which bike to bring?- Mtbr.com
    bike weenie

which bike to bring?

Coming in from OH for a couple days of riding prior to a business trip, like some moderately technical stuff, but looking to just take it kind of easy and don't feel like picking Cholla out of my a$$- probably will ride at McDowell since am staying in Scottsdale.

Decision is between 25ish lb Strong steel hardtail 29er with 100m fork, vs Turner 5-spot in CC mode at around 27.5 lb.

Am torn... any advice from locals? Either way I'm sure is fine, but having trouble deciding which to pack.

Thanks in advance!

A plethora of pinatas
    For McDowell, I think the HT 29er would be a better call than the 5-spot. There is not enough technical stuff out there to do the 5-spot justice.

If you hit Mormon-National at South Mountain, the 5-spot would be a good fit.

Have fun!
    Marty

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by RWGreen
    Coming in from OH for a couple days of riding prior to a business trip, like some moderately technical stuff, but looking to just take it kind of easy and don't feel like picking Cholla out of my a$$- probably will ride at McDowell since am staying in Scottsdale.

Decision is between 25ish lb Strong steel hardtail 29er with 100m fork, vs Turner 5-spot in CC mode at around 27.5 lb.

Am torn... any advice from locals? Either way I'm sure is fine, but having trouble deciding which to pack.

Thanks in advance!
    As a former OH rider who now lives in Phx and owns both a 29er (Salsa dos Niner) and a 5Spot, I recommend the Strong if you are only going to ride McDowell Regional Park. 5Spot would be recommended if you get down to South Mountain. Honestly though, either bike would work anywhere... You should try hooking up for a ride at our Hawes trails - Trails not too techy and are much prettier than @ McDowell Park. Pack plyers in your camelbak for the cholla.

Post up your travel days and you might get some trial guides!

Not a Barry supporter.
    Yea, what they said...9er.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

Ouch, I am hot!
    Bring the 29er if you ride Hawes or the McDowell Loops/Pemberton.
    I AM JUST A JERK

bike weenie
    Helpful - thanks... I was thinking the niner also, since it's mud season here and am seriously out of shape as a result.

Plan to ride Sunday afternoon and Monday morning-afternoon. Sunday some locals are already taking me somewhere - not sure where, and Monday was planning McDowell since I'm meeting another guy who is renting at AOA which is pretty close to there and where we are staying. If there's something better we should consider though, would be open to other suggestions. Just not sure I want to do National. Rode it before and was fine up Mormon, but many parts of the ride down were a little over my head the first time I did it.

Kathleen - that's funny - I was just thinking this morning I needed to put some pliers in my pack

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by RWGreen
    Kathleen - that's funny - I was just thinking this morning I needed to put some pliers in my pack
    Flat-nose jewelry pliers work best... Needle nose if you don't have flat ones.

I lived in Columbus 97-99. Loved the people and the town, hated the weather. I was surprised that there is really good riding to be had in Ohio - only problem was that you have to drive so far to get to it. Needed sunshine and warmth so I moved to AZ in '00.

bike weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    Flat-nose jewelry pliers work best... Needle nose if you don't have flat ones.

I lived in Columbus 97-99. Loved the people and the town, hated the weather. I was surprised that there is really good riding to be had in Ohio - only problem was that you have to drive so far to get to it. Needed sunshine and warmth so I moved to AZ in '00.
    Yep... I'm in Cols, used to work with Robin. We've probably met once or twice.

There are a couple new spots to ride - but it's still not the best. A new loop at Alum north of the old one that holds up much better, and is much more fun. Also - Mohican has a really really good trail now that's only about an hour drive from the N end of the City.

Members who have read this thread: 0