mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Bike Case Rental?

Anyone here know of a place I could rent a travel bike case or even any of you that you could part with for a long weekend? I'm going to Downieville in early October and would love to bring my bike.

Any help would be much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

mtbr member
    I was thinking of doing this in when I am in Austin, TX for the City Limits Festival. After looking at how much you have to break your bike down from the pix, I wonder if it is worth the time. Can anyone with experience shed some more detail/light on what this will entail? What types of tools and/or goop (technical term) you will have to take with you. Also, do you have to break down your wheels? Just curious if it is worth it, or if bike rentals are the way to go for basically 1, maybe 2 days of riding.
    Making Milk by Day, Beer by Night

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    i have an ironcase and have to break down my dh bikes completely(wheels,bar, pedals, fork and seat all off), but have plenty of room for spare parts(extra wheels, tires,tubes,tools,etc) and gear if packed correctly. mine is available. also if not tripping for at least a week and can do without your trusty steed just rent a bike there.
    j

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    My buddy built my bike for me and shipped it in some cardboard, here is what it took to put it together:

Attach rear derailleur, install fork, put on stem, put on front brake, put wheels on.

The bars were attached to the stem, and all the lube/grease wasn't removed in shipping so i didn't need to do much. Took only a short while to get the bike into riding condition. Put shims between the brake calipers so they don't close up on you.

I've seen photos and this is essentially what needs to be done to fit a bike into one of these boxes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by foamfreak
    mine is available.
    PM Sent.

Shift less, Pedal more.
    www.biketrailershop.com

The are a shop out of Flagstaff. Great service and good people. They're got an awesome bike traveling case.
    I'd rather be hated for what I am, than loved for what I'm not......Dolemite.

slower than you
    Quote Originally Posted by cramey
    Anyone here know of a place I could rent a travel bike case or even any of you that you could part with for a long weekend? I'm going to Downieville in early October and would love to bring my bike.

Any help would be much appreciated.
    absolute bikes flagstaff also has an iron case available for rental.
    "May your trails be winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Ed Abbey
    http://rockychrysler.com/

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdss
    The are a shop out of Flagstaff.
    D'oh, I live in East Valley Phoenix.

AKA shitbird
    I just helped a friend pack his nomad into a cardboard bike box. Had to remove wheels, pedals, seat, handlebar/stem, rear deraileur. Fork and all cables stayed intact. Took less than 10 minutes to break the bike down to that level and would take no more than 15 to put back together. The bike was then wrapped in bubble wrap and we fit a bunch of his riding gear in the box as well. The airline (Continential) charged $100 for it. BUT, if you can fit it all in a box that is less than 64" (length + width + thickness) there is no charge.

The cardboard box obviously isn't as "safe" as the hard cases but it looks like lots of these cases are over the 64" measurement anyway so you would still pay the fee on top of the case rental.

BTW, if you go this route, call up your local LBS, they probably have an extra bike box laying around waiting for the dumpster.
    JRA

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I might go the cardboard box route. I'm flying southwest, and I could optionally break down wheels/fork into one box, and the bike in the other. That way i might be able to keep it under the 62" measure as I can check 2 "bags" free.

Hard case might be a good way too. SW only charges 50/each way, and the bike rental is more than that.

Members who have read this thread: 0