Bike rental in Phoenix/Scottsdale area- Mtbr.com
    NMBP

Bike rental in Phoenix/Scottsdale area

Hi,

I will be in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area over Thanksgiving (Tuesday to Sunday) and would like to rent a bike (hopefully a 29er) and maybe explore some local trails. Does anyone know of any local shops that rent bikes out? I am flying in and I would probably need to rent a helmet, bike rack, and maybe shoes as well, although I could take mine. I would definitely need an XL frame.

Thanks,

G

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Check with DNA Cycles in Mesa. They're a Specialized dealer and they have 2008 test bikes that they rent. I rented a Stumpy from them once to ride on Hawes. I suspect that you'll need to bring your own helmet, shoes, camelbak, and peddles though. They are on the Northeast corner of Power and McKellips.

NMBP
    Thanks, I will check them out. How far is Mesa from Phoenix/Scottsdale?

G

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Mesa is one of the many suburbs in the greater Phoenix area. The distance really depends on where you are staying. Could be 10 miles or it could be 40 miles! Here is a link to their web site with the map of their location so you can compare it to where you are staying:

http://dnacycles.com/page.cfm?pageID=12

The Hawes trail system is located right near their shop location. It's one of the best places to ride in Phoenix. Also, South Mountain is fantastic. I believe I saw Euduro SL test bikes last time I was there. If you ride South Mountain that's the bike you'll want. Hawes is more 'swoopy' and a Stumpy or 29'er would be a blast. I don't recall seeing a 29'er test bike though (but they have them in the store on display) so call first to see if you can get the bike you want.

Wait, what!?
    BikeBarn is good too. I rented an SL from them not too long ago. Where will you be staying? I am going on a ride on Trail 100 Sat morn if you need someone to ride with.

602-956-3870 is the number to BB

NMBP
    Thanks! I will check it out. I am staying at the Biltmore hotel, but I have no idea where that is in relationship to the city. I am a relative newbie, so I am not looking for anything too advanced as far as the trails go.

G

Wait, what!?
    Damn, enjoy your stay!! Thats a nice place, I grew up in that area. You will be about 3 miles away from Bike Barn, and pretty much right across the street from Squaw Peak Mountain. Trail 100 is close to that area too, so hit me up if you want to ride with my girlfriend and I that weekend. It will be a nice easy ride, so no worries.

Wait, what!?

NMBP
    Well if you don't mind an old slow guy holding you back! I will give Bike Barn a call and see what they have. Thanks for the input and invite.

G

NMBP
    If you don't mind an old slow guy holding you back! Thanks for the info and invite. I will give Bike Barn and DNA a call and see what they have.

G

In the rear with the beer
    Yeah, bike barn is your best bet, I think. they've got some demo bikes too. Not sure how they work their rentals, but maybe you can work out a free demo for the day. T-100 is probably your best trail bet. The main trail isn't technical, so you can do a mellow ride, but you can shoot off on some of the side trails fro some more challenges. I'll be out there myself this weekend. My parents will be in town, so I'm gonna try to get my dad out there with me...should be interesting...I'll have to suit him up in my pads.
    Salvation Outdoor
    "Take it Outside...Again!!!"

NMBP
    Well I would like to go on Saturday morning, so it would be cool if we could get a few people together. I am in Ohio, so I have only riden some single track through the woods type of stuff-kind of twisty, some roots, a few rocks, not much mud, maybe a deer or two. I really don't know what to expect in AZ. A lot of rocks and sand?

Thanks,

G

In the rear with the beer
    Rocks, sand and cactus. In 2 years I've only seen one snake (thank God) and I think it was dead. And only 2 scorpions, but that was on a night ride. T-100 in the Phoenix mtn preserve isn't too bad at all. its kinda rocky, stone/gravelly, but no drops or tech type stuff. Its not too bad on the sand either (sand was my biggest adjustment when I moved from PA) You go into a few washes here and there that you may wanna be careful on. I'm betting there will be a lot of people out there on Saturday, most of the 'hardcore' riders will be off the main trail (or down at south mountain). The sticky at the top of the AZ forums has some good details on T100, I think.
    Salvation Outdoor
    "Take it Outside...Again!!!"

NMBP
    As long as I don't face plant a cactus I am fine! I am waiting for Bike Barn to open so I can see what they have.

G

NMBP
    So Bike Barn has a Trek Fuel 21" for rent. Not sure if it will be big enough though. I am 6'6" with fairly long legs. I get in tomorrow, I guess I will just go check it out. DNA cycles does not have rentals.

G

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I've never used them and have no affiliation with them, but this place, Arizona Outback Adventures:

http://www.aoa-adventures.com/

rents MTBs and is located in North Scottsdale, very close to the McDowell Sonoran Preserve. About 25 minutes by car from the Biltmore. I would imagine that if you contact them and decide to rent there, they can advise you on the local trails or you can search here on the McDowell Mountain Preserve (different than McDowell Mountain Park).

NMBP
    I actually talked to these guys. He mentioned McDowell Mountain Trail? Is the Sonoran Preserve better/different?

Thanks,

G

Wait, what!?
    McDowells are a nice 45 min drive away. No doubt its a great trail, with a lot of different types of riding. I raced out there 2 weeks ago and got my ass handed to me (racing just IS NOT my thing) but I had a good time. I love almost every AZ trail I have been on, so as long as you have a bike that fits, you should have fun.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by gfs69
    So Bike Barn has a Trek Fuel 21" for rent. Not sure if it will be big enough though. I am 6'6" with fairly long legs. I get in tomorrow, I guess I will just go check it out. DNA cycles does not have rentals.

G
    Give the Slippery pig bike shop a call. The owner usually has a couple XL 29er's available for free demos. since you are so tall his bikes may fit you better than the Trek.
    602.263.5143. Talk to Eric or Brady. let them know you would like to try out a 29er, and they will hook you up if ther is one available for the weekend.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I actually talked to these guys. He mentioned McDowell Mountain Trail? Is the Sonoran Preserve better/different?

Thanks,

G

To be honest, I spend almost all my ride time in the McDowell Sonoran Preserve (I live close by) so I might not be the best person to make a comparison. Most of the trails are rocky with some or a lot of climbing, but not technical. What I am referring to is the Preserve, NOT the County Park where the race mentioned by the other poster occurred. That is on the Fountain Hills side of the mountains (further away), but there is a great swoopy but not too technical singletrack there called the competetive loop. How long (time/distance) of a ride are you looking for?

NMBP
    At least a couple of hours, depending on how bad I get beat up. I am used to pretty easy single track in Ohio. Not much in the way of rocks, some roots and trees, and not much climbing where I go, and definitely no cactus! I would probably prefer something pretty easy it looks like. I don't mind distance, just not a lot of really bumpy stuff I guess. I am just not used to it.

G

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    At least a couple of hours, depending on how bad I get beat up. I am used to pretty easy single track in Ohio. Not much in the way of rocks, some roots and trees, and not much climbing where I go, and definitely no cactus! I would probably prefer something pretty easy it looks like. I don't mind distance, just not a lot of really bumpy stuff I guess. I am just not used to it.

G
    What is your favorite trail in Ohio ? I lived there a long time ago, way before my
    mountain days, but I'm just curious if some of the state parks we used to go to
    allow now mountain bikes.

Wait, what!?

G
    No joke dude, that is probabaly the kind of ride we will be doing. We dont get to ride too much up here because we are both in school, especially my girlfriend, so we are going to take it pretty easy. However, there probabaly will be 2 nice climbs, but we get to go back down both of them, so it is justifiable Let me know

NMBP
    le_buzz-I live in Columbus and a few miles from Alum Creek state park. I believe the trail system has been there for a while, but has been improved in the last few years or so. I know Mohican state park is supposed to be nice, but I have never been there. I am pretty new to off-road so I really don't know about a lot of the trails. This website shows most of the trails in Ohio: http://www.spokejunkies.com/reviews/index_ohio.php

Enduroblood: I am going to check out Bike Barn tomorrow and see if the Trek Fuel they have fits me. If it is reasonably close, I will rent it and let you know. I am thinking Saturday morning, the shop opens at 9am.

Thanks

G

Members who have read this thread: 0