mtbr member

Bike Dilemma for phx

Getting a new bike and narrowed down to specialized FS 29er. So the dilemma is this. Do I go with a sexier stretched out XC which just motors uphill and flat single track. But struggles with tighter chunkier stuff. Or do I go with a more sturdy upright with more travel and plushness? Essentially having ridden several of the more basic and intermediate rides in town and not really wanting to get into some agro technical downhill (I have a day job) what do the majority of Phoenix area trails favor(excluding the serious technical stuff)? XC or AM?

No Clue Crew
    I just bought a Specialized Pitch Pro. It's a 6" bike with a 67 head angle which is towards the slacker end. I can't imaging riding anything more upright.

I can't remember the thread but there've been a few people here lately buying or building new bikes and going from 69/70 to 66/67. Everyone of them, myself included, are amazed that they go downhill SO MUCH BETTER but we have lost absolutely no climbing ability because of the slacker geometry.

Go slacker and more travel and don't worry about what that slightly longer wheelbase will do to your game 'cause you probably won't notice it...

Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike
    but we have lost absolutely no climbing ability because of the slacker geometry.
    To be able to lose it. I needed to have some climbing ability first.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Cycle64
    To be able to lose it. I needed to have some climbing ability first.
    Well, even if you can't climb to save your life it didn't get worse with that new ride, did it?

Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike
    Well, even if you can't climb to save your life it didn't get worse with that new ride, did it?
    Nope just as bad at it as before on the 29'er.

OP: The Stumpjumper FSR is a pretty nice looking ride. I think you will be fine with most all general riding & some avg chunk on it. It's not the bike it's the rider.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

Members who have read this thread: 0