an out and back so seeing these pictures brought back all kinds of good memories. Hope you set up another one John!

mtbr member
    Nice Ride Mike and great way to tough it out at the end.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Nice job! That picture at the bottom of the reservoir brought back some ugly memories of that HAB. Looks like you had fun though! The Blue Ridge segment of the AZT is a ton of fun (excluding the HAB part). As for the SR87 part, that did suck. I made it as far as Clint's Well before I decided to call it quits and I ended up hitchhiking back with some family. While I was in a semi-dazed state in the truck bed on the way back to the car, I happened to see Tim, Ashley, and John on the side of the road suffering those last few climbs. I can't wait to do it again! The Cabin Loops are a real hidden gem up there.
    Shit happens...