Bike injury - What to do?- Mtbr.com
    My other ride is your mom

Bike injury - What to do?

So, I'm without insurance for the first time in my life....and it's prolly going to stay that way for a while unless I miraculously get a job. My question to the class is this: Where should I go if I need medical care due to a bike injury...or other physical injury for that matter? I can see that if I have a broken bone or am pumping blood...I'm just going to have to let all you insured people pay for me and head to the emergency room for some "free" medical care.

But what about less serious, but still need attention type of injuries like stitches, and other things which don't require an emergency room. Any decent clinics out there for folks without insurance, ways to get discounted rates, etc?

Just trying to stay ahead of the game here......guess this is the sign of the times....

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    a sewing needle, thread and a bottle of rubbing alcohol! just kidding. I would suggest research around your home or near to the trails you ride walk in clinics or emergency rooms. most smaller clinics like Nextcare will work with you on a payment plan for cash patients... I would also suggest if possible a credit card with a small line of credit that you can use in case of medical emergencies?

Quote Originally Posted by altamesa View Post
    I would also suggest if possible a credit card with a small line of credit that you can use in case of medical emergencies?
    Aww man....that's the best line I've heard this week....thanks for the laugh

Not really an option for me at this juncture......

Rhino
    I recommend you stock up on some super glue and duct tape. It's kept me out of ER's for years.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    check your local area for community health centers that offer a sliding fee scale. they base the charges on income level which makes for very affordable care. otherwise go for the superglue as regular er and urgent care will charge you fully and then send you to collections.

banned
    I would suggest you purchase a personal health policy like something offered by United Health Care.

Are you willing to move out of Arizona to obtain employment?

TD

wawe member
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc View Post
    Let them eat cake.

TD
    fify

I would suggest you purchase a personal health policy like something offered by United Health Care.

Are you willing to move out of Arizona to obtain employment?

TD
    I'll check into the personal health policies...just not united....I'm suing them right now for being @$$holes (sorry about that....just a little bitter....want to keep this about finding good, affordable medical care without insurance).

I have a catastrophic one through auto insurance, which is cheep...but it's for major problems associated with an auto accident only. My fear is that personal health policy is going to be too expensive...and may be overkill....but then again, I've only assumed that and should investigate further.

What I'm looking for is ways to deal with more likely injuries that I may suffer....ski and bike injuries....not the other stuff which I'm not prone to since I've pretty healthy.

I like the idea of a clinic with a sliding fee scale. I'm also willing to barter for services to any MD out there who might be willing to stitch me up occasionally for services ranging from violin lessons for kids, ski and board tuning, ski instruction, backcountry guiding, bike work, yard work, etc. Just PM me if you're interested......

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    I'll check into the personal health policies...just not united....I'm suing them right now for being @$$holes (sorry about that....just a little bitter....want to keep this about finding good, affordable medical care without insurance).

I have a catastrophic one through auto insurance, which is cheep...but it's for major problems associated with an auto accident only. My fear is that personal health policy is going to be too expensive...and may be overkill....but then again, I've only assumed that and should investigate further.

What I'm looking for is ways to deal with more likely injuries that I may suffer....ski and bike injuries....not the other stuff which I'm not prone to since I've pretty healthy.

I like the idea of a clinic with a sliding fee scale. I'm also willing to barter for services to any MD out there who might be willing to stitch me up occasionally for services ranging from violin lessons for kids, ski and board tuning, ski instruction, backcountry guiding, bike work, yard work, etc. Just PM me if you're interested......

Mad:

Is this what you are looking for? IMBA

Mad:

Is this what you are looking for? IMBA
    very interesting!

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    fify
    BB:

Were you also able to make up your own Rep Power?

TD

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Being self employed I go thru Blue Cross and I opted for a plan (Blue Portfolio Plus) with a high deductible ($1750). I opted for this because once the deductible is met you are covered at 100% not 60% or 80% like most, so that if something serious happened you're not up a creek. It looks like this policy would cost you about $147 a month.

https://azblue.insurix.com/WebBcbsaz...ndividual.aspx

I paired that with an AFLAC accident policy (kinda humorous as I'm typing with a cast on my hand and currently putting it to good use) because I'm not so much worried about getting sick as I am getting hurt. The policy pays you lump sum amounts depending on what happens. For example if you go to urgent care or er for an accident then they pay you $100. Another $25 for xray ... blah blah blah. The interesting part is if you end up in the hospital they pay you an initial lump sum plus $250 per day for up to almost a year. My point is that if you get in an accident they will end up covering some/most/maybe all of your deductible. I have it set up through my business for a whopping $26 a month.

Accident Insurance | Aflac

So for $173 a month you'd have awesome coverage. Doing the sports you do you really should have coverage in my opinion. Even if you didn't have the $$ to meet the deductible the worst that's gonna happen is you'll get sent to collections for $1750. That's easy enough to clean up later on.

That's my 2 cents on the matter ...

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleGerl View Post
    Being self employed I go thru Blue Cross and I opted for a plan (Blue Portfolio Plus) with a high deductible ($1750). I opted for this because once the deductible is met you are covered at 100% not 60% or 80% like most, so that if something serious happened you're not up a creek. It looks like this policy would cost you about $147 a month.

https://azblue.insurix.com/WebBcbsaz...ndividual.aspx

I paired that with an AFLAC accident policy (kinda humorous as I'm typing with a cast on my hand and currently putting it to good use) because I'm not so much worried about getting sick as I am getting hurt. The policy pays you lump sum amounts depending on what happens. For example if you go to urgent care or er for an accident then they pay you $100. Another $25 for xray ... blah blah blah. The interesting part is if you end up in the hospital they pay you an initial lump sum plus $250 per day for up to almost a year. My point is that if you get in an accident they will end up covering some/most/maybe all of your deductible. I have it set up through my business for a whopping $26 a month.

Accident Insurance | Aflac

So for $173 a month you'd have awesome coverage. Doing the sports you do you really should have coverage in my opinion. Even if you didn't have the $$ to meet the deductible the worst that's gonna happen is you'll get sent to collections for $1750. That's easy enough to clean up later on.

That's my 2 cents on the matter ...
    Excellent recommendation esp. the Aflac supplement I found Assurant to be good also if your from out of state and travel extensively.

Kathleen in AZ
    You could always find a single biker chick with a good job and super health insurance who might be willing to get married in order to help out a fellow biker dude. She'd want to claim you as a tax write-off and might want chores like pool cleaning, dog poop pickup, and yard trimming performed on a monthly basis Not sure I know of any of those types around here, but it's worth looking!!

pedaller
    James needs a sugar mama. Applications now being accepted.
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

EDR
    FWIW my buddy is self employed and has Blue Cross...not sure what level. He pays a very high deductible and supposedly everything is covered after that. Think again.... He just had major back surgery and dual carpal tunnel surgery. The back surgery was expected to be covered since he has met his deductible but he has now received thousands of dollars in bills from other surgeons and the like who the main surgeon called in to perform the work. The agreement was that any and all doctors that might be used were all BC/BS doctors. That evidently was not the case. He is in a major fight with the main office now and a lawyer may be the next step. On the bright side one of his bills was knocked down over 50 percent just by making a few calls and explaining the situation. For example..he was told by one surgeon he has to bill by the hour, but he was actually only there for 15 minutes so he agreed to drop his charge by a crap-load. Food for thought.

Sorry, not much help. Just be aware most any charges you might be billed are negotiable to a large extent.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl View Post
    You could always find a single biker chick with a good job and super health insurance who might be willing to get married in order to help out a fellow biker dude. She'd want to claim you as a tax write-off and might want chores like pool cleaning, dog poop pickup, and yard trimming performed on a monthly basis Not sure I know of any of those types around here, but it's worth looking!!
    I know this one girl ... with like 14 cow dogs ...

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    shana and i both have this plan too,, mine is $139 a month and hers is $169 (vaginas are always so expensive).
    even if i max out my deductible it averages out to $285/month which beats the $490 i was paying for an 80/20 policy in IL.
    and the last time i even used my insurance was february 2008 for chiropractor visits

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    That's a lot of dog poop pick up, but then again, good insurance isn't cheap.

I'm blushing....

N/A
    Feb 2004
    Well if you know Java and/or C# and have experience with multi-threaded software engineering in a distributed enterprise environment, I might know where you can get some insurance and a decent salary to go with it. We seem to be having trouble finding qualified candidates.

parenting for gnarness
    i see anti-shuttling romantic bliss in your futures. you guys can hang out and talk about dogs and bikes but NOT ACTUALLY RIDE TOGETHER - the dream of every riding couple. No mid-ride 'duuuuuuuuuurtgurrrrrrrrrl...my cassette isnt working right'. in 6 months Maad will be importing his family from the Philippines.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    i see anti-shuttling romantic bliss in your futures. you guys can hang out and talk about dogs and bikes but NOT ACTUALLY RIDE TOGETHER - the dream of every riding couple. No mid-ride 'duuuuuuuuuurtgurrrrrrrrrl...my cassette isnt working right'. in 6 months Maad will be importing his family from the Philippines.
    Don't hate me because I'm beautiful and you're jealous.....

parenting for gnarness
    Don't hate me because I'm beautiful and you're jealous.....

is Gangi writing your comebacks now?
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

Eroding into the trail

Best post on this thread!

Eroding into the trail
    The NRA has an insurance plan for accidental injuries that is very inexpensive for members. FWIW

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Fyi, I dont believe you have to have medical insurance to recieve the Aflac benefits. So for $26-ish a month you may looking into doing that. They basically give you money for anything medical, so even if stuff is not "covered" you get money for assistance.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX
    Pure XCR Wheelset/Geax Saguaro Tires/Tubeless
    Bike Weight Lost: 2.48lbs (1124g)

mtbr member
    Mad, check into someting like this...Accident Insurance | Active Life Benefits | Adventure Advocates

You may be better off with standard plan so you can go to the regular Doc if you get ill.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by AKA Monkeybutt View Post
    Mad, check into someting like this...Accident Insurance | Active Life Benefits | Adventure Advocates

You may be better off with standard plan so you can go to the regular Doc if you get ill.
    While Aflac doesn't cover non accident situations, for $26 a month you get unlimited benefits. With a serious injury your benefits could be well over $50K.

Even their highest plan for $99 a month only pays out $10K.

Either way you have to make the claim after the fact and it may be more difficult to get good medical care w/o any insurance to begin with.
    Last edited by TurtleGerl; 09-21-2011 at 06:44 AM.

mtbr member
    When I worked at REI they offered health coverage for part time workers as long as they worked enough hours to cover the monthly employee cost. You can also prodeal from many bike companies and they have showers for bike commuting. Not a bad place to buy some time, but who knows if they're hiring.
    Maricopa County has a free clinic that they advertise for homeless people. I refered a student I worked with in the past, but never got to follow up with him so I don't know the extent of the services they offer.
    Department of Public Health - Maricopa County :: Health Care for the Homeless
    Durtgurl's idea is primo though .

mtbr member
    If you are under age 42 you could join the National Guard. They offer great benefits, a good PT program and travel opportunities.

I'm not a recruiter and I'm not trying to be a smart-ass, lots of people join for lots of reasons, some like it and some do not...

sadly, a lot of people do not consider such as an option, and to some it is a difficult decision with varying consequences...

My $.02
    Check my pulse...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 5bravobravo View Post
    If you are under age 42 you could join the National Guard. They offer great benefits, a good PT program and travel opportunities.

I'm not a recruiter and I'm not trying to be a smart-ass, lots of people join for lots of reasons, some like it and some do not...

sadly, a lot of people do not consider such as an option, and to some it is a difficult decision with varying consequences...

My $.02
    Not my cup of tea but it would be a heck of an improvement over long term unemployment. Especially if your credentials are limited, limiting your job oppurtunities.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX

g^2
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSlow35th View Post
    Fyi, I dont believe you have to have medical insurance to recieve the Aflac benefits. So for $26-ish a month you may looking into doing that. They basically give you money for anything medical, so even if stuff is not "covered" you get money for assistance.
    I work for Aflac and the $26ish price is if you purchase it through an employer. If you purchase it on a direct basis, it's $45ish a month.

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by DustyBones View Post

Best post on this thread!
    Did I say monthly? I meant weekly

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    If u still have the jacuzzi I'm in!
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    If I can help anyone answer any medical insurance questions please let me know. I am a licensed agent. I won't try to sell you anything. PM me or just post your questions up

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by g^2 View Post
    I work for Aflac and the $26ish price is if you purchase it through an employer. If you purchase it on a direct basis, it's $45ish a month.
    I still think I could scrounge up $45 a month and itd be a worthwhile investment.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX

How much further ???
    Hey Maad. Do you have any experience with HP's QTP or LoadRunner testing software? If so PM me otherwise ignore this post.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

I <3 dirt
    I worry about this even with insurance. I still have to pay deductibles and ER visit if something happens.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    And such is life, you do what you can to make emergencies have as little impact as possible. But they are what they are, emergencies.

Btw, I dont like being the devil's advocate but.......

If I were to land in that same boat of being unemployed. I would not be worried about bike injury because the chances are, I wouldnt be riding my bike as much. I would be more cautious even if I did ride my bike and wouldnt take chances I do now. I completely understand being unemployed is stressful and riding your bike is a good release of stress, but that doesnt mean that biking with the normal amount of disregard is a good idea.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX

sprocket
    So, I'm without insurance for the first time in my life....and it's prolly going to stay that way for a while unless I miraculously get a job. My question to the class is this: Where should I go if I need medical care due to a bike injury...or other physical injury for that matter? I can see that if I have a broken bone or am pumping blood...I'm just going to have to let all you insured people pay for me and head to the emergency room for some "free" medical care.

But what about less serious, but still need attention type of injuries like stitches, and other things which don't require an emergency room. Any decent clinics out there for folks without insurance, ways to get discounted rates, etc?

Just trying to stay ahead of the game here......guess this is the sign of the times....

Discontinue those activities.

Bloodied but Unbowed

Thanks for the grins.

mtbr member
    We are so close to Mexico and you have to ask ? Talk to some of our Mexican brothers about over the counter antibiotics etc.

Embrace society's underbelly .The Black Market is your friend.

Peace,
    Milos'

And all I heard was hourly.....

Ridin bikes is fun
    If you bust your teeth, give me a call.....In the mean time make sure your brushing and flossing regularly.
    Better than most, not as good as some.

mtbr member
    I was thinking a single nurse or doctor would be good for him. A single biker chick that makes tons of dough and has great benefits would be much better though!
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I've had a number of friends pick up employment from IT to customer service to hustlin orders for Amazon. With the holiday season coming up, it would seem you have better options than resorting to a hand out if you get injured.
    I enjoy your posts and pics... but it seems you are taking this to the extreme. Sorry man. Time to beat the streets. There is work for intelligent, articulate, and motivated people out there. You seem to fall into the first 2 catagories. No idea about the last and I'm insinuating...
    If you are worried about it. It may not be the best idea to put yourself in that situation on a regular basis. What will your post be if you do have an accident and are stuck up a creek? Poor me only goes so far.
    I'm honestly not trying to bust your nugz. But instead pointing out some obvious things that are otherwise being dismissed so far. Good luck man!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I was in this exact position for a year. I too was afraid for my health, and this ended up being my solution. Note, there was some depression involved, as can happen, and that can keep us from taking even small steps. Push through it, if applicable.

I got a million dollar policy with Aetna. Now it is an affordable (under $200/mo) policy with a $5000 deductible, BUT one of the few that has an urgent care/ER copay, of $75. In other words the deductible does not apply, unless admitted. So your out of pocket for relatively minor stuff is next to nothing. For me, that seemed to be a really smart way to go, considering the liklihood of needing care because of our mtb activity.

If you have a serious injury, $10,000 of insurance is almost worthless. And what about what happens to you the other 99% of the time that you are not mtn biking? Illness, etc.

It helps to find an honest insurance agent, not very common. I have a contact if you need one.

I have a lot more peace of mind now, which helps all around with the circumstances of being without employment, AND I discovered another important reality: I could function without employment related health insurance. IN FACT, IT WAS CHEAPER to get my own policy, than the one our company offered. How stupid is that??? So many people are slaves to employment for "benefits" that are actually anchors in disguise!

Keep your head up!!!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    sounds like you talked to my ex-wife.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    14 I thought it was more like 40...